Don't forget NiGHTS!

So you might be aware that “Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing” is set for release in 2010. Sega has not yet revealed NiGHTS as a character and it’s strongly suspected that he won’t be in the real game.

I should just let this thread from the NiGHTS forum speak for itself.

BASICALLY:
NiGHTS fans need to email Sega NOW if NiGHTS is going to be in the game, even if only through DLC.
The fans have previously launched an email campaign to Sumo Digital, the developers, who basically said "Woah, we know you guys want NiGHTS but we cannot reveal the roster yet and it’s entirely Sega’s call."
So now the fans are emailing Sega directly.

Copy and paste this email, if you don’t want to write something personal (which is encouraged):
"Hi. I’m from the NiGHTS fanbase.

We still have not seen anything of NiGHTS yet in Sonic & SEGA AllStars Racing.
I would love to see NiGHTS in this game. If he is not in the main game then can you please make him a DLC character?
Greg Johnson, creator of ToeJam & Earl, has recently stated that DLC might be planned for AllStars Racing so if NiGHTS is not in the game can you please make NiGHTS a DLC character. We would support it by buying NiGHTS DLC for this game.

Please let NiGHTS take part in AllStars Racing.
Don’t Forget NiGHTS

yours sincerely

(your name)"

Send that to:
mail@sonicteam.com

Some other email addresses that MIGHT be worth a shot.
danielL@soe.sega.co.uk
segapr@sega.com
sega@accesspr.com

I know there are other NiGHTS fans here and it’s the only Saturn-originated property that’s Sega has been keeping alive of late. So you really ought to send that email! And spread the word to any other Sega forums you belong to!

Don’t know if I want him in. What if the game sucks? What if they give him a crappy vehicle? SEGA Japan hasn’t forgotten about Nights, he’s a chibi mag in Phantasy Star Portable 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5iMFoF3kc
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3539/nights.png

The PSP2 is some good news at least.
It doesn’t really matter if the game sucks or not (although from what I’ve heard, people who played it at Summer of Sonic apparently liked it) it’s about NiGHTS fading away as a mascot.
Basically the message to Sega is not to forget the NiGHTS fans. Especially since he’s been in every previous Sega All-Stars game and is potentially being bumped off by friggin’ BIG THE CAT who has NO fanbase.

Sega dropped the ball with Journey of Dreams (info was leaked basically saying that they half-assed the project) but if NiGHTS can at least stay around in these side games, it keeps the hope of there someday being a proper NiGHTS sequel alive.

[quote=“Nemoide”]

Sega dropped the ball with Journey of Dreams (info was leaked basically saying that they half-assed the project) but if NiGHTS can at least stay around in these side games, it keeps the hope of there someday being a proper NiGHTS sequel alive.[/quote]

SEGA Japan is dropping the ball on almost everything , This line their line up is the most poorest I can even remember . I’m shock and appalled at how poor SEGA Japan are at the moment , they’re fast becoming irrelevant

I think PSP2 will be (it seems closer to Online) and sell great and they also made Valkyria Chronicles and are making Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP. Publishing games like Bayonetta and Infinite Space was also a good move showing support for quality titles and studios. Then there’s Yakuza 3 & 4. What of 7th Dragon and Shining Force Feather? I don’t see anything so poor about this kind of lineup, other than how SEGA has been in general post Dreamcast and Xbox. That is, they need more quality games made (and actually localised), but not to act like nothing of quality comes out of them.

They murdered NiGHTS in JoD. NiGHTS is gone.

Oh Wow lets get all excited over Val a game that came out years ago in Japan. lets get excited about Yak III and IV when they’re all but unplayable unless you speak Japanese , and is light years behind the rest in Terms of Tech .
7th Dragon , Looking over the language barrier , was it even made In-House , Bayonetta most certainly wasn’t
Its just a lame pathetic SOJ were have at the moment , slowly being killed off by SAMMY

It was getting bad last gen , but at least we had the likes of ORTA, HOTD II, SEGT GT 2002, GV, JSRF Yak II, OutRun II , VF 4 Evo , Monkeyball II . Games that not only were utterly brilliant in my eye’s , but world leading in terms of tech and pushing the host machine

I’m not sure if SEGA is even capable of making a game as magnificent or as eye popping beautiful as Orta these days.
Its sad to say , while I never stop supporting and pushing for the Corp . As a Games Company SEGA Japan is all but dead to me , and a shadow of their former self’s , and if Ueda-san leaves SEGA that will be the final nail inthe coffin for SEGA (for me personally) and Panzer Dragoon

SAMMY can go and fuck them self’s imo

Try getting some perspective. If you compare the whole last-gen lineup, why is Valkyria Chronicles off-limits despite being of this-gen, especially when it’s getting a sequel at some point in the future (which you cleverly skipped in your response). As for the games that don’t get localised, boo hoo, they were still made by SOJ and are good games. For localisation, ask SOA/E. And I never said Bayonetta was made in house, I even mentioned the developer of the game, and noted it was a great PUBLISHING deal, what the fuck? There’s Virtua Fighter V this gen also if you thought IV was so important, and there are a couple of Monkeyball games also, I just figured you’d start your rant about the Wii if I mentioned them (oh dear, here it comes). And you skipped SFF.

