JGR trademark filed...new JGR sequel?!

"Is Sega dipping into the well of Dreamcast franchises again? That’s what we heard from friendlier folks at Comic-Con last week, specifically that the publisher was planning on bringing back one of its more beloved franchises, Jet Grind Radio. After outings on the Dreamcast and Xbox, we haven’t seen anything of the futuristic inline-skater since 2003’s Jet Set Radio for the Game Boy Advance.

We were overly excited to hear a rumor that Sega was planning on reintroducing the series, this time on the Wii.

Sure, that may conjure up less than appealing Wii Remote waggling during tagging and inline skate attachments, but we’d be thrilled to take whatever we can get. Just give us cel-shaded graphics, an awesome soundtrack and Wii MotionPlus support, Sega, and we’ll love you forever.

Sega’s recently filed trademark, dated July 24, 2008 and separate from the original, Dreamcast era trademark, certainly has us thinking that a Jet Grind Radio update is more likely.

In addition to the typical “video game software” goods and services applied for, the new trademark adds things like “downloadable game programs”, “game programs for use with mobile phones”, and “game programs for use with hand-held game machines.”

Hopefully that translates to a broader scope than just the Wii.

After all, Sega president Simon Jeffery did say that the iPhone, not the Wii or Xbox 360, was the new Dreamcast. "

kotaku.com/5031139/rumor-jet-gri … -to-return
boards2.sega.com/sega_board/view … hp?t=92080

This would be a dream come true for some Sega fans. We shall see.

I don’t see how it could be a dream come true being on a handheld. I don’t think the iphone has the interface required, the DS the power, and other mobile devices both. I guess it could be pretty nice on the PSP if they put some real effort since the Power Stone ports were competent. I’d prefer to see a new game on the Wii or another home console. Also, I think he just said the iphone is as powerful as the Dreamcast, that’s far from saying it’s the next Dreamcast so he’s been misquoted there unless I missed that.

The Wii would be the best place for a sequel no doubt if only because it falls into that niche of colourful gaming.

My money is on this just being some dumb collection of JSR related mini-games for iPhone with little-to-no relation to the actual main series. :anjou_sigh:

It doesn’t mean that the rumored seqel wll be on the iPhone or any portable device. The quote was just a reference to a SJ quote saying that the iPhone is as powerful as the Dreamcast, and since JGR was originally a DC game, I guess they just threw that in for, laughs, I guess?

I just do not understand why people always say the Wii is the natural home for JSR or most other SEGA games like Panzer ect .

The likes of JSR and Panzer have always been about cutting edge graphics using the most power on the platform available at the time . Why anyone would want to limit the fantastic designs of Ueda , on the Wii poor chipset I just do not know , I don’t think motion control would add anything for the game either , Colourful designs , motion controls never helped Okami on the Wii

I love to see Ueda unleashed and able to use his talent , and fully explore his ideas on next gen chip sets , and I want music blasting out in 5.1 . I don’t that man’s talent and imagination held back by the Wii and tacked on motion controls and graphics that wouldn’t trouble the X-Box .

That said JSRF was so good , I really can’t see how the Team could justify a sequel , I really can’t see how the Team could take the game forward as they nailed pretty much everything with JSRF, bar taking it online and having Massive multiplayer style gang warfair .

I hope SEGA make something along the likes of JSRF, That game was SEGA through and through , from the gameplay to the art and music , thats something a bit lacking from SEGA today . SEGA really need to make a game with that sort of vision , and a game that looks and sounds like a SEGA game . The last SEGA game I played that felt like that was Out Run 2006 sadly enough

Yeah I guess his designs were so limited by the Dreamcast eh? Jet Set Radio sure sucked ass, and it sucks more ass now, right? Face it, toon graphics have little to gain from next gen consoles (yeah Valkyria Whatever looks nice, not that technically able though, 3D is quite simple aside from the shading), a slightly updated Jet Set Radio engine would be sufficient, (though they could do much more with the Wii).

The original did have a better style than Jet Set Radio Future after all, despite the technical advancements incorporated into that. Yes, JSRF was a better game (for some) but that had little to do with the Xbox’s better specifications. A sequel on the Dreamcast, had it lived on, could have had just as good gameplay, with the original’s better style and an improvement or two, like less clipping with the toon shading, maybe better trees, etc.

