Project Draco for Kinect Art Looks Familiar

[quote=“Nemoide”]

[quote=“Ehndow”]Well…it’s cool but…why didn’t they make this a Panzer Dragoon sequel?!! I mean, Kusonoki and Futatsugi and dragons and dragons with light beams bursting from their mouths…

Why not PD? I don’t get it.[/quote]

Probably because Panzer Dragoon is still a Sega property.

I like the fact that both games have PD as the initials. It just ties the two properties closer.[/quote]

Yeah, Phantom Dust (previous Futatsugi game)also has PD as initials

[begin rant]

Oh boy, this whole Kinect stuff is really annoying me.

Great, we now have something Panzer-like coming, but hell, did it really have to depend on that thing? I mean, Kinect isn’t even released yet, and lots of studios are making huge bets on it like it’s going to change the future and the past and do your laundry and homework. Let me put it shortly: motion sensing is ridiculously imprecise and requires the use of algorithms that cannot guarantee a high degree of accuracy without a large computational cost or lag. Most, if not all games require precision, accuracy and responsiveness. So yeah…

Alright, cool, I’ll be able to ride a dragon and control it with my body instead of the “unrealistic” gamepad. Awesome. No, really! The next best thing would be to actually ride a dragon in a Holodeck! I don’t really mind the dragon designs, nor the graphics quality (well, I do have my standards; they’re just a bit more relaxed), but please, PLEASE, make it fun enough to compensate for the technical difficulties that will inevitably arise from the use of this immature technology called motion sensing. Bad things already happened; please learn from these mistakes. cough Sixaxis cough Lair cough. And PLEASE give us the option to play the game with a gamepad. I’d love to play it online, but I’m pretty sure the game will be nearly devoid of players if it’s Kinect-exclusive. Even more so if this Kinect fails to deliver an acceptable experience.

I’m depressed to know that there are so many dragon riding games out there, but none of them making justice to the severely underrated Panzer Dragoon series. They’re crippled by bad game mechanics, poor story, annoying controls, horrible gameplay, or any combination thereof. The only few good (or passable) dragon games I can remember are the Panzer Dragoon series (obviously), Drakan (really good, but it’s very old, probably won’t work on Vista/7, but may work under virtualization), Drakengard (fun for the first few levels, but it gets boring really quick) and Divinity 2 (a bit of a stretch, because the game is still glitchy and imbalanced as hell, and it takes about FIVE in-game hours plus a nearly unwinnable fight against a boss who can one-shot you to actually get the dragon form, and even after that you must spend most of the time on foot because all you can do as a dragon is fight a few flying things and destroy turrets, AND on top of that there are places where you simply cannot fly). Darksiders deserves an honorable mention here, although the Panzer Dragoon section is depressingly short (and it’s not a dragon).

I’m not even gonna get started with Kinect as a whole (and motion-sensing controllers in general, for that matter) because it would become an even bigger unreadable wall of text.

[end rant]

Sorry about that. Anyway, it’s good to know that the Panzer spirit is still alive on those guys. I hope their work doesn’t get crippled by “innovative” technology like what happened to that poor Lair. Damn, that game had such great potential…

On the other hand, if this Kinect works great, Project Draco will probably be the best Panzer Dragoon game ever, even if it’s not canonically part of the series.

I really wanna see Project Draco becoming a great, fun, enjoyable, memorable game, but I will remain skeptical until Kinect proves me wrong.

[size=75]BTW, this post just made me want to play Drakan again. I’ll find a copy and hope VMWare cooperates. And hope StarCraft II doesn’t steal my weekends.[/size]

[quote=“Ehndow”].why didn’t they make this a Panzer Dragoon sequel?!! I mean, Kusonoki and Futatsugi and dragons and dragons with light beams bursting from their mouths…

Why not PD? I don’t get it.

[/quote]

Becasue that old SEGA is dead. The new SEGA rather put Zombies in Yakuza sadly

Some more info, although I don’t know how realible the source is:

co-optimus.com/article/4586/ … -xbla.html

“Exclusive to Xbox Live Arcade” apparently.

Luckett X, I’m curious to see a confirmation for the gamepad support too. Rynex?

Oh… If it’s downloadable then I don’t imagine it will be a really big experience or anything, selling it for $15 will hardly mean they invested too much in it… It can still be a good shooter though.

Yeah. I’m not sure how well a full priced rail shooter would sell these days, anyway. Xbox Live Arcade seems like a more solid bet.

I’m not sure it’s on rails though, what with having an online mode that allows you to bring customised dragons or whatever. That can’t be just high scores.

