PD for Revolution: Good idea?

I thought it would be pretty rad to make a PD (SHOOTER) game for the Revolution. Doesn’t have to be a totally new game, it can even be a remake of PD 1 for all I care. But I think the controller possibilities will make the game really fun to play.
What do you think?

As good an idea as it is for any other console. Of course it’d be nice to see how Sega take advantage of the controller for a PD game.

I actually don’t think playing with Rev’s controller will be much fun.Still it would be fun for curiousity…

What abou the controller do you think would make playing a Panzer game more fun than a standard controller?

Depends on what kind of a panzer game it would be. I don’ think it would make much of a difference in a port of the rail shooters (or even saga) but if it was a new game created for the Rev (or any console) the controller could enhance it just as the mouse and keyboard enhance PC games.

I’d like to see a first person adventure (or action adventure) game where you use the analogue stick to move and the wand to look around (mouselook-ish). Sort of like that old Revolution controller video where it hinted at nifty functions like moving the wand closer to zoom in and examine something while holding it and using it as a flashlight.

If it had action elements the wand would be used to aim your weapons like a lightgun on top of the “mouselook” functions.

They could probably also make some cool riddles that require you to do certain actions with your hands (shape symbols? move objects? push a specific sequence? whatever) while the character’s in-game arms would follow your own movements.

I mean, you could do those things just with pushing the “X” button on a PS3 or X360 controller but it’s all about adding another layer to the immersion factor. Don’t control the character, BE the character. That’s what I think the Rev can offer, the ability to get closer than ever before to the characters for serious games while it can also provide an extra layer of fun and depth and interaction to gameplay mechanics.

Of course the ideal would be to make a full first person view RPG but that would be daydreaming way too much…

But hell even a new rail shooter could be enhanced enough. We’ve talked about that arcade PD idea before, it could be easily adapted to the Rev. Shooting down biomonsters and ancient machinery as if using a lightgun would certainly add a whole new dimension to the game style while you’d still retain full (well as full as it is in a rail shooter) control of the dragon with the analogue stick. But it would have to be a game designed around this ability as I think the current panzer games would become too easy as you can aim instantly and the dragon doesn’t have to follow your aim.

All in all any kind of game type could be enhanced heavily in interaction and immersion with the Rev’s controller. Asking in what ways we think it can enhance a pd game without specifying a genre is as broad as asking someone “what can you do in life” or something… Anyone who doesn’t see the possibilities in this input method simply hasn’t read enough about it or is being close minded imo…

I was thinking the same thing. But I think the design of the game, especially the level of immersion into the game and the difficulty will only be determined once we know the full capabilities of the Revolution.
Maybe incorporating QTE events ala Shenmue would be a good idea? Or restricting the cursor’s sensitivity depending on the dragon’s form?

Well it’s not a bad idea in and of itself, if done with discretion and inspiration there’s obviously some cool possibilities. Panzer Dragoon is a certain experience as it has been represented thus far and translating that experience to the Rev could range anywhere from the exact same thing just with a different controller that may or may not be preferable, to a completely different experience that may or may not be “more fun” than the experience we already know.

For example I can’t recall seeing anyone say that Panzer Dragoon would be better if only it used mouse/keyboard control before, why is this any different? And since this topic already represented many examples of the gameplay experience assumed to be enhanced by the Rev controller I don’t see how a specification of genre is required to ask for further qualification?

For myself I guess I’m attached enough to the PD experience I already know that the Rev controller (not having any direct experience of it) doesn’t have any specific attraction, in the context of Panzer Dragoon alone.

The problem I have is not with the concept, but the (potential) execution - whilst it would be great to shoot down enemies by swinging around and firing at them rather than just sweeping a crosshair over them, the Rev controller is, aesthetically, a TV remote.
Torches, generic “mouselook” features… I could happily use these functions with the Rev controller, as the device is not integral to the experience.
I suppose it’s just because I’ve grown up using real lightguns, but it wouldn’t feel right to me using a similar-but-not-quite device for the job. mumbles about the “good old days” when you could count sound channels on a zombies digits

Well, you have to give the Revolution controller some credit. 2 buttons? Getting rid of the complexity of current controllers? Ingenius.