And I know you would have loved it if it had happened instead of say things like “Bah, the Xbox is here, Sega should quit making the DC and just make Xbox games so we can have better graphics! Yeah man!” or whatever, had they won over the PS2 back then. All the Xbox fans would say things like that and you’d tell em how JSR2 is proof you don’t just need better specs to have beautiful games and how the Dreamcast rocks.

With such games, it’s always about style over specs. It’s why Panzer Dragoon Zwei is so beautiful even compared to the technically superior PlayStation’s best games. It’s style, effort, and, simply put ART, not technical ability or limitation. That’s also shown by the mixed opinion over Orta’s graphics, sure they were technically better but it’s not always all about that. They’ve always been more impressive by being put on the less powerful systems after all, because they bypass limitations with creativity and, again, art.

Back in the 32bit era, I didn’t see you complain about the Saturn sucking in 3D and how you’d prefer to see Panzer Dragoon and Nights on the PlayStation so that you could have true transparencies and more polygons and whatever else. You were a Sega fan so you loved the way they used the Saturn’s power to produce art. Now just because you’ve become a fan of other companies, and was never a fan of Nintendo, you suddenly think every decent game should be put on the more powerful consoles.

Heck, not every 360 game looks like Gears of War 2, do you claim that everything else sucks, and everything that’s been released already is shit because it doesn’t take full advantage of your 360’s power? Do you not care to play independent developer PC games which don’t take advantage of the latest 3D techs and pixel shading? Do you not consider any XBLA or PSN games? I hope that’s not the case.

That’s just not cool behaviour, it’s called having double standards and it’s obvious such statements have motives other than what would simply bring the best game. It’s only about what system you own and what company you clearly hate.

As for Okami, um, okay, do we really have to start mentioning crappy ports, or even truly crappy games, as examples of a system’s capability to deliver the goods? I think not, so just don’t go there. We know you hate the Wii, we know you’ll call all of its games shitty looking glitchathons with stupid waggle controls, you don’t have to state it every time someone mentions he’d like to see a game on the Wii. We know, so just say “I’d prefer it was on PS3” rather than go on long rants over the Wii’s suckability. Not cool.

Anyway, rant over, note I never said I’d hate to see JSR on 360 or PS3. Of course I’d prefer it on a system I already own but I won’t say it will suck on any other. Unless it does, which would be another failure of Sega and not a given console.

If a Jet Set Radio game came out on the Wii, I’m sure they could come up with some gameplay enhancements that take advantage of the remote. For example, you could move the remote to spray different patterns on the wall or lean left and right when grinding along rails. There’s a lot of potential to bring this series to the Wii IMO.

Most of the ski/snowboard games on the Wii have gotten a good response, even if they were less than stellar as games, thanks to the controls. They could also enable the balance board for steering if the system detects you own it and it’s connected, that’s also pretty popular, though I imagine sometimes you may just want to play with the controllers alone, so analogue stick support should remain also. Especially since I don’t have the board, but it would be a nice bonus if I ever decide to get it…

[quote]
Yeah I guess his designs were so limited by the Dreamcast eh? Jet Set Radio sure sucked ass, and it sucks more ass now, right? Face it, toon graphics have little to gain from next gen consoles (yeah Valkyria Whatever looks nice, not that technically able though, 3D is quite simple aside from the shading), a slightly updated Jet Set Radio engine would be sufficient, (though they could do much more with the Wii)[/quote]

DC is 10 years old , and that was the best platform the Team had to work on, now you compare the jump between JSR and JSRF souly down to graphics , They’re almost complete different games .
With more power the Team were able to go mad and , what using 4 times the number of polygons for the world, helping the game world evolve and feel more like a living breathing city, and its now almost painful to play the DC version due to its 30 fps update , compared to the X-Box version

SEGA could have done Shenmue on the Saturn , but thanks to the extra power the Team were able to do more and start to add people into the game , something beyond the Saturn. With more power and Ram Teams can add more into games , and try things that wasn’t possible a generation before . Real time morphing , 60 fps was beyond the Saturn
With the X-Box it was possible and the Panzer Team went wide and created what still stands as one of the most stunning looking games ever made

You might want some of SEGA Japan top talent working on designs that wouldn’t trouble a console made in 2001 , I do not.

