The clash of the consoles

I thought Fallout 3 was confirmed as in development? I know one of the lead guyys working on it just quit but dev. is still going i heard.

And i know fallout: brotherhood of steel is do for a console release pretty soon.

Fallout 3 hasn’t been confirmed yet as far as I know. I visit the Interplay forums every now and then and nothing has been mentioned. However, the sticky in the Fallout forums saying that “Fallout 3 isn’t in development” were taken down not long ago.

What is with companies like Westwood Studios, Blizzard and Interplay turning popular franchises into first person shooters? First it’s Command and Conquer Renegade, and now it’s Starcraft: Ghost, and Brotherhood of Steel.

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]Fallout 3 hasn’t been confirmed yet as far as I know. I visit the Interplay forums every now and then and nothing has been mentioned. However, the sticky in the Fallout forums saying that “Fallout 3 isn’t in development” were taken down not long ago.

What is with companies like Westwood Studios, Blizzard and Interplay turning popular franchises into first person shooters? First it’s Command and Conquer Renegade, and now it’s Starcraft: Ghost, and Brotherhood of Steel.[/quote]

Probably because its a good idea? But really i don’t know. Developers (i assume) just dont want to keep making the same thing over and over again. Something like Starcraft Ghost is a unique way to tell part of the Starcraft story from one persons perspective. Also the Ghost unit class just screams out for an action/stealthy type of game to be made and Blizzard will hopefully deliver a quality title. Personally i like the idea of seeing an action game set within the starcraft world. Plus keep in mind that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and Starcraft: Ghost are console games as opposed to PC games, and the type of game that they are just works so much better on console.

I have no doubt a first person shooter set in the Starcraft and Fallout universes would provide a nice new angle of them (Ghost is set during the Terran campaign “Rebel Yell” though), but it seems like odd timing that these franchises are both being turned into FPS games at this time. I suppose the genre has become very popular thanks to games like Halo. Hopefully they will both set themselves apart from other FPS games, because at the moment, they all seem the same to me.

I don’t want Ghost or Brotherhood of Steel to be just another FPS game.

Btw Aitrus, did you play Fallout Tactics?

[quote=“Geoffrey Duke”]I have no doubt a first person shooter set in the Starcraft and Fallout universes would provide a nice new angle of them (Ghost is set during the Terran campaign “Rebel Yell” though), but it seems like odd timing that these franchises are both being turned into FPS games at this time. I suppose the genre has become very popular thanks to games like Halo. Hopefully they will both set themselves apart from other FPS games, because at the moment, they all seem the same to me.

I don’t want Ghost or Brotherhood of Steel to be just another FPS game.

Btw Aitrus, did you play Fallout Tactics?[/quote]

Ghost and Brotherhood of steel are not First Person Shooters. They are 3rd person action/adventure games more similar to Splinter Cell or MGS then an FPS like Halo. Although i’m sure both games will be quite heavy on action (with Ghost having some stealthly sequences). Good news is that Ghost will be available next year on all 3 consoles and i believe Fallout: Bortherhood of Steel is coming out on Xbox (not to sure).

BTW, Geoffery did you ever play Fallout Tactics?

“I stand corrected”

~ James Raynor

Fallout Tactics was ok. I played the game to find out what happened to the Brotherhood of Steel more than anything else. By the time of Fallout 2 the Brotherhood was so weakened by previous events and their own technology hording decadence, they couldn’t stand against the Enclave, but it was nice to know they actually succeeded in rebuilding a technologically advanced civilisation in the end. Of course, they needed to fight an army of cyborgs and robots first, which was by no means an easy task, but if not them, then who? The Brotherhood of Steel was the only human faction left with the firepower to oppose anyone.

I’ll check the release dates at work tomorrow and let you know. Betting the dates are gonna be really vague though…