Panzer Dragoon V

Mute point really, a certain someone from these forums appears in the credits of PDO and, if I’m not mistaken is a big part of why that information made it into the game. Still, the fact they compiled that ifnormation doesn’t mean they actually have studied or even read it :slight_smile:

As far as I’m aware - though someone please correct me if I’m wrong - the storyline / script writers for Panzer Dragoon Orta were not ex-Team Andromeda members. Not that I think this is important in of itself, but I thought it should be pointed out.

[quote=“GehnTheBerserker”]Zwei is omre techno than PD1???

I’m gonna faint!The Imperial District Goes Up In Flames is the best example of how wrong (or sleepy :P) you are.

And I agree.Zwei’s music was a lot different from PD1’s.But people shouldn’t forget it was Saori Kobayashi the responsible for both Saga’s and Orta’s music.
And there’s an even greater gap between those two.[/quote]

Saori didn’t do all the music to Orta - there were 4 different composers involved - however, she did do most of the tracks. Also, remember, she wasn’t the only one who composed the music for PDS - Mariko Namba was the other composer, and this is probably why the PDO’s music style doesn’t even come close to PDS’. She was quoted in an interview saying that she, herself, was kinda disappointed how the music turned out, mainly because it was all done in a studio…she also said what made the soundtrack to PDS so great was because the music was all done on the Saturn’s limited Yamaha chip, and it was because of those limitations that she was able to get the most out of the hardware.

Marki Namba?Was he credited with any specific tracks?
How about the other Orta composes you speak of?

[quote=“Lance Way”]

As far as I’m aware - though someone please correct me if I’m wrong - the storyline / script writers for Panzer Dragoon Orta were not ex-Team Andromeda members. Not that I think this is important in of itself, but I thought it should be pointed out.[/quote]

Actually, the main script writer was an ex-team andromeda member. Can’t remember his name right off hand, but he definitely was one.

[quote=“GehnTheBerserker”]Marki Namba?Was he credited with any specific tracks?
How about the other Orta composes you speak of?[/quote]

Saori and Mariko are both female. And ALL of the tracks from PDS were made in collaboration with Mariko Namba; it even says so on the soundtrack, itself.

The other composers for Orta were Yutaka Minobe (The Fallen Ground - Episode 3; Ancient Weapon 1), Eri Itoh (Anu Orta Veniya), and another composer I can’t think of off hand. I’d also like to point out that Yutaka Minobe was the composer for the Skies of Arcadia/Eternal Arcadia soundtrack.

As I say I could be mistaken, but I’m fairly sure this wasn’t the case… where would you have found this out yourself, if you don’t mind me asking…?

[quote=“GehnTheBerserker”]And I agree.Zwei’s music was a lot different from PD1’s.But people shouldn’t forget it was Saori Kobayashi the responsible for both Saga’s and Orta’s music.

I’m surprised you thought that, Gehn; now I really like the PD1 soundtrack myself, but I find it hard to see any parallels between it and the music in the following games. The style and the choice of instruments seemed extremely different to me, as I assumed that Azuma did his own thing in PD1 while Team Andromeda took things in their own direction for the later games; PDO’s music, on the other hand, seemed like it was definitely trying to recreate the feel and style of the PDZ and PDS soundtracks.

Regarding PD1’s soundtrack…the only thing I find great about it was the Title screen music…the rest of the music just doesn’t fit in with Zwei’s or PDS’s style. I’m quite glad that Team Andromeda decided to go a different route aurally, and I think PDS’ soundtrack symbolizes the Panzer Dragoon world very well.

Kadamose : My japanese fails me :frowning:

Lance : With the exception of Dragonmares,the Sestren theme,City in the Storm and Ancient Weapon 2 the music in Orta wasn’t really appropriate for a PD shooter.You might say : “what about the Fallen Ground - how can you portray that?!”.If I was to make the music for that episode I wouldn’t do any track.I would simply put some distant sounds here and there.

Kind of like what they did with Sestren.

Maybe it were the acoustic sounds that didn’t make me like the rest of the music so much

PD1’s music was very different from that of 2wei and Saga.And 2wei’s wasn’t exactly similar to Saga’s.But they all felt “right” as opposed to the tracks I dind’t like in Orta.You might says this is a easy way out of a difficult question (it is; im no hypocrite) but that’s how it feels to me.

[quote=“Kadamose”]

As far as I’m aware - though someone please correct me if I’m wrong - the storyline / script writers for Panzer Dragoon Orta were not ex-Team Andromeda members. Not that I think this is important in of itself, but I thought it should be pointed out.

