E3 Discussion

Finally, a new Phantasy Star. Sonic Team hasn’t developed anything decent with those words in the title since abandoning the Dreamcast. In fact, Sega has milked Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2 to death with revamped GameCube, Xbox and PC versions of the games. I never allowed myself to fall victim to Phantasy Star online, however, so I can’t share in the excitment.

Capcom’s Devil May Cry 3 is shaping up into something special. I don’t believe the creator of the original game (and creator of the Resident Evil series) is heading the game’s development; assuming of course, that will make the slightest bit of difference to the end result.

Sega offically announces Matrix Online deal

After weeks of wild rumors, the so-called “Sega-ton” announcement proves anticlimactic.
Two weeks ago, wild rumors of a resurgent Dreamcast raged after Sega sent out word that it would have an “explosive announcement” at this year’s E3. However, that news detonated over the weekend, when Sega posted large banners announcing its deal to publish The Matrix Online all over the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Nevertheless, the press gathered at Sega’s E3 today so see if the so-called “Sega-ton” had any more bang left in it. After a brief delay, the lights in the Sega booth dimmed and Sega of America president Hideaki Irie emerged to announce?a deal with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Monolith to publish the Matrix Online.

Speaking to the audience, WBIE’s senior vice president Jason Hall said he considered the massively multiplayer game “the fourth movie in the series” and hyped up the detail of its urban setting. Them Monolith CEO Samantha Ryan appeared to present a so-called “super brawl,” in which a group of Monolith staffers duked it out inside the Matrix Online. Sega will be staging these demo fights throughout E3.

For more on the Matrix Online, check back later for our forthcoming preview.

By Tor Thorsen – GameSpot’

Al3x: See?I was right.This was the big announcement.And that’s not the first source to say that either…

Anyways, it’s needless to say that I’m very dissappointed.
You can’t even imagine the amount of negative SEGA feedback I’ve seen yesterday…

Even SegaFanBoys…

About PSU: Well it’s a MMORPG (sp?) and I never really played such a game aside from PSO (which i dind’t like).

I looking forward to play about 6 e3 games :

Myst iV : Revelation
Fable
Otogi 2
KOTOR 2
Halo 2
Jade Empire

Still waiiting for good news…

Bye bye Sega. It was nice knowing you, but now I really couldn’t care less. This announcement just sums up Sega’s recent years. All the hype and it didn’t live up to one bit of it.

Matrix Online is the biggest mistake Sega have ever made.

No kidding - this is even worse than the 32x fiasco, and I never thought anything could be as stupid as that - looks like I was wrong…again.

Considering the amount of interest the series lost when the 2nd and 3rd films dissappointed the general public…

Let’s pray that Sonic Team go to Ninty or something.

Makes me wonder why Sega have had so many dedicated fans, they have been making stupid choices for years!

We have two new Shining games and a new Phantasy Star game to look forward to now. What more could you ask for? I’m still holding onto the hope of Sega fully translating Shining Force III, however unlikely that may be, but the chances of that happening skyrocketed the moment Sega announced the development of a new Shining Force title for the Playstation 2 (hopefully the Panzer team at Amusement Vision is handling the game). Only Sega’s refusal to translate the complete game (now that Sega has resurrected the series for the console market) would be enough to kill my faith.

Nights 2 was always unlikely given the nature of the game. Shenmue 3 is also an unlikely future project, but as far as I know Yu Suzuki has yet to announce his latest project. An RPG sequel to Panzer Dragoon Orta will probably be an Xbox 2 title, if anything.

Shenmue3 is not unlikely.It has been confirmed that Digital Rex is working on it.Rumours say that the sole purpose of this team was to finish the Shenmue series…

And why do you Nights 2 WAS unlikely Geoff?? :slight_smile:

Well… Ok the announcement was a dud but meh, let’s place blame on SOA, they are the ones that proclaimed the announcement, no? (If I’m wrong sorry…)
And as far as MMORPGs go TMO has some interesting ideas so I wouldn’t make it their “biggest mistake ever” or anything like that, I bet it will sell by the truckload…

They’re making another Shining Force? Oooh! But I hope they finish Shining Force 3. My sister LOVES Shining Force 3 but got pissed off by the ending.

I think Amusement Vision are the people handling all three of the new Shining games (Resurrection of the Dark Dragon, Shining Tears, and the new Force title on PS2). If you look at the poster that shows all three it says something like 'copyright to Amusement Vision" at the bottom suggesting that all three games will be made/are being made by them.

“Ressurection of the Dark Dragon”

XD!

Gehn, I’m not sure how a game like Nights would fare in today’s market. What do you think?

The Shining Force III Scenario 1 ending Sega of America rewrote, you mean? The Japanese version of the game was supposed to end on a cliff-hanger which the English translation attempts to resolve in order to create the impression that it was a complete game when nothing could be further from the truth.

I’m not sure if the next Shining Force game will be titled Shining Force IV or not. Sega would be foolish not to remind people of the game’s long history.

I assume the Panzer team at Smilebit won’t be working on the new Playstation 2 Shining games because they’ve had the least experience programming games for Sony’s console. I could be wrong though. At least if the Panzer team was developing the new Shining Force game we’d know it was in capable hands. They are the least likely to screw everything up IMO.

Geoff: I was just pointing out that E3 isn’t over yet :slight_smile: We could still get good news.

Tell you what : if Nights was released on PS2 I’m sure it would be a huge success.GC and Xbox would do good but not even close.

It has been confirmed that Digital Rex are working on A game, I havent heard that the game is definately Shenmue 3, I dont think Shenmue 3 has even been confirmed.

a) UGH MATRIX, Sega get wrose and worse…
b) noooooo no NiGHTS game! They way things are going i don’t want a disapointing game to be release on a bunch of non sega consoles and possibly flop… that would ruin NiGHTS, and if that does happen i will be angry

I don’t get why you all think it’s so bad to publish The Matrix Online… It sounds like an interesting mmorpg type of game, it is bound to sell by the truck load and it takes no time from the development of other games since Sega is just the publisher… Basically it will fund Sega developed games… Nothin wrong with that, I’m especially glad Sega is starting to publish games often now and they seem to be doing the right choices too what with the Warhammer MMORPG (bound to be very popular as well), that new football manager game (I think it’s the new championship manager except with a new name from now on, that’s great to ocos that’s a very popular game too and will sell a lot for sure) and now with TMO… I find nothin wrong with these actions, the only wrong I find is how SOA made us believe it would be something much more than one mere game and not even a Sega developed at that, but that’s irrelative…

Will matrix online really do that well? The matrix isnt all that popular after the let downs of the last 2 films.