Seeking Stimulation

I am not sure exactly what type of rpg’s and such you like, but there are quite a few that I am a fan of along with some fps’s. I have been told that is is fairly strange that I like console rpg’s along with first person shooters, but hey, let um think what they want!

NES
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The over the head/sidescrolling mix was a blast to me. I still get a kick out of getting past the damn portion of it intact.

Genesis
-Beyond Oasis- A great over the top action rpg in the vein of Zelda, but more mature.

-Shining Force 1 and 2. The best rpg’s ever! I love them. Over the top turn based strategy rpg’s with really great atmosphere and fantasy characters such as bird men, centaurs, and other fantasy fair.

-Landstalker- Another great over the top action rpg. Very difficult but rewarding game.

CDX

• Shining Force CD- Another game in the series. This was probably the one I liked the least from the 2d versions of the game, but it continues the story found in SF1 and can still be enjoyable.

-Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue- Two of the best traditional rpgs there are with fantastic characters, voice acting, and story. Working designs best work. I much prefer these versions to the updated PS versions.

Saturn

• Shining Force 3 Scenario 1- Amazing 3d update to the turn based strategy series. These games are more mature than any of the previous chapters. Only hurt by the fact that it isn’t a complete story. Sega fubared this by only releasing the first scenario in the US.
  • Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 and 3(Import Only)- I think a translation for these two is completed. Parn would be the one to comment on that as I don’t own either but really want to play them in English.

PS

• Wild Arms 1 - good puzzle/traditional rpg. Enjoyable storyline that tugs at your heart.

PS2

• Shadows of the Colossus- The only game I purchased myself to play on my brothers PS2. Fantastic gameplay and beautiful world I would never have though possible on this system.

XBox

• Halo 1 and 2.- Some like em, some don’t. My brothers and I still play all 3 with 4 player matches. I think they could have easily ended this with 2, but the 3rd is pretty solid game play despite there being less story.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2- Good 3rd person action rpg’s that made Star Wars enjoyable again.

XBox 360- I know you probably only have the PS3, but these are good anyway.

Mass Effect- The best 3rd person shooter/rpg hybrid ever. Amazing characters and story. Tons of background info regarding the world, and great graphics. This can be purchased for PC now also.

Halo 3- Heh

Gears of War- The story is forgettable, but the online multiplayer is my personal favorite on the 360. Great tactical action. I haven’t played online as much in any game except Unreal and UT for the PC.

PC

• Unreal 1- Great atmospheric fps. The sequels are forgettable and pale in comparison to the music and atmosphere of this game. Definite favorite.

• Starcraft- Do I need to explain this one? If you haven’t played it, there is a reason why a certain nation declared this their national sport.

A lot of the old computer games are actually pretty easy to find or you can find at normal prices at Amazon. Finding The Longest Journey might prove to be tough, though. I guess I was just really lucky. No RPG fan should live life without playing either Baldur’s Gate or Planescape just once.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 just got re-released as Persona 3 FES. You’ll have an easy time finding it. It’s hands down one of the most incredible RPG experiences I’ve had in a while. Maybe Odin Sphere, a really LAVISHLY hand drawn side scrolling action fantasy game, is still out there somewhere.

If you like space sims, I had a fun time playing Freespace(not as much as X-wing, though).

You can buy Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and the Dreamfall soundtrack all together as a special edition on Amazon.com.

I’ve wanted to try it, I’ve just never had the chance to acquire it. It’s been on my Amazon wishlist forever.

[quote=“Gehpnaet”]Now a list of my non-LoK, non-PD favorites :

Riven - my favorite adventure game of all time. The most original conworld in videogaming. It’s just as amazing as it was 11 years ago.[/quote]

I’ve played Myst, and I really liked it. I saw all three games together as one bundle for $20 at Best Buy a few weeks ago. I might pick that up.

I remember trying it when it was new, and it really didn’t knock my socks off, but I may revisit it if I can find a cheap copy.

I only played the demo, and I remember it being pretty neat. I may look into it again. The original Genesis Sonic titles were awesome, though. Don’t knock classic Sonic. =P

You know, I’ve really no desire to play Halo at all. FPS aren’t really my cup of tea. The bf has Team Fortress 2 and while I like the graphics and the unique character design, the concept of the actual gameplay style doesn’t really appeal to me.