And really you need to see Valkyrie , running on a PS3 on a High def Screen (this is not a dig) because untill you really see it running , you just can’t appreciate how beautiful the graphics are , even with viewing high def videos online . Only when you see the actual game running can one really appreciate the shading and lighting program . Then one can then really see the line shadows (they don’t come well over the web videos, even in high def), and the lighting is off the chart - I can’t believe how good the lighting is in this game .

That game shows how good a possible JSRF II could look on next gen systems .

[quote]
And I know you would have loved it if it had happened instead of say things like “Bah, the Xbox is here, Sega should quit making the DC and just make Xbox games so we can have better graphics! Yeah man!”[/quote]

If SEGA were still in the Hardware game at the time , SEGA would be reading the DC II in 2001/2 thier self’s - given SEGA 4 to 5 year average console cycle .
So I wouldn’t have any worries as JSRF would be looking stunning on SEGA new machine with its own brand new chipset , so that rather lame point is mute .

I’m sorry but I don’t buy that the Saturn was less powerful than the PS, It was right up there with it . It’s s not only the skill of the developers , but the fact that thanks to the VDP II The team didn’t have to use polygons to draw to ceilings or floors/water and of course the Saturn had more Ram helping with those textures and thanks to the Twin SH-2 had plenty of grunt to boot.

Style and effort can only go so far , You also need ram and Power . Tell me this what version of Streets Of Rage II would you rather play , the Master System version , or the Mega Drive version ?

Panzer Dragoon was made with the VDP II in mind , something which the PS just couldn’t handle or cope with , Just play Grandia and Thunder Force V to find that out . NiGHTS well the main section of the game might have looked a bit better , but the PS would have had trouble with those VDP II boss sections that for sure . As for the transparencies , That was one section the Saturn had trouble with , but Model 2 couldn’t handle transparencies either ,but I would call that a sh8t board .

With the Saturn I got the best of both worlds High end 3D and the best 2D chipset ever made , and when games/developers made use of both those points its made PS games look poor in comparison as RSG, Taroumaru, Duke Nukem 3D , Thunder Force V so ably show

And not every Wii game is good or makes any sort of use of motion consoles , so spare me that . And I’m not a fan of GOW , I much more interested in Project Origin, RE 5 , BIA HH.
And I rather play the 360 versions of the those games than cut down Wii ports , with tacked on motion controls

What was wrong with the port , it looked more or less spot on . There were many people that said the Wii was made for the game , yet it sold poor . I was just making the point that colourful graphics and motion controls don’t always work

Oh and next time you go on a rant take the time to read my pigeon English . I never said a JSR made on the Wii would suck , not if Ueda and co was on the case . I much rather Ueda not to be limited on its poor chip set and low Ram levels , There is a massive difference .

Games like JSR were always cutting EDGE , and to me that means working on the 360 and PS3 , not the Wii . If that’s the case, people should just stick with the X-Box version -It’s not like the Wii version would look or sound any better

Well I shouldn’t respond since you dodged half my post to only respond to what suits you, in the way that suits you, but here I go anyway.

Um no it doesn’t, especially with how so many next gen games run at 30 fps just to push out more detailed graphics, which is something I disagree with but is very often done. And the character designs are better if lower poly, so is the coloring choice for just about everything. 30 fps is VERY common nowadays, if it’s painful to you you must find 80% of the supposed good new games painful.

Hardly, but if so, it’s a last gen game and you think it’s one of the most beautiful. Shows power isn’t everything as long as the system has enough power to achieve what they want for a given game and its style.

Bullshit, neither the DC nor the PS2 could do Mario Galaxy, maybe Xbox could do it @ 30fps like most of its good looking games were.

I guess every game which doesn’t have that kind of great lighting must look poor to you then, I’m sad you won’t enjoy any game until Valkyria 2 comes along.