I’ve been pretty negative about the Revolution so far, but I’m actually starting to see alot of potential that I didn’t see before. The fact that a NES, SNES, Genesis, and PC-Engine are all built in ONBOARD and not emulated is another thing that’s really cool…especially the PC-Engine.

I can appreciate what nintendo are trying to accomplish - getting back to the basics in an attempt to capture those people who are interested in playing games but get put off by three separate directional inputs and an army of face buttons - but I think it’s also a pitfall.
IMO, the “nunchuck” add-on says to me that before any games are even released the standard controller is not enough for what they have in mind. It also adds an extra hurdle to third-party support, which is something Nintendo really need to court. I can’t imagine companies are going to wish to build the control system from the ground up just to get their game on the Revolution, and Nintendos sales record for the past few years hasn’t been stellar (outside of first/“second” party titles).

If anybody is going to release a small, experimental game, they’re guaranteed a much higher return if they do it through Xbox Live Arcade (no publishing costs), handheld (generally cheaper development), or on the PS2 (larger audience for everything).

As for the ability to play older games… I couldn’t give a monkeys, personally. I’d rather have originals any day, and in the case of the Revs retro catalogue, I do.

I want to be wrong, I really do - about everything I’ve just written. Nintendo in my eyes though have done naff all this generation for me apart from promise to release Twilight Princess at some point :confused:

“To move forward, one must first move backward”

It’s too bad Sega doesn’t still make hardware, because they would show everyone how to do something right (at least on the hardware end). It’s ironic, and cruel, how the most talented and the most respected, always takes the first nose dive. Hopefully, we’ll see Sega in the hardware business again…but I doubt it, considering this will be the last console war.

[quote=“Kimimi”]
IMO, the “nunchuck” add-on says… the standard controller is not enough for what they have in mind. It also adds an extra hurdle to third-party support[/quote]

Actually, quite the opposite. The nunchaku controller allows for the Revolution controller to potentially act as a standard controller.

Not to say that publishing experimental-type games on Revolution would be any more profitable, but how did you come to these conclusions? Xbox Live Arcade, in particular. Each of the examples you gave has its own challenges. For example:

XBL Arcade: Very low dev costs, and no distribution costs, but Xbox takes a rather large royalty percentage, and the actual number of people downloading the games is quite small. In addition, the size of the files that you are allowed to put up for sale is fairly limited, making anything beyond a simple arcade game difficult to make available via this system.

Handheld is actually quite difficult. On GBA, while dev costs are cheaper, it’s also a very over-crowded market, and generally tends to SKU extremely young. Aside from first party titles and established franchises (such as Castlevania and Sonic), the only games that sell anything worthwhile are licensed kids products. On DS, the only games that are selling are 1st/2nd party titles. On PSP, nothing, aside from GTA, is really making huge numbers. There are titles that are selling half-decently, but nothing that would suggest putting out an experimental title would potentially give you good returns.

And PS2… if you happen to get lucky with the hardcore buzz, like Katamari did, sure. It works. Or, if you are 1st party and can afford to spend a few million marketing a niche title just to get street cred with your fanbase. But for most publishers, the competition is too stiff, and there are simply too many distractions for gamers to spend their money elsewhere. Not many gamers would plop down money for a quirky game, when there are so many Greatest Hits titles, or the newest Kingdom Hearts just released, etc.

To quote the popular (but fading) internet meme: O RLY?

Yes, Abadd, it will be the last console war. Especially if you take into account that 90% of the world’s population will be destroyed at the end of 2012. This isn’t a joke, either. A massive pole shift is about to occur, and sadly, it’s not science fiction.

Being the misanthrope I am, however, I’m actually looking forward to it.

But what about your nanotechnology powered paradise filled with cat-chicks? You don’t have that to look forward to anymore? :anjou_sigh:

That’s not true. Maybe the 10% who do survive will unite and create a utopia. My paradise can’t handle 6 billion people anyway, so the coming pole shift, as well as the slow poisoning of the population, (i.e. MSG, Aspartame, Fluoride, Chemtrails, Vaccines, etc etc), are blessings in disguise.

[quote]…There are titles that are selling half-decently, but nothing that would suggest putting out an experimental title would potentially give you good returns.