Actually, the main script writer was an ex-team andromeda member. Can’t remember his name right off hand, but he definitely was one.[/quote]

Can’t remeber the name either, but he worked as a Freelance on the project as did I think a ex TA Art designer

that’s fine, but your quote stopped just shy of the part where it corroborates what i said :anjou_happy:

it continues on with:

“An interesting side effect of the sudden
influx of this new island culture was
the effect it had on industrial design in
the “new” Empire.
The dramatic styles of colors of
the island people quickly permeated
Imperial culture, and soon their cultural
influences could be found everywhere.”

well reasoned and fully explained changes.

[quote=“Lance Way”]

As I say I could be mistaken, but I’m fairly sure this wasn’t the case… where would you have found this out yourself, if you don’t mind me asking…?

[quote=“GehnTheBerserker”]And I agree.Zwei’s music was a lot different from PD1’s.But people shouldn’t forget it was Saori Kobayashi the responsible for both Saga’s and Orta’s music.

I’m surprised you thought that, Gehn; now I really like the PD1 soundtrack myself, but I find it hard to see any parallels between it and the music in the following games. The style and the choice of instruments seemed extremely different to me, as I assumed that Azuma did his own thing in PD1 while Team Andromeda took things in their own direction for the later games; PDO’s music, on the other hand, seemed like it was definitely trying to recreate the feel and style of the PDZ and PDS soundtracks.[/quote]

I seem to remember before a E3 show Smilebit saying they had some Ex TA members helping out on the story and art for ORTA. Though I can’t be 100% sure.

As for the music how anyone can say (Not you btw) that the 1st game music doesn’t fit the series is just .Laughable. It the music that kicked off the whole series to begin with for heaven sake And still remains one of the best music soundtrack ever.
It’s like saying Green Hill Zone can’t be true to the Sonic series becasue it’s nothing like that found in Sonic CD (for many people like myslef the best Sonic game there is) or Sonic Adv.

SAGA music was always going to be different. As TA needed to get an Epic sort of feel to the music since it was a RPG. I will say that it?s the best music score to a game ever

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]As for the music how anyone can say (Not you btw) that the 1st game music doesn’t fit the series is just .Laughable. It the music that kicked off the whole series to begin with for heaven sake And still remains one of the best music soundtrack ever.
It’s like saying Green Hill Zone can’t be true to the Sonic series becasue it’s nothing like that found in Sonic CD (for many people like myslef the best Sonic game there is) or Sonic Adv.[/quote]

I might have given you the wrong impression here, but I personally wasn’t trying to say that the PD1 soundtrack is not good, appropriate or fitting; only that it’s considerably different in style to the PDZ, PDS and PDO soundtracks, which seem to share much more obvious similarities (both in their specifics and themes).

According to Panzer Dragoon Orta’s credits, the story was the work of Shigeru Kurihara and Kenichiro Ishii. I’m fairly sure that they were not ex-Team Andromeda members, and we can confirm that they did not work on either PD1 or PD2 (as the credits for those games are now up on TWotA).

[quote=“Lance Way”]

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]As for the music how anyone can say (Not you btw) that the 1st game music doesn’t fit the series is just .Laughable. It the music that kicked off the whole series to begin with for heaven sake And still remains one of the best music soundtrack ever.
It’s like saying Green Hill Zone can’t be true to the Sonic series becasue it’s nothing like that found in Sonic CD (for many people like myslef the best Sonic game there is) or Sonic Adv.[/quote]

I might have given you the wrong impression here, but I personally wasn’t trying to say that the PD1 soundtrack is not good, appropriate or fitting; only that it’s considerably different in style to the PDZ, PDS and PDO soundtracks, which seem to share much more obvious similarities (both in their specifics and themes).

According to Panzer Dragoon Orta’s credits, the story was the work of Shigeru Kurihara and Kenichiro Ishii. I’m fairly sure that they were not ex-Team Andromeda members, and we can confirm that they did not work on either PD1 or PD2 (as the credits for those games are now up on TWotA).[/quote]

Fair enought about the music, but as a whole I liked the music to part 1 more than in Zwei.

The Ex TA didn’t write the story to ORTA. They were just brought in to help and advise with the general setting/story, and to make sure it was in keeping with the Panzer universe .

I’m sure remember reading that in some E3 interview/report.

Hmm. Am I the only one who finds Zwei’s soundtrack easier to listen to than the first game’s? Zwei’s soundtrack seems more tribal and techno. I especially love ths song in the fourth episode. But Panzer Dragoon’s soundtrack is contradictory. One moment it’s grand and orchestral. The next moment it’s harsh and crashing during the boss battles. Anyway.

ever listened to the Nausicaa soundtrack? great stuff man, I wish Hisaishi Joe could compose the next PD soundtrack. that would not only rock hard, but also push sales into a new dimension.

