The (Legal) Free Games Thread

That game rules! It’s so weird.

This game is sooo wierd and i’m addicted.

I’ve played it for about an hour total and the best i’ve ever gotten was only
3131.33 m

When the guy flies he kinda looks like Viewtiful Joe on the box art of the first game.

My current high score is 5789.80m.

NOOO!! Sooo close, and then that stupid girl had to catch me!!!

5410.23 m

Now I’m up to 6649.84.

erk, getting close to my record.
I’ve heard tales of people reaching up to 12k though. o.x

nagoya.cool.ne.jp/o_mega/product/ddd.html
Excellent and original(ish) japanese freeware shooter. Download and try it out. Also visit the guy’s main games page - nagoya.cool.ne.jp/o_mega/product.html - for some previous releases. Some of them are pretty cool/unique.

adultswim.com/games/fma_ironandflame/
Very nice side scrolling beat em up. Make sure you atleast try it out. Click “games” for some other games which may or may not be cool, I haven’t tried many yet.

And a couple more links, the first has what seems to be a well made very fast paced, simple but fun online RTS and the second has various games, some of them pretty good.
netpanzer.berlios.de/
vectorgames.de/menue/index.php

PS: .lzh is a compression format, most decompression programs such as WinRar should be able to handle it fine. If you use winrar and it can’t decompress it then you need to get the latest version of WinRar since it certainly supports it.

Wow, that Full Metal Alchemist game Iron and Flame, is pretty slcik, very high quality for a flash game, never the less a beat-em up. I would just hope that the melee attacks could have combos.

Thats a great find Al3xand3r.

Also if you download the Dan Da Dan game, also download Every Expend! That game is amazing, every game last only around 1 and a half minutes, but the strategy is so addictive. Basically you must create chains of explosions of incoming blocks to gain a higher score.

I have yet to try the Panzer game.

Yup, I’ve tried every expend, it’s good fun. Dan! Da! Dan! Is deeper than I thought initially, you can actually do combos with the blocks and how you break them like in a puzzle game :slight_smile:

Also, the full metal alchemist side scroller is nicer than I thought at first too. I got to earn a few new skills and they are much better than the first ones. It also introduces enemies that are weaker against one of the two characters you have so you keep switching between them and using the appropriate character’s skills while you play.

Also, from the same website as full metal alchemist, try this game:
adultswim.com/games/inuyasha … index.html
It’s a card game with a twist, lots of fun but very hard (for me atleast).
You use “move cards” and “skill cards” to move around the grid and attack your opponent.
Three cards are chosen before the “fight” in the order they will be used.
Then, the moves you chose are played out at the same time as the opponent’s and with a little luck you will deal more damage than you will take.
You also earn a new card after every victory! A must try for sure, very high quality.

I’ve been playing Dan Da Dan recently and it is so much deeper than you would have originally thought, just like you said Al3x.

I sometimes get annoyed however since some enemy bullets seem to pass right through you without doing anything, and for others it appears that thay barely graze the ship and I explode.

Also If anyone is up for some old school Tetris action, there is a great version online with many options.

http://www.randyriver.com/games/tetris.htm

It’s about time to revive this thread and I’m doing it with a true gem of a game!

The Battle For Wesnoth
wesnoth.org/

wesnoth.org/images/sshots/we … ngsuns.png

wesnoth.org/images/sshots/we … .9.3-1.jpg

wesnoth.org/images/sshots/we … .9.3-2.jpg

A must try for any (turn based) strategy fan. It may look/sound like the usual console strategy/rpg but I must say the tactics involved are a lot deeper showing its PC roots. Since I’m not into this type of PC game, the closest thing I can compare it to is Civilization, except with all the emphasis on battle tactics rather than empire building and micro managing.

Still, the design of the units and some other things it has in common with console games of the kind make it worth a try by fans of those too.

For example, it has some things in common with Vantage Master seeing as you start out with just your commander who is then used to recruit more units.

And in Fire Emblem fashion, the attacked units can always counter attack as long as they have a weapon of the same range (though range is not judged in quite the same way) and some (most so far) units hold multiple weapons.

It’s really quite deep with many many many different units, all of them able to level up and/or evolve to different classes and/or gain different special skills, traits and the like.

They all have different resistancies as well since there are three different attack types and three different spell types (again similar to Fire Emblem).

Just note that the RPG elements are not as deep, it’s more a strategy game with added experience points, skills etc. You don’t get to equip each of your units as you wish, you just get to enjoy the benefit of more powerful levelled up units if you play well and have them survive the battles.

It’s really polished despite not even being in version 1.0 (but it’s close). It has a nice tutorial and even a tips box at startup and many other details that give it a very profesional feel. it also has a level editor that allows you to “paint” the levels similar to the Warcraft 3 editor (except here it’s 2D of course). It even has a similar auto texture blending function!

I’ve only really finished the tutorial, and the first campaign already seems a bit overwhelming since as I said it’s quite a bit more involving than console games of the kind. But it’s a great game that everyone should atleast try even if they give up on it eventually.

There are several campaigns available in the download and many more available as additional files (which you actually get from within the game’s interface!).

Just goes to show how much a group of dedicated people can achieve. As an added bonus it runs on just about every popular OS and has been translated in many different languages.

applauds 'The Battle For Wesnoth’s devs

Don’t be put off by my lame descriptions, just download it and try it out. Do the tutorial! And even after that there’s a risk that you won’t know all of what to do in the campaigns, unless you’ve played games like this before.

And a little something for the action fans…

newgrounds.com/portal/view/260830

It’s an arcade style game with excellent visuals, fun, intense, very fast paced gameplay and overall a very arcade-glory-of-the-past feel.

A must try despite being a flash game.

I updated the first post with all the links that have been provided so far.

And for FPS fans there is Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Originally supposed to be a to-buy expansion pack, ID wasn’t too happy with how the single player aspect was turning out, so instead the new multiplayer was finished up and released as a free stand-alone downloadable game. Huzzah! Nice team-based objective riddled combat.

that game has LOADS of cheaters on it. Don’t play it
i.e increasing headshot percentage, etc. It can all be done through a command console

I played Enemy Territories before, yeah cheating has become a problem, but I was very impressed to see ID release a standalone free game like that.

Try out Battle for Wesnoth guys >_>

what about counterstrike? I’ve always wanted to play that game (i think its free anyway)

It’s a Half-Life mod, you need to have Half-Life installed to be able to play Counter-Strike. I just started this thread for freeware games. Not abandonware (since it’s not quite legal in most cases) or mods (since not everyone will be able to play them).

[quote=“Scott”]that game has LOADS of cheaters on it. Don’t play it
i.e increasing headshot percentage, etc. It can all be done through a command console[/quote]

I guess I must be lucky in my choice of servers ^^;; Never encountered a cheater.

This is a rather entertaining game I’ve been playing a lot lately (don’t know if it’s been posted before), called Cave Story - Doukutsu Monogatari.

agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html

It’s a Japanese game (but that site has an English translation on it), where you adventure through multiple areas of a large cave, meeting new people, getting new weapons and upgrades, fighting bosses, etc. It’s quite a lot of fun, really, and I’d certainly recommend it.