And PS2… if you happen to get lucky with the hardcore buzz, like Katamari did, sure. It works. [/quote]

I’m not denying that publishing a niche title would be easy on anything, and the points you make are more than valid, but here’s (some of) how I see it -

Xbox Live - You’re right, games are limited due to the file size limit, and understandable so. However, it seems to already become something of a breeding ground for the bedroom coder mentality that has mostly left the console scene. Microsoft seem happy to encourage it too, which is always a good thing to see.

Handheld - Brain Training is current proof that niche “non-game-games” can achieve suprise commercial success. Games don’t have to sell as well as GTA/Sonic/Castlevania to turn a profit - ports of Scrabble, poker and various cheap puzzle games are slow-burning sellers that do well with non-gamers because they’re cheap and familiar.

PS2 - There is no reason why a niche title would gain more recognition by being on the Playstation, but capturing 1% of the PS2 market is simply more sales than 1% of the GC market. Also, there is a core of PS2 owners that enjoy the more out of the way titles - King of Fighters, Gregory Horror Show, Mad Maestro, Mr Mosquito and Under the Skin aren’t released for the hell of it.

Meh. Just my thoughts, anyway. There’s a reason why I’m not CEO of somewhere important :slight_smile:

XD

[quote=“Kimimi”]
Handheld - Brain Training is current proof that niche “non-game-games” can achieve suprise commercial success. Games don’t have to sell as well as GTA/Sonic/Castlevania to turn a profit - ports of Scrabble, poker and various cheap puzzle games are slow-burning sellers that do well with non-gamers because they’re cheap and familiar.[/quote]

A phenomenon that is mostly contained in Japan (in terms of Brain Trainer). They (read: Nintendo 1st party) are likely have a fair amount of success in the US, simply because they have a loyal fanbase and their games are highly polished, but my point stands that the majority of 3rd party publishers are suffering on Nintendo handhelds. And even simple games like Scrabble or poker or whatever… there’s just so many of them that only one or two does well, and the rest tank.

[quote=“Kimimi”]PS2 - There is no reason why a niche title would gain more recognition by being on the Playstation, but capturing 1% of the PS2 market is simply more sales than 1% of the GC market. Also, there is a core of PS2 owners that enjoy the more out of the way titles - King of Fighters, Gregory Horror Show, Mad Maestro, Mr Mosquito and Under the Skin aren’t released for the hell of it.

Meh. Just my thoughts, anyway. There’s a reason why I’m not CEO of somewhere important :)[/quote]

Sure, the audience is bigger, but a lot of titles released on the PS2 sell sub-5000 units. Even games like Made Maestro had quite large marketing budgets (relative to the scope of the game). It’s very difficult to turn a profit on a game when you are only selling 5,000 or even 10,000 copies.

Games like King of Fighters, though, are slightly different. There is a very specific crowd of gamers that buys 2D fighters, but even Street Fighter can only muster about 60K in sales. I’m sure Capcom has turned it into a science and is likely turning a small, but steady profit out of it, but for the most part, that market is disconnected with the sort of indy-developer style game that you’re referring to.

[quote=“Bluefoot”]

, Chemtrails, Vaccines, etc etc), are blessings in disguise.

XD[/quote]

Fluoride is an acute toxin with a rating slightly higher than that of lead.

Vaccines contain both Mercury (a highly toxic poison) and Aspartame (a neurological toxin which breaks down into fermaldihyde and diketopiperazine during metabolization.) Vaccines are the leading cause of Autism, among many other disorders.

So, yes, you are being deliberately poisoned by your own government through the food and water supply. If you truly want to know what the agenda behind it all is, it’s proudly on display under everyone’s nose in Georgia - I am refering to the Georgia Guidestones which read:

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.

Of course, we’ll just leave out the fact that mercury has not been in use as a preservative in vaccines for several years now, having been phased out, and Eli Lilly (the company responsible for the compound: thiomersal, (C9H9HgNaO2S)) was being sued by thousands of people over it.

But of course! It’s a conspiracy theory!

Oh, let’s not forget that this compound has been around since 1930 and we can see how much this compound has slowed the population’s growth!