Valkyria Chronicles

Anyone interested in this upcoming PS3 game from Sega?

1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168815&p=37

It looks interesting, a hybrid turn based strategy RPG and action game from what I can tell.

Funnily enough, Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia are playable characters.

Reminds me of Silent Storm, mixed with JRPG. I like.

You just having to see running onthe PS3 on your own screen to really Appreciate the beautiful graphical style and shading programme , the lighting is some of the very best too, I mean it this is one of the best looking games you’ll ever see

I can?t wait for it, but I would have liked to see a 360 version , and hoped to heard that the Team are using the engine for other games, by now . It?s the only top class next gen SOJ have at this time

I don’t have a PS3 but this game might actually convince me to get one. Did anyone here play the PS3 demo (or import version)?

I do not have a PS3 nor any intention of owning one but the game looks pretty dang awesome.

Doesn’t the new Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya game (By SEGA) for the Wii use the same rendering engine?

Or is that purely fan-boy made-up pish?

The actual 3D rendering of the engine isn’t that impressive and as far as I can tell there are no fancy technologies like normal mapping used (other than the impressive cartoon rendering) so it’s possible the engine is multi platform and scaled down to the Wii. Google gives no hint of an official announcement though so, I’d say people just made it up.

But either way, I don’t see what difference that makes, if it’s Canvas or if it’s a new engine or even the Sonic engine. The game looks as it looks and rumours won’t make it look better or worse. If you’re not impressed with it (I know I’m not), why would anyone try to impress you by mentioning the Canvas engine? It’s a dancing game, not exactly a rival to Valkyria Chronicles.

Downloaded the demo last week, games was alright by me but I deleted it after I had completed it.

I’m not a big strategy RPG fan, so I dont see myself purchasing a copy.

Well I just finished the game and I have to say this is probably one of the best Sega games I’ve played in years. This is the basically the kind of genre-defying game people were expecting Sega to release after they abandoned the console manufacturing business. It’s no exaggeration to say that it revolutionizes the tactical RPG genre. The different classes and weapons are all carefully balanced, the missions offer a surprising amount of variety and real strategic depth, the graphics and presentation are excellent and there’s plenty of replayability. Furthermore, it’s been confirmed that the DLC available in Japan will be coming to NA and Europe early next year.

The game’s been getting great reviews, including a 90% from IGN, 4,5 from Gamespy and A- from 1Up. Unfortunately, it’s slipping completely under the radar at the moment. Sega just doesn’t (or can’t) give this kind of new franchise the marketing support it needs to succeed over here, so I’m not sure what sales Sega are expecting for this game but in these conditions if it manages sell 100.000 copies in NA alone it would already be a success.

Thanks for the mini review, D-Unit.

I’ve heard great things about this game as well; it’s making it seriously tempting to pick up a PS3 for my next console. Worth the purchase?

Well, I was planning on buying a PS3 eventually and Valkyria Chronicles is basically what convinced me to finally get one (that and the fact that I can use it as a Blu-ray player). Whether or not the exclusives and Blu-ray are worth buying the console for is something you’ll have to decide for yourself, it doesn’t do anything better than the Xbox360 otherwise. If it wasn’t for VC I probably would have waited for the price to drop to ? 300.

If you buy a PS3, you must buy the following at a minimum:

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Ratchet & Clank Future
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
Valkyria Chronicles
Little Big Planet
Super Stardust HD

There are more games on the way that won’t be seen on the other two platforms (Team ICO’s upcoming game in particular), and the PS3 makes a phenomenal entertainment center for movies and music. I fully recommend the platform, though only if you already own an Xbox 360. The 360 is by far the best platform of the three to own this console cycle.

Mmm, the 360 does seem to have the largest selection of quality games of the three consoles.

To be honest, I never liked the Playstation controllers. That is the main turn off for me. I’d much rather play console first person games (Oblivion, Halo, Condemned etc) with the 360 controller. A game like Valkyria Chronicles wouldn’t be so bad with the PS3 controller, though, but for a large portion of multiplatform games, the 360 (or PC) would be my preference.

The obvious answer might be to get both systems, but that isn’t always an option. The ability to play Blu-Ray movies out of the box is an attractive one now that the format war is more or less over, even if the PS3’s game lineup isn’t as strong. It’s good to see that there’s a lot going for both systems though.

I refuse to purchase a PS3, no matter how many exclusives Sega put on the machine.

The PS3’s high price tag, lack of must have games, dodgy 360 ports, and IMO unwieldly controller make it the least appealing current gen games console.

I’d love to play Sega games such as Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3, but never will, which is a shame.

Sega claim that one of their current business goals is to become a top 3 publisher. How does it hope to achieve this when it continues to restrict high profile games to a single platform with the smallest userbase?

This business practice is both bizarre and contradictory to its agenda, and does nothing but alienate its long time fans.

I hope Sega considers multiplatform releases for its PS3 exclusives in the future.

Otherwise, its current message to fans is clear: buy a PS3 to play our games or don’t play them at all.

The PS3 is still the better choice for Japanese-esque games I think. Of course the Wii would be the best choice but the PS3 is certainly a better choice than the 360. I doubt you had this kind of complaints when they were supporting the original Xbox last gen, which had the smallest fanbase of the time, with the likes of Orta and Condemned. Those titles sort of made sense for that system, as Valkyria does for the PS3 now (I’m sure a port is still likely, depending on sales).

Sonic on the other hand has universal appeal (or so they think) so it’s a multi platform offering, obviously. The 360 also gets the likes of Beast Rider, Virtua Fighter 5, Sega Rally Revo, Sega Superstar Tennis, PSU: Ambition of the Illuminus, Virtua Tennis 3, Bayonetta and many more, an equal amount of Sega’s in-house titles and titles they publish.

I agree with Al3xander, making it an exclusive on PS3 made sense although the PS3 user base probably ended up being smaller than Sega had expected at the time of release (last I heard it sold around 120k). Unfortunately that’s not enough to guarantee a sequel, and I just don’t see how it can get better sales outside of Japan when most gamers don’t even know the game exists. Gamespot didn’t even bother reviewing the game.

Anyone who is a member of the PlayStation Underground got an email about it the end of last month, along with a promo for Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3.

Sure, but an email isn’t exactly the same as a million dollar marketing campaign. I guess I shouldn’t complain too much since they did a good job with the localization for the game and they’ll be providing the DLC as well (I just hope they won’t change their mind after seeing the sales figures). It’s just a shame to see the lack of marketing support for the game, especially when the developers said a sequel would depend on the sales outside of Japan.

A bit late in reply but… no.

Sega’s Haruhi game is a sim-RPG with the same type of gameplay as Sakura Wars.

I dunno what the title of it is though… of Haruhi Suzumiya.

So, what kind of game is that exactly? A sim RPG that is. I imagine it’s not too similar to Front Mission from the looks of it…