The eiptome of Panzer Music

There has been alot of confusion lately on what ‘true’ Panzer Dragoon sounds like…and the best example I can think of that illustrates the PD world as its supposed to be, is the track CONCLUSION (PDS; Track 17; Disc 2) at 1:10 to the end of the track. This track sounds like the actual Ancients humming their demise in the background - which is why I think it’s such a good track.

I hope the next PD has this style of music, and not the monotone crap that was in Orta.

Monotone? I thought the oriental wind pipes heard throughout City in the Storm were unmistakably “Panzerish”.

kadamose, end the hypocrisy! it’s all about the opening theme to PD!

Woah man, it was all about the staff roll to PD! :anjou_happy:

I guess what most people don’t like about the PDO music is that it’s definately very arcadish. the best parts in the soundtrack are for me when they actually add some references to themes from PDS.

btw, Sona mi areru was apart from the string sections most likely not recorded from a real orchestra at all, probably it’s “only” high quality midi.
I really didn’t believe this until a sound studio professional pointed that out.
Anu Orta venia on the other hand sounds extremely generic, especially the Midi chorus bugs me. also so things in the arrangement are almost 1:1 derived from the Shenmue score, which sounds good at first, but after a while is a let down.

I guess 95% of all PD fans agree that the PDS soundtrack was the most apropriate for PDS and also one of the best for a videogame ever.
I actually think that some tracks like pure blood seed and atolm dragon would kick ass when arranged for a real orchestra. with massive taiko drums and a bamboo flute…

:anjou_wow: Oh, yeah… that would be fantastic! Atolm Dragon would keep the drummers on their toes, however…

well, yeah. that one two. someone make a medley!

That would be cool!

(seriously considers)

Agreed.Like I said a billion times that’s the best PDO track and one that I actually don’t think twice before syaing I love it.

When I think of PD I end up thinking about tracks like Lagi & Lundi or “Prologue” from PD2wei or “Box Ship” from PDSaga (which also has a bit of Lagi & Lundi) or “Interception” from PDS.Also “Opening theme” from PD1 is something unforgetable…

Somehow the Staff Roll music and the start menu music from PD! don’t strike me PDish in the sense that they are nothing like the kind of music seen in the actuall game or the rest of PD games for that matter.

damn, what about the first level of PD then???

That one altho orchestral like is awesome.

City in the Storm only sounds panzerish starting from 1:54 to the end of the track. The beginning is bland.

isn’t that because they are thematic rather than music made to back the action? i don’t think it would fit very well to hear that music while fighting off enemies but they set the tone for adventuring through the skies on the back of a dragon.

It wasn’t just that.It wasn’t as otherworldly.

what do you mean by “altho”??? I don’t get how there can be people who don’t like orchestral music. :anjou_sigh:

[quote=“lordcraymen”]

what do you mean by “altho”??? I don’t get how there can be people who don’t like orchestral music. :anjou_sigh:[/quote]

I love orchestral music…the thing with PD1, however, is that the music is out of place and none of the music combines with the visual sensations - which is important if one’s goal is to draw the player into the game.

Altered Genos sounded pretty Panzerish if you ask me. Listen to the bit from 2:20 to 2:35 to see what I mean.

We’ve also got to take into account that some of the changes of style in Orta’s music are due to the story being set in the future of the Panzer Dragoon world, hence the reason why some tracks like the End of Destiny sound a lot more modern and digital than the music in the Saturn trilogy.

[quote=“Kadamose”]
I love orchestral music…the thing with PD1, however, is that the music is out of place and none of the music combines with the visual sensations - which is important if one’s goal is to draw the player into the game.[/quote]

that is your personal opinion, I know too many people to whom the excelent opening and ending themes were the hook to the game.
the kinda techno level musics are a matter of taste, too, but I think they are fitting. gives the game a more SF than phantasy style which I liked very much.

I completely and totally disagree with you, but like the man said, it’s all subjective anyway.

[quote=“lordcraymen”]

what do you mean by “altho”??? I don’t get how there can be people who don’t like orchestral music. :anjou_sigh:[/quote]

I mean "altho I didn’t like the other orchestral tracks that much"Saying I like orchestral music is the same like saying I like guitar music.It depends doesn’t it?I like both themes but they are something that doesn’t fit in my picture of the games that well.

But if you are trying to imply it’s because they were “using an orchestra” that I dind’t like it then you are wrong.