The Big Bad Backlog Topic

That was fast; I imagine you really enjoyed Shenmue III to finish it so quickly! This makes me look forward to starting it even more.

Unfortunately my backlog has grown since my last post, with the purchase of a Switch Lite and Breath of the Wild. I also added the digital copy of Shenmue III I redeemed from Kickstarter and bought three more PS4 games on sale: The Last of Us: Remastered, Life is Strange 2, and Grand Theft Auto V. The Last of Us will technically be a replay (I played through the original on PS3), but it’s so good it warrants a replay before the sequel arrives.

I decided not to go ahead with the shift to PC. With so many current generation console games to play and the next generation consoles confirmed to be backward compatible, it’s hard to justify at the moment. I’m also fairly confident that the performance issues in some of the PS4 Pro games will disappear when PS5 comes out, and if the PS5 has exclusives anything like PS4 I will most likely get one. So I’ll probably just wait to play those games (on a PS5 console).

I feel that not getting a PC is also very helpful for your backlog :anjou_embarrassed: Maybe once you’ve exhausted all there is on console (there’s actually only three confirmed games coming out next year that I want so far) you can go through your Steam backlog in retirement!

Indeed. One thing I’ve come to appreciate from this topic is the value in making the most of what you already have.

I’m also not sure how much I’ll play the Switch, as there’s only a couple of exclusives that really interest me, so I don’t foresee another huge backlog springing into existence there. It sits in a middle ground between high production value games that I would rather play on a larger screen and simple games that mobile phones and tablets are sufficient for. I’ll take it with me next time I travel in any case. Perhaps it will become my go-to for playing indie games.

Regarding the PC, I might get a lightweight laptop next time that is sufficient for playing some of those older games on my 4K display, and play newer releases on the next generation of consoles. But that’s a future concern now that I’m set up for the next year or so of new releases.

1 Like

The good thing about not getting a PC now is that one that runs your backlog will be cheaper when you do buy one… as long as you don’t want to buy any more games on PC (hence the joy of moving to consoles).

I got Destiny 1 and 2 for Secret Santa at work… more as a troll gift than anything else, but I will play them.

Total items on list: 9

1 Like

A lot of those games are on Xbox Game Pass anyway, so if I move in a console-only direction, I could play many of them in 4K/60fps without re-purchasing the games or buying a new laptop. Another benefit would be that Game Pass subscribers don’t have backlogs. :anjou_embarrassed:

I played a demo of Destiny 1. It was okay, but didn’t grab me the way Halo did, so I never purchased the full game.

I feel like I’ve made good progress in the last six months, finishing I think five full games and a bunch of DLC. However for Christmas I managed to gain Destiny 1 & 2, as well as Detroit: Become Human and Resident Evil 2. This means that my list is actually now larger than when I started this topic! :anjou_disappointment:

Dreamcast
Ecco the Dolphin
Fur Fighters
Sega Rally 2
Skies of Arcadia

PC
Black Mesa (Finally content complete! But waiting for some polish in v1.0 before I start…)
Far Cry New Dawn
Planet Zoo - in progress

PS4
Detroit: Become Human
Resident Evil Origins
Resident Evil 2

Xbox One
Destiny
Destiny 2

Total items on list: 12

The next new release I’m interested in is Resident Evil 3 in April, so my plan is to finish Planet Zoo, play through the Destinys and then get through RE Origins and 2 before then! Maybe Detroit too…

1 Like

Let’s see if I can compile my current list.

Completed

PS4

• The Last Guardian
  • Oxenfree
  • Control
  • Destiny 1
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • Nier Automata
  • RiME
  • Afterparty
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Life is Strange
  • Transistor
  • Firewatch
  • ABZU
  • Entwined
  • Broken Age
  • Limbo
  • Never Alone
  • The Legend of Korra
  • Thomas Was Alone

PC

• Superliminal
  • Telling Lies
  • The Outer Worlds

Currently In Progress

PS4

• Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
  • Felix the Reaper
  • Control (working on Platinum)
  • Arise
  • Destiny 2
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Borderlands 3
  • Vane
  • Observation
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Child of Light
  • Little Nightmares
  • The Witness
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • Unravel

Purchased (or Promo/Free) Backlog

PS4

• Shadow of the Colossus
  • God of War
  • Days Gone
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Final Fantasy X / X-2 Remastered
  • Dishonored 2
  • Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
  • The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
  • Fractured Minds
  • Bastion
  • The Swapper

I’ll add my upcoming PC stuff after work later today.

1 Like

Snowie :anjou_love:
Wow you have so many games that I haven’t even heard of… Best get cracking I reckon!

(-) Planet Zoo
(+) Jedi Fallen Order

And well, I’ve finished the career mode of PZ but am going to build my ultimate zoo in sandbox now!

(+) Journey
(+) Spirit of the North
Total items on list: 14
Currently playing: Jedi: Fallen Order

There’s a big sale on the Playstaion Store right now, but it ends tomorrow night I believe. I managed to grab Spirit of the North for a minor discount and Journey for a massive one - time to see what all the fuss is about! They have Firewatch on there too for I think 80% off, and that is highly recommended to anyone that hasn’t played it yet.

