What RPG introduced you to the genre?

Yes, bluntly ripped from your topic at Shining Force Central, Geoff :slight_smile:

So, the topic is, what was the first RPG you played and in what year? And while we’re at it, we might as well say which game in general as well.

My First RPG: Shining Force II for the Megadrive - a classic SRPG. I played it in 1997 when I was 12.

My First Game: Pac Mania for the Commodore 64. Obviously no need to explain why I got into games after that. I played it in about 96.

Sword of Vermilion, Mega Drive…94 I think.

That’s quite an early Megadrive game I seem to remember. I’ve played it briefly, although I was just trying it out, so not in any real detail. Is the storyline any good?

First game - Sonic the Hedgehog, Game Gear, 1991

First RPG - Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sega Saturn, 1998

First game: Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the Sega Master System (and I still have it) :smiley: 1991/1992

First RPG would probably be Zelda: Link’s Awakening for the gameboy, 1993/1994 (was it really that long ago? :frowning: )

First RPG: Chrono Trigger, i believe it was around 96/97. I wasn’t really big into RPGs prior to this game.

First Game: Super Mario Bros on the NES. Musta been around 88 or 89 when i was 4 or 5.

It’s cheesy as hell (evil uncle usurps father whilst under evil spell), but it’s quite a good game.

My first RPG: Zelda 2 - The Adventure of Link for the NES, though that probably only counts loosely as an RPG… it was more like a brutally difficult action/adventure game. I first played it in 1992, I think, aged 8 or so.

My first game: the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES, back in 1991. I’m starting to see why I’m still a fan of Nintendo games today…

First game: Mario Brothers on NES.

First RPG: Phantasy Star 2. Got me addicted very fast even though that game is HARD. I remember being killed during my very first battle.
I musta have been 11-12 years old?

first game: Bubble bobble on Commodore 64 :slight_smile: about 1991 or sumthing…

first RPG: Panzer Dragoon Saga! Well - the demo on SSm was the first proper RPG i played. I loved it so much that any other RPG i played seemed boring in comparison. Which is why i nbever took an appeal to turn based games (FF, skies of arcadia, etc)

First game was sonic on the megadrive which got me hooked to games and sega.

First RPG was shining the holy ark on the saturn. My favorite RPG is still Baldurs Gate though, i was completely hooked on that… nearly failed my GCSEs!

First game: Donkey Kong on Atari 2600
First RPG: Panzer Dragoon Saga

I expected most of the posters at Shining Force Central to hail Final Fantasy 7 as the RPG that introduced them to the genre. Perhaps they didn’t appreciate the joke I made about it and refused to post at all. :slight_smile:

I watched my dad as he finished PDS.

Five years later his son comes to do so as well… :’)

First RPG tho? Gosh…can’t remember…

I think that the first game I ever played was Sonic 2 which I got with my Mega Drive.

My first RPG was PDS, I also bought Shining Force 3 afew days later, which might explain why I love RPGs so much.

Well… first games I played were at the arcades, I don’t remember which the FIRST EVER one was but I have a few highlights of the old like bubble bobble, ghouls and ghosts (or was it ghosts n goblins?), cadillacs and dinosaurs, Street Fighter II, snow bros, wonder boy, wonder boy in monster land ( I think that the title…that rpg-ish game) and others…
I think the first RPG I played was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the GAMEBOY (NOT for SNES), it’s not a ff game, it’s actually the first chapter of the seiken densetsu series (known by legend/sword of mana outside japan) and it was basically a pretty good zelda clone. But yeah since it was heavy on the action I’ll go ahead and say the first true RPG I played was propably PDS all those years later :slight_smile:

First Game: Ooooo lemme see, I think it was…nope, it was…no, I… gah, I can’t remember!! I think it was Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, as that was the first console I ever bought, way back in 1991. I was only lickle, age 8 :slight_smile:

[quote=“Scott”]first game: Bubble bobble on Commodore 64 :slight_smile: about 1991 or sumthing…
[/quote]

Was that before or after you learnt to walk? lol j/k :stuck_out_tongue:

First RPG: Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn - the RPG Daddy. I’ve played quite a few RPGs in my time, but this game is so ridiculously engrossing and addictive that it still remains my all time fav :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, Boo owns you! ------------> http://www.togrc.com/bg2/images/misc_boo.jpg [size=200]“Squeek!”[/size]

Wow… You guys are n00bs!!!1!! (j/k)

First console RPG: DragonQuest. The very first one.

But, if you want to get technical, I played Zork and Wizardry on PC before that (I think… kinda fuzzy).

First video game? Don’t remember. I was about 2 or 3 years old (and it was either on Atari or Intellivision… Oh wait… actually, I think it was on PC)

[quote=“Abadd”]Wow… You guys are n00bs!!!1!! (j/k)

[/quote]

Heh, whatever old man. :slight_smile:

:’( The age jokes continue
I need to post another picture to see if your views change…