What Is Sony Thinking?

Umm, a decent GPU costs at the very least $400 these days (not even top top of the line), how exactly you claim you can build a whole system for a bit more than half that is beyond me unless you can simply get good deals at a certain place for one reason or another…

Thats a consumer price, I doubt any game company would be paying the same as we pay. They would get it at a lot cheaper with their volume discount and various special deals done.

[quote=“Kadamose”]You guys are looking at this ALL wrong. The reason why the new next-gen consoles are so damn expensives is because these idiots companies are using PROPIETARY hardware, that are developed in capitalist america - is it no wonder the hardware is so expensive? This can be bypassed by adopting an OPEN system (such as China’s CPU technology codenamed ‘Dragon’). Getting rid of optical technology, and going back to hu-card based technology will lower costs, as well. And Abadd, before you chew me a new asshole on the hu-card bit, there is a way to bypass the high cost of static memory, and that is by offering game developers different sizes of hu-cards to suit their needs. For example, if a company created a game, but only used up 1/4th of the 4 GB hu-card, then you could simply offer them a 1 GB hu-card for that particular game, thus lowering costs significantly since there is no waste involved.

Also, creating a console that is made specifically for playing games only is important. If you want to watch movies, go and and fucking buy a seperate DVD player or a blue-ray player…whatever. That’s another reason why consoles are so expensive these days…it’s because, like cell phones, they keep adding a bunch of unwanted, and for the most part, unused options.

Since Sega has been out of the hardware biz for almost 6 years now, they wouldn’t have to worry about adding backward compatibility ICs to the new console, thus lowering costs even more. Therefore, with this in mind, a console between the price range of $150-$200 is not at all impossible.

If I can build an Athlon64 3700+ for less than $250, fully loaded, then there is absolutely no excuse for console manufactures to not be able to do the same - no excuse at all.[/quote]

You’re mad mate, you can not build a Althlon 64 fully loaded from scatch (GPU, GPU, Motherboard, Memory ect) , and the X-Box was made with PC tech (much like the DC) but M$ lost money on every unit sold and using Cart would be the biggest step backwards every.
It may have Escaped your notice but even SEGA new Arcade games require DVD because of the use of data A DVD costs next to nothing to make, that?s not the case for cart with a similar ammount of storage , it also one of the reasons NCL felt flat on its ass with the N64.

BTW, SEGA didn’t worry about DC inthe Saturn (Mega CD) and DC (Saturn) that never helped those machines be cheaper , and in fact even with full BC the Wii with be the cheapest console around.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]

[quote=“Kadamose”]You guys are looking at this ALL wrong. The reason why the new next-gen consoles are so damn expensives is because these idiots companies are using PROPIETARY hardware, that are developed in capitalist america - is it no wonder the hardware is so expensive? This can be bypassed by adopting an OPEN system (such as China’s CPU technology codenamed ‘Dragon’). Getting rid of optical technology, and going back to hu-card based technology will lower costs, as well. And Abadd, before you chew me a new asshole on the hu-card bit, there is a way to bypass the high cost of static memory, and that is by offering game developers different sizes of hu-cards to suit their needs. For example, if a company created a game, but only used up 1/4th of the 4 GB hu-card, then you could simply offer them a 1 GB hu-card for that particular game, thus lowering costs significantly since there is no waste involved.

Also, creating a console that is made specifically for playing games only is important. If you want to watch movies, go and and fucking buy a seperate DVD player or a blue-ray player…whatever. That’s another reason why consoles are so expensive these days…it’s because, like cell phones, they keep adding a bunch of unwanted, and for the most part, unused options.

Since Sega has been out of the hardware biz for almost 6 years now, they wouldn’t have to worry about adding backward compatibility ICs to the new console, thus lowering costs even more. Therefore, with this in mind, a console between the price range of $150-$200 is not at all impossible.

If I can build an Athlon64 3700+ for less than $250, fully loaded, then there is absolutely no excuse for console manufactures to not be able to do the same - no excuse at all.[/quote]

You’re mad mate, you can not build a Althlon 64 fully loaded from scatch (GPU, GPU, Motherboard, Memory ect) , and the X-Box was made with PC tech (much like the DC) but M$ lost money on every unit sold and using Cart would be the biggest step backwards every.
It may have Escaped your notice but even SEGA new Arcade games require DVD because of the use of data A DVD costs next to nothing to make, that?s not the case for cart with a similar ammount of storage , it also one of the reasons NCL felt flat on its ass with the N64.

BTW, SEGA didn’t worry about DC inthe Saturn (Mega CD) and DC (Saturn) that never helped those machines be cheaper , and in fact even with full BC the Wii with be the cheapest console around.[/quote]

Uh, I just built an Athlon64 FROM SCRATCH last month, and here are the specs:

Athlon64 motherboard (gigabyte MB) with Athlon64 3700+ CPU combo: $149
ATX case w/400 watt power supply: $11
Kingston HyperX 1 GB PC-3200 DDR memory: $53
Maxtor 160GB Hard Drive with 8 MB of cache: $50
Radeon 9600 w/ 256 MB: $50

Total: $313

So, how did I get these parts so damn cheap, you ask? I GOT RID OF THE MIDDLEMAN - THAT’S HOW. Never, ever, EVER buy retail unless you seriously want a royal screwing.