What’s also worth noting is that I have now purchased every single game I want to own. That means that the backlog can’t grow any larger until new games are released!

1 Like

I’m glad you bought Journey… be sure to let us know what you think of it once you’ve competed the journey. I don’t want to oversell the game, as much of the appeal is personal. It’s an indie game, so exceptions should be adjusted accordingly; more of a Firewatch (another great indie game) than a Last of Us.

I haven’t made any progress on my backlog since my last post (taking a break from gaming). But I’ll no doubt get back into Shenmue III and other titles in the coming months.

Haha, how can you take a break from gaming when you have a backlog the size of a house??!! :anjou_wow: I have finished Fallen Order now (very good, it’s nice to have a ‘serious’ Star Wars game with such quality) and will embark on my Journey tommorrow…

(-) Jedi Fallen Order
Total items on list: 13
Next: Journey

1 Like

Aaaand it’s done! Thoughts in the topic Solo linked above.

(-) Journey
Next: Probably Spirit of the North because it’s short, but then probably Detroit.

To prevent this becoming my own personal thread I think I’ll just update this one post as I progress! :anjou_happy:
Current backlog is as follows (:video_game: = currently playing):

SAT - Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 (Awaiting English translation)
DC - Ecco the Dolphin
DC - Fur Fighters
DC - Sega Rally 2
DC - Skies of Arcadia
PC - Far Cry New Dawn :video_game:

Total: 6

I did indeed play Spirit of the North next, which was really, really good. It felt a bit like Journey in many ways, although there is no multiplayer aspect you do have a sort-of-companion in the titular Spirit. It’s definitely worth picking up, and it isn’t very long either.

After this I decided to go through the Resident Evil remake series (RE0/1/2/3) which was a lot of fun, thoughts here and here. Then I had the urge to play Destiny so I be posted my thoughts on it and it’s sequel here. Detroit was next up, and I posted in the topic for that one too. And after about 15 years in the making, I’ve finally played and beaten Black Mesa too.

I’ve also purchased a physical copy of Shining Force 3 Scenario 2, in eager anticipation of hopefully soon being able to play it in English! Looking out for a deal on Scenario 3 too…

1 Like

I’ll likely be posting here again, so by all means keep the new posts and conversation going. The truth is that I just haven’t been playing many games recently. But since my last post I have completed:

• The Last of Us: Remastered
  • Life is Strange 2
  • Panzer Dragoon: Remake

There are seperate topics where I’ve shared my thoughts on those games.

The good news is that my backlog hasn’t grown (besides PDR) this year. In a way, it’s a bit of a blessing that The Last of Us: Part II has been delayed indefinitely since I can catch up on other titles instead.

Yes, and I expect Ghost of Tsushima and perhaps even Cyberpunk will go the same way, leaving me with nothing new till Q4. Maybe I’ll have no backlog by then…

I’ve just beaten Far Cry New Dawn, which means I now have no modern backlog! I just have the four Dreamcast games left to play and, when the translation is complete, SF3 sc2 and now sc3 as I’ve bought it also.

I’m gonna take a break for working on the backlog for a bit, there are some exciting new games coming up that I want to spend some quality time with. After that, I shall return to the glorious DC era!

1 Like

Well done on making such progress with your backlog @UrbanReflex. I can’t say the same as I’ve been reading a lot recently instead of gaming.

I’ve added another game to my backlog, or rather three games: Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection. It was free on the PlayStation Store recently. While I previously played through all three games featured in the collection on PS3, it’s been long enough since then that I’m keen to replay them in remastered form. I’ve only played through the first three chapters of the Uncharted 1 remaster but so far it holds up pretty well.

Since my last update here (in April 2020), I have completed the following:

• The Last of Us: Part II
  • Shenmue III
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (technically, three games)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Doom Eternal

Currently playing through Undertale (again) to experience the alternative endings. At this rate, I’m completing around 10 games per year, which is good indicator of when I’m buying too many of them. I did buy a number of these games this year, so my backlog size remains a similar size, but it’s good to have completed some of the larger titles such as FFVII.

Thanks Sega.

Recently I bought a new gaming PC, so I’ll be focusing on playing my (much larger) backlog there. However, in terms of my PS4 backlog, I’ve completed most of the exclusives in the list, so it makes sense to continue on PC where I can play the games with better performance. I also gave Destiny The Collection a try since the first game is only on console a try and put about 40 hours into it before losing interest.

How’s your backlog looking @UrbanReflex?

1 Like

I remember when this was true… :anjou_embarrassed:

Although actually it’s not too bad. I have Shining Force sc2+3 to play, I still need to play my unfinished Dreamcast games; Sega Rally 2, Skies of Arcadia (I know I know…), Fur Fighters and Ecco. And then I have Mass Effect Andromeda (which I’ll start playing once I’ve finished the prequel novel I’m currently reading) and Plague Tale. I also have Cyberpunk, which I got as a Christmas gift last year, but I don’t plan on playing it until the next gen patch is released so that doesn’t really count yet.

There’s almost nothing I want coming out next year - Destiny Witch Queen and maybe CrossfireX in Feb, and Starfield in November - but other than that I’m gonna try and knock out the oldies in the middle of the year. Might also pick up Jurassic World Evolution 2 and the Myst remake.

1 Like