Seeking Stimulation

…get your mind out of the gutter, Shadow.

This is a spinoff of my original posting about the Wii since it changed into a conversation about the quality of games. Alexander suggested I start a thread about the current consoles I own and what games I own/like and let you all suggest new things to try. I think that’s an excellent idea, so here we are. I promise to stay open. Just tell me about some of your favourite games and why. Older games are fine. I can look past graphics for good content or gameplay. =)

Consoles:

• Nintendo (NES)
  • Super Nintendo (SNES)
  • Sega CDX (anyone else have one of these?)
  • Sega Saturn
  • PlayStation
  • PS2
  • XBox
  • PS3

Games I Own:
(my nerd is showing)

NES

• Super Mario Bros./Duckhunter
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

SNES

• Street Fighter 2
  • Taz-Mania
  • Super Mario World
  • Yoshi’s Safari
  • Super Scope 6 game

Genesis

• Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic and Knuckles
  • Animaniacs
  • Gargoyles
  • Earthworm Jim 2

CDX

• Sonic CD
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco: Tides of Time
  • Streets of Rage
  • Columns
  • Golden Axe
  • Earthworm Jim Special Edition

Saturn

• Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Gex

PS

• Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus
  • Final Fantasy IX (this was a gift from my brother - I have yet to play it. =x)
  • Parasite Eve
  • Tekken 3
  • Evil Dead
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Legend of Dragoon

PS2

• Tekken Tag Tournament
  • Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  • Twisted Metal: Black
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • Devil May Cry
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Onimusha
  • SSX
  • Sonic Mega Collection

XBox

• Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Fable
  • Morrowind
  • Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee
  • Sega GT 2002/JetSetRadioFuture
  • Sudeki (a Christmas present I was never able to get into)

PS3

• Heavenly Sword
  • Motor Storm

PC

• World of Warcraft (which is visited very rarely - I should cancel and save my $16/mo)

You’re not a true nerd unless you own a Turbo Duo. Best.System.Ever.

No, true nerds own the FM Towns Marty.

If you even know what that is, you are a nerd.

[quote=“Chizzles”]No, true nerds own the FM Towns Marty.

If you even know what that is, you are a nerd.[/quote]

Definitely agree with you there. The FM Towns Marty had some pretty cool conversions on it - Operation Wolf with redbook audio comes to mind.

Not much of a PC gamer then eh? I’ll start simple. You didn’t post system specs for the PC but the titles I post should run considering you can run WoW. I’ll start with a hanful of simple suggestions off the top of my head, just to have something to go off of.

Everything I post I’ve purchased myself so I consider paying for them online (if that’s an option) quite safe and worthy :slight_smile:

Aquaria
Castlevania meets Ecco styled underwater adventure. Great atmosphere thanks to good visuals and music, great controls even if you don’t have a gamepad for your PC as the mouse alone can be sufficient and intuitive. Try the available demo of course. Just keep in mind it starts off slow, you don’t even have any form of attack for quite a while so consider it all a tutorial area until about that point (if the demo lets you go that far).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqY9mDOw-UI

The Witcher
An RPG that can stand up to old classics in my opinion. If Oblivion is your only example of western RPGs, this should be quite enjoyable. It’s not really similar in that it goes for a more focused linear experience than a wide open (but repetitive) world to explore at your leisure, but the fiction and atmosphere is superb. There’s still quite a bit of optional content to delve into, multiple paths to the same goals, various decisions to make which will affect the plot down the road. It can be sexist, but I’m sure it’s nothing you can’t handle. You might want to wait for an upcoming patch (and re-release) which will include some more NPC models for variety and a better English translation. There’s a demo available, various videos can be found on its website.

Portal
It looks like a FPS but it’s the best puzzle adventure game of recent years, with a most entertaining plot (of sorts). There’s also a demo for it, you’ll need Steam for either. Unless you go for a console version of The Orange Box but that means you also get two games that may not be your thing I guess. And no extra user maps (a great mod with a ton of levels was released recently). I always get Valve’s stuff on PC. Video on the same page.