Bullshit, and if they did introduce a new console, in the middle of the damn generation, it would just be another mistake of theirs. And you’re not responding to what I said about a very specific “if” situation, you’re dodging to make a different point.

[quote]I’m sorry but I don’t buy that the Saturn was less powerful than the PS

…]

Panzer Dragoon was made with the VDP II in mind , something which the PS just couldn’t handle or cope with[/quote]

But it was, we’re talking 3D games here. And you’re comparing Nights and Panzer as if they would be PORTED to the Playstation which is all wrong, I was talking about them built from the ground up for it. A flat plane would only take 2 polygons (triangles) anyway, if it was 3D, instead of one 2D plane. Hardly added stress for the Playstation’s 3D capability.

When did I say they’re all good? That would be idiotic. I’m talking about the 360 having good games that don’t look as spectacular as other good games. That by itself doesn’t make them bad does it? You’re once again dodging the actual point.

Whatever it was an example, duh, insert whatever game you think looks best in its place. Duh.

No shit they said that, the game really was made for it, the port was still bad and didn’t make good use of the Wii. The whole drawing system should have been redesigned, not ported, that was its only problem. But since you keep mentioning Okami, it’s still one of the most beautiful games despite being on last generation hardware. Also, if you keep talking about games which have motion controls which aren’t good, should I start mentioning all the games which look good but are really shit? I think there’s no point in this sort of debate but you once again go out of your way to say such peculiar things.

It can look better if they use a better style, like the original game’s, and it can play better, if they put the effort to make a better game. That’s why you’d play a sequel, no? because it would PLAY better, not because it’s the same exact game with nicer graphics. I think we’ve had enough sequels of games that only improve the graphical specifications but add nothing great to the actual game, we might as well only ever ask for remakes from now on. Maybe the Xbox could have the same or better use of bump and normal mapping but I doubt it could have as good lighting and smooth geometry as Mario Galaxy running @ 60 fps. Few of its games approach that quality and the ones who do run @ 30 or less and are nowhere near as expansive.

Boy I didn’t realise true Sega fans cared about tech spec graphics that much, we should all justify all the Sony insults we’ve endured through the years if that’s the case… We really should never have liked the Saturn, its arcade ports were never perfect with very apparent visual defficiencies, we should hate everything the Saturn stands for as far as 3D goes, and as far as 2D, well, Neo Geo was better, so we shouldn’t adore Saturn so much, even with its 4MB cartridge. Bah, your double standards suck as much as the Wii’s GPU, which is actually “adequate” rather than “poor”. Mario Galaxy is still one of the better looking games of this generation, and it’s a first (if that) generation Wii game. But I bet you will just mention how bad it looks on your gigantic HDTV with jaggies all over the place instead of acknowledge its quality.

Sometimes games also use 30fps for Artistic choice, as we know, film runs at 24Fps.

Choosing a lower frame rate can often give games a more “cinematic” look.

There are effects used in the Panzer Dragoon games that the PlayStation can’t do, It’s hard to accept but true.

The PlayStation was not really aimed towards processing 2D, effects like the water “shimmer” on Saturn all used the dual processor set-up heavily.

If they made the game again for PS1, it would look like Gamera 2000. (youtube it you lazy tards). So yeah, it would have had better 3D at the expence of all the snazzy 2D effects.

As for Neo-Geo being more powerful… no.

The only advantage the Neo has over the Saturn is that it uses ROM carts which gives you an optional amount of memory for storing data - useful for frames of animation and the like.

In terms of sheer power, resolution and speed, the Saturn is much more powerful than a Neo-Geo.

Anyway, on the topic of Jet Set Radio, art is subjective. I personally prefer the smooth slick style of JSRF over the rough styling of the original game any day.

