Sega aqcuires Secret Level

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147040.html

Sega seems to be more and more interested in the Western market with all these aqcuisitions and new partenerships. All in all I think this is definitely a good move, it would be interesting to see what IP they are developing.

I dunno if Sega owns the Vectorman rights, but that would be a sweet game to transition into a FPS Metroid Prime style imo.

Bah… turning Vectorman into an FPS would… I believe… rather mess it up. Let us not forget all his various morphed forms. I loved those games… They almost looked as good as Saturn stuff, but on the Megadrive…

An interesting thought though.
How many classic Sega games have been given the new treatment?
Ecco was the first, back on the Dreamcast… wasn’t it?
I know Shinobi was dealt with… in an exclusively S*ny sort of way that made me cringe and my fingernails bleed.
Though I never heard of its release… I have reason to believe the same was done with Altered Beast.

So what does that leave?
Golden Axe and Streets of Rage? I haven’t seen remakes of either of those but thats no reason to believe they haven’t been made.
What about Dynamite Headdy?

And if we want to take a step into a TOTALLY non-Sega Megadrive game here… Rocket Knight Adventures needs to be remade. Sparkster is a f**kin legend… Its almost gimmicky, but I’ve never seen it re-used. RKA is still fairly unique in its own weird little style.

I guess Sega has been quite impressed with Secret Level’s work so far on whatever new reincarnation of whatever classic Sega franchise they are supposedly ressurecting. Impressed enough to buy them out outright.

Hmm…

1. What’s with the censoring of Sony’s name? I’ve come to understand that you don’t like them, but is that completely necessary?

2. Re: Shinobi’s remake - “in an exlusively S*ny way”… What does that mean, really?

Hehe. If you ever visit Shining Force Central, you’ll notice that the word Sony has always been censored as “S*ny”. The webmistress isn’t too fond of Sony to say the least…

I think in Soti’s case, old habits die hard.

You said that Shinobi should have been better yourself anyway Abadd, so how do you think it might have fared with 6 months extra development time on the Xbox?

Microsoft hasn’t done enough to secure Sega’s support IMO. It’s almost as if they feel they don’t need Sega (I suppose VF4 saving the arcade scene in Japan counts for nothing in the western world these days?).

But since there’s no arguing with you, I maintain that a multi-platform approach has always been the best way to go for Sega even if I’d rather see Capcom and Sega stop supporting Sony altogether just to deal one last fatal blow to the corporation that brought hardcore gaming to an end. >:)

I’m not saying anything about the quality of Shinobi… I’m just asking what it has to do with its platform exclusivity, or what the “sort of way” meant in his post.

Really, though, multi-platform strategies vary from game to game. In a game, let’s take Sega’s own Super Monkey Ball for example, where the target audience is obviously younger, releasing it on the Xbox doesn’t necessarily make much sense. Sure, if it’s a simple additional SKU, the dev cost is much lower than doing an original game, but it then dillutes the impact of the game’s release when one SKU is not doing as well as the others. In a case like that, releasing on target platforms works best.

Nevertheless, the unfortunate fact of the matter is simply that Japanese developers don’t really think in a multi-platform way. How many Japanese games do you see release multi-plaform (simultaneously) vs western developed titles? It’s simply a matter of development approach.

Virtua Fighter 5 better be available for 360 instead of being stuck on a Sony Console like the last iteration was, I assume it will come home eventually that is.

To tell the truth, the best development studio to handle a revival of a Sega franchise would be From Software, from their previous work on games such as Otogi, I have no doubt that they would create a superb follow up to any classic games. It was a blessing that Sega brought over both Otogi games even though from what I know they didn’t make the biggest dent in sales charts. What the hell, Sega should just acquire From Software, it would be a real boost to have those guys under their wing.

Sny demoted Sega… fired them… retired them…
Sega was all I had and S
ny killed it. Destroying Sny is a key focus of my life now. I’m an Anti-Sny zealot. They are anathema, and their name alone brings a foul taste to my mouth and an unpleasant burning to my fingers.

Platform exclusivity. Sny platform exclusivity.
Thats signs of senility from the folks at Sega… a sign moreover that they’re losing their honour. They’re dying… but for all intents and purposes I fear they do naught but squirm and clutch at straws… and will die dishonoured. It burns me inside to know that such a great thing will die so poorly… and the whole time I know its S
ny’s fault.