Trackmania Nations Forever
Free version of the best damn puzzle racer (yep, I just said that) ever. It’s free so you have nothing to lose. Trackmania United Forever was a good purchase (via Steam) for me, but Nations (the free version) alone should last a long time if it hooks you. There’s nothing else quite like these games. Perfectly playable with just the arrow keys though lately I started using a shitty gamepad with a decent analog stick and that also works well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zwhC0PCYAa4

Every Extend Extra
It’s a PSP shooter, without shooting. It’s more of a chains based puzzle game actually. Very unique gameplay. There’s a PC demo to get, even though the actual game’s not available on PC. Rez dude was involved. Video on its website.

Galactic Civilizations II
I’m not sure if you play turn based strategy games of this sort. Imagine something along the lines of Civilization in space with more emphasis on dominance over countless rounds of empire building. You still get fleshed out empire building but not of that caliber. Get the standard game for a cheap $20 (or bargain bin even cheaper?) or wait for a compilation which includes all the expansions (Gold doesn’t, it only has the first) to get the most out of it. The expansions really are worth it and add more than a few units or other such things, especially the second (which requires the first…). There’s a demo but I’m not sure of what it offers. This article might just convince you as it shows the greatness of the AI which at times appears to be doing a few stupid things but is later proven to be damn smart. Videos don’t really do this type of game justice.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Still the best of the Metroidvanias in my opinion. I have the Playstation original, I’m not sure if it has had any re-releases outside Live Arcade or PSP’s unlockable status within Dracula X Chronicles. I don’t know how good Chronicles is but if it’s the only way you can get SoTN then it’s honestly worth it, even if you have to go through a mediocre game to unlock it. The video below shows a decent representation of the gameplay but not the exploration. It’s quite a large game with a lot of variety in every aspect.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5XPAfFVtv14

I guess I post more gameplay focused stuff as my mind’s been focused on that recently. Anyway, these are just starting suggestions to get this thread rolling.

Keep it simple guys, so she doesn’t have to scroll through tons of off topic text or duplicates or games she already owns anyway just to get to your own suggestions…

[quote=“Kadamose”]

[quote=“Chizzles”]No, true nerds own the FM Towns Marty.

If you even know what that is, you are a nerd.[/quote]

Definitely agree with you there. The FM Towns Marty had some pretty cool conversions on it - Operation Wolf with redbook audio comes to mind.[/quote]

I have only ever had the pleasure of playing a few ISOs on an FM Towns emulator, the machines themselves are not that hard to come across, the games though!

It is perplexing why someone would pay so much for a port when for only a little more they can own the actual Arcade boards of most of the games :anjou_embarassed:

Fuuuuh. This may take a while.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is my all time favorite. The atmosphere, quality of writing and characters, and the overall magic of the world just seem so remarkable compared with the rest of the RPGs out there.

From there, I love everything The Legend of Zelda. My second and third favorites are A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time respectively. A Link to the Past because it was the first Legend of Zelda game I’ve played that took the series into a broader, more story-driven direction and featured some awesome gameplay elements. Ocarina of Time because it was the first Legend of Zelda game taken into the 3D realm and was probably the most successful translation of a 2D franchise into a 3D one, IMO.

My fourth favorite game is Nights into Dreams. It’s hard to describe why I love that game especially since the sequel only felt like a “great” game instead of an “awesome” one. The original just felt so magical and innocent.

My fifth favorite game is probably Beyond Good and Evil. See my defense of the game for an explanation.

My sixth favorite game is Knights of the Old Republic. Hands down one of the most awesome Star Wars experience I’ve ever had.

My seventh favorite game is most likely Okami. Just an incredible, emotional, funny, and VERY PRETTY experience all around.

My eighth favorite game is Ico. It seems like just a basic boy/princess/castle game, but the look of the game and the way the characters were portrayed just made it seem like a REAL fantasy trip, not the same old magic and monsters type of fantasy we keep getting.

My ninth favorite game is Homeworld. Mix strategy space battles(but not of the 4X variety) with an epic storyline about a displaced race and evocative voice acting and this is what you get. It really does feel like you’re playing out a Battlestar Galactica novel.

My tenth favorite game is X-Wing. Very simple. Very basic. But still unrelenting in its authenticity.

Here are some more games I like without the descriptions.

Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry(first one only)
Any old school Sonic the Hedgehog game
Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco the Dolphin: Tides of Time
Any OTHER Legend of Zelda game I didn’t mention(except for the unauthorized CD-i games)
Super Mario Bros 1,2 and 3 and Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario
Guardian Heroes <— You seriously need to play this game
The Guardian Legend
Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2
Planescape: Torment
The Longest Journey
Sins of a Solar Empire
Medieval 1 and 2
Final Fantasy IX and Tactics
Xenogears
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (AWESOME game)
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3
Grandia
Fatal Frame 2
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei, and Orta
Gran Turismo 3 and 4
Burnout 3
Disgaea 2
Ikaruga
Star Fox and Star Fox 64

There’s probably more I forgot.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Not much of a PC gamer then eh? I’ll start simple. You didn’t post system specs for the PC but the titles I post should run considering you can run WoW. I’ll start with a hanful of simple suggestions off the top of my head, just to have something to go off of.

Everything I post I’ve purchased myself so I consider paying for them online (if that’s an option) quite safe and worthy :slight_smile:

Aquaria
Castlevania meets Ecco styled underwater adventure. Great atmosphere thanks to good visuals and music, great controls even if you don’t have a gamepad for your PC as the mouse alone can be sufficient and intuitive. Try the available demo of course. Just keep in mind it starts off slow, you don’t even have any form of attack for quite a while so consider it all a tutorial area until about that point (if the demo lets you go that far).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqY9mDOw-UI)

The Witcher
An RPG that can stand up to old classics in my opinion. If Oblivion is your only example of western RPGs, this should be quite enjoyable. It’s not really similar in that it goes for a more focused linear experience than a wide open (but repetitive) world to explore at your leisure, but the fiction and atmosphere is superb. There’s still quite a bit of optional content to delve into, multiple paths to the same goals, various decisions to make which will affect the plot down the road. It can be sexist, but I’m sure it’s nothing you can’t handle. You might want to wait for an upcoming patch (and re-release) which will include some more NPC models for variety and a better English translation. There’s a demo available, various videos can be found on its website.

Portal
It looks like a FPS but it’s the best puzzle adventure game of recent years, with a most entertaining plot (of sorts). There’s also a demo for it, you’ll need Steam for either. Unless you go for a console version of The Orange Box but that means you also get two games that may not be your thing I guess. And no extra user maps (a great mod with a ton of levels was released recently). I always get Valve’s stuff on PC. Video on the same page.

Trackmania Nations Forever
Free version of the best damn puzzle racer (yep, I just said that) ever. It’s free so you have nothing to lose. Trackmania United Forever was a good purchase (via Steam) for me, but Nations (the free version) alone should last a long time if it hooks you. There’s nothing else quite like these games. Perfectly playable with just the arrow keys though lately I started using a shitty gamepad with a decent analog stick and that also works well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhC0PCYAa4)

Every Extend Extra
It’s a PSP shooter, without shooting. It’s more of a chains based puzzle game actually. Very unique gameplay. There’s a PC demo to get, even though the actual game’s not available on PC. Rez dude was involved. Video on its website.

Galactic Civilizations II
I’m not sure if you play turn based strategy games of this sort. Imagine something along the lines of Civilization in space with more emphasis on dominance over countless rounds of empire building. You still get fleshed out empire building but not of that caliber. Get the standard game for a cheap $20 (or bargain bin even cheaper?) or wait for a compilation which includes all the expansions (Gold doesn’t, it only has the first) to get the most out of it. The expansions really are worth it and add more than a few units or other such things, especially the second (which requires the first…). There’s a demo but I’m not sure of what it offers. This article might just convince you as it shows the greatness of the AI which at times appears to be doing a few stupid things but is later proven to be damn smart. Videos don’t really do this type of game justice.

Still the best of the Metroidvanias in my opinion. I have the Playstation original, I’m not sure if it has had any re-releases outside Live Arcade or PSP’s unlockable status within Dracula X Chronicles. I don’t know how good Chronicles is but if it’s the only way you can get SoTN then it’s honestly worth it, even if you have to go through a mediocre game to unlock it. The video below shows a decent representation of the gameplay but not the exploration. It’s quite a large game with a lot of variety in every aspect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPAfFVtv14)

I guess I post more gameplay focused stuff as my mind’s been focused on that recently. Anyway, these are just starting suggestions to get this thread rolling.