As far as the other games you’ve mentioned, I’ll definitely look into them. Some of them I’ve heard of and others I haven’t. Thanks for the recommendations. =)

[quote=“Snow Girl”]

You can buy Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and the Dreamfall soundtrack all together as a special edition on Amazon.com.[/quote]

I need to pick up Dreamfall sometime, seeing as how I enjoyed the original. The Longest Journey was just so many levels of beautiful. You just have to flex your brain muscles A LOT, but at least the puzzles make sense. But the thought of the main character in the original being a withdrawn and sullen NPC in the sequel seems kinda weird. I also heard Dreamfall had fighting scenes. I don’t like that idea. The original had no fighting or even a life bar. But a lot of good characters do die. It’s awesome.

For Xbox you really should check out Rent A hero No.1, based soley on the fact it has Segata San Shiro on it.

Also available for Dreamcast.

Since you have all the Genesis Ecco games on there Snow Girl, you really REALLY need to try Ecco: Defender of the Future. I think there was a PS2 port that made it out, though I never heard much about any pros/cons of the versions. As usual with 2D to 3D updates it seems to have lost a lot of existing fans, but it could almost get my vote for being the single best action/exploration/adventure type of game of the whole generation. It absolutely would be if the very end hadn’t been such a chore, the last couple stages were like a completely different game.

Still, just freaking gorgeous, Tim Follin’s music may be a little different from the previous games but reach the same sensibility, with a few tracks being just brilliant IMO. And if it’s atmosphere you need… it’s got it in spades.

However, in a way I’m going back to your original topic here… just go get a Dreamcast anyway. The system is cheap and the games are dirt cheap - assuming you can find them - and the IQ of most games holds up as well as (and usually better IMO) than any other last gen system’s games. If by some odd chance you had an old-school VGA monitor available get the adaptor and it looks even better. Plus you could revisit Soul Reaver in sweet high-res 60fps. I’d also really recommend Grandia 2 and of course Sonic Adventure - the only 3D Sonic that’s truly worked so far.

Seconded, seriously. The game itself can feel a bit “dumbed down” in regards to the balance between exploration and combat (the game is MUCH more combat-focused than SR1 and 2), but the basic mechanics are fun enough. As with all games in the series, however, the appeal lies in the storytelling and Defiance is any LoK fan’s dream come true. The best writing in the series and many of the character resolutions are among the most impressive I have ever beheld in any tale. An ace finale.

[quote]Riven - my favorite adventure game of all time. The most original conworld in videogaming. It’s just as amazing as it was 11 years ago.
[/quote]

How do the PS1/SAT versions fare in comparison to the PC? I’m not much of a PC gamer, and I can’t really run much on my lappy, so I’ve never played an installment in the Myst series in spite of wanting to.

Well I’ve played both the PC and Saturn versions and I can’t say something stood out as different. I own the Saturn version and it was the one I first played. The latest PC versions come in a DVD as opposed to 4/5 CDs (4 cds on the Saturn and 5 on the PC I think) so that would be the only “significant” change.

Defender of the Future was completely enchanting. I used to have the Dreamcast version. It was easily more satisfying of an experience than Shenmue. I wasn’t too keen on the plot device changes from the original. Nor the fact that the logic required a near psychic level of intuition. But still an awesome game.

[quote=“Heretic Agnostic”]Since you have all the Genesis Ecco games on there Snow Girl, you really REALLY need to try Ecco: Defender of the Future. I think there was a PS2 port that made it out, though I never heard much about any pros/cons of the versions. As usual with 2D to 3D updates it seems to have lost a lot of existing fans, but it could almost get my vote for being the single best action/exploration/adventure type of game of the whole generation. It absolutely would be if the very end hadn’t been such a chore, the last couple stages were like a completely different game.

Still, just freaking gorgeous, Tim Follin’s music may be a little different from the previous games but reach the same sensibility, with a few tracks being just brilliant IMO. And if it’s atmosphere you need… it’s got it in spades.

However, in a way I’m going back to your original topic here… just go get a Dreamcast anyway. The system is cheap and the games are dirt cheap - assuming you can find them - and the IQ of most games holds up as well as (and usually better IMO) than any other last gen system’s games. If by some odd chance you had an old-school VGA monitor available get the adaptor and it looks even better. Plus you could revisit Soul Reaver in sweet high-res 60fps. I’d also really recommend Grandia 2 and of course Sonic Adventure - the only 3D Sonic that’s truly worked so far.[/quote]

There is a store here that specializes in selling old systems and games, though I haven’t been there in a few years. I just remember being delighted by seeing NES, N64 and SNES systems under the glass case in the front. I’ll pay them a visit to see how my prospects look st acquiring a Dreamcast before I try the Intarwebs. I’ll also see if I can find that Ecco title. Seattle is full of geeks, though, so it may be hard to come by some popular “cult” games.