On-rails was mentioned in this article that I linked to:

co-optimus.com/article/4586/ … -xbla.html

I’m not sure of the reliability of this information, of course. It will be interesting to see how the online features work.

Some more info:

gamer.blorge.com/2010/09/16/tgs- … successor/

[quote]Project Draco is a flying/shooter game for the Kinect. Apparently you will ride a dragon and battle other riders in the air. The game is being developed by the same director that made Panzer Dragoon.

He indicated that you will be able to fly your dragon without a joystick by ?pretending? to hold onto the reins. You will also be able to ?point? at an enemy to attack them.[/quote]

It sounds like it might be fun to try (the Kinect controls), but for longer sessions I hope there’s the option of using a normal controller.

I do not trust that XBLA stuff. They didn’t say anything other than “it’s coming to the Xbox 360 on 2011 with Kinect support”. Just go watch the trailer, that’s all there is to it right now.

Yet another article.

joystiq.com/2010/09/17/proje … r-dragoon/

Beat me to it. :anjou_happy:

Some core members of Team Andromeda are working on Project Draco according to this article:

mindch.com/2010/09/original- … ehind.html

This info was all in the trailer, anyway.

Regardless of whether Saori is composing the music, the trailer sounds great. Panzerish but more asian.

Yeah… Either way, when Project Draco Saga is announced I’m buying 100 copies :stuck_out_tongue:

Seeing how Kinect is likely to fail horribly, I sure hope this game is playable with the gamepad. I could see Kinect work for an RPG like Saga but there’s no way it could work for an on-rails shooter without dumbing down the gameplay.

I hope they realize that Kinect is bad for “hardcore” games and give us the possibility to play with a gamepad, even if that means I no longer get to “nurture” my dragon or whatever that was. I’m already imagining how that would work, and certainly would be cool with Kinect, but… take a look at yet another demo of Child of Eden. See how it lags? Looks like about half a second, far too much to be called “responsive”. Also, the thing stops working halfway through the level.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]
Becasue that old SEGA is dead. The new SEGA rather put Zombies in Yakuza sadly[/quote]

In all fairness to Sega, the Yakuza + Zombies thing is partly a joke. It’s like a B movie (hell, there are actually yakuza vs zombie movies out there already). They want to use the Yakuza characters in a variety of situations like “virtual actors” (see: Tezuka Osamu’s manga). They already did it once with Ryu ga Gotoku: Kenzan - this is just another one of those attempts, but it happens to be set in Kamurocho.

I wouldn’t take it too seriously if I were you. I highly doubt this is an official sequel.

Well a rare chance to look in while my existence is in flux… but this is big news!

I don’t understand quite this level of Kinect resistance, it’s unproven but that’s kinda the point. And no Kinect wont bomb, it just may flounder for a long while; unlike Sony or even Nintendo’s motion controls MS is hunting a paradigm shift with much further reach than console standards. Kinect is just a spearhead for tech that WILL become an interface staple at some point, make no mistake about that.

As for whether it realizes that potential on 360 and with the core is another matter. But Mizuguchi seems genuinely inspired by it, and I have near absolute faith in Futatsugi-san at this point… I don’t anticipate being fundamentally let down. Though since it’s not Panzer anyway I don’t have any sticky expectations to be let down about, so I just hope it’s fun, however that has to be realized.

I’ll echo that the trailer fails to inspire at this stage, but the concept art is clearly chosen to be provocative. What’s most conspicuously lacking is any idea of the setting though, will it resemble the world of PD at all I wonder? Somehow I can’t anticipate that, it’s too particular to try to reference without trying to recreate it in full… which would be a bad idea.

Yes I agree- I don’t think it is a fad either- it may be baby steps, but agree similar stuff is going to get more and more integrated it everything.

The other thing to keep in mind is Kinect does not force developers to not use a controller- you can use a controller and kinect fine. I’m not saying Draco will use this configuration, but the whole “you can’t use buttons” is inaccurate. I could see Steel Battalion for Kinect (it is announced) use two controllers and your whole body.

I also have an iPhone, and while everyone dismisses it for only having shallow games, a lot of the unique control schemes on it are pretty fun experiences. As a gamer, I think it is all pretty exciting to see some different ways of interacting.

[quote=“Abadd”]

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]
Becasue that old SEGA is dead. The new SEGA rather put Zombies in Yakuza sadly[/quote]

I wouldn’t take it too seriously if I were you. I highly doubt this is an official sequel.[/quote]

I know that, and it was the same with Sonic games, they were plenty of Side story and spin off games, but I’m getting tired of the endless milking and the yearly updates, giving the team no chance to improve the tech, or at least Model and create a brand new City .

I just see Yakuza and the Team going the same way as Tomb Raider and CORE.