Keep it simple guys, so she doesn’t have to scroll through tons of off topic text or duplicates or games she already owns anyway just to get to your own suggestions…

It’s true… I’m not much of a PC gamer. WoW was the first PC game that I ever really played. I’ll go ahead and post my specs for future reference:

Windows XP Prof. SP2
Pentium 4 2.80GHz
1.25 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7300 GS 512 MB PCI Express
SoundMAX Digital Audio

Nothing stellar, but it gets me by. Aquaria looks neat. I’m downloading the demo now. My boyfriend has Team Fortress 2 installed on my computer because his doesn’t have a DVD-ROM right now, so I have Steam on my computer. Portal looks interesting and challenging. I’ll probably check that out, too. I’ve always been curious about the Castlevania games, I’ve just never had the chance to play them. I’ll look online and see if I can find a PSX copy. If not, I’ll see what I can do. I haven’t been overly fond of strategy games because I’m terrible at them, but I’ll again, look into your suggestions. I’ll check out the other demos and links you posted, as well. Thank you. =)

…I also found my bf’s copy of Silent Hill 2, which I think I may bust out tonight…[/quote]

Turn based strategy is much different from real time, I can’t stand real time usually, but I’ve still lost countless hours in Civilization titles but also like Japanese style Strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem and of course Shining Force (up to 3…).

Off topic: (Wo)Man, I love digital distribution but damn is it making me spend more than usual on games… I even got The Witcher online from Atari’s download service… I guess it’s fine since in local shops it would cost me about 45 euros while I got it for about 33 (25 pounds?) off of there (using the UK site’s version, even though I’m from Greece)…

[quote=“dragoon lover”]Fuuuuh. This may take a while.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is my all time favorite. The atmosphere, quality of writing and characters, and the overall magic of the world just seem so remarkable compared with the rest of the RPGs out there.

From there, I love everything The Legend of Zelda. My second and third favorites are A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time respectively. A Link to the Past because it was the first Legend of Zelda game I’ve played that took the series into a broader, more story-driven direction and featured some awesome gameplay elements. Ocarina of Time because it was the first Legend of Zelda game taken into the 3D realm and was probably the most successful translation of a 2D franchise into a 3D one, IMO.

My fourth favorite game is Nights into Dreams. It’s hard to describe why I love that game especially since the sequel only felt like a “great” game instead of an “awesome” one. The original just felt so magical and innocent.

My fifth favorite game is probably Beyond Good and Evil. See my defense of the game for an explanation.

My sixth favorite game is Knights of the Old Republic. Hands down one of the most awesome Star Wars experience I’ve ever had.

My seventh favorite game is most likely Okami. Just an incredible, emotional, funny, and VERY PRETTY experience all around.

My eighth favorite game is Ico. It seems like just a basic boy/princess/castle game, but the look of the game and the way the characters were portrayed just made it seem like a REAL fantasy trip, not the same old magic and monsters type of fantasy we keep getting.

My ninth favorite game is Homeworld. Mix strategy space battles(but not of the 4X variety) with an epic storyline about a displaced race and evocative voice acting and this is what you get. It really does feel like you’re playing out a Battlestar Galactica novel.

My tenth favorite game is X-Wing. Very simple. Very basic. But still unrelenting in its authenticity.

Here are some more games I like without the descriptions.

Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry(first one only)
Any old school Sonic the Hedgehog game
Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco the Dolphin: Tides of Time
Any OTHER Legend of Zelda game I didn’t mention(except for the unauthorized CD-i games)
Super Mario Bros 1,2 and 3 and Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario
Guardian Heroes <— You seriously need to play this game
The Guardian Legend
Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2
Planescape: Torment
The Longest Journey
Sins of a Solar Empire
Medieval 1 and 2
Final Fantasy IX and Tactics
Xenogears
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (AWESOME game)
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3
Grandia
Fatal Frame 2
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei, and Orta
Gran Turismo 3 and 4
Burnout 3
Disgaea 2
Ikaruga
Star Fox and Star Fox 64

There’s probably more I forgot.[/quote]

I’ve never really played any of the Zelda games beyond NES, though I’ve been curious about them before. I suppose Nintendo hasn’t intrigued me enough to purchase one of their consoles. The two that I own were from my dad. =)

I have wanted to try The Longest Journey. One of my friends showed it to me. I saw the ad for Dreamfall when my bf was logging in to play Team Fortress 2, and it looks cool, too. I will look into your other suggestions, thank you. =)

Okay, now time for my favourite games:

OutRun 2 SP: This is the game that consumed most of my free time in 2006. I still regularily play it. Behind the deceptivley simple control scheme and lush graphics, lies a scoring system that is intricate to the point that once you learn how to really “work” the game, it becomes intoxicating. Quite possibly the perfect arcade racer.