Those are certainly good prices, but you’re going to have trouble running a game such as Oblivion with the GPU that you listed - at least, if you want comparable graphics to those which the 360 can produce. Unfortunately, the video card is generally the most expensive part of the system, whereas here it is basically the cheapest.

Radeon 9600 is a pretty shit card by today’s standards. Congrats on building a decent system and then bottlenecking it so bad with a crappy GPU.

As for the first item you listed, I seriously doubt you are able to find that motherboard AND the CPU together for half the price of the CPU alone.

And exactly which motherboard? Hopefully not some really shit one that would bottleneck the system as badly as the 9600 you chose for it. Just the fact you didn’t even mention the motherboard model may mean you don’t really know much about these things as the mobo should be top quality no matter what as to not bottleneck the rest parts. And yet to you it’s a part so insignificant you don’t mention which model?

You’d probably need to buy a decent PSU as well, the no-name crap that come with the equally crap standard cases won’t cut it in a modern system. And most likely a more powerful than 400W one if you added a good GPU on top instead of the 9600. And you might as well shell out another 50 bucks for a decent looking case…

By the way, you forgot to get an optical drive with it… and possibly a sound card unless it’s onboard. Can’t know since you don’t mention the mobo model.

Kingston also doesn’t sell their own products to customers, only to resellers, and the cheapest pc 3200 hyper x 1gb dimm i could find online was going for double the price you listed.

Can you show us the website of the place you bought these parts from or even a legitimate receipt showing the exact items listed @ those prices? Unless the dude was your uncle or something and gave them to you for cheap, I’m sorry but what you wrote is impossible, false, or atleast exagerated.

And if you want to insist, rewrite the post giving proper info for all the parts + the place you purchased them from.

For someone who supposdelly researches so much you put very little thought in the system from what I can tell though.

Oblivion runs just fine on my setup. I run it in 800x600 resolution with 4x antialiasing and anisotropic filtering turned on. With these settings, I get about 50 FPS, which is pretty damn good, considering it uses up so many resources. If I didn’t have 2 GB RAM limitation on this motherboard, I would have bought 4 GB of RAM and partitioned the RAM as a temporary hard drive and ran the game from there - if I went this route, the game would run at at a full 60 FPS with virtually no loading times. Regardless, I am very satisfied with how the game currently plays.

You mean how you can aim with the pointer and shoot at targets?

Where have I seen this before.

Are you for real.

http://synbios.net/images/misc/lightgun.jpg

coughbullshitcough (and 800x600 is a shit res anyway… who the heck builds a “modern system” to run games at that res…)

Just the fact you show me a lightgun as something that has equal possibilities to the wii controller shows you really should read those things like I already suggested… But either way, did I say it’s something not seen before ever again in any form? What’s your point here exactly? Are YOU for real?

Indeed, what IS my point? My point is that the controller is a gimmick. You touted Metroid Prime 3 as your lead example of this “revolutionary” controller’s potential, yet all it is is a light gun with an analog stick to move your character around. Whoop-dee-freaking doo.

It’s a gimmick. You’re going to be playing the same exact games, except now you’re going to have to keep your arms aloft on a consistent basis so you can aim rather than sitting back comfortably with your controller.

Hey, maybe someone could design an action RPG where I would mimick sword swinging over and over and over! Flicking my arm and wrist won’t get tiring after 30 minutes at all, no sir!

But hey, you’re interested in the Wii, so more power to you. I’m definitely not.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Radeon 9600 is a pretty shit card by today’s standards. Congrats on building a decent system and then bottlenecking it so bad with a crappy GPU.

As for the first item you listed, I seriously doubt you are able to find that motherboard AND the CPU together for half the price of the CPU alone.

And exactly which motherboard? Hopefully not some really shit one that would bottleneck the system as badly as the 9600 you chose for it. Just the fact you didn’t even mention the motherboard model may mean you don’t really know much about these things as the mobo should be top quality no matter what as to not bottleneck the rest parts. And yet to you it’s a part so insignificant you don’t mention which model?

You’d probably need to buy a decent PSU as well, the no-name crap that come with the equally crap standard cases won’t cut it in a modern system. And most likely a more powerful than 400W one if you added a good GPU on top instead of the 9600. And you might as well shell out another 50 bucks for a decent looking case…

By the way, you forgot to get an optical drive with it… and possibly a sound card unless it’s onboard. Can’t know since you don’t mention the mobo model.

Kingston also doesn’t sell their own products to customers, only to resellers, and the cheapest pc 3200 hyper x 1gb dimm i could find online was going for double the price you listed.

Can you show us the website of the place you bought these parts from or even a legitimate receipt showing the exact items listed @ those prices? Unless the dude was your uncle or something and gave them to you for cheap, I’m sorry but what you wrote is impossible, false, or atleast exagerated.

And if you want to insist, rewrite the post giving proper info for all the parts + the place you purchased them from.

