Microsoft's "Zune"

Interview with J Allard

What does everyone think of the Zune? For those who haven’t heard of it, Zune is Microsoft’s “iPod killer”, a new 30GB portable media player. What’s interesting about the device is that it will allow Zune owners to transfer songs to one another’s Zunes wirelessly.

One thing that troubles me about the Zune - and indeed, other portable music players - is the lack of compatibility with players from other brands.

What do you mean exactly?

Wouldn’t it be interesting (as in funny) if in say ten years MS is seen as primarily a consumer electronics brand?

Interesting, but I can’t see the wireless tune sharing working - legal downloaded music comes with a ton of limitations, especially regarding burning/copying, etc so I don’t see how music companies will take to the idea of MS actively encouraging that.

To me, it’s just another MP3 player; and as I only recently upgraded to my 60GB iPod I can’t see me looking for anything else for a long time.

[quote=“Kimimi”]Interesting, but I can’t see the wireless tune sharing working - legal downloaded music comes with a ton of limitations, especially regarding burning/copying, etc so I don’t see how music companies will take to the idea of MS actively encouraging that.

To me, it’s just another MP3 player; and as I only recently upgraded to my 60GB iPod I can’t see me looking for anything else for a long time.[/quote]

Well from what I’ve read anything shared wirelessly will be download onto the other play with heavy DRM. You can only play it 3 times or keep it up to 3 days, thats it. With that sort of limitation I can’t see it being much to concern the music companies as it will be too useless for many people to use.

The Zune won’t play songs that use Microsoft’s “PlaysForSure” DRM. So, if you download a song from one of the many legal music providers such as Napster, Yahoo! Music, or Microsoft’s own URGE that use PlaysForSure, that song won’t play on the Zune.

Likewise, music purchased over iTunes is completely incompatible with anything but the iPod.

The only way it would work is if M$ opens it all up and allows anyone with XP to download all thier tracks to it that they have onthe PC ect , for nothing and that the unit is cheaper .

I myself don’t see the point , Just get a Creative labs player with a nice big chunk of Gig or somthing