**Fighting Vipers: ** As much as I love and enjoy Virtua Fighter, I find the fact that you can use the ring-wall in certain attacks in this game to be quite entertaining, also armour gives you something else to worry about while you’re kicking ass. Pepsiman’s guest appearance in the Japanese Saturn version makes it a must-buy, sadly he is not present in the PS2 version. Fighters Megamix was also awesome.

Grandia: A heart warming RPG, with colourful characters and interesting art direction, featuring music that ranges from the majestic to the irritatingly menacing. Sadly suffers occasionally from continuity issues and naff script. Other games I enjoyed from the series are Digital Museum, Grandia II and Grandia III.

**Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo: ** While the gameplay in this title is not particularily different from many other puzzlers in the genre, it’s the way in which Capcom have combined it succesfully with cutsey chibi versions of Capcom’s characters and their settings that make this game attractive to me. One of the best puzzlers around, and a must for fighting fans!

Banjo Kazooie: I am not particularily fond of platformers, I admit, however Banjo Kazooie’s tongue-in-cheek sense of humour and intricate level design just did it for me. A game I really love and place up there amongst the best.

Galaxy Force II Extended Edition: Arguably one of the best rail-shooters of all time. Oodles of gorgeous sprite scaling, combined with well thought out enemy attack patterns and the ability to turn around corners made this one of the most advanced shooters for the time. The Extended Edition on PS2 updates the graphics with lovley high resolution sprites and transparencies.

I have not mentioned Panzer Dragoon, as I feel the fact I am a member of this forum alone pretty much implies that I am fond of the series.

Below is a list of other crap I enjoy - in no particular order.

Rent A Hero No.1!
OutRun (Saturn version)
Guilty Gear

Pepsiman - so retarded it is awesome.
Strikers 1945
Secret of Mana

Sonic The Hedgehog
Mario Bros.
Halo 2

Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Kula World
Final Fantasy 6

Zelda Majora’s Mask
Ristar
Gunstar Heroes

Ikaruga
Radiant Silvergun
Star Parodia

Sexy Parodius
Thunderforce IV
Virtua Fighter (Series)

Shilouette Mirage
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
R-Type

Worms
Lemmings
Silent Hill (series)

Metal Gear Solid (Series)
Toejam and Earl III
Alien Soldier

Fantasy Zone (Saturn Version)
Shenmue II
Theme Hospital

NiGHTS (Ps2/Saturn)
Donkey Kong Country
Metal Slug (Series)

CRUSH! (PSP)
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Space Channel 5 Part 2

I could sit here writing all day, I enjoy way too many games for my own good. :anjou_sad:

You guys might also wanna provide suggestions for easy (and legal I guess, including abandonware for REALLY old stuff) ways for her to obtain some of the games you’re suggesting as you can’t just go to a store or order them from online shops (unless one trusts EBAY I guess) if they’re more than a few years old or are on dead systems.

For example, Snow doesn’t even list the ownership of an N64 but I see a few mentions of games for it just cos they’re your favorites. That’s probably a bit confusing when you don’t even list what system it is for so she knows she can’t have it so easy (has to borrow someone else’s for it or just give up on it or whatever one is willing to do) from the start.

Also, maybe list exactly which part of a series you’re suggesting. Worms includes quite a few for example. Some better, some worse and some with completely different gameplay.

Anyway, I’m ranting, I just think people may have misunderstood the point of the topic making it difficult to get to the few games that are easy to aquire and may just get someone interested in gaming again, having lost faith in the last/current gen as I’m sure many of us have at some point.

PS: Added another game to my list, right after Aquaria. Maybe ditch that quote of me Snow, and check that out also.

I am just suggesting a bunch of random crap I enjoy.

