Panzer Dragoon Tactics

Bout last comment:
It shouldn’t let you adjust height after moving, you should be able to do any action in any order like in FFT. I hate it when that kind of games only lets me for example attack after I do move function, why shouldn’t I be able to attack first and move after? Same deal for this.

Bout the whole idea:
That sounds like a cool addition but don’t you think it would be very hard to judge height with the kind of camera angles required for this kind of game? Wouldn’t be very fun if you had to verify each unit’s height by highlighting it to make sure it’s where it seems to be before making your move :

edited some lame mistakes but meh, it was after 3am lol…

Depends. If the game was fully 3D then you could rotate the camera around the ships to get a view that made the placement of the ships understandable. Also, there could be somewhere on the screen that said what axis your ship was on, like 56x34x15 (width by height by depth). I’m sure that some kind of system could be developed to get around the problem.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]bout last comment:
It shouldn’t let you adjust height after moving, you should be able to do any action in any order like in FFT. I hate it when that kind of games only lets me for example attack after I do move function, why shouldn’t I be able to move first and attack after? Sane deal for this
Bout the whole idea:
That sounds like a cool addition but don’t you think it would be very hard to judge height with the kind of camera angles required for this kind of game? Wouldn’t be very fun if you had to verify each unit’s height by highlighting it to make sure it’s where it seems to be before making your move :[/quote]

Thats a very good point. I too hate games in which you have to move first, then attack. Thats really lame.

Yeah solo but with a lot of ships a fair bit of distance from each other you’d have to zoom pan and rotate a lot to see height of all. Would be just as annoying as highlighting them to see no?
Perhaps it could be with icons…
Like you press one button and “height” icons appear on all units in the map
Two arrows below the unit pointing upwards and and one above the unit pointing downwards to show it’s at the “middle” level, three icons below to show it’s at “high” level, three arrows above it to show it’s at “low” level…
That could work, no?

Ah well perhaps they could just have a default height for each flying unit.

Like Starcraft does.

If you look at the Panzer games, the battlefield is only two-dimensional most of the times.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Or u could easily be controlling the empire’s or meccania’s armies :slight_smile:
And having no dragon wouldn’t suck at all because the world itself is very interesting including everything in it like the different factions etc. Surely u dont think the whole world is only comprised (sp) of the ppl that you have met with your dragon. And surely those ppl would be there be4 they met with the dragon as well. Wouldnt their lives be interesting to you either way?[/quote]

Exactly, this is why SK and I will start a Panzer BF:1942 Mod wich will be (as always) r0X0r.

Oh no, he’s serious. =)

Don’t forget that “rocket lanucher” that Edge uses at the beggining of Saga the standard dragon gun and those bow-like weapons used in the Zwei intro. :stuck_out_tongue:

Somebody in here who knows everything about BF1942 and willing to help flattening this learning curve? :wink:

[quote=“lordcraymen”]

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Or u could easily be controlling the empire’s or meccania’s armies :slight_smile:
And having no dragon wouldn’t suck at all because the world itself is very interesting including everything in it like the different factions etc. Surely u dont think the whole world is only comprised (sp) of the ppl that you have met with your dragon. And surely those ppl would be there be4 they met with the dragon as well. Wouldnt their lives be interesting to you either way?[/quote]

Exactly, this is why SK and I will start a Panzer BF:1942 Mod wich will be (as always) r0X0r.[/quote]

You know. You better not be lying. Otherwise all my dreams have been crushed. The prospect of a BF 1942 Mod sounds even better to me then a new panzer game at the moment.

Battlefield rules.

Why dont ya wait for the Half Life 2 SDK instead? It will be easier maybe since it uses C++ rather than a new funky scripting language like most other games. Just a suggestion, the SDK should be out soon, you could just skim through it when it is and decide if ya can work on it efficiently or continue with BF1942 or another engine (maybe even UT2k4) You could always create art until that point since all those games would use around the same polycount on things. Well perhaps lower poly for BF1942.

I’m sure u can find tutorials for BF1942 modding online, it doesn’t have a half bad community from what I hear. If you pull this off you’ll make me have to get the game heh :stuck_out_tongue: good luck ^^

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]
I’m sure u can find tutorials for BF1942 modding online, it doesn’t have a half bad community from what I hear. If you pull this off you’ll make me have to get the game heh :stuck_out_tongue: good luck ^^[/quote]

You should have the game already :slight_smile: The online multiplayer aspect really is great. The desert combat mod truly is top notch. DICE is teaming up with the makers of the DC mod, Trauma Studios, to develop an entirely new game. I can’t wait!

Sounds awesome, but like Alex says, maybe wait for Half-Life 2?

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]

Sounds awesome, but like Alex says, maybe wait for Half-Life 2?[/quote]

Shhhh. HL2 doesn’t support 64 players.

Lord Craymen and Senor Kaffee will decide what they think suits the Panzer world best, I guess, and I trust their judgement on the matter. It sounds like a promising idea though… I can’t wait to see what they can pull off.

Actually I think they will just choose that which they prefer.You make them sound like they are beeing payed to so it :stuck_out_tongue:

No no, that wasn’t what I was implying at all :slight_smile: We were just discussing the alternative.

Eh? I don’t know what your sources are but the last official word on HL2 was that it would likely support 32 players for HL2 itself but that this time around the player limit wouldn’t be hard coded (like it was in Half Life 1) so modders could up (or even lower, heh) the limit to whatever they feel their mod would work best with.

And yes I’m just discussing the alternatives as well… It’s obviously their mod, their time, their work, their choice duh, heh

actually my C++ skills are extemely limited, Sk has next to none.

and the scripting language is not so funky. also BF uses 3ds max as development platform, so we can create 3d assests and easily reuse them.

do you know a good freeware AI engine that could be coupled with the Irrlicht engine? that would really rock.