Final Fantasy VII: Remake

For those who haven’t seen it, the remake was shown at E3:

There’s also a forum topic about it from 2005. :anjou_wow:

I must admit that this remake looks quite impressive. And indeed the original was quite an achievement at the time; even if ultimately the industry went with Panzer Dragoon Saga’s full 3D environments and voice acting, the prerendered backgrounds mixed with FMV of FFVII were a good use of the PSX’s limitations to create an immersive story. I never finished the original at the time (the friend whom I borrowed it from lost some of the discs), so I’m currently playing through the PS4 version now and it holds up pretty well.

I just never could get into the story. It probably was the bad translation, but overall the story was all over the place. Maybe this remake will remedy that?

1 Like

The problem with this remake is it’s going to take 9 or 10 years to finish! Hell part 1 is just Midgar and that’s like 7 percent of the game!!

2 Likes

Yeah the story does seem a bit all over the place, especially as the protagonist keeps important details of his past from the audience until much further in. I guess you experience it for the characters and not-so-serious JRPG dialogue. There are a lot of dated aspects to the story that will need to change in the remake too.

I literally meant though, that all parts of the game are going to take 9 to 10 years to release.

I’d say we get a part or chapter every 2 years…We get part 1 in 2020 part 2 in 2023, part 3 in 2025, part 4 in 2027. And that’s not counting all the DLC and the inevitable complete version with all the chapters combined into one complete game!!

They could have just made the complete game after 9 or 10 years and release it on PS5 and PC, then make a bunch of DLC for the future. It’s going to be a mess we’ll most likely get two chapters or two parts on PS4 then the rest will be on PS5!! So, should fans wait? But you know they can’t!!! If the game is 4 parts with 2 cds each, that’s 8 discs!!

It’s ridiculous and just a way for Square Enix to make money and leach off of the fans. After having like 3 or 4 parts or chapters, the complete version will come out. I can see it now. And I’ll have all versions, since I’m a fan…:anjou_sigh:

I can totally wait. I’d rather do that than risk starting buying it on PS4 and then have to get a PS5 to continue it.

Not a fan of episodic content either. Always better off waiting for the complete collection that is sure to come out years from now for cheap, be playable on one system, and not risk having it go unfinished.

You’re going to be waiting almost a decade…

I’m not sure that I agree about the need to wait until all parts are released. We already have the original which contains the ending; this is an adaptation of that work. Is The Golden Compass film not worth seeing because the other parts will never be released?

I honestly wish I didn’t see the Golden Compass as I didn’t get to see the resolution. I also hate that Half Life wasn’t finished. I have avoided reading Game of Thrones as the series isn’t finished. That’s just my personality. I really like some closure to my stories. PDS had just enough of an ending to not turn me off. So yes, I would rather wait for the entire story is available.

1 Like

I’m the same. I swore to myself I would never play Shenmue again until Shenmue III was announced, because stories with no ending are barely stories at all (remember all good stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end!). I’ve only played Half Life 2 once so I would be prepared to play it again but then that’ll probably be it until Half Life 3. I’ve been turned off Firefly because I didn’t think they finished it although I’m told Serenity ties up everything major?

@UrbanReflex Yes, Serenity does give closure to a major plot thread. So I would say its safe to watch the series in conjunction with the movie. But, be warned, in the end, Serenity will leave a rather bad taste in your mouth.

I rather liked Firefly. It felt fresh, charming and the cast had a lot of good chemistry. Wish it went on for more than one season though. At least we had closure with the movie. Can’t say the same for Stargate Universe…

1 Like

Yeah Firefly + Serenity works well as a stand-alone story. There’s various comics and spin off novels but they’re not required to understand the show.

Regarding FFVII: Remake’s length, it’s possible that the other parts won’t be as stretched out. It could be a deliberate decision to extend Midgar given how prominent of a location it is. If I recall correctly Midgar encompassed 1/3 CDs on PlayStation 1 (edit 2021: no, Part 1 is actually much longer than this, but Parts 2 and 3 are much shorter) ; perhaps this is planned as a trilogy?

Related topic:

I finally finished Final Fantasy VII (spoiler: it wasn’t a Panzer Dragoon Saga killer, but as a whole I enjoyed it), both the original and the recently released Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4. I played through the original’s Midgar section, before playing through Remake (which is just this section), before returning the original to complete the game. I found this to be a good way to experience both versions, since my memory of the original’s Midgar was fresh upon experiencing the remade version.

Overall, I enjoyed FFVII, although it’s not without flaws. Like PDS, the game features an environmental theme, but takes place in a more of a fantasy-scifi world, rather than the grounded scifi setting of Panzer Dragoon. Although they are very different games, I can see why they have been compared.

The original’s visuals hold up reasonably well, or as well as it can next to modern games. While the prerendered backgrounds and character models look dated, with the occassional silent FMV, I can appreciate the work that went into them. There’s a lot scenes, for better or worse, an immense undertaking compared to the 2D RPGs that came before it. The soundtrack and character designs are iconic.

