New Sonic game: Sonic Generations

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Yes you were given more or less complete 360 degree movement and was able to backwards (I know where you’re coming frm ), but that was then limited in zone like Windy Valley and Speed Highway and really limited in all of Sonic levels in Sonic Adv II (so it wasn’t just an issue of the newer games) .

There are sections in Colors and Unleashed where you’re given much more greater player control and far movement and I would expect the same is true of Generations , or are we to base our views on a complete game, just on a 3 min demo ?[/quote]

It’s not so much the lack of going backwards that bothers me (although that does matter too), but the actual control over Sonic is more limited in the newer games. For example, in Emerald Coast I could run around on the beach at the start, run under the ramps, and the camera would be less likely to try to divert Sonic back on the correct course. The controls were less rigid too. This isn’t a level design problem, but a problem with Sonic’s controls.

For this, I don’t need to play the complete game, since the controls presumably don’t change later in the game. I have played the demo of Generations a number of times, but the Modern Sonic stages just don’t sit well with me for this reason.

Again, I fully agree with you that Sonic Adventure didn’t get everything right, and that parts of it were basically automated too, but it got more right in this respect that the newer Sonic games. I would like to see a return to the emphasis on control rather on speed. That’s what made the classic Sonic games so great.

Haha. Well, you got your wish.

Really ?. That’s why Sonic is still a multi-million selling franchise, when even Unleashed was able to shift and sell well over a million copies , and Sonic Vs Mario shits over 8 million .

Hardly what anyone could call destroying the brand

Well after years and years of massive losses somthing had to give and change . That isn’t to say that SEGA doesn’t spend millions on R&D and that the likes of Sonic, Yakuza, Binary domain , PSO II aren’t massive productions in terms on man power and money sent on them

A problem for SEGA since the death of the Mega Drive and well EA buying the sole rights to NFL .

It’s not a fanboy at all. I’m far from happy with the current SEGA, that doesn’t change the fact that Sonic Color’s, Virtual Tennis IV, Yakuza, Val were quality productions, and PSO is now much improved

I know, but on the next stage Wind Valley that control of Sonic was far more limited due to the design of the stage , and that was followed with Sonic Adv II - Which I’m sure helped to make the GFX so good .

If you were to play a demo of Windy City on the DC, they would be coming to much the same conclusion tbh that the is very much like an roller coaster

I think that was more thanks to simply level design, the one button control (which meant kids and adults could play the game) and style of the early games and speed and GFX on offer.

In terms of control and pin point platform jumping Mario IV was a much better game

If it wasn’t for Japan and Sonic, Sega would basically be another Atari now; a has-been in other words.

Making terrible games destroys your brand. You can’t deny it. The fact that Sonic survived is a testament to its brand recognition but it’s just not up there with what it once was, and for a reason.

I’m glad they focused on turning things around and playing on strengths, but there’s no reason for blind devotion anymore.

If a game is good, you buy it. If it’s not, you don’t. It’s that simple regardless of whoever makes it. The end. If they want your money, they have to earn it, otherwise games won’t have the investment they would otherwise receive without a bunch of idiots willing to buy anything.

Hardly… looking over the Arcade side which I’m sure still makes money for SEGA even inthe West. SEGA has a number of titles that sell ok ones that may not be developed by SEGA but are published by SEGA and sold in decent enough numbers Then SEGA has the likes of Football Manager , Total War and a quite decent mobile and digital sector bringing in the money.

So no, SEGA hardly Atari and it’s not just about Sonic.

