Patent Lawsuits

Immersion Vs. Sony

Dual Shock lawsuit

Nintendo Vs. Interlink

Wii Controller Design Lawsuit

Apple Vs. Cisco Systems

iPhone or … iPhone?

Do these companies have lawyers / departments to CHECK these things before they go into the final stages of production?

Do they hope that any similarities will just slip under the radar?

Are the plaintiffs (sue-ers) in each case just looking to “cash in”?

Or are the defendants (sue-ees) just confident that they’ll win in court if it ever makes it that far?

I would say it depends, as each case is different. In the first Sony case for example, I think Sony simply thought they could win in court, while in the case of Nintendo, I think Interlink hope to make a quick buck.

I read that Apple was actually in active negotiations with Cisco when they announced the iPhone, which seems like a stupid move.

As for Nintendo, I’m not sure. You can patent specific implementations of ideas, but you cannot patent the idea itself. I’m sure you’d need to talk to an engineer to determine whether or not Nintendo infringed on any implementation patents, but considering that the N64 controller had a trigger button, it doesn’t seem like it.

[quote=“Abadd”]

As for Nintendo, I’m not sure. You can patent specific implementations of ideas, but you cannot patent the idea itself. I’m sure you’d need to talk to an engineer to determine whether or not Nintendo infringed on any implementation patents, but considering that the N64 controller had a trigger button, it doesn’t seem like it.[/quote]

I wouldn’t rule anything out these days , I mean the Master System , Amgia used the 8 pin controller ports, didn’t stop Atari suing SEGA for 40 million inthe Mega Drive days .

These days its even worse , with endless law suites and so called patent infringements (it makes me sick) . Though I find it hard to believe NCl have any case to answer , not when triggers have been used in Light Gun for years, and on controllers like the N64

I heard companies are being sued for having buttons on any consoles they’ve created due to the button being patented by Godfrey Smithers back in 1956.

I hear that you’re suing Hormel Foods Corporation.

They deserve it

didn’t the sega saturns NiGHTS pad trigger buttons come out before the N64’s?

The Nights pad, and the game itself, were very much a response to the N64, so no. Mario 64 was getting so much attention and praise, well in advance of their launch, that both Sega and Sony scrambled to get their analogue controllers out. NiGHTS was expressly a showcase for both the pad, and the new Saturn graphics libraries.

Where do the NiGHTS or N64 pads’ trigger buttons come into this topic - is it because they’re on the rear of the pad (in the N64’s case, Z)?

I did read somewhere that the Saturn’s 3D pad’s triggers were analogue . . . I don’t see how that would work, though.

They are analogue and the same as the Dreamcast’s. Think of racing games as an example where they resemble gas/break pedals, that should be enough to see how they work.

Cool! Thanks for the info. What games support this? I have to try it out now. :anjou_happy:

I think that Sega racer that was supposed to be better than Sega Rally but in the end was rather bad (but still decently enjoyable I guess) because of bad frame rates supported it… I forget its name atm…

Edit: Sega Touring Cars I think.