Yeah, I’ve heard it, it’s great :anjou_happy:

I imagine similar music would fit quite well into a Panzer Dragoon game, even though the style is different.

By the way, if anyone wants to know what tracks were composed by who in the Orta soundtrack, here’s a track by track listing:

01 - Yutaka Minobe - Fall of the Ancient World
02 - Saori Kobayahi - Dragonmares
03 - Saori Kobayahi - City In The Storm
04 - Saori Kobayahi - Altered Genos
05 - Yutaka Minobe - The Fallen Ground
06 - Yutaka Minobe - Ancient Weapon 1
07 - Yutaka Minobe - Worm Riders
08 - Saori Kobayahi - Gigantic Fleet
09 - Saori Kobayahi - Pain
10 - Saori Kobayahi - Eternal Glacies
11 - Saori Kobayahi - Ancient Weapon 2
12 - Saori Kobayahi - Legacy
13 - Saori Kobayahi - Forbidden Memories
14 - Saori Kobayahi - The End Of Destiny
15 - Saori Kobayahi, Hayato Matsuo - Anu Orta Veniya
16 - Saori Kobayahi - Iva
17 - Saori Kobayahi, Hayato Matsuo - Anu Orta Veniya (Instrumental)

[quote=“Gehn”]But ( and this is for you too Solo) the annexation of nations that are inferior in terms of technology doens’t normally spur advancement.The reason why I know those nations weren’t more advanced is because of what Solo said : if they wer emore powerful they would

1-Have invaded the Empire before they did
2-Who not be defeated by the Empire which didn’t really have firepower that the time[/quote]

I’ve just released by the Southerners didn’t invade the Empire. In Pandora’s Box it says that: The Empire was without an army, and the islanders were without leaders. I need to read up on this again to clear up some facts, but it seems from the below passage that the Southerners were in a bit of a crisis themselves, and had no leader to attack the Empire:

The archipelago state had long lost
contact with the Continent, but due to
questions regarding the proper
succession of the throne, the heirs of
the recently deceased king began to feud
amongst themselves.
The feud soon turned into civil war,
and many of the people fled the islands
to the Continent, in search of new
homes.

The Empire was quick to seize
the opportunity.
The Empire was without an army, and
the islanders were without leaders.
At that point, an alliance seemed to be
the only logical solution.
An interesting side effect of the sudden
influx of this new island culture was
the effect it had on industrial design in
the “new” Empire.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Abadd: I like change. And obviously since most of us love the whole saturn trilogy like changes too because those games have a lot of differences when compared… But, again, the changes in Orta do not feel natural for a lot of us. Why was the art style changed? Was that necessary to portay the new things they wanted to do?
IE: Why does the dragon’s armor look like rigged old bone like material instead of the smooth armor like look of the original games which basically looked like the same material as the float engines are made of? And why are the float engines themselves different too? Surely those atleast should have remained the same since they are still simply being excavated so their designs would be the same as the engines excavated in the previous games, no?[/quote]

There is actually an explanation for the dragon’s armour looking different. Without the Heresy program, the dragon reverted back so that it was more like a natural creature rather than a dragon of the Ancients.

I see what you’re saying though. Why change the art style when the old one was perfectly good? Sure there were story explanations, but Smilebit could have easily written the story in another way so that those changes didn’t have to have happened.

I personally think (guess) that Smilebit just wanted to take the series in another direction. We’d already had three games using the PD1 art style. Why not try something new, so long as it’s consistent with Saturn trilogy and there’s a reasonable explanation for it in the story? We’ve also got to remember that PDO had different artists, so they probably wanted to mix their own style into the Panzer Dragoon world. So long as there is a good story based explanation for this (and there was IMO) I fail to see this as a problem, even if the designs aren’t as good, so long as they are good :anjou_happy:

About the float engines being different… remember that this is different Empire who would have unearthed the engines from a different part of the world, where a different group of Ancients could have once lived…

Good point.

I agree that some of the sections that required you to spin around and look behind you were a missed opportunity in Orta, but then again were’re given a whole new host of options like speeding up and down, and morphing which takes the game to a whole other level and makes the gameplay arguably better in that respect. I guess it comes down to what you prefer… I, myself, really liked some of the Saga-like tactics in Orta, although the positioning could have been used more in the non boss sections.

Understood. I just think that a lot of these design problems (due to ?smilebit having no idea what the panzer story was about?) aren’t actually an issue, because they aren’t noticeable in the final game, with a few exceptions.

I had no problems reading it :anjou_happy:

Exactly.