It is my understanding that April Ryan is a playable character, not an NPC. There are three playable characters. April, the new girl Zoe, and some mysterious dude named Kian. My friend told me there is some fighting in it, but that wouldn’t bother me. I’ve never played the original, though, so… =x

I went to Blockbuster last night after cruising GameStop and EB Games. I rented Assassin’s Creed, again, because the last time I rented it, it wouldn’t load. The story was the same this time. I can look through the options on the main PS3 menu, but once I try and start the game, it’s Black Screen. shrug I also rented Folklore, which I’ve been curious about since I saw it at Best Buy. So far, I really like it. It’s like Silent Hill meets Alice in Wonderland meets Shadow of Destiny. The only annoying factor is listening to Ellen vocally whine about her mother, but that goes away after you play her prologue. If anyone here has a PS3 or access to one, try it out. It’s kinda neat.

Ooh. I’ve tried the demo of Folklore. It seemed very nice. You might want to ask someone familiar with Assassin’s Creed about what’s going on. Whether it’s a batch of bad games or a system problem.

I… can’t get my head past the title of this topic…

Ahem.

I echo the whole “get a Dreamcast” thing. Seriously. Call yourself a Sega fan?
Sonic Adventure, Ecco, Shenmue, etc.

You’re missing some serious Shining Force III in the Saturn department. Best game ever? I’ll tell you when I’ve played scenarios 2 and 3.

And needless to say, Halo and Halo 2 for Xbox.

As dragoon lover there said, Ecco: Defender of the Future has some extremely obtuse puzzles. One very early almost completely stumped me, and what made it worse is that I’d tried the solution a couple times already, but it turned out I hadn’t done it just right

So if you ever play it, be prepared to give in and check a walkthrough once or twice, just in case, because giving up on it before things get really trippy would be a tragedy.

I want to try to clarify my personal context here though, and this may relate to Gehn’s sensibilities as well, and then just possibly yours Snow Girl. Since you’re such a big fan of the LoK series and Razial in particular. :wink:

Soul Reaver is absolutely building from Tomb Raider’s example. And while it’s a lot more refined in many respects, and the change to free movement as opposed to TR’s “tank” controls turns it into a different beast altogether… you might be surprised at just how much of what you love from that game has it’s precedent in the original Tomb Raider. So I will also second that recommendation, though honestly, it could be almost impossible to go back to because of said controls. And don’t expect to be wow’d by the storytelling as such, but the progression of the story itself is really special. You might just want to get Tomb Raider Anniversary, as a very close second to the original, but if you actually feel like trying the old-school tank girl try to get hold of the Saturn version. While it looks bland and low-res in some ways compared to the PS, it’s got an absolute atmosphere that no other version achieves, and it also doesn’t have the constant texture glitches and polygon seams which partially destroy the mechanical immersion when playing on Playstation.

Now, for me there’s a whole historical drama entangling both of those games as well. Tomb Raider was originated as a Saturn project, and the Saturn version of the second game was virtually done when Sony tied up the franchise. I was so looking forward to playing it and seeing it because they supposedly fixed the discrepancies in the versions and even implemented some true transparency effects on Saturn. In retrospect it’s not such a big deal cause TR2 wasn’t half the game the original was anyway… but hmm, now that’s another prototype I’d pay to see released. (maybe it has? reminder to self… ) There’s an odd little irony there few people would have ever been aware of, in Tomb Raider becoming such a signature Sony asset: TR’s kind of ‘Lego Block’ level engine is actually rather inefficient for the PS hardware, because it has to use triangle primitives, so each and every surface in the environments is two polygons. The game was built for the Saturn, which is also confined to one kind of primitive… squares.

My first, and at this point still only exposure to LoK was Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast. And damn, it’s got some of the most brilliant gameplay setups I’ve ever seen. I think I still only got to it around spring 2001, so as I finished it the follow up was only months from release, I was SO primed to continue the adventure as you may imagine. But then it was only weeks later that the death of the Dreamcast was made official, and shortly after that the DC version of SR2 also canceled… again despite being virtually done. It’s hard for me to even gage how much my purely emotional reaction may have affected my overall mindset, this was still very much in the midst of the period when awareness of the inflated, fanatical, cult-like expectations for PS2 was a relentless assault on any gamer’s reason. I’d seen and played games on a friend’s self-imported PS2 since a couple days after the JP launch, but it was literally impossible to get anyone to believe that it wasn’t particularly impressive.