There are plenty of online stores that deal in retro, a quick googling reveals plenty :wink: Including the formats of the games I speak of :wink:

If she doesn’t have a format for some of those games, then it provides food to buy said format =p

I’m sure you can be more helpful than that, google can also provide a shitload of “good games” lists after all, so we wouldn’t have a thread in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s a trusted store you’ve used or whatever? Or someone you know has used. And ships to wherever Snow is. And may have the games you suggest. Etc. Anyway, taking this off topic too much I guess…

http://www.GenkiVideoGames.com is very good.

Omega Boost is a PS1 game to look out for if you like Panzer, it is a 100% shameless rip-off with horrible live action FMVs, however it plays just like any Panzer Rail shooter.

Oh yeah. ^^;; I’ve noticed she said she wasn’t much of a computer game person either, but I’ve listed several. Strategy games at that.

But no Saturn fan’s library is complete without Guardian Heroes(or Radiant Silvergun for that matter, you lucky shiznit XD ).

Grandia is hands down LEAGUES above anything done by Square.

I listed games she already has and ones for platforms she doesn’t own :stuck_out_tongue: beat that :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite games:

Grim Fandango - Best writing in any game ever. No joke.

Monkey Island Series - Classic and extremely funny

Psychonauts - Best game of last console generation IMO

Silent Hill 1-3 - Greatest survival horror games I’ve ever played

Ecco the Dolphin Series - Beautiful and brilliant, especially for the time

NiGHTS - It’s hard to explain why it’s awesome, it just is.

Jet Set Radio Future - What is the concept of love? Naganuma seems to know…

Landstalker - Best Zelda game that’s not Zelda

I noticed Legacy of Kain : Defiance isn’t mentioned on your list. Knowing that you are, at the very least, a Raziel fan, that would be my first and most urgent recommendation.

Now a list of my non-LoK, non-PD favorites :

Riven - my favorite adventure game of all time. The most original conworld in videogaming. It’s just as amazing as it was 11 years ago.

ICO - the gameplay isn’t out of this world but the overall experience sure is.

Shadow of the Colossus - It takes takes that certain “je ne sais quoi” of boss battling in a alien world to whole new level. A fully “explorable”, beautiful world.

Tomb Raider 1 - it’s about exploring ancient places no one has ever been to for centuries, in complete isolation. None of the sequels has even come close to the greatness of the original.

Rez - Take the fun rail-shooting mechanics of PDZwei and mix it with electro/trance music and Tron-like visuals. The end result is much more than the sum of it’s parts. Much like ICO it’s the sort of game in which the gameplay seems like something you’ve seen before, until you actually see it in the context of the game world.

NiGHTS - forget Sonic, Mario or any of the other “kiddy” characters out there. Nights is king. Instead of jumping, your primary way in which to interact with the world is by flying.

**Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic **- I’d recommend Planescapre Torment as the best western RPG if I had actually finished the game. KOTOR is not that far behind, though, and is an experience that anyone can enjoy - SW fan or not. You just never get tired of interacting with NPCs in this game. So many character diversity and interesting dialogue.

Halo - the best FPS ever. Period. Introduces a bunch of concepts that just click right away and proves that you can play FPSs with a gamepad.

Burning Rangers - this game transpires game-y coolness. If this was a music album it would probably be pop rock, but the kind of pop rock EVERYONE likes, whether they like to admit it or not. It’s above anything else a Sega game. Cool jetpack mechanics. A game about being an everyday hero in the future.

Also one very important thing about all of these games is that they all have awesome soundtracks (KOTOR being the exception; altough the music is good by any standard) - something very very important for me in games. I have never loved a game to death that didn’t have great music. It’s about immersion and momentum.

I found Burning Rangers to be entertaining, although there are some aspects of the game that could seriously be re-worked (Level design occasionally gets a bit bland, although for the most part is pretty interesting. The physics are also a bit clumsy and “floaty” in areas) - originally there was to be a two player battle mode, it got axed though, shame.

Still, it’s a blast while it lasts, and the boss design is fantastic.

Unfortunately the English version of the game is rising in price now and it’s hard to say that is worth the ?60-70 price tag it often commands;

The Japanese version will set you back as little as ?15, although you might struggle to find your way about as the game uses a voice based navigation system.

I say keep a look out for it, but don’t blow too much cash for it.