Finally played Onimusha

Genma Onimusha to be precise. Picked it up for $9 at EB. Gotta love the bargain bin.

This game is fun as HELL. I’m thoroughly addicted and I’ve only had it for 2 days. This is probably the most fun I’ve had with a hack-and-slash ever (not that I’m a huge fan of hack-and-slash games). Almost makes me regret not owning a PS2 so I can play the sequels as well as Devil May Cry, which I hear is similar.

Whew, ok, just had to get that out of my system. Now I finally realize what the big deal was back when this game came out. First rate stuff.

P.S. Does anyone happen to know how similar Ninja Gaiden is to Onimusha? I’ve heard comparisons made, though from what I’ve seen NG seems closer to Prince of Persia.

I’m not a huge fan of pure hack ‘n’ slash games, although I admit, they can provide many hours of enjoyment.

I prefer these types of games to have their fair share of puzzles and platform hopping as well though, which are two things Devil May Cry has on top of all the combat and epic encounters with screen-filling bosses.

I certainly recommend buying Devil May Cry, but if you know what’s good for you, you’ll avoid the sequel like the plague.

Yeah, I know the sequel sucks.

I prefer Ninja Gaiden over it personally, but both are good games.

From what my boyfriend tells me, the X-box version harder than the PS2 version and he was surprised too as he noticed that some itmes and creatures were moved around or introduced early in the X-box version.

Egh, all of the Onimusha games are considered mediocre.

Except Onimusha 3, that game was superb.

But if you’re looking for the hack 'n slash of all hack 'n slashes, Ninja Gaiden IS the one.