Of course I must be wrong because teh original game had better art. :anjou_sigh:

I’m sure they could have found a way to make some good looking water using transparencies and animated textures. Sould Blade almost got it in the raft level, if it was darker with some more obvious shimmering I think it’d look similarly nice. Besides, that’s only one level, if it looked better overall in everything else, it’d be a minor annoyance… Not to mention if it was a PS game we’d have never seen that nice water to miss it…

Also, Neo Geo could still do all the beautiful 2D games like the latter Metal Slugs and the insanely beautifully animated Garou Mark of the Wolf without extra ram cartridges… Sure they were lower res (I think) but Garou is almost as smoothly animated as the likes of Street Fighter 3.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]
Also, Neo Geo could still do all the beautiful 2D games like the latter Metal Slugs and the insanely beautifully animated Garou Mark of the Wolf without extra ram cartridges… [/quote]

Yeah, they would have been able to use PlayStation water effects, but Saturn effects would go byebye.

I’m not sure I’d be happy flying around shelcoof in Saga without that soothing circular ripple effect around the ship.

“Neo-Geo used Rom Cartridges”

The games are the catridges. It is no coinscidence that latter Neo Games had much larger chips inside the carts than the first ones.

Gamera 2000 looks like a fun PD clone, much better than Omega Boost at least. Worth it?

Oh No , I’m on about playing JSR and then playing JSRF and the frame rate diff is clear to see and hits you in the face . I love Sonic Adv , but after playing Sonic Adv II it does take one time to adjust and get used to the 30fps update - the game does seem far more jerkier and that’s only down to the diff in frame rate . That’s what I’m on about.

If I had my way , rather than wasting time with 1080p , I’ll my rather all games run at 60fps , when that day comes I’ll be happy.

You think the game would look that nice if on the DC ?. Sure it still looks stunning , but that’s all thanks down to the skill of the Team and grunt of the X-Box . I would love to see what the Team could do onthe 360 and PS3 with a new Orta

I still think ICO .SOC looks stunning , but that doesn’t mean I want the ICO team to say working on the PS2 . I can’t wait to see what that Team can get up to on the Next Gen , where the Team will not be limited so much .

Oh wait so a jump in hardware performance can make a diff , can it? . And really there’s nothing the Wii does in Gfx , that the X-Box couldn’t do or done better . Ninja Gaiden on the X-Box looks just as good as Galaxy is completely 3D (like Mario) and running at 60 fps (like Mario). So I think the 360 is more than able of handling Mario Galaxy , I think the GPU is the X-Box is more powerful , but of a shame the X-Box had lame CPU.

I wish more SEGA game would use that engine . But I’m more than happy with the Gfx is most of the big games on the next gen systems, I only wish SEGA Japan had more games that’s looked half as good as Val.

Burning Rangers would have looked better on the PS I have no doubt as for Nights and Panzer I’m not so sure . I have Omega Boost on the PS and while it looks great , built from the ground up on the PS and by SONY top team (at the time( its nothing to Panzer Zwei.

And you’re so very wrong about the plane . Saturn could draw 5 planes that went on for as long as the eye can see , 2 planes of which could be scaled at no cost to CPU or the Saturn polygon performance
That’s why the Saturn was the better machine when it came to water effects and while even games like Tekken (built around the PS) couldn’t touch the likes of Last Bronx or VF II for the use of 3D and multi scaling backdrops.

That’s why the PS has such a hard time of handling the Factory Stage 3 in Thunder Force V . Even with its 3D performance its couldn’t handle the VD II plane .

And where have I said every single 360 game looks great and looks spectacular ?. Like using the Wii, using the chipset of the 360 is still down to the skill of the developer , only that they aren’t so limited .

How about RE 5 , There’s no way the game could be done on that scale and to that level onthe Wii, even with the best effort inthe world . Before you bring up a possible Wii port , we had ports of Mortal Kombat on the Game Gear and Gameboy , but them lost a hell of lot in the conversions. And if they were the lead platform the game wouldn’t have looked so good or have the scale and features , now you get that point ?.

The port from what I saw was spot on and included everything for the PS2 version . Yet I think it sold worse than the PS2 version . That’s just my point , and you really think JSR would use much of the Wii motion controls for anything other than spraying graffiti, because I don’t .

And I never missed that part of the game in JSRF

You’re talking garbage, You me to tell me that no SEGA fan worth thier salt didn’t point out the PS2 was lacking at texturing and that it would have a hard time with Shenmue ect , that most SEGA fans didn’t point out that the Saturn was the better around machine , that the Mega Drive didn’t have a better CPU than the Snes , or Model 2 and 3 didn’t kick Namco’s and Konami butts ???.

