Sonic Origins

I’m glad they’re bringing these to modern platforms and that Sonic 3 & Knuckles will finally be playable in widescreen. Looking at the trailer, there’s a new animation included and I think this is the first time Tails/Knuckles are playable in Sonic 1? Also, they are including Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, which was featured in the iOS/Android versions.

Not sure about all the different versions, one of which includes alternate music. Will probably use this as an opportunity replay the original games at some point though; they are classics, and the best of the series.

Yeah these are the taxman ports of the iOS (1+2+CD) games using the latest retro engine according to Whitehead. The taxman Sonic 1 remake lets you play as knuckles in Sonic 1. Unfortunately you can’t play as Knuckles in CD. Both Taxman and Stealth/Headcannon games staff have been contracted to work on this so I trust the quality. The DLC scheme was a bad move on Sega’s part (both in terms of content and how obtuse it was presented). Denuvo I’m neutral on - they’ll get rid of it eventually like they did with Mania I’m sure. Sega is pretty good regarding phasing out its DRM IIRC. Having Hesse do some animated cutscenes was nice but TBH they should include the OVA.

2 Likes

Are the new animated cutscenes going to be in the games as you play them? Or are they just intro/title screen cutscenes?

I imagine they’ll just be an intro animation(s), as with Sonic CD. The games don’t need to be broken up with storytelling cutscenes.

One thing that’s hard to overlook is the price of this collection. Google Play lists the mobile version of Sonic 2 as costing $1.99. At that price, a collection of the five games should be $10. Even if we add the addition of extras, the price of Sonic Origins seems quite steep for a collection of Mega Drive games.

“There are also coins to be earned by completing missions, which will apparently unlock Special Stages, new animation intros for each of the games, and most interestingly, “new content”. Sonic Origins will have a PlayStation 5 release, and currently has no exact launch date.”

It seems according to this the new animations aren’t even available from the start. You have to unlock them by doing special missions which give you in-game coins to use to unlock them…

And this:

“In the listing, we’ve learned that Sonic Origins will offer two different ways to play the classic 16-bit era Sonic games: Classic Mode, which is exactly how the games looked in 4:3 aspect ratio and played, utilizing a lives system, on the Sega Genesis, and Anniversary Mode, an updated take on the games, with a 16:9 widescreen mode and removal of any risk of game overs.”

And it seems like they have included the Hidden Palace Zone stage in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was originally removed late in development.

But apart from that, the only work they actually had to do on this project was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. All the other games were already remastered and released years ago. All they did was slap them in the project, next to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Also, you could probably assume that Sonic 3 & Knuckles won’t have the original music either because of all those legal issues with Michael Jackson…You’re probably better off to just download Sonic Air (widescreen Sonic 3 & Knuckles) and play it on any genesis emulator!

It’s a nice addition (also featured in existing mobile version of Sonic 2). They’ve replaced the deep spike pit in Mystic Cave Zone (where you have to wait until Super Sonic runs out rings before you can lose a life and get out) with a passage that leads to Hidden Palace Zone. A nice way of removing that annoying pit while also introducing us to the lost zone.

Hopefully nothing important is missing. S3&K has a very iconic soundtrack.

If you want the old versions of these games you’ve got until May 20th until they’re delisted.

And we all know why they are doing it…!