For someone who supposdelly researches so much you put very little thought in the system from what I can tell though.[/quote]

I chose the 9600 BECAUSE it was cheap and I do not play PC games, for the most part. The only thing I basically use the card for is for the DVI output and the TV-Out. The games I do play on ocassion, such as Starcraft and Guild Wars do not require alot of processing power; therefore, buying an x850 XL video card would have been virtually wasted, and I absolutely HATE wasting resources.

And I DID list the Motherboard manufacturer - it’s a GigaByte motherboard.

I bought the motherboard/CPU/CASE/GPU from a company listed on pricewatch, and I bought the Kingston memory from newegg.com (back then it was listed as $78 with a $25 instant rebate + free shipping - I’m not sure if that’s still the case)

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]

coughbullshitcough (and 800x600 is a shit res anyway… who the heck builds a “modern system” to run games at that res…) [/quote]

1024x768 ran too slow…I was basically forced to use a lower resolution. But it doesn’t bother me at all - as I said, PC gaming is pretty pathetic anyway.

There already are action RPGs like that. They were rather fun too despite barely working and being quite ridiculous.

Anyway, seriously, go read up on a few articles… Ever since the first time editors got their hands on the wii (then revolution) they stated that to play games (the metroid prime tech demo at the time) you barely needed any movement at all and could simply hold the two pieces of the controller in your lap like a conventional controller. So um, if you think every single game is going to require exagerated movements like wario ware will or something then, get over it, they won’t. If the mouse doesn’t tire you (god I hope it doesn’t), then the Wii will also not tire you in most games.

And yes, metroid prime 3 was more or less a FPS with a lightgun game style control system. Except one that actually works, not like capcom’s resident evil spin offs. If the prospect of the fun factor of a lightgun game in a fully free movement fps doesn’t excite you with the possiblities then, well, whatever.

What about racing games controlled as if using a wheel without having to buy one? What about RTS games finally having an intuitive control system on a console? All I was talking about is the difference it makes in interacting with the games, (if you want me to state all the new possibilities in games you couldn’t have before without creating a new peripheral, just ask me, but it wasn’t the point of the discussion).

All those peripherals exist for a reason. They make their respective games more immersive and in most cases more fun. And now you can have all those possibilities and MORE (as metroid prime 3 isn’t simply a lightgun game as you agreed yourself) with just the one controller.

I never bought a wheel because I couldn’t afford a really good one and I never even bought a joystick for my PC because too few games I’d like to play need one to be fun anyway (sadly the space sim genre is dead more or less, and no flight sim suprasses falcon so…). Now with the Wii, I have it all in one, plus more.

[quote]It’s not like the little PS3’s tilt sensors which have been used by Nintendo since the gameboy color days (as Kimimi mentioned), and it’s not even like the DS touchscreen (which has at times been used to great effect) since every developer HAS to use its new features one way or another as there’s no real alternative (unless it’s a simple 2D style platform game or other game that needs very few buttons etc).

You could really say that the analogue stick was a gimmick in its time as it didn’t provide much new functionality over the D-pad. And that the mouse is a gimmick for computers as we could still play our FPS or RTS games using just the keyboard. But no console these days can do without an analogue stick and the mouse is arguably a massively better way to interact with most types of games. The Wii controller can do a lot more than a mouse can and imo represents a huge leap for console controllers, much bigger than the analogue stick was. Perhaps you should read up on how it worked on the E3 games like Metroid Prime 3 and consider some of the possibilities that open up before passing judgement.[/quote]

You’re talking to someone who has gone through 15 or so DVD recorders in the past 5 years alone - I didn’t need to include the dvd recorder into the price because I simply used one of my old ones…and even if I did need to buy one, they only go for $29 on pricewatch. The same goes for my old Sound Blaster Live card…there’s no sense on upgrading, especially since the technology in those areas has not improved for several years now.

I asked for the mobo model not manufacturer… Is that listed too and I missed it? Anyway, the fact you had some parts from before so you don’t list the price for them is silly when you do a comparison to the price of systems that need to include all of those… And the system you mention still doesn’t hold a candle compared to current gen consoles for the most part so once again it’s a comparison that is completely pointless and irrelative given the way it was presented… Oh and I assure you that the technology in sound cards has advanced quite far since the live days… Of course you need an appropriately expensive sound system set up to take advantage of them so most people don’t need that stuff yet (me included… well i’d like them really but too pricey heh).

“Whatever” is quite correct. You move through environments, and you point and shoot. What other possibilities could there be?

Are you for real. You think holding a remote and tilting it around is a suitable replacement for a racing fan’s wheel styled controller? You think a little analog stick and a remote control is a feasible replacement for a joystick? Sorry, but I couldn’t see myself playing Wing Commander Prophecy with a Wii controller. It most certainly is NOT the all-in-one solution like you want to pretend it is. That’s like giving a kid a pickle and telling him it’s a Pokemon action figure.

Oh sorry, it’s an Gigabyte Nforce 4 SLI.

Umm for someone who doesn’t like waste why did you purchase an SLI motherboard and an ATI card? Plan on buying a pair of Nvidia cards down the road? Anyway, my last post on the subject still stands…

I just got it just in case I do need to upgrade in the future, which I doubt.