Val is but one game , and game that is coming up to being 2 years old . I really don’t care for the sequel on PSP . SEGA go to all the trouble and all the expense of making a beautiful looking game , only to never use that engine again ,when a its sequel should be a all singing all dancing Multi platform release using a improved CANVAS engine

Compared to last gen , the only decent Next Gen SEGA engines have been CANVAS and Hedghog .
Last Gen we had JSRF and ORTA which still to this day look spectacular (never mind when they 1st came out( , HOTD III which looked incredible (the graphics onthe fat guys were particularly brilliant ) SEGA GT 2002 the only racer to come close to Polyphony Digital car Models , whilst running at 60 fp , as well as having some of the best lighting effects and hands down the best 5.1 ever in a racer (still to this very day)
Virtual 4 Evo and Yakuza II pushed that pile of pants that is the PS2 to breaking point , while VF 5 is just a simple port of a Arcade machine running on a Arcade Board with nothing like the power of the 360 or PS3 (where I bet the only trouble was fitting the game in Half the Ram ) Nothing like trying to get NA@MI II running on a PS2 .
That’s over looking great looking games like F-Zero GX, MonkeyBall II, GV , OutRun II ,and that SEGA were still trying to get over and adjust to becoming a 3rd party , rather than a 1st part developer on it own systems
This gen SEGA Japan is nowhere and hopelessly outclassed by Capcom , with nothing like the Staff or money that SEGA can put on its productions , even FromSoftware is doing more in terms of Tech and impressive games

MonkeyBall ? I have and own Banana Blitz and its the worst entry in the series , that is just about playable and totally ruined the Mini games thanks to piss poor controls , hell MonkeyBall II looks far more impressive graphically imo.
Before you start , this isn’t an attack on your precious Wii , just on SEGA it’s self . So I’m not at all looking forward to the next entry , which imo will be just another 3rd Party Mini game collection onthe Wii ,and a cheap and easy cash in for SEGA, just like its pathetic Update of Daytona USA?/SEGA classic racing in the Arcades
Poor old Isao Okawa, must be rolling around in his grave at whats happing to SEGA be in inthe home or the Arcades . This isn’t the old SEGA that once led the world in creativity , tech , its just a piss poor shadow of its former self .
There’s some that say Pachinko companies should never be allowed to buy Software corps , and by GOD they’re right .
They killed off SNK, they killed off Technosoft , and soon SEGA will be next . Lets face it , to many SEGA are dead anyway

BTW I like my RPG’s , but the story and characters are really important and central to the game for me . So unless it’s in English , I find it incredible hard to get in to a RPG when playing in Japanese .
I have the Sakura Taisen series on DC, and they could well be , not only the best in the series , but some of the best RPG’s ever
Not that I’ll ever know with the language barrier , and no… I don’t fancy learning Japanese

So, instead of being glad SEGA makes games like Valkyria Chronicles and when they don’t sell instead of ditching the franchise they make portable sequels you shit on them for it and say “I don’t care” for the sequel. What should they do instead? They kept making great games that didn’t sell and where did that bring them? To being a mere third party developer. Now you’re saying they suck because they don’t continue on the same path? A path to what? Complete destruction? Sure, keep waiting for that. Some games don’t go outside Japan but hey they justify their cost there, not here, that aint SEGA’s fault. Go nag SOA/SOE for localisation, SOJ do their job well for them.

As for the Daytona update that’s completely irrelevant. Its only purpose is new cabinets for the old game. They don’t have the Daytona rights anymore, cabinets are hard to come by and repairs cost a fortune, yet the game’s still popular among arcades. Hence this “update” to increase availability of the same game without having to acquire the rights all over again. It’s got nothing to do with being a remake or anything, though when the first flyers showed up it’s what people (including me) hoped for. There’s no reason to shit on SEGA for it however.

It should have been Multi platform for the 1st game , on the PSP , 360, PC and PS3 , That the best way I see, to get a new series established.
Not every one that owns a PSP owns a PS3 , much less have played VAL.
I’m not sure but I’m not really expecting to see VAL sell much better that the sales of 280,000 of the PS3 version

I think it was making Hardware that brought SEGA to it’s knees , more so than software , selling the DC at a massive loss per unit did nothing for SEGA bank balance.