What happened to Sonic is just what happened to the likes of Tomb Raider , Fifa , Pro Evo and a host of other IP that were milked to death and had moments where you thought that was the end of the brand, like with Tomb Raider SEGA is starting to pick up the Sonic brand with quality productions and a true focus on giving people what they want

Sorry that is utter rubbish,there are list of pretty amazing games that have not only reviewed well but be loved by all that played them that didn’t sell well at all be that JSRF, ICO, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Beyond Good & Evil, Valkyria Chronicles and a whole host of AAA games from all generations in different genere’s on different platforms that didn’t sell and then there’s games which were really pee poor and sold well at retail like how on earth did the pants that was Superman 64 or Crusin USA sell in such high numbers, same for Perfect Dark Zero

So sorry it is not that simple

It is that simple because that is how business works. They invest what they perceive they need to invest, which is as little as possible.

Buying garbage only slows the evolution of gaming. Ensure perfection by not tolerating anything that isn’t quality. Then those multi-billion dollar publishers won’t be able to afford to slack at all, if we DEMAND quality only.

Stop being a fanboy. It blinds you.

Tomb Raider Legend was awesome. Underworld was too long and not movie-like like Legend was and faltered as a result. The new one doesn’t look that good to me. Legend was perfect, and you know what? It was much different than the original games. It evolved to be both entertaining and challenging. I wish I’d not bought Underworld tbh. It was ok, but not as good from a non-hardcore point of view.

This is min investment for max return, and nothing else. Because there is such a huge amount of money involved, so it’s understandable.

Sega is dead compared to what it was. And your mentality is the reason why garbage will get made in the first place. Business does not care unless it has to care to make money.

Now if Sega were strict about quality, then they’d have a soul. I’ve not really seen it unless they had to be still. And they will have to be with Sonic now.

I have to disagree, Legend was the WORST Tomb Raider i ever played. To me Aniversary and Underworld were much more similar to the original ones.

However the storyline sucked big time, i didn?t really like the trilogy plot.

I think the new Tomb Raider has the potential to bring the games back to what they were, huge levels, lots of exploration, non-linear gameplay ( or MUCH less linear than Legend at least), great puzzles.

And Team Andromeda has a point, beeing high quality game doesn?t mean selling a lot, there are many great games out there (Orta, Valkyria Chronicles, for exemple) who didn?t sell that well, although they were great quality.

The fact is, like i already said, todays gamers just want guns and shooting and CoD, and the industry goes after that to make money, it doesn?t matter for exemple that Alice Madness Returns is one of the best most creative games ever made, it will still not sell as well as CoD or Halo.

The sales are what matter, and Legend got the balance right even though Underworld sold as well. Underworld was too long and too lonely.

All I will argue is, games are going to evolve to reach the market, and that market isn’t mainly us. It was still a good game though for what it was. I can overall say that their production values were good when serious effort went into them instead or riding on the brand name.

My point is, supporting garbage only leads to more until someone has to wake up when it fails. But people want to support garbage out of blind devotion. I don’t understand it when it’s just business. Support quality only. Screw the rest, regardless of who makes it.

Quality may not sell, but it is one of the ingredients of success. You have to look at the whole recipe for it if it fails to succeed.

Why justify garbage ever? Don’t feel sorry for multi-billion dollar businesses. They don’t usually care about us. They care about demand, and that’s it.

Sega trolls their previous game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJiwn0n4II)

[size=59]It’s fake, but it’s still funny.[/size]

Lol. What are your thoughts on the Sonic Generations demo, Parn?

Duke don’t be silly, I’m not talking of Legend at all and you must know that. I’n talking of The Angel of Darkness which killed the developer and almost killed the brand and like Sonic 06 was unfinished had frame rate issues and piss poor controls (though there was the basics of decent game there if not for all the said issues) but since then the brand been built back up and the same is happing with Sonic.

The Video game Business is there to make money, what on earth is your problem with that I do not know , it always has been the case and no doubt always will be . You don’t think CSK too over SEGA with out the aim of making money do you ?

That doesn’t make much sense. Today’s productions are huge multi million pounds massive team affairs - hardly what anyone would call min investment at all and a huge risk to the corp for each Big Budget game , more so if its a new IP.
I’m betting SEGA is spending millions on making Binary Domain and there’s not guarantee they’ll make that money back

I think I have made that point before . That isn’t to say SEGA don’t make a quality production now and again not that you would know Duke because by your own admission you don’t play them anymore

Such a silly point. I can tell you know that no company sets out to make a bad game on purpose , or doesn’t have quality control , they all do . Sometimes it doesn’t happen due to games being rushed out to make a street date, or the producers not being up to the Job

Have you played Sonic Colours > That is a huge step up in quality and giving fans what they want (just playing as Sonic) Also PSO on the PSP is brilliant (not played the DS version but gather it’s good) and the new PSO II looks awesome and it’s only in Alpha stage , Sakai San really has got the series back on track .

No Duke you are just on this big downer and silly rant on Capitalism . I wouldn’t say to much, but it’s irony at it’s peak when you sit there posting on the PC using the Internet ( enjoying everything the Capitalism society has given us ) being allowed to say what you want freely, talking about videogames a industry built on and funded by Capitalism (you couldn’t make it up)

You seriously think People in North Korea, China, Cuba have it better than us ??? . I think you’re living in a different planet and different world if you think that’s the case, but by all means post back on your branned PC from your branded ISP provider :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I found Legend to be brilliant and Underworld to be quite fantastic and looked down too many. In almost every way Anniversary was worst that the classic it was meant to remake imo, but it was ok

[quote=“Windrider”]

The fact is, like i already said, todays gamers just want guns and shooting and CoD, and the industry goes after that to make money, it doesn?t matter for exemple that Alice Madness Returns is one of the best most creative games ever made, it will still not sell as well as CoD or Halo.[/quote]

Not quite FIFA, GTA, FABLE Madden, Assassin’s Creed, The Elder Scrolls , Red Dead Mass Effect, God Of war III, Gear Of Wars aren’t your HALO or COD 1st person shooters.
Yes there’s been a shift to a more real world setting rather than a fantasy setting , but its not all FPS’s and the point about Guns is just a bit moot
Some of the most raved about SEGA games had guns in them like you Gunstar heroes , Virtual Cop or GunBlade, House of the Dead in the Arcades , hell even Space Channel 5 , PSO had guns in them, but they were masked with a fantasy setting

It work both ways Singularity have many quite new and unique ideas and is a brilliant game in it’s own right, but failed to sell , even though its a FPS

You see this is my point. It only exists to make money, so make it earn it by not buying garbage. Make it work for your money to force more investment. I’m not going to be blindly loyal to an absence of quality ever, regardless of the maker.

If it’s not the type of game you want, again, don’t support it. Supply and demand is all business knows. And all it ever will.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]That doesn’t make much sense. Today’s productions are huge multi million pounds massive team affairs - hardly what anyone would call min investment at all and a huge risk to the corp for each Big Budget game , more so if its a new IP.
I’m betting SEGA is spending millions on making Binary Domain and there’s not guarantee they’ll make that money back [/quote]

It’s always as little as necessary when it comes to cutting costs. You can see cost cutting in almost any game (let’s take the unfinished KOTOR 2 as the perfect example). That’s business. Thankfully there is a market for quality and some ideas find a reliable market.

Answer this: why is Sega a third rated publisher that most gamers hardly even hear of anymore? It’s a mediocre shadow of itself now with barely any recognition outside Japan. You could associate Nintendo with quality, and EA with sports games, or with Blizzard never releasing a game until it is finished, but you’d recognize them as SOMETHING. Sega just isn’t up there. It doesn’t reach the same league of audience, and not because it can’t.

Games being rushed out is not healthy either. And if a game can sell on the brand alone or sell no matter what, of course it may not get serious production values, because anyone will buy it anyway. You like buying your latest Star Wars trilogy with an extra line of added previously cut speech every year?

I hope they are good and Sega pours their heart and soul into them to be associated with quality.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]No Duke you are just on this big downer and silly rant on Capitalism . I wouldn’t say to much, but it’s irony at it’s peak when you sit there posting on the PC using the Internet ( enjoying everything the Capitalism society has given us ) being allowed to say what you want freely, talking about videogames a industry built on and funded by Capitalism (you couldn’t make it up)

You seriously think People in North Korea, China, Cuba have it better than us ??? . I think you’re living in a different planet and different world if you think that’s the case, but by all means post back on your branned PC from your branded ISP provider :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

It’s not a perfect system by any means. It’s not that I am against capitalism. I just see how it can be detrimental because in the end, it’s always about maximizing profits no matter how. It can be unconscionable.

So remind me again how Superman 64 sold so well, how Crusin USA sold so well, and how gems like Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon Saga sold like crap ?

No Duke, rubbish games sometimes sell in Huge numbers even Sonic 06 .

What ? I see little or no costing cutting in Mass Effect, Sonic Unleashed, Uncharted, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil 5 , COD IV and god knows how many productions this gen . All I see is massive teams and money lavished on the said productions.

So again I don’t agree with you

But it isn’t a 3rd rate publisher at all . SEGA can boast impressive software sales across the board, one of the few games companies to post a profit last year and a company with a strong line of In-House and published games for all consoles and digital downloads

Now are you really being serious ? Never played any of the Need For Speed games then ? I can tell you not only did EA almost kill the brand , but some of the NFS games were of the quality and in the same unfinished state to Sonic 06 Never played The Lord of the Rings: Conquest, The Saboteur, Superman Returns by EA then ?. EA not so long ago had a terrible rep for making crap and killing once great studios and was posting billions in losses.

Most corps will have up’s and downs

Don’t come it Duke on that one

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]So remind me again how Superman 64 sold so well, how Crusin USA sold so well, and how gems like Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon Saga sold like crap ?

No Duke, rubbish games sometimes sell in Huge numbers even Sonic 06 .[/quote]

Now you are justifying the existence of garbage when you should have a zero tolerance of it as well.

Yes, good games have failed. That does not mean that quality doesn’t sell. It’s an important ingredient in the success of true success.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]What ? I see little or no costing cutting in Mass Effect, Sonic Unleashed, Uncharted, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil 5 , COD IV and god knows how many productions this gen . All I see is massive teams and money lavished on the said productions.

So again I don’t agree with you [/quote]

Quality is the way it should be. But costs will be cut unless quality is DEMANDED and sells. Obviously, those games have to meet certain standards, but KOTOR2 etc didn’t because the publisher KNEW that people would buy a rushed product anyway.

If we don’t accept that, then it won’t be rushed.

I don’t see how you can disagree with that.

Sega is nothing compared to the other publisher’s reputation outside Japan when Sega should be the equivalent of Activision. They focused on Japan and that is fair enough, but don’t claim that Sega is relevant anymore, because Sega isn’t.

I have no love for EA, but they are still relevant, especially to casual gamers where brand recognition is everything. EA basically buys talent, sucks them dry, then repeats the process.

That’s capitalism for you.

No I’m listing poor games which sold well. So no the point of all quality and good games sell isn’t true at all.

It also means that crap doesn’t sell too . I could post a huge list of quality games that never sold well, and crap that sold in great numbers

Not always - When making the likes of Mass Effect they was no sure bet it would sell it was a risk and a Big Money risk, like it was when making the likes of Uncharted ,Lost Planet, Gears of war and any other new High Budget IP

Sort of true it also helps when you have a Big License like Star Wars on the box too . Speaking of which the last few Star Wars films show, that even shit films can make billions.

You’e being very silly . SEGA should be measured with other Japanese corps like Capcom, Konami and Namco and on those terms SEGA is doing ok and as a decent number of selling games and strong line up of games for the next few months

What are you basing that on , actual facts or because SEGA doesn’t make the games you or I like to play anymore ? . Well I’m sorry Duke there is no market for the likes of Panzer Dragoon any more and there was never a market for the likes of JSRF.

So Its SEGA and it does very well out of the casual games .

I do love the way you’re brush over the terrible Rep EA had just a few years ago (now replaced by Activsion). How both EA and Activsion have been just as guilty as SEGA for releasing sub bar games (never played Spideman or Tony Hawks Ride )aor milking IP too much . Activision after all have killed the Guitar hero and Tony Hawks brand

But you want SEGA to be more like Activision - Your double standards and hypocrisy on this matter is quite frankly unbelievable

Those poorly made games sold because people bought them.

See?

No one would be playing the best games right now if they were bugged to hell etc etc. Quality has to be there to succeed. Just because a quality game doesn’t sell at all, doesn’t mean people have every right to sell garbage. It means that something else was absent. Like maybe it wasn’t what people wanted, or maybe no one knew it existed, or maybe it is too niche.

Giving the market what it wants + quality = sales.

Because people bought them. PEOPLE BOUGHT THEM. If you aren’t willing to buy garbage, then no one will sell you garbage.

Those games had markets and competition to keep them fighting fit, especially Gears which had the 360 almost all to itself at the time and was hyped up especially by people who wanted competition. The 360 and PS3 have competed for the benefit of gamers.

Yeah, because people are willing to buy anything with the SW brand. But the people themselves are the ones buying. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Sega is no longer relevant in the games industry outside Japan.

Yeah that’s a shame, but that doesn’t give Sega the greenlight to make garbage. They can still have quality control and most importantly of all, an identity. What is Sega known for other than the has-been Sonic in the mainstream?

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]I do love the way you’re brush over the terrible Rep EA had just a few years ago (now replaced by Activsion). How both EA and Activsion have been just as guilty as SEGA for releasing sub bar games (never played Spideman or Tony Hawks Ride )aor milking IP too much . Activision after all have killed the Guitar hero and Tony Hawks brand

But you want SEGA to be more like Activision - Your double standards and hypocrisy on this matter is quite frankly unbelievable[/quote]

I don’t excuse bad games from anyone, but I think that Activision have more to their name than Sega do. More that has worked at least.

I am not a fan of EA like I said, but at least EA is relevant to steer the course of gaming. Where’s Sega? Nowhere. EA is very good at making money. That’s its only real vision. But when you want to be the best at selling entertainment, you have to give people what they want.

Blizzard never releasing a game until and unless it’s finished is vision.

Sega is just irrelevant. I hate to say it, but it’s too true to ignore.

I messed with it a little bit, and Sonic still felt off compared to the Genesis counterparts. But it’s the closest they’ve gotten in years. I’m just sitting back and waiting to see what people think of the game overall and will make a decision from there.

That’s how I feel about the classic Sonic stages as well. The controls aren’t perfect, but they are still a significant improvement over Sonic 4.

Played the demo. Controls and camera were the most disappointing things for me. And the initial sense of linearity of the levels was a bit of a put off too, though I admit I haven’t explored GREATLY.

Yeah people buy poor games, not always AAA games or games that are well reviews lets say.

No. Fable II and III are some of the best selling games of this gen and they’re buggy as hell, so is F1 2010 and its sequel and they’re sold millions.

It’s subjective one person best film or fav games is another person worst nightmare

No it was early in the console life in a genre that didn’t enjoy that much success on a MS console - It was a Huge risk to all

Yes so this notion that only quality sells is wrong , just my point.

SEGA biggest market for games sales isn’t Japan , but the West Duke.

Looking over Football Manager, Total War, Moneyball, PSO, Yakuza . I’ll simply ask other than COD what is known for really , other than Pro Evo or Metal Gear what is Konami known for to the main stream.
Just because ‘you’ don’t like or deem the games worthy enough, doesn’t mean that don’t sell, or the corps in question are selling a lot of games.

You’ve never played Tony Hawk: Ride?. That game reviewed just as bad as Sonic 06 in most cases

EA has been posting billions in losses the last couple of years . Get your facts straight .