And for the Neo Geo being better than the Saturn for 2D , well you’re just making your self look silly . In fact the Snes had better 2D Hardware than the Neo Geo for the most part (shame it had a poor CPU) , The Neo Geo had decent 2D performance backed up with massive carts .

You name me just any NeoGeo 2D game that looks better than Astal , Souky or Guardian Heroes . Ram played its part, that’s why the Neo Geo CD even using the same chipset couldn’t handle ports of Metal Slug 3 or Blazing Star as the system simply didn’t have enough system Ram, a trouble with all CD systems at the time

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]I’m sure they could have found a way to make some good looking water using transparencies and animated textures. Sould Blade almost got it in the raft level, if it was darker with some more obvious shimmering I think it’d look similarly nice. Besides, that’s only one level, if it looked better overall in everything else, it’d be a minor annoyance… Not to mention if it was a PS game we’d have never seen that nice water to miss it…

Also, Neo Geo could still do all the beautiful 2D games like the latter Metal Slugs and the insanely beautifully animated Garou Mark of the Wolf without extra ram cartridges… Sure they were lower res (I think) but Garou is almost as smoothly animated as the likes of Street Fighter 3.[/quote]

The PS just couldn’t do water as well as the Saturn , and when the Saturn was handing Water the VDP II would be used meaning that the Saturn could do full on transparencies for the water it’s self . There’'s not a single PS game with water effects that comes anywhere close to those seen in Zwei, Grandia or Saga .

And yes the Neo Geo could do stunning 2D , but games like GOW were over 700 meg (bigger than CD’s and the SF III coin up) and unlike CD could load all the data on the fly . If the Saturn was a cart based system and had no worries over Meg Limits . It would be producing 2D that would simply blow everything off the planet, even today

It’s one thing to acknowledge it looks stunning but would like to see what they can do better and another thing to call a system “poor” and that being the reason you want a game on a different system.

Ninja Gaiden is far more restrictive than Mario Galaxy, and yes, a jump in hardware can make a difference, but the Wii’s still capable of gorgeous games, it all depends on style. If they try to do a realistic Gears of War on Wii, it will not look as good (though something like Resident Evil 4 is sufficient IMO). If they try to do something like Jet Set Radio or Okami it can be gorgeous.

[quote]And where have I said every single 360 game looks great and looks spectacular? Like using the Wii, using the chipset of the 360 is still down to the skill of the developer , only that they aren’t so limited.

How about RE 5 , There’s no way the game could be done on that scale and to that level onthe Wii, even with the best effort inthe world . Before you bring up a possible Wii port[/quote]

You still refuse to acknowledge my single point which is to say games don’t have to exploit every single bit of technological advancement to look good or be worthy. That’s all I was saying with all that. If they couldn’t be worthy, then anything other than Resident Evil 5 (when the hell did I say it could be ported to the Wii?) would look bad to you. Does it? I hope the answer is no, so, yes, we can have pretty and great games without needing the full power of a 360, or a Wii for that matter.

It was spot on graphically, the motion controls were simply not designed for the Wii, and were just ported from the PS2 version. That’s bad for the game, and it made it not control so well since the interface is different, is it so hard to understand that? This is pretty important you know. Like the Saturn pad was best for Street Fighter and it’s just awkward with PlayStation due to the different buttons set up, except this is far more important since the Wii has 1 analogue stick and motion controls on top, a radical change from the PS’ gamepad. Controls therefor should not have just been ported, but redesigned, at least the drawing parts. As for sales, it was an old title, with minimal marketing, and most of its hype long gone. I think lower sales are to be expected.

I believe that the main reason Mario Galaxy looks as technically polished as it does is down to the draw distance and environment sizes.

We never really see more on screen than Mario, a few enemies and the globe he happens to be standing on.

The same way that in Shenmue on Dreamcast, Ryo’s model looks much better in the tutorials on the Passport disc than it does in the full game.

Gamera 2000, it is pretty much Panzer Dragoon Ziew with stupid FMVs and a horrible acting!

So yes, very fun game, the forest level is almost identical.