OK, long story sorry, basically after playing a demo of SR2 from I think an OPN mag or something, I kind of hated the color quality of the PS2 version, and even the kinetics seemed off from the DC game that I already loved. It was such a deja vu of the Tomb Raider circumstance, and it was such a generally depressing time period. At that point I’d still never owned any DOS/Windows computer, so PC gaming wasn’t even part of my worldview. I very painfully severed any connection or concern for the Soul Reaver series, as part of what became a personal protest of sorts, in my determination to not ‘need’ a PS2. Indeed I’ve never owned one since, and being roommates with said same friend for a few years around that time, I got to play some of the great games without having to. And since I’ve committed to an MGS4 PS3 pack which I’ll hopefully be getting in a couple weeks here, I will be able to die without ever having ‘owned’ a PS2. lol

But reading this thread and remembering these things, I will definitely play Soul Reaver again, then track down SR2 and Defiance, possibly even the original game but… might be hard to stay with, especially given I basically know the end. :wink:

Alright, this is all very tangential and oblique I know… but there are three games that I seem to be able to group together as very equivalent exploration/adventure focused 3D action games, that transcend others in achieving the same kind of obsessive immersion and sense of “I’ve never played anything like this before”.

Tomb Raider, only the original!

LoZ: Ocarina of Time.

Ecco: Defender of the Future.

Soul Reaver is also very close, but it’s also so close to Tomb Raider in so many little details that it couldn’t quite achieve the freshness factor. And somewhat the same for ICO, while it’s totally unique taken as a whole, it wasn’t possible for me to escape comparisons to TR on the mechanical level, and the puzzle aspect doesn’t have quite the same tangible quality… whereas the atmosphere and silent movie quality of storytelling didn’t reach the same impact of Another World, the other game it was most reminiscent of for myself. Still those two are right up there as well.

I almost want to include JSRF, but it’s more of a pure action affair. Still, I’ve always felt like it’s nearly equal parts Mario 64, Tomb Raider and Tony Hawk’s… as well as a greater portion of something all it’s own.

So… I’m writing this to ‘hear’ myself as much as anything, obviously. :anjou_embarassed:

But having been inspired to further define my tastes, in reading these other examples, I also wanted to impress on you the potential importance of some of these games Snow Girl. Please don’t let the commodity that Laura Croft became put you off, there’s reasons beyond her iconic T&A that the series became such a sleeper hit, trust us. Again, only concern yourself with the original. And I will say the same about Halo, this is from a person who got an XBOX almost by accident, or as a lark really. I had very low expectation for the system in general, but that game was such a perfect fit for everything about it, and such an amazing ride on it’s own, that it almost immediately became my sentimental ‘replacement’ for the DC. Of course that doesn’t mean you will love it, it’s still an FPS, yet again, just don’t let the hype and the fact it’s popular and all the other bullshit get in the way, judged simply as a game it’s as good as it gets, the first one I mean.

It’s because I’ve noted an acute similarity of taste between myself and Gehn, and that you seem to be somewhat in line with those same tastes - although from much less in the way of example - as I said I just felt like trying to impress the possible importance of these games you have missed. :anjou_love:

Oh, also Ninja Gaiden then, Gehn and me seem to agree on that one as well. Not much of an adventure exactly, but for a pure action rush there’s nothing that can even compare so far. There’s been as much talk of how hard it is as anything else, but it’s all about empowerment. You put the investment into getting good at the game, and you get rewarded for it in equal measure. It’s the only action game that actually approaches the quality of a great vs fighter in that respect, and when you start to ‘master’ it you understand that in reality you have far more genuine control over your fate than in most games in the general mold.

I thought most all all 3D engines/systems actually handle triangles (well, other than voxels), with the Saturn being very weird (unique?) in that it handled squares instead…

Yeah Al3x, triangles are the accepted standard now and have been for a while. But Saturn renders it’s polys with sprites, it’s basically forced to using squares since each polygon is literally the bitmap itself. Sega’s arcade Model 1-3’s also used squares though, which would probably be the main reason VF3 was kind of disappointing on the Dreamcast, despite the fact DC was roughly twice the capability of Model 3. Dreamcast renders with triangles so in doing the port they needed to also use 2 polys for every one of the original geometry, either that or - as I’m sure it was a combination of both - rework the models entirely. I seem to recall Genki(?) was only given like 6 months for the project, must have been a real pain in the ass all around, and the results speak to that.

