Pdaa 2008?

As Solo brought to my attention recently, we’ve had a lot of new members in the past year, and a few returning ones too. So would the community be interested in a third Panzer Dragoon Academy Awards?

You can find the previous results at the PDAA website. What categories would you like to see return? And are there any new ones you feel should be included?

Let me know what you guys think. If there’s enough interest I’ll begin the organising :slight_smile:

Shadow it would great if you could organise another PDAA.

I think it’s important to acknowledge the achievements and contributions from this communitie’s members.

e.g. Gehn winning the “Spammer of the Year 2004” award :stuck_out_tongue:

Gehn, I think you’ll have your work cut out for you this year, what with stiff competition from Alex and Team Andromeda lately :stuck_out_tongue:

New category suggestion: Most fanatical PD fan :anjou_love:

What units would you use to measure somebody’s level of “fanaticism”?

I think Solo would win that every year for running this place :stuck_out_tongue:

How does a questionnaire sound?

The questions would relate to anything concerning PD.

e.g. games/merchandise owned, games 100% completed, websites/music/videos published, fanfiction/theories/guides written etc.

A points scheme could be devised whereby points are awarded depending on how one answers questions.

We could call these “Spiritual Closeness” points :stuck_out_tongue:

The one with the most points is deemed the most fanatical PD fan. If there’s a tie then it goes to the public vote.

Shadow, how does this sound?

PS. Who voted no btw? Go on, own up!

This won’t go unpunished.

Either a dozen lashes or a night out with Gehn seems appropriate punishment :stuck_out_tongue:

The former is considerably less painful.

I think it could be fun.

Yeah, perhaps. Mind you, there are PD fans out there who have met the developers (Lord Craymen), have translated whole sections of the PD guides from Japanese (Kimimi), who own almost every single PD item and have written extensive amounts of text on the series (Lance), so I imagine there would be some serious competition. My own collection is quite small in comparison (I don’t even own PD Mini or the Anime).

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]

Yeah, perhaps. Mind you, there are PD fans out there who have met the developers (Lord Craymen), have translated whole sections of the PD guides from Japanese (Kimimi), who own almost every single PD item and have written extensive amounts of text on the series (Lance), so I imagine there would be some serious competition. My own collection is quite small in comparison (I don’t even own PD Mini or the Anime).[/quote]

The question is : would you kill to get a PD sequel? If not, you are not worthy!

well… i might consider killing to not get one >_>

I want a new Windows 95 Entertainment pack.
All we get now is damn pinball and card games.

Anyway, hmm, I’m not sure owning everything is as much a testament to one’s fanboyism as it is to how much money they have.

I’m sure most of us would own everything related to Panzer Dragoon if we could affoard it :anjou_embarassed:

I’m only half way there :anjou_angry:

[quote=“Ehndow”]
The question is : would you kill to get a PD sequel? If not, you are not worthy![/quote]

Gehn you madman!

If we had an award recognising crazed blood lust as an achievement, you’d win hands down :smiley:

[quote=“Ehndow”]
Kage, don’t mention the PDAA spammer award. I’m still hurt about that one… :anjou_sad:[/quote]

Hehehhehe :anjou_love:

[quote=“Scott”]

to get a PD sequel? If not, you are not worthy!

well… i might consider killing to not get one >_>[/quote]

I know how you feel Scott, I just got your PM.

A sequel can be just as good as the earlier games, as long as it’s in good hands.

Sega used to have good hands once. Now they look as if someone’s smashed them repeatedly with a sledge hammer :anjou_sad:

[quote=“Chizzles”]
Anyway, hmm, I’m not sure owning everything is as much a testament to one’s fanboyism as it is to how much money they have.[/quote]

Good point Chizzles.

If Shadow goes through with the idea of a PD questionnaire, I think it would be fair if the scoring system could take this into account.

I’m open to the idea of having a questionaire, but it brings up several issues:

i. Would people really be willing to fill in this questionaire (it wouldn’t be short) as well as complete the nomination form?

ii. I wouldn’t even really know where to begin writing such a questionaire.

iii. What’s to stop people cheating?

And if questionaires decide winners then we won’t have voting which I always thought was the point of this in the first place >_>

Fair points Shadow, it probably does sound like more effort than it’s worth.

As Chizzles mentioned, fanaticism isn’t an easy thing to measure.

How about this: people could submit a brief description of why they think they’re the most fanatical PD fan. Voters would read these and vote accordingly. How does that sound?

Otherwise we could just have straightforward voting, or just scrap the category altogether, or just let Solo win by default :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s up to you m8, whatever works best, I’m just throwing some ideas around.

About potential cheating: I’d be surprised if someone did indeed cheat. I don’t think anyone here comes across as sly - except for that mischievous Portuguese rogue of course! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m good with that :anjou_sly:

Although in all seriousness, it might be best to leave the award out or have awards for certain types of PD fanatic such as “Most Knowledgeable PD fan” or “Best collection of PD merchandise”. Thoughts?

I’m good with that :anjou_sly:[/quote]

Hehe, I thought you would be :anjou_love:

Although in all seriousness, it might be best to leave the award out or have awards for certain types of PD fanatic such as “Most Knowledgeable PD fan” or “Best collection of PD merchandise”. Thoughts?[/quote]

Sounds good Solo, breaking it down into separate categories would make it easier for voters. It would mean more work for Shadow though :stuck_out_tongue:

For “Best collection of PD merchandise” people could submit a list and/or photo of what they own. The problem is defining “best” e.g. someone may have a large collection with no rare items, whereas someone else may only have a small collection but with several rare items. Who then would have the ‘best’ collection in this scenario? Would it simply boil down to voter opinion? Would this be fair?

For “Most Knowledgeable PD fan” people could have a look at the written content that’s hosted on the site e.g. theories, guides etc. and also how people respond in PD related topics in the forum. Or we could devise an extensive multiple choice exam containing hundreds of questions that test one’s PD knowledge.

Yes Shadow that last point was a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

I can imagine you thinking “you’re bloody joking!” at the prospect of more workload, hehe :anjou_happy:

bump

Any plans to go ahead with this, Shadow? We’ve missed the opportunity for a PDAA 2008, but a PDAA 2009 would be just as good.

With the reduced size of the community, I’m not really sure if it would work. :confused: