New Sonic game: Sonic Generations

Your money.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Didn’t matter though the early launch worked a treat for MS and got it more market share.
The trouble for all console launches is developers are working on unfinished hardware and tools.[/quote]

Excuses. It could have been a perfect port. It was rushed knowing it would probably sell anyway.

Too little too late by then. The launch hurt the Saturn’s image too much by then. It gave its rivals the ammunition they needed to show off how the PS could simply do things smoother and flashier.

In fact, the whole Saturn console could have been delayed or remade. Sega was in too much of a hurry when they had a good marketshare in the states.

You can argue this or that but ultimately it could have been better and you cannot deny that.

The DC game was a great port. Unlike the Saturn games.

Lol. It was a rushed poor imitation of the arcade game. You are making excuses when even you know it could have been better.

The Saturn could have done better. If you don’t believe that then I’ll make a better argument that the Saturn could have been better. Either way, the Saturn lost to the Playstation for a reason and making excuses for its downfall is the absolute last thing anyone needs. Success does not come by making excuses. You have to learn from your mistakes and profit from them to turn a failure into a success.

And yet it happened. Sony didn’t just release the PS2 with no press. They had a massive marketing machine behind it too which helped it reach people who assumed that a sequel to the world’s most successful console (the Playstation) would probably be just as successful. It doesn’t take a genius to see that.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Who on about gamers you’re quick enough to go on about the PS being easy to program for and having so called better 3D graphics as reason why it won, well the X-Box was much easier to work on and had 3D graphics that were way out in front , but developers still backed the PS2.
Why are developers even working on the PS3 it’s much harder to work on than the 360 after all. In the end Duke its got nothing to do with which machine is easier to work on, but all about Market share.[/quote]

Again, by the time the Xbox arrived the PS2 was already firmly entrenched. So much so that it was enough for gamers.

The PS3 PAID the price this time because Sony has had to face competition from the very start this time and has lost marketshare because of it.

It is still far more successful than the Xbox in terms of consoles sold. Sony has had to compete a lot more this time.

You honestly DON’T BELIEVE that competition breeds better games?

Yes for crying out loud. You’ve just repeated something I told you already.

Are you just debating for the sake of winning an argument and just picking holes in everything that is said to have the last word?

LOL. Casual gamers aren’t the majority of gamers? You honestly believe that? They tend to buy big brand games too you know which have been diluted to make themselves more accessible to them. Casual means people who don’t commit a lot of time. It doesn’t necessarily mean mentally challenged.

Yeah EA supports winners and goes where it can make a profit. So?

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Yeah SEGA fault for wanting to make a rival to Madden . And yes losing Camelot was a mistake and should have been handled better but that happens in the industry and as for cutting the Saturn lose too early the Saturn was supported by SEGA Japan for as long or longer than MS supported the X-Box or NCL with the Cube (4 years repetitively)
Again your double standards on such issues is getting a bit much now.[/quote]

EA didn’t support the DC. So what? You expect EA to support Sega after the Saturn? Maybe if the DC had lived longer and maintained 10 million users, then you may have seen support from EA.

You can’t blame EA for not wanting to support a failure.

No it is not. The DC performed miles better outside Japan thanks to games that actually grabbed their audience.

If you mean that Killzone 2 movie then sure, but a movie is all it was. Gears et al forced Sony to compete more. But the 360 showed that it was here to stay and was a better console despite Sony releasing a bit later.

Why don’t you just look at the consoles sold for each? The PS3 is not the PS2.

Yes and having the games that can compete right at the start as well.

The PS version got the extra missions.

Nintendo honed in on a DIFFERENT market and stayed profitable.

Compared to the Saturn it did a hell of a lot better, and the U.S. is a vital not to mention the most demanding market. The DC didn’t have the time it needed to grow but it took off considerably better than the Saturn.

Are you really going to argue that the Saturn was better than the DC? Really?

It was a late and imperfect port which the Saturn got while the PS got the even better sequel. RE2 is considered one of the best games in the whole series but it was a PS exclusive for that generation (I don’t count the Ultra 64 since that was between the generations).

Good job? Now Veronica was awesome and competitive (and better than the later PS2 version graphically), and we would have got RE4 and/or Devil May Cry on the DC if Sega hadn’t pulled the plug.

But that doesn’t bother you, right?

Blame Sega for thinking that Japan is the center of the universe, otherwise you would have got RE4 for the DC.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]It was when used right as shown in some games - Its just a same developers didn’t put the time and effort in and just tried to run C on the Saturn. You at the PS3 its way more powerful than the 360 but in a lot of cases you’l never know it and a lot of 3rd parties took the easy route of trying to run 360 code on the machine
The Saturn should have been able to handle 3D transparent effects granted, but there Model 2 couldn’t either.[/quote]

The 360 was designed to be more competitive by being dev friendly. Like Sony was with the PS until it decided to try and force devs to waste time on the PS2 to keep all the games there by making it unprofitable to go multi-platform.

Screw Sony. They got what they deserved.

As for the Saturn, Sega could have made a better console you know.

Probably. The PS was still a better console in terms of being competitive.

You did buy Sonic 2006, right?

You can make AAA games that give a lot of people what they want, you know?

I can accept them being discontinued. What I cannot accept is Sega being so mediocre when we all know it could be so much more.

In the meantime, we’ll support great gaming instead regardless of who makes it.

Well seeing as the game sold over 3 million copies it’s not just my money and shows people will buy games unfinished and with bugs.

Excuses ? . Developers will be working on guess work for the start , given that hardly any of the final chipset of a console is finished and development of the console chipet is consistently changing right up until the last min as are it’s tool set.

Panzer Dragoon came out before Daytona USA duke and SEGA Rally was on its release the best selling CD game ever in the UK.

Only the PS didn’t do Cybersled smoother or flashier , but no-one goes on about that game

In fact you are wrong.
The Saturn didn’t launch until 6 years after the Mega Drive, the same life span that was for the Snes to the N64 the PS to the PS2. Where SEGA screwed up was with no Sonic for the system (untill it was too late and even then it wasn’t a true Sonic game and SEGA thinking it could development support and produce 2 32bit consoles at the same time as well as trying to take on NCL and SONY.

Unless you happend to like Model 2 AI and handling .

The Saturn version had a wealth of extra and bonus content and was in gameplay terms a perfect port . The Gfx engine was what let the game down and I’ll not make any excuse for that- but the game played better than the DC version due to it having the Arcade handling and AI .

Yes 32X in the West and Square going to Sony in Japan.

All thing you could say with the PS3, yet it’s outsold by the 360 and Wii .

Again the Wii and PS3 lauched a year after the 360, yet it never hurt the Wii.

Some would say there’s only 20 million working 360 :P. MS build a soild base with the X-Box and just built on that, but issues of being seen as boy’s console all about FPS and not selling well in Japan and mainland Europe still remain

[quote]
You honestly DON’T BELIEVE that competition breeds better games[/quote]

Not just better games, but better consoles

Casuals don’t buy the likes of COD, HALO, GTA 5, Uncharted 3, Assassin’s Creed Duke that gamers buying them and those games still make up the majority of the charts . Gamers go into the shops each week to buy games, causals don’t . If that was the case the Wii would have the best 3rd party support and best there is release schedule.

Thank you, it s nothing to do with consoles built to last and all about market share and control of your IP.

EA were never going to support the DC and now you’re changing your tune yet again. It had nothing to do with the Saturn at all, I bet EA will support the Wii U or the Vita despite PSP doing crap for EA.

No I wouldn’t just my point. All about Marketshare.

It did better in the USA duke and that’s why it gets more coverage - That doesn’t make it a better games console at all . Most Americans don’t give a toss about the Master System or the NEC PC-eng despite them being fine games consoles . Now for a games console it all about games and that is subjective - I enjoyed the Saturn range of games more than the DC, there again I enjoyed the SNES range over the Mega Drive.

I mean the actually game which eats into Gears on the Graphical front.

Subjective because in the Gfx front the PS3 is way on in front imo, and for the 1st year the 360 wasn’t really doing that great and was being outsold by the PS2 . It took a while to get going and we all knew the 360 was here to stay thanks the MS money

So that makes it better then because you get extra’s / I’ll try and remember that when playing RE on the Saturn.

Who’s making excuses now then ?

The point was the DC wasn’t mass Market and DC had plenty of time to grow but the market place and 3rd parties didnt give SEGA a chance .

Yes if we’re talking about games , if you’re talking of market share then no

I though it was a better version of the game myself.

Rather silly , did the DC get RE 4 which many consider to be the best RE game ever made ?
But that doesn’t bother you right ?

And we would have got RE 2 on the Saturn (which was announced) had the focus not shifted to the DC.

SEGA knew it had lost Japan very early in and was pinning all its hopes on the DC selling well in USA and Europe, sadly we had a baboon in charge of Europe at the time

being developer friendly means jack shit with out marketshare - Otherwise the DC and Cube would have been the supported consoles out there

Yeah millions in profit , the best selling console ever and the best 3rd party support for a console ever .

Yes when it come to 3D transparent effects and the piss poor early development tools granted.

If Square had gone to the Saturn in Japan it would have been the end of the PS in Japan (which for 2 years was being out sold by the Saturn) and if Fifa and Madden had gone to the DC, I think the DC would have done so much better in the West . It’s all if and but’s though

Yeah I did , but we all buy a dud game for time to time.

I consider O.TO.GI to be a brilliant action game, far better than DMC it sold like crap, Enslaved a perfect adv game and it sold poor, JSRF to be one of the best games ever made sold like crap, Rallisport II to be brilliant, Alan Wake ,Alien Resurrection to be utterly brilliant onthe PS, Beyond Good and Evil to be stunning and sold poor, Project Snowblind an great FPS, Singularity and original and top FPS , XIII another top FPS that didn’t sell
So you can give gamers what you think they want, make AAA games on some of the best selling systems and that doesn’t mean you get the sales at the end of the day

Oh I agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that poor sales are the main reason why we’ll not see a Saga II or Shenmue III and you can not blame SEGA for that, because that’s not being fair.

I read every post on these forums, but I tend to only skim over these quote wars. There are too many points flying around to keep track of a coherent argument (if there even is one).

It’s their money to waste.

Excuses still. It could have been a perfect port. If I have the choice between that and a better PC version, I’ll stick with the PC version any day.

Daytona was a terrible port that could have been better. You don’t want to admit it just for the sake of winning an argument.

The Saturn’s launch games were terrible except for PD which was already oldschool by that time.

PS = 100 million consoles sold.
Saturn = 8 mil or something?

The PS wins.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]In fact you are wrong.
The Saturn didn’t launch until 6 years after the Mega Drive, the same life span that was for the Snes to the N64 the PS to the PS2. Where SEGA screwed up was with no Sonic for the system (untill it was too late and even then it wasn’t a true Sonic game and SEGA thinking it could development support and produce 2 32bit consoles at the same time as well as trying to take on NCL and SONY. [/quote]

Excuses again. The N64 may have arrived late but it did considerably better than the Saturn because Nintendo hadn’t burned as many bridges.

The Saturn should have been better considering who was making it.

When the PS was so good, you can’t make excuses for Sega. It could have been done.

The joke of a Saturn port just didn’t have what it took to survive and thrive in the eyes of the mainstream.

Yes, the graphics were abysmal.

Because of real competition. We’ve been over this.

The Wii wasn’t trying to compete with either the 360 or PS3.

It’s still forced Sony to compete.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Casuals don’t buy the likes of COD, HALO, GTA 5, Uncharted 3, Assassin’s Creed Duke that gamers buying them and those games still make up the majority of the charts . Gamers go into the shops each week to buy games, causals don’t . If that was the case the Wii would have the best 3rd party support and best there is release schedule.
[/quote]

So you think that real hardcore gamers outnumber normal people. Ok. You must have a different definition of gamer.

Sega were losers. End of story really.

See we finally agree. DC > Saturn.

I have lost count of the inferior multi-platform games on the PS3.

The PS got the sequels as well. The Saturn couldn’t even handle RE2.

Nintendo aimed for a different market to stay profitable. That was a good move by them because Nintendo can’t really compete with the giants.

The DC wasn’t here for 5 whole years. It wasn’t even here for half that and yet its line up was stunning for the time. God only knows what else we would have seen.

I think you are under the impression that the U.S. wasn’t the most important market, which it was.

In the eyes of an average “gamer” all they’d seen is inferior graphics of an old game which has a new sequel on a more popular console.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]Rather silly , did the DC get RE 4 which many consider to be the best RE game ever made ?
But that doesn’t bother you right ? [/quote]

It would have got it if the DC had lived and especially if it took off more in Japan.

You mean an inferior port, while Capcom made RE3 for the PS. You never know.

It’s a good start to be competitive as the PS clearly showed.

Competition is good for gaming you see.

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]I consider O.TO.GI to be a brilliant action game, far better than DMC it sold like crap, Enslaved a perfect adv game and it sold poor, JSRF to be one of the best games ever made sold like crap, Rallisport II to be brilliant, Alan Wake ,Alien Resurrection to be utterly brilliant onthe PS, Beyond Good and Evil to be stunning and sold poor, Project Snowblind an great FPS, Singularity and original and top FPS , XIII another top FPS that didn’t sell
So you can give gamers what you think they want, make AAA games on some of the best selling systems and that doesn’t mean you get the sales at the end of the day [/quote]

Well you know if real gamers were a majority, those titles may have sold better. But the market is generally braindead and herded.

The Sega you knew is dead. You are defending a company that forgot about much of its past already. At least Nintendo adapted. Sega did much better with the DC as far as competing with the status quo goes.

I think I have decided to just go where the non gamers aren’t. Fanboys make me lose all faith in humanity because they take an identity from a brand that they think can do no wrong. It’s frustrating.

[quote=“Solo”]

I read every post on these forums, but I tend to only skim over these quote wars. There are too many points flying around to keep track of a coherent argument (if there even is one).[/quote]

Yeah you know what. I’ll stop right here.

It was a completely pointless debate that makes me wish I’d never even commented.

If someone wishes to discuss the actual game, feel free. I am done debating.

It not a waste if you happen to like and enjoy the product.

Sorry Model 2 was a world away from the Saturn, so a perfect port was not a goer at.

The game engine could have been better , the game it’s self was brilliant a perfect port in gameplay, brilliant new music and extra’s

Well PD wasn’t a launch title and 3D shooters were still decent sellers in those days and VF was a brilliant launch title. I will agree with western Saturn launch was terrible thanks to SEGA West going all for the 32X.

[quote]PS = 100 million consoles sold.
Saturn = 8 mil or something[/quote]

So that’s it then lets go just the sales ?. Go by that the DC was a total waste of space and a rubbish console.

Not excuses just the facts that the Saturn launched 6 years after the Mega Drive the same 6 years it took SONY to make a sequel to PS and NCL to the Snes.

We have but you’re not being fair.

Don’t give me that cop out.

No that is not the point I’m making at all . A gamer goes into the shops and buy games each a casual does not - they buy the system and a few games each year , but they do not buy games each week like a gamer does.
That is reflected in the charts- Please don’t make out that Uncharted, Tomb Raider, GTA, COD, Medal Of Honor, Fable, GT, Gears Of War, Elder Scrolls, Dirt, F1,Tom" Clancy, Assassin’s Creed, FIFA ECT are games for the casuals . These are games and just because they happen to sell in Huge numbers does not make them casual games

Not say otherwise, but again that’s a different point.

Shouldn’t that be PS2>PS>N64>DC.

Sigh… For one, like with the Saturn, lots of developers at the start of the PS3 just tried to run another consoles code and that showed in the poor ports . That never chances the fact that when used right the PS3 is doing stuff way beyond the 360 (just Play Killzone III and GOD Of War III).

Well the DC didn’t get a sequel to CV so that must mean its crap too. And the Saturn could handle RE 2 the port was dropped due to market issues.

More excuses again . NCL couldn’t take on a giant but SEGA could ? I love your double standards Duke and I’ll try and remind you that even in the 8 and 16 bit days NCL was a GIANT compared to SEGA with 6 billion more in the bank.

It had 2 years and if your console fails to make it then, it’s never going to make it

It’s always been the most important really, more so than ever now. That’s a different to point to which console has the better games though.

old I thought C&C was at its hight at time of the port and I think most people expected PC ports to suffer in the downgrade to consoles even now . Battle Field III looks better on PC, not that I think 360/PS3 expected anything less and I don’t think 360 users cared at all that Orange Box was a port of a Older PC game, do you ?

The exact same arguments one could say with the Saturn and RE2.

And one could just say the DC version of RE4 would have been inferior given it couldn’t handle the polygons, lighting effects ect of the PS2 or Cube.

And as the PS2 showed it means jack shit more so as the PS2 was one of the hardest consoles to developer on.

I know, I’m in favour of the Capitalist system see,. So why you have an issue with it, I do not know . To do well in the Capitalist system would must be the strongest and make the best products.

The X-Box was a real gamers machine and that showed in the games to console ratio . It just that some games hit the mark better than others even if you make a AAA FPS.

Sigh … I said that in the Yakuza thread . The day of SEGA making the games it wanted too are over, now it got to make games it thinks or hopes will sell and want the market wants . Well that market showed there is no market for Saga or Shenmue never mind they’re old school (if we want to class PD as old school) . So why you expect SEGA to make sequels to these is beyond me, more so when you’re ok with EA dropping IP that doesn’t sell.

Now I too would rather talk about the game, more so as it actually good !

If anyone’s interested, you can now get the PC from Steam for around ? 10, but the discount only lasts a day:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71340/

Got this for Christmas. It’s actually really fun.

The classic Sonic stuff is pretty much what you’d expect. The re-imagining of the levels in 2.5D is quite spectacular though, it breathes a whole new life into what you hadn’t realised were rather aged levels.

The modern Sonic stuff is some of the best I’ve seen since Sonic Adventure 1. A lot of the stupid control issues have been fixed and you can actually build a good amount of speed up rather than having to be careful to avoid the drops.

I’ve not fought the first boss yet, but already there seems to be quite a lot of content crammed in. The challenges are pretty neat, I like the way they’ve created new architecture and re-used stuff from the main levels.

Impressed so far.

Someone gave Green Hill Zone a Christmas makeover. Very nice!

Zero Punctuation reviews Sonic Generations:
escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … enerations

“Controlling Sonic in 3D gameplay is like holding onto a bar of soap in the bath.”

Warning, contains spoilers about the final level.

[quote=“Solo”]Zero Punctuation reviews Sonic Generations:
escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … enerations

“Controlling Sonic in 3D gameplay is like holding onto a bar of soap in the bath.”

Warning, contains spoilers about the final level.[/quote]

I wonder if some people hate on Sonic just for sport or what? I mean seriously, 3D Sonic handles even better than on the Dreamcast era, i have never felt i was lacking control ( except for the 3D bosses, those were really bad).

Yahtzee’s videos are usually rants, but he’s quite good at pointing where games could be improved. I recall he didn’t like SA1 much either. I do agree though that 3D Sonic’s controls could be significantly improved (for reasons I’ve mentioned earlier).

Looks like you were wrong, Binary Domain is actually pretty good.

Lesson to be learn never judge a book by its cover