That’s probably the main reason ports were particularly awful between Playstation and Saturn, as a rule. Strait ports of the models from Saturn to PS could be done, but the performance would really suffer, but going from PS (triangles) to the Saturn was effectively impossible, requiring the extra work to translate the models, which would rarely be done as well. I don’t know precisely what the performance hit is likely to be in these scenarios, so much of most games will end up being square surfaces anyway, and in contemporary modeling the polygon usage can be largely automated. I assume new GPU’s will also treat 2 triangles more as a single calculation anyway, as part of the general efficiency algorithms so crucial to the performance we now see.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant the TR engine handles triangles so it’s inefficient for PS. But I guess you meant it all looks square and blocky so Saturn with its square primitives was better suited for it, so long as the game was created with that in mind.

Now, if using square primitives is so simple and really can affect performance (as opposed to one square having performance of 2 triangles anyway) then wouldn’t the GPU manufacturers have jumped on it years ago and added support for squares? That would mean game devs could use squares for large surfaces and triangles where more detail/smoothness is required which would greatly benefit performance… No? I think modelling programs let you do that but it then gets converted to all triangles when exported anyway…

Asking the above cos I honestly doubt, with Tomb Raider getting such performance on PS and Saturn, that the game really was built with the Saturn’s architecture and squares in mind. The PS wasn’t THAT much more powerful to be able to handle DOUBLE the amount of polys of Saturn just as efficiently, not back then at least, and not with a game like TR which already pushes the hardware… Not unless I’m right in thinking that 1 square = 2 triangles in performance anyway…

^the bit I added while you were evidently posting again kind of answers that. But again I can’t say as I know for sure. But I do recall very specifically noticing, at the time and just for the original game, that while the PS version looked a little smoother at times, some areas where you could get a panorama which included a lot of varied terrain in the field of view, the PS would chug down to like half the frame rate as the same spot on Saturn.

But regardless, I do know the PS would only render with triangles and the
Saturn with squares. Precisely what degree of performance hit that could mean for the Playstation I don’t know.

Edit: And as an adjunct, the fact that you can clearly see at times where they did translate the character models in VF3 to triangles, shows there must be some performance issues involved, or why would they bother? In theory the DC could crank out over twice the polys as Model 3, so in theory it should have been able to pull off all the same geometry no problem… shrug

[quote=“Shadow”]I echo the whole “get a Dreamcast” thing. Seriously. Call yourself a Sega fan?
Sonic Adventure, Ecco, Shenmue, etc.

You’re missing some serious Shining Force III in the Saturn department. Best game ever? I’ll tell you when I’ve played scenarios 2 and 3.

And needless to say, Halo and Halo 2 for Xbox.[/quote]

I’ve wanted a Dreamcast, I just never happened to get one. I’ve played them before. Like I said before, I’ll check out that store in the U-District.

Please stop trying to push Halo on me. I said no once already. =P

Heretic, I’m not going to quote you, just to save on space… =)

I remember playing Tomb Raider on a friend’s PC. I wasn’t that impressed, but if I can pick up a cheap copy, I might revisit it if you really think it’s worth it. As far as Soul Reaver goes, I never had a Dreamcast, so the only option I had was PS and PS2. I haven’t played Dreamcasts enough to validly argue the graphical quality, but I’ll take your word for it. With SR2, I wasn’t so much worried about the graphics and/or colour as I was the storyline. SR2 was the game that compelled me to get my tattoo. Raziel’s story took on a sort of important symbolism for me.

I’ll pay the store a visit and see what I can come up with. Thank you for sharing your recommendations with me. :anjou_love:

Just to be clear Snow Girl, I wasn’t intending to criticize SR2 on the PS2 as an entity. And as I’ve basically admitted I have no clue about the story, which since so many very discerning people seem to agree does not let down the first game at all… well I’m glad I got into this, cause I really do want to mend the relationship now.

But at the time it was simply a part of my general state of mind, the image quality of nearly every first or second-gen PS2 game was just so crappy. It was mostly an abstract annoyance when people wouldn’t shut up with impossible claims for how earth shattering the PS2 was going to be: but after the reality hit, and that reality was such a downgrade from the gorgeous IQ I’d become accustomed to, that’s when I began to seriously resent the situation. I know that my negativity towards the PS2 was greatly exaggerated by the fact all Sony’s bullshit had not only worked, but was continuing as law in the face of all objective evidence. I literally HATED looking at it’s characteristic gaudy, muddy, jaggy, and very jittery face. Almost the same way I can’t look at George W Bush’s face for more than 20 seconds without thinking treasonous thoughts…

Umm, so yeah, purely personal.

:anjou_happy: