XBox 360's design

To be perfectly honest Oblivion is reason enough for me to buy the X360, but there’s the promise of Halo 3, Ghost Recon 3, Splinter Cell 4 and more aswell =)

I’m kindda surprised you dind’t find anything special Solo.
Lots of good prospects at E3 :

-Dark Sector : hopefully an original FPS

-Gears of War : ditto

-Ninety Nine Nights : okay, so maybe you people aren’t really hyped about it but for someone who loved KUF’s gameplay [even tho I’d change a lot of things in that game] a pseudo-spinoff with [hopefully] an original touch in it [from Rez etc’s creator no less] sounds great to me

-Tomb Raider Legend : I know this new Tomb Raider will rock because Crystal Dynamics is behind it.Lok fanboy?Could be but from what I’ve seen so far the series seem to have recovered some of the mystical aesthetics present in the first game.The promise of a bit more focus on the puzzles is good too.

• Huxley (another FPS!Microsoft is gonna score big points next to FPS lovers) : this is suposed to be a MMOG FPS with a bit of role playing mixed.The idea sounds good to me and I’ll definately be keeping an eye on this game.

-DOA4 : Looking good but if VF5 lands on the X360 I probably won’t buy this game.

-Alan Wake : Remedy hooke my with their storytelling and ambient in Max Payne I hope they will do it agehn.

I honestly don’t think I’de buy an XBox 360 for Halo 3.And I’m not. These games are reason enough.Of course I’m waiting to see some good adventure and RPG games but this system looks promising.Far more promising than the XBox did in the beginning (until PDO was announced hehe).

Solo : I thought you were a goth or something.Not that I mind about goths despite the fact that their taste is narrow as far as it’s spectrum is concerned :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, I’m not a goth, don’t worry. I like the “colour” black a lot though, especially for electronics.

Anyway, just keep in mind that games like Oblivion, Alan Wake, and Tomb Raider Legend shouldn’t count as reasons solely for getting an Xbox 360. Make sure there’s at least one must have exclusive that you really want, otherwise why not get a PS3 or something else instead? At least, that’s the way I’m looking at it. Oblivion is coming to PS3 and PC as well. Alan Wake should be amazing (I loved the Max Payne games) but it’s far from a 360 exclusive. Tomb Raider Legend… when has a Tomb Raider game not been on a Playstation (apart from the Gameboy ones)?

I’m just being really weary of the new consoles… sure, FPSs are nice but the Xbox 360 FPSs will need something to set them apart from the others to grab my attention. The PC has always been the home of the FPS as well, and I believe that will continue… just last year we got Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Far Cry, all of which rival Halo 2 in their own ways (although not in story and music IMO).

I haven’t looked into Ninety Nine Nights, but I’ll do that at some point in the future.

I like black things because of the Saturn =)
Thats why I have a black GBA SP and mp3 player =)

I think the revolution looks best, then xbox 360, followed by the PS3 =S

Well forget those three games then Solo.I dind’t know you wanted exclusives.The fact that those 3 can be found in other systems is still a plus for the X360 since it’s the only way to play those and X360 exclusives…I’m just talking about this E3 tho.I’m sure there are many cool and exclusive games coming.

The FPS I mentioned already have something setting them apart.Huxley is a MMOG,Gears of War is suposed to be a kind of original in terms of gameplay since apparently it’s a hybrid between tacticalshooting and survival horror (maybe that’s not so original I dunno), and Dark Sector (the game I’m probably looking forward the most) is a bit of a mystery in terms of gameplay but the ambient and the music playing in one of the trailers (Yakudo!! I hope iit’s in the game) put me on the lookout.

As for the PC beeing the home of FPSs - I enjoy a game for what it is and not for the history of the genre in it’s platform.If that meant anything to me I’d be playing in a PS2 since I tend to like RPG’s.Things is most RPG’s found on the PS2 don’t really call me.

I certainly palyed more game son the pC than in any other platform and ijust to point out (coicidence or not) my two favourtie FPSs were console games.

Exhumed (powerslave) and Halo

EDIT: Btw I forgot to mention the Too Human trilogy who’s beeing developed by Silico Knights exclusively for the X360.And not this has nothing to do with Sega.

Yeah, exclusives are what I’m looking for. Apart from Halo 3, I have no reason to choose Xbox 360 above the PS3, Revolution, or upgrading my PC at this point. I’ll read up about those Xbox 360 FPSs and weigh up if they’re worth the price of a new console.

What I meant by the PC being the home of FPSs, is that they typically play better on the PC. Not always; Halo worked brilliantly with a controller, but Halo is exception to the rule. Often FPSs that come out for both PC and console work better with mouse controls (especially for aiming more precisely with weapons such as a sniper rifle), and that fact that you can play free mods can add a lot to games too? not to mention free online play.

The PS2 may be the main system for Japanese RPGs, but when it comes to western RPGs the Xbox and PC completely own it. :anjou_happy:

Truth be told though, there’s not a lot that I’m looking forward to on the PC at the moment anyway… just Dragon Age (a Bioware RPG) and Half-Life 2: Aftermath which will both most likely run fine on my current PC anyway. PS3… Sony hasn?t announced any PS3 titles that really grab me at this point of time and we know next to nothing about what the Revolution is even capable to doing.

So Gears of War and Lost Odyssey don’t catch your eye for the 360? Well, mayber not L.O. if you don’t like those types of games but NOT GEARS OF WAR!!! You speak craziness. :anjou_happy: Well, G.O.W. might not be just on the 360 but that’s all they’re planning it for now, it will probably go to the PS3 and/or PC sometime afterwards… but still, craziness I say.

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]
What I meant by the PC being the home of FPSs, is that they typically play better on the PC. Not always; Halo worked brilliantly with a controller, but Halo is exception to the rule.[/quote]

I think the Saturn version of Quake and DC Quake III were also pretty good for control methods. Once you got a bit of speed up with the “look” button on Quake I it could be just as good as the PC method.

i’m sure that Halo with a keyboard/mouse would be better than a controller. Althought i know the PC version was ported really badly, i think if it was ported well it woul dbe good. Or maybe an xbox keyboard/mouse combo…

Nothing yet has convinced me that Gears of War will be anything more than a generic FPS with really good graphics. If it’s anything like Doom 3, I won’t be all that interested (Doom 3 had great graphics and atmosphere, but the gameplay didn’t keep me interested for long), but if it turns out to be an excellent story driven FPS then I may change my mind. So, at the moment, no it isn’t something that I’d buy a whole console for. Lost Odyssey looks like it might appeal to me though, if the gameplay and story are good as well (the graphics are certainly nice).

Arcie: I haven’t played Quake and Quake III on consoles, but I played Unreal Tournament on the Dreamcast and the controls just didn’t work for me. Halo and Halo 2 are the only FPSs that I’ve enjoyed on consoles. I didn’t even like the controls in the Xbox version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it just didn’t feel right after playing the PC version.

I believe DOOM 3 was WAY overrated, as I believe the same with the Halo franchise. I’m not saying I hate Halo, I just really don’t see what is so special about it (I don’t hate halo, I have both of them to tell you the truth). One of the reasons I think G.O.W. is going to be great is the fact it’s being developed by Epic Games. From what I can tell, it’s not going to be just senseless killing without a real purpose (as they do wtih the unreal tournaments and championships), or a nonconvincing attempt as some games such as DOOM do.

I played Unreal on Dreamcast at my friends house, the controlls were horrible. It wasn’t really anyone’s fault, it’s hard to make a FPS that allows you to look in all directions with a controller that only has a D pad, one thumb stick, and four buttons to move around with. I never tried to change my controlls, but I really could have used the four buttons for aiming instead of running, that just confused me. I’m not used to using my left thumb for aiming and the right for running.

To be honest with you guys, I really enjoy FPSs on consoles more than a computer. I also don’t see much difference in using a mouse than a joy stick besids the fact that it’s easier to aim at a certain spot but that’s never really a problem for me anyways.

Well if Unreal on the DC was that bad then it was a bad port. Quake 3 on the Dreamcast played surprisingly well despite the lack of enough buttons to incorporate all the available actions. After getting the hang of it gameplay was almost as fast as on the PC without any problems in aiming or anything like that (though I chose to sacrifice the crouch action in my configruation).

In fact I find it much more cumbersome to have to use two sticks in newer console FPS games… Then again I was never used to the analogue deal at all aside from Nights on the Saturn, Quake 3 on the DC and Wipeout 3 on the PSOne…

About Gears of War, I thought this was actually going to be a third person game, not a FPS… Link to information that confirm it as a FPS anyone (can’t bother looking it up atm)?

As for enjoying FPS games more on console than on PC, I guess that’s just a matter of preference. I’m used to my WASD + Mouse deal and I’ll never be as comfortable with anything else. I’d only play a FPS on console if I had no choice (ie it was an exclusive). Other than that, even if the controls felt just as good (which they don’t to me) I’d still pick the PC version for the much wider offer in additional fan made (and often official) content. I suppose it also depends on what games you’ve tried it with and for how long.

Anyway, since you found Halo and Doom 3 way overrated and as nothing special (I agree with that btw, especially for Doom 3 regardless of what version of it we are talking about), what are the games that make you enjoy FPS games more on the consoles than on the PC? Just curious.

It is noticable though, that my most memorable FPS’s were ont he saturn (Duke Nukem 3D and Exhumed)

But then you get amazing games like far cry on the pc. I guess its just easier to play with on PC, and feels more comfortable, whereas console gaming in general is just more “fun”

My control method is as follows:

Move forward - R trigger
Move backward - L trigger
Aim - Analogue
Weapon forward - Y
Weapon Back - X
Fire - A
Jump - B

Or something like that anyway. I find it much easier, since all the games I played before Quake III, except Sonic, used the R button to move forward anyway (MSR, Toy Commander, etc).

[quote=“Scott”]It is noticable though, that my most memorable FPS’s were ont he saturn (Duke Nukem 3D and Exhumed)

But then you get amazing games like far cry on the pc. I guess its just easier to play with on PC, and feels more comfortable, whereas console gaming in general is just more “fun”[/quote]

Ah true, Exhumed rocked, I’d love to see a sequel. Duke Nukem though was on the PC first. I’m pretty sure Exhumed was on PCs too but it might have been a console port and so not too good, I don’t remember…

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]
Ah true, Exhumed rocked, I’d love to see a sequel.[/quote]

Get a PS2 and look around for the PS1 sequel, despite the fact that the PS1 version of Exhumed had nowhere near the level of smoothness the Saturn version had.

One of the main appeals to the Halo series to me is that it’s largely focused on plot. I haven’t played an FPS that has the kind of storytelling that Halo offered… by story, I don’t just mean cut scenes, but real time storytelling. The way that Cortona interacts with the marines, and they communicate while the battle is going on, and yet the Master Chief still feels like a proper character because of how the NPCs react to him. But most importantly, the music of Halo adds so much more to the story… it’s done in such a way that it makes the game seem more like an emotional movie rather than a mindless blaster. All these things put together turn Halo into something that I have yet to see rivaled in any other first person shooter.

Anyway, I’m going to take a wait and see approach for Gears of Wars. It’s too early to get excited about it for me.

(Actually, Halo borrowed most of its storytelling techniques from Half Life…)

Sure, but Halo pulled it off much better than Half-Life IMO. It was like a highly evolved version of Half-Life when it came to story telling. What Halo added was a cinematic feel to the whole thing (thanks a great deal to its excellent music). The developers knew that at certain points there needed to be cut scenes to keep the story flowing, as opposed to it always being told from the main characters eyes, and that helped to define the Master Chief’s personality more than Gordon Freeman’s “you are the player and nothing more” personality. Also, Half-Life felt like a very lonely experience - with Halo, Cortona was there with you most of the time.

I would certainly agree with Solo. The stories of both Halo and Halo 2, whilst unsophisticated, are extremely well-executed. Half-Life’s scenario was very basic - overconfident scientific meddling has invited an alien horde into an Area 51-wannabe installation. Get out. Get out now - and in many respects Halo is no different - stop the aliens from overrunning humanity. But in each of the Halo games there is a palpable sense of something more rounded and developed, something which has a stronger foundation to base all of the rip-roaring action upon.

There are lots of elegant, refined touches to the storytelling in both Halo games - from the excellent ‘helmet-recording’ cutscene in the original where the young recruit complains about rock music belonging in the dark ages to Covenant warriors chanting litanies of faith before they touch down on a Forerunner facility, and even the fact that you could see your legs in the sequel, proving that you were weren’t just a disembodied gun - which helps us to appreciate, and be awed by, the greater backdrop against which the protagonist battles. It’s an effect as astounding as when you first witness the stunning, cosmic arc of the Alpha and Delta Haloes spinning above you in their regal, stately cycle.

In Half-Life you couldn’t shake off the niggling fact that you were simply an automaton blasting everything that moved and most of what didn’t in one long shooting gallery. By constrast, I found that the Halo world was populated by people, not pixels.