Re: From - Unfortunately, none of From’s games have sold well recently, even their Armored Core games (in the west, that is). =\

Re: Sony - Sega did as much to themselves as Sony did to them. If Sega was on top of its game, it would have fared much better, but alas, it didn’t. From my perspective, Sega is finally hitting its stride for the first time in nearly 10 years.

And platform exclusivity on the leading platform (which was in the lead by several multiples at the time) is senile? You have an interesting definition of the word, my friend.

And Sports Interactive…news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10630/SEG … teractive/

[quote=“Abadd”]
And platform exclusivity on the leading platform (which was in the lead by several multiples at the time) is senile? You have an interesting definition of the word, my friend.[/quote]

Its a sign of poor judgement.
Theres no good reason not to put things on the Microsoft console as well.

It was good buisness judgement on their part in theory because they were putting the game out on the most popular console, thereby giving it the largest user base to have a chance to succeed in. Granted those numbers would have been higher if they also released the game on Xbox, but perhaps the money and resources required to code the game for that console as well outweighed any sales advantages in numbers it could have gained. Sega is in a much better state than back then from my perspective atleast, so I can see them putting all games on all platforms to try to generate the most sales; also since all platforms will show high and nearly equal numbers in popularity.

[quote=“SotiCoto”]Its a sign of poor judgement.
Theres no good reason not to put things on the Microsoft console as well.[/quote]

How many Japanese games are there that aren’t exclusive to one platform? (At least initially… I’m not talking about the usual “release another SKU with a few extra features 6 months later”)

[quote=“Abadd”]
How many Japanese games are there that aren’t exclusive to one platform? (At least initially… I’m not talking about the usual “release another SKU with a few extra features 6 months later”)[/quote]

Does Radiant Silvergun count?

Saturn and arcade…? Suppose that sort of counts…

I’m not saying that there are none, I’m just saying that you really have to look hard to find them.

[quote=“SotiCoto”]

Sny demoted Sega… fired them… retired them…
Sega was all I had and S
ny killed it. Destroying Sny is a key focus of my life now. I’m an Anti-Sny zealot. They are anathema, and their name alone brings a foul taste to my mouth and an unpleasant burning to my fingers.

Platform exclusivity. Sny platform exclusivity.
Thats signs of senility from the folks at Sega… a sign moreover that they’re losing their honour. They’re dying… but for all intents and purposes I fear they do naught but squirm and clutch at straws… and will die dishonoured. It burns me inside to know that such a great thing will die so poorly… and the whole time I know its S
ny’s fault.[/quote]

Oh God Get Real.

SEGA killed thier Hardware dreams not SONY. SEGA America and Europe Inept handing of the Saturn, the total and utter screw up that was the 32X and things like SEGA Japan not making a SONIC launch game (or getting Square Soft) make sure SEGA was doomed to fail That?s the sad realty . I’m not a fan of SONY, but if SEGA makes money off SONY then I’m all for it , becase I want SEGA to Survive at the end of the days .

Has for you Shinobi load of rubbish , you do know this sold more copies than Ninja Gaiden. Kind of makes me think SEGA was wise to make this for the PS2. It was made in around a year for a modest budget and met and Surpassed SEGA sales targets .

Dying my Foot. SEGA next gen stuff looks amazing (VF 5 being the best game I?ve seen) Out Run 2006 , Ryu Ga show that the SEGA magic is alive and well. SEGA is the best position its been in years , I can’t wait for the next few years. Becasue SEGA will shut up all the doubters and knockers

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]
Has for you Shinobi load of rubbish , you do know this sold more copies than Ninja Gaiden.[/quote]

Actually, not true. Not by a long shot :slight_smile:

What we really need is a website that tracks game sales by week. Much like many websites track box office figures for movies during their run in theatres.

Why?

[quote=“Abadd”]

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]
Has for you Shinobi load of rubbish , you do know this sold more copies than Ninja Gaiden.[/quote]

Actually, not true. Not by a long shot :)[/quote]

Last time I looked Shinobi sold over 280,000 inthe USA and around 250,000 in Japan . Ninja Gaiden sales didn’t come close to those last time I looked. I don’t think it broke the half million barrier