Sonic Origins

I wonder if Headcannon is doing the patching or is it just Sega’s internal team?

Given all the issues were thanks to Headcannon, let’s hope not. All that said most of the issues are totally blown out of proportion mind

But all of the issues were “not” from Headcannon. He gave Sega his code and they introduced new bugs while implementing or altering the code.

Simon Thomley, a developer for Headcannon, acknowledged that there were “issues in what we gave to Sega,” but added that what Sega’s developers did with that code afterward “introduced some wild bugs” that they’re getting blamed for.

Very easy to blame SEGA IMO. The developer wasnt up to the task, M2 should have been given the Project

We asked to do major fixes near submission but weren’t allowed due to submission and approval rules. We asked about delays early and repeatedly but were told they weren’t possible. We offered to come back for post-release fixes and updates- we do not yet know if this is happening

Sega gave them no room with their ridiculous deadline. They even warned Sega that they needed to fix bugs but Sega would give them no extra time to fix the game.

The same thing happened to Sonic Colors Ultimate. So, I see this being Sega’s fault plain and simple.

Complete conversation with Stealth on Twitter:

The game was always planned to come out on the date Sonic 1st launched all those years ago, the team would have known that when talking the project on, that was the whole point of the project

He wasn’t up to the job and just looking to blame SEGA. Sonic Colors was amazing, unless you’re a Switch owner LOL

Well, things don’t always go as planned. They had issues and needed more time. Sega didnt give them any leeway so that’s Sega’s fault for releasing an unfinished product when they knew it was unfinished.

I’d post a link if I had time to find it. The sonicretro.org forums in some of their mega threads on sonic origins, have some technical details (from people digging into game internals) on what causes major sonic 2 bugs like tails respawning off screen and then getting stuck while jumping continually - which turned out to be whoever at Sega added in the drop dash code incorrectly used an existing function number and broke part of the tails code. All the bugs like that are 100% something stealth didn’t cause as they weren’t involved in porting the s2 code into origins at all.

And I’ve personally been involved in projects when you are given too short a time frame to work in. It doesn’t matter if you are working with a bunch of extremely talented people, if you are given far too short an amount of time to do work in. No matter how much you rush things, you can’t get out a quality product.

1 Like

Well sadly a game set to release on the day of Sonic’s 30th anniversary was always going to have a set date. To ask for more time is just bad planning and to look to blame SEGA for sound bugs, is pushing it a little.

I have the game and its not bad as made out, but I’ve notice some silly sound bugs, like no sound played when Amy is kinnaped by Metal Sonic in Sonic CD

It’s good that Sega is working on a patch, however the work they need to do is quite extensive. I hear some problems came from using the Hedgehog engine as a wrapper for the retro engine games.

I’ve unlocked all the achievements in Sonic Origins. There’s even bugs in the achievements.

There are still a few missions that I haven’t completed and the rest of the museum to unlock. But I’ve played it enough to say that overall I had a lot of fun revisiting these titles and playing through the new missions. There’s no question that the games are timeless and some of best “flow” games of all time. Sega just needs to give it some more development time to polish off the rough edges. I’m looking forward to trying the patch when it arrives.

Earlier, I posted a review on Steam (based on my post in this topic). The first patch fixes most of the game breaking bugs. As such, I’ve updated my review to recommended the game.

The Plus DLC for Sonic Origins is now available.

The inclusion of Amy works well, and her movement feels like belongs in classic series. Essentially, you can press jump in midair to spin her hammer in a circle around her, which destroys any enemies within that orange band. Holding the button for longer affects the hammer spin also. Besides this, I have not noticed other differences, besides the slot machines in Sonic 3 & Knuckles also including her face (they’ve just swapped out the Sonic sprite when you play as Amy). I could see her inclusion fitting it quite naturally if it had been the case in the original versions that they had wanted to include her as a playable character.

Besides that, there isn’t much else of note, besides the inclusion of playable Knuckles in Sonic CD which was omitted from the original version and a digital new manual resembling the original paper ones from the MegaDrive days. The 12 Game Gear games are just emulated versions; while welcome for completeness, there has been no attempt to modernise them. They have not aged well, and without the infinite lives system (included in the main remasters), I can’t see myself having the patience to play through them.

Overall, given the price, this DLC can only be recommended for the most dedicated fans of classic Sonic, as it does not bring significant value for money. The base game is sufficient for re-experiencing these classic titles, or wait and pick this up as a compete collection when it’s discounted.

I’m enjoying mine. I also don’t why people go on about the price when Nintendo can the earth for simple remasters and get away with it…

My main issue is it would have been nice to get Sonic the Arcade game in there

I want to like Origins but the bugs and the horrible save file system just makes me want the decomps