Yu Suzuki 's new Space Harrier-like game

featuring the music of not-Queen

1 Like

It looks alright, but it sucks that it seems to be Apple arcade exclusive. I have an Android, so I won’t be playing it. Hope it does good so we can see a possible Shenmue IV in the future though.

This does remind a bit of Panzer Dragoon, although more Space Harrier.

I can understand the frustration about it being an Apple Arcade exclusive, although you should be able to play it on a range of Apple ecosystem devices, such as iPads and Macs, not just iPhones.

It looks pretty damn awesome! Very creative and unique. Definitely giving me Panzer Dragoon vibes! But why can’t it come out on more than one platform? I can’t stand when shit like this happens! Hironobu Sakaguchi did the same thing with his game Fantasian, a game that also looked unique and one I wanted to play. And it was also only available on Apple TV as well!

Looks like a cheap Mobile phone game. But given its from Yu ‘GOD’ Suzuki. I love to try it

Having worked with Apple Arcade before, they are probably paying for most of game, to be exclusive.

I mean some games get ome funding to be on platform, but they are paying more and more for exclusives

1 Like

I played Air Twister. It’s a fun game; although quite different in tone from Panzer Dragoon it features some similarities. You fly through a series of on-rails levels (front facing only) dodging obstacles and destroying enemies with your gun or lock on fire.

One downside is that the difficulty is quite steep, with the option of unlock more health and abilities on subsequent playthroughs to reduce the difficulty. That’s the nature being part of a subscription service that needs players to keep coming back to what would otherwise be a short game.

Still, it’s worth trying, which is what I did since I had a free Apple Arcade trial. The game doesn’t require a specific device to play the game on, so long as it’s Apple hardware. I chose the M1 Macbook Air since that is my most capable Apple device. It ran both beautifully and smoothly, connected to an external display, so any M-series Mac or iPad should be sufficient to get a good experience. It will run on older iPads too, although to get the full 16:9 output on an external display, rather than 4:3 mirroring, you’ll need an M-series iPad.

Controller support was great too. The game supports touch controls or gamepad, so I used an Xbox controller. Due the touch control origins, locking on only requires that you move the cursor across enemies rather than holding down a button, but I think it works well and felt just like playing a console or PC game.

It’s a shame that some people will be locked out from playing Air Twister due to the Apple exclusivity, and that there’s no option to buy the game outright, but it’s reality we have to face that Apple Arcade is now a contender in the exclusive space. At this time, there’s not much else that interests me on Apple Arcade, so I won’t be continuing my subscription. But Air Twister at least made me interested in giving the service a try.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Sword of Vermilion

Air Twister is out on consoles and PC now - it works on the Steam Deck too. If you want to play something Panzer-esque, it’s fun (see my mini review above).

1 Like

There’s also a nice interview with Yu Suzuki where he talks about Air Twister and the Shenmue series:

I hope Shenmue IV is his next game, rather than another IP or Shenmue prequel.

I got this game on PC, its bloody ace.

1 Like

Its really good Admial, you can see it done on a budget but it’s still ace fun and the music is ace.
I so wish Yu was back at SEGA and given a decent budget to make a new game.

There’s another space harrier clone thats coming out hopefully soon

1 Like

It looks like I already wishlisted Asura the Striker. It does look quite nice, albeit more of the retro feel to it than Air Twister.

Finally got around to playing this game. Managed to get to level 11: Space (second to last level). My opinion: the game is good, but the game seemingly wants you to die so you spend more time with its unlock system.

Cons:

You most likely won’t be able to beat the game on your first run because the game employs a point system where you unlock more health, weapons and secondary moves. Why is this a con? Because I feel rather than using skill to beat the game in one go, you have to resort to this unlock system after you get a game over, in order to get stronger. Then you have to restart all over again from stage 1. Wish you could have continued from the level you left off on.

And it feels like they tacked the point unlock system on because the game is so short, so you wouldn’t be able to beat it in one sitting. The thin multi-colored enemy projectiles seem designed to hit you no matter where you move as well, ultimately cheap-shoting your life away. And since the later levels get more frantic with enemies, you get hit more often unless you can power through with the extra life and items you unlocked.

Pros:

Other than that, the game has an amazing soundtrack, dreamy, surreal visuals and is fun to play. That is, until you die!

1 Like