To Win XP or not Win XP

I have a 600Mhz, 256MB RAM machine. Should I install XP on it or not? I don’t want a laggy machine…

well, i first installed it on a PIII with 128mb SD ram PC100… Worked ok for me.
Just turn off effects and stuff like that.

Why would you want to install XP?Don’t.

Thank you for that insighful opinion Gehn. Perhaps you could find it in your heart to tell me WHY exactly, if it’s not too much trouble?

Because it’ needs constant updates,plus your PC is a little slow for it to run smoothly.

Constant updates?

Yep, if you wanna be able to have that game or those programs.

Mmm… well I’ll probably not install it. It’ll just clog up my system when I’m running XBC.

i love XP, i think its great, if your on 98SE at the moment tho you don’t HAVE to install…

Constant updates?
There’s no win OS that didn’t have a ton of updates in it’s life time.
There’s no game I haven’t been able to install on a clean win XP install (meaning without updates) though I don’t get that many games so who knows.
The update rate has dropped dramatically after the release of the first service pack.
There’s nothin wrong with updating since it’s just improvement of services available and better security etc.
Win XP has been the stablest win version I have ever used for atleast a year.(Though for the first few months I got quite a few problems they have been eliminated by now it seems)
XP should run ok on your system Shadow as long as you disable all the “niceties” and such which ends up making it look like win 2k for the most part.

You should consider upgrading your PC though, I’m sure you’d be able to get a decent system cheap by now. (Like say a 2-2.5 Ghz system should be cheap-ish at the right places since the “top stuff” now are at over 3Ghz)

The only thing u need to be careful about with XP is if you have old scanners or printers and such to first make sure they are compatible with XP since some companies (like mustek -sp) for whatever reasons chose not to make drivers for that OS. (I guess the reason is they want you to buy newer stuff heh…)

XP will run slower on your machine, than 98, Shadow, so I’m not sure if I would recommend it or not. But if you do, here’s a little advice:

• Acquire/Download Service Pack 1a (or any later service packs if they’re out). They’re free, and will fix various bugs, etc, although they’re not absolutely neccessary.
  • Install ZoneAlarm ( zonealarm.com) and block any programs that don’t need to access the internet (like Windows Media Player). Although I’m not sure how much truth there is in this, from what I’ve heard newer versions of Windows contain spyware…
  • Partition your harddrive and store all your files on the D: drive. If XP isn’t working out you can format and C: drive and reinstall Windows 98 without worrying about loosing any files.

Windows XP is a very stable OS though, so I’d recommend it. I’ve been using it for almost a year and it’s only crashed a few times.

Okay, that didn’t entirely make sense, so just ignore that second statement :slight_smile: Basically, I meant I would definately recommend if it runs fast enough on your machine.

Meaning : Xp it and you are doomed.

I’ll probably leave it until I get a new PC. It’s just a luxury at the moment.

I’ve had a lot of weird computers… My latest has been with me since I got it… It’s a Pentium 3 700mhz. Now, I have ME, and ME is underrated. My computer had a brain tumor and died one day, and I managed to get a slightly bigger hard drive after that. since then, the damn thing got slower and slower, and then it started to get better. Games had been crashing for a time, but all of a sudden my system got a jolt of energy (from where I am uncertain). Since then, it runs games such as GTA Vice City as well as my brother’s Athlon 1.4ghz with a Geforce 2 GTS. Mine was a Geforce 2 MX, slightly less powerful. Then it sort of ran away…can’t find it…

You should keep Microsoft XP, it lets you download Video games a little better, just make sure you have 80-160 Giga bytes. Thats when Xp runs to its best performence…But it does have its failures…<.<

80-160 Gigabytes??!

What are you talking about Winged Death? How can an OS let you “download games better”?
And what’s that about the GBs, I haven’t had SINGLE CRASH in 6 months with one 40GB drive and also see no difference in performance from friends that have more HDD space, Again I don’t see how that could affect the OS’ performance.

One thing’s for sure XP sucks big time…

The last 6 months it’s been the stablest windows version I’ve ever used. And I’ve used a lot. And for my system it’s the fastest as well, I get better performance than with the likes of Win98 even… Though it would propably be slower on my older pc.