The random battles do drag on, especially near the end where one enemy attack shows us the whole solar system for what seems like eternity before getting on with his attack. For the most part, they’re also fairly boring battles, unless you enjoy trying out and managing lots of different items, spells, and materia. That’s my biggest gripe with these old RPGs, and something which makes me prefer more tactical RPG battle systems where you position your character as well as attack. You can kind of relax and not be too engaged while exploring the world though, so I’d often just sit down for a session while drinking a coffee and controlling the game with one hand, which wasn’t always a bad thing.

The action based battle system in the remake is a vast improvement over the original’s command based system. The game still includes “guages” like the original, but only for special attacks, magic, items, etc - regular attacks are pure action RPG. There’s value in switching characters mid battle, e.g. to target enemies that a far away with Barret’s gun, making it still feel like a party based system.

The original’s story is a bit a mess too, to be honest. Without spoiling anything, the main characters backstory is fairly important part of the narrative, but much of the time it feels like the story is about someone else, rather than “you”. This appears to have been intentional, but at the expense of feeling grounded in a purpose and motivation. There’s also a fuzziness to some the events and reasons why things happen - I’d say that in part, this is because it’s supposed to be a fantasy, not a science fiction, so maybe it’s a case of we’re just meant to accept some things.

The remake does a better job of fleshing it out the story and world, albeit only a small section of it, so it remains to be seen how well the writers will handle Cloud’s backstory. There’s the question of whether drawing the story out so much was warranted: the remake is about 30 hours, covering a section of the original that was maybe 10 hours long. This gives the writers more time to explore the characters motivations and personalities, often with dialogue taking place while exploring the world more rather than in cut scenes. We get to see the point of view of the general population of Midgar, that maybe the characters aren’t the good guys, or that their position is controversial.

Did the scope of the game in Remake really need to be expanded? I’m not sure that it was required to tell it’s story, but I think it works. Sections that were just a few pre-rendered screens have now been expanded into a full dungeon. There’s a lot more opportunity to explore and interact with the world. The remake feels like a high quality TV adaption of a classic novel; Final Fantasy VII Remake has brought Final Fantasy VII to life. The game is divided into chapters, which makes it feel episodic, and there’s about 18 of these which you can revisit in any order to complete side quests etc after finishing the game.

That said, if ever there’s a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake, one game is more than enough. While likely inspired by it, Saga is very much the anti-Final Fantasy, minimalist and to the point, compared to FFVII where there’s more padding and following people around.

The good thing about the remake is that it feels faithful to the original, while greatly modernising it, which is something a lot of remakes and sequels fail to do. They’re really brought the original pre-rendered scenes to life, and the iconic places like the Seventh Heaven bar, Arieth’s house, and the playground all look just like they do in the original, but in full 3D. It helps that a lot of the original staff worked on this, I think. It probably helped that the game is so entrenched in popular culture; changing anything too radically would have resulted in a backlash. Overall, unless you want to experience the original for historical purposes, you can jump straight to Final Fantasy VII Remake which IMO improves on all aspects of the original.

1 Like

I would rather make a new game, but if we (the fans and developers) did make it happen, I am curious about how you would want the CGI to be remade. We could completely update them to modern standards with the same art, or we could use in-game graphics instead. Overall, it is going to take a whole lot of spending money. However I am not going to hear or read any negativity from people about how it can’t happen.

I would want character interaction in new Panzer Dragoon RPGs like we see here in the FF7 remake (up close).

I don’t have the points of reference you would want to support my point of view here, but from what I remember there was this idea that FF7 was “mainstream” at the time, which was nonsense.

To put that into perspective, in a larger setting, are RPGs ever considered mainstream?

Among gamers they can be, but overall I would say no. FF7 was made for certain fans but some of the stories ended up being really popular with more people (the love stories like we see in X which saw a sequel).

I have a ton of story ideas here for a sequel to PD Saga or remake, but I would want some feedback on how you see the Ancient technology. For example, the Ancient technology was tyrannical, but so is much of nature (gravity for example).

I am listening to Gundam Wing music at the moment for the 1000th time while having a few beers, and I am wondering how to bring some of the political ideas to new fiction (like Panzer Dragoon). I think we could add some Code Geas to PD (with princes and princesses of The Empire), but I am not sure.

I will keep Aerith out of a new PD game, so don’t worry about that. :wink: Some fan response to that annoyed me because we did her story before in Phantasy Star 2 (to a degree).

I’d want the FMVs to be remade using in game graphics so that there’s less a shift between story and gameplay. It made sense in the 90s and early 2000s to use prerendered backgrounds and FMV sequences to make games look good, but these days everything can be done via the game engine. FFVII Remake does this well. The recently released PD1 also remakes the FMVs as cut scenes, although it’s obviously done on a smaller budget than Final Fantasy.

1 Like

This is an interesting article looking at the computers used create the original FFVII’s 3D. We sure have come a long way.

I’d like to see a similar article that looks at the software used to create PDS.

2 Likes

The trailer for the second part of the remake trilogy has dropped, Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth:

I quite enjoyed the first remake and this looks set to be another adventure worth playing.

1 Like

Looks really good and the music sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to see if we can actually save Aerith!

1 Like