Shining Force fans rejoice?

Two new Shining games have been announced for the Playstation 2. One is the so-called “Shining Tears” I’ve heard so much about, and the other is a new Shining “Force” game. Of all the ironies, two new Shining games are destined to appear on a console made by a company that destroyed the Saturn and thus deprived the western world of Shining Force 3.

Thank you very much Sega.

So, it looks like I’ll be buying a Playstation 2 after all. At least this gives me an excuse to buy the new Shinobi games.

I still dunno : do the Shining games have anything in common with each other?Or are they like Final Fantasy?

The Shining games are all part of a long running series (of more than ten games so far) that don’t cut their ties to one another like the Final Fantasy games do. Their stories have always been inextricably tied together (this is especially true for the last four Saturn Shining games that revolved around the Holy Ark storyline). I love games that tie in with each other. The minds of mainstream gamers threaten to explode in frustration, however, at the mere thought of continuity, hence why they love the Final Fantasy games so much.

I suspect that with Camelot (the original creators of the series) out of the picture, Sega will make a fresh start with the new games, but Sega would be foolish in the extreme to forget the rich history of the series.

So how many agme are there are in total and what are the systems?

I wanted to play more since i like Shining Force 2 so much…

[quote=“GehnTheBerserker”]So how many agme are there are in total and what are the systems?

I wanted to play more since i like Shining Force 2 so much…[/quote]

Check out www.shiningforcecentral.com

Every game in the series is listed on the left hand side of the main page.

The complete Shining Force 3 (including Scenarios 1, 2 and 3) was the third true Strategy/RPG in the series, but as you are no doubt aware, wasn’t translated in its entirety.

Basically, each scenario coincided with each other and your actions in one would have consequences in the next. Sega of America only translated the first scenario because the current head of SOA at the time was, and I’m putting this kindly, a fool who had no love for RPGs in general. In fact, many decent Japanese Saturn games never left the shores of Japan because of his stupidity, and Dark Savior underwent a censorship ordeal that cut the only way to complete the game out of it (Parrallel 6).

As much as I hate to say it Geoffrey, but withs its release on the PS2, it will make my boyfriend very happy. =/

You don’t like seeing your bf happy ? :slight_smile:

Anyways, those arer too many agmes for me to ever catch up!!!

Which do you consider essencial Geoff?

well he is a fan of the shining series, and its release on the PS2 will make him happy as he owns one, but it doesnt make Geoffrey happy it seems. 0_0

I’ve already got a PS2, but I’ll be damned if I have to go to the length of getting it modded just to play these, should they not receive PAL releases.

Because you just know nothing is certain where RPG’s are concerned.

I was beeing sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d recommend the five Saturn Shining games. However, Shining Force 3 is quite expensive on Ebay and all three scenarios aren’t even available in English.

Shining Wisdom is an old-school Action/RPG with beautiful 2D graphics, which shouldn’t be too costly on Ebay. Shining The Holy Ark is a huge first person dungeon crawler that still looks great today thanks to its combination of colourful 3D graphics and 2D anime-inspired artistry. Unfortunately the game’s story spills over into Shining Force 3…

I’m just annoyed that the Shining series will now call the Playstation 2 its home. I suppose it’s only logical for a popular series of Japanese RPGs to find their way onto the most popular console in Japan, but I’m still waiting for Shining Force 3.

These latest Shining games are high-profile RPGs that I expect Sega won’t hesitate to translate. Strategy/RPGs seem to have gone mainstream in recent years, too, so I don’t see anything standing in Sega’s way.

Let’s just be glad that the Shining series is getting revived on a next generation console at all. Although I can understand why you’d be annoyed.

It’s just good to see a new Force title in the works. The series has gone far too long without a true sequel.

So what do the Force series have in common?

Yeah, I suppose you’re right. I’ll probably have to learn how to read Japanese before I can play Shining Force 3 and Dark Savior as they were meant to be played, however.

You’ve played Shining Force 2, right? Now imagine the game in 3D with a rotatable view. They are the turn-based Strategy/RPGs of the series. If Sega doesn’t screw this new Shining Force game up, then it should walk all over Final Fantasy Tactics and its ilk.

The Force games are all strategy RPGs (although their aren’t walking round bits in the Game Gear ones as far as I’m aware), where you move your character along a grid system (kind of like a Chess board) and choose different attacks, magic, etc. The placement of your characters is very important and it can require a lot of strategy. It’s a very addictive battle system.

The other games in the Shining series are first person dungeon crawler RPGs and action RPGs. The Force games are the most fun from what I’ve played of the series.

You beat me to it, Geoffrey.

Just think, at least this way it will give you can excuse to try the fabled ICO (a game I’ve been wanting to try for a while).

Btw, I just found the image that shows the titles of the games. How can we be sure that it isn’t a fake? Has someone confirmed its legitimacy?

ccfa.info/cgi-bin/up/src/up0662.jpg

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]The Force games are all strategy RPGs (although their aren’t walking round bits in the Game Gear ones as far as I’m aware), where you move your character along a grid system (kind of like a Chess board) and choose different attacks, magic, etc. The placement of your characters is very important and it can require a lot of strategy. It’s a very addictive battle system.

The other games in the Shining series are first person dungeon crawler RPGs and action RPGs. The Force games are the most fun from what I’ve played on the series.[/quote]

I think Shining Force 2 is simply the best 16 bit Stragety/RPG ever created. The number of warriors who can join your force is mind-boggling. When you promote your warriors you can use certain items to steer the course of their promotion too. Promoting a centaur knight into a pegasus knight instead of a paladin is the best example of this type of character development.

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]You beat me to it, Geoffrey.

Just think, at least this way it will give you can excuse to try the fabled ICO (a game I’ve been wanting to try for a while).

Btw, I just found the image that shows the titles of the games. How can we be sure that it isn’t a fake? Has someone confirmed its legitimacy?

ccfa.info/cgi-bin/up/src/up0662.jpg[/quote]

A trusted Japanese-speaking poster broke the news at Shining Force Central. I have no reason to doubt her. An official site is also about to go online.

I’d still like to see an exmaple of how the games connect…
As far as plot is concerned.