SEGA haven’t had the Daytona USA rights for years , It 1st lost them to Hasbro and then to EA bloody years ago
This isn’t about replacing old Cab’s , Its all about a piss poor cash in , desperate to bring in some easy money of the back of an iconic title , ,much like remakes of classic films
The sad fact is that the old SEGA , would be making a worthy sequel , and if SEGA really wants to make some money of the 1994 game , they should bring to X-Box LIVE and PSN , but then SEGA should have brought a perfect version of the Model 2 game to the X-box and PS2 AGES ago .
SEGA is sitting of a massive back Catalogue of Arcade classic that could bring in some real easy money if brought out on Classic Collection packs or LIVE Arcade ECT

Anway that look over the bigger issue and That’s SOJ dire eternal line up . For the 1st time , since the early 90’s I have bought a single In-House SOJ game this year , or even wanted too , and next years line up hardly looks any special . Now I dare say there’s a few diehards on this board and I bet even they will strudel to list SOJ In-House games they bought this year , much less liked , or looking forward too .
Then there’s the issue of Tech , and that’s a area SEGA Japan have been miles and miles behind. I’m looking at Lost Planet II and its so far ahead of anything SEGA is offering its untrue , and its making far more use of Online than anything SEGA is offering too .
This after SEGA did so much to try and use Online gameplay with the Saturn and DC

SEGA Japan are just shit at the moment , led by that moron Hajime Satomi
who after slating SEGA in the CSK days for endless losses , lack of focus , and countless Team changes , Is doing exactly the same mistakes , and worse still , we have Nagoshi-san is charge of the Teams , A man that seems to worry more about his Tan or looks , rather than Game development
Its utterly depressing to see SOJ, this once great Corp , become so poor and so irrelevant this generation . Looks like the Dream really is over

It’s not about selling better it’s about selling similar but with a lower development cost so that it can actually turn a profit. It wouldn’t sell multimillions even if it was on every system out there.

That too.

Yes it is. It’s what arcade owners want. Daytona still rocks people’s socks @ the arcades but cabinets are getting worn out and repair costs are extremely high. This solves the issue.

Boo hoo, games aren’t just about tech, CG movies are. If SEGA was all about tech then they’d have gone third party in the SNES days to develop for the SNES or in the PlayStation days to develop for the PlayStation. Tech isn’t what they do. Games are. Valkyria Chronicles is visually on par with any JRPG. It doesn’t have normal mapping out the wazoo but it has style. Much like Tales of Vesperia for example. Maybe Star Ocean blows them out of the water in tech but it’s the lesser game.

You maintain that you haven’t played 2/3rds of SOJ’s output because SOA/SOE don’t localise them and/or you aren’t interested in the platforms (PSP/DS?) yet you still shit on SOJ. Okay then.

I would be inclined to agree with you , more so if this was a Multi player game in the shape of MH or PSO . But the 1st game was a totally single player game , I’ve downloaded the demo on the PSP , and it plays much the same . I’m not expecting the game to sell that great onthe PSP , and its I think it will pretty much sell like crap in the west on the PSP .

The point is , SEGA screwed up with the 1st game on many levels . How well to Strategy based RPG’s sell today , even in Japan ?, Problem 2 was launching it on a system that was horrendously expensive , and having a hard time establishing it’s self , even in Japan , so the launch window of the game wasn’t great . problem 3 was SEGA next to non existent advertising of the game in the West (most people didn’t even know it was out ) .

I’m really not sure how many of the problems will be fixed ‘JUST’ by putting in on the PSP will. In my eye’s the 1st game should have been Multi Platform from the start.
That to me seems to be the way maker how to make money and get best sales and widest possible coverage this gen .

I would say the hardware dream is what cost SEGA .

I just don’t buy that
For one , I saw very Little Daytona USA machine inthe Arcade 5 years ago , never mind now (so have to question this replacing notion ). Most Arcade’s are dying a death and being replaced by Fruit/Gambling machines .
I fail to see how a game with no hint of Graphical improvement , is going to make people want to play in Arcades again .

Of course its about tech , tech is what makes games possible in the 1st place , You Wii Boys getting Call Of Duty 5 ???, Me thinks not
Oh and the Mega Drive is in many ways, far Superior to the Snes .
So Don’t give me that load of old tosh
You could do stuff onthe MD that the Snes just couldn’t cope with , Like Polygons for one , or decent sports games for another , thanks to the extra grunt of the CPU ( I leave SONIC aside for now ) All without extra DSP chips too .
And I could list quite a few games that the Saturn could handle , that the PS couldn’t

It is , but it is but one game , and where most other companies are moving ahead pushing with their major next Gen engines , moving them up to 2 or 3rd generation of tech . SEGA seems to be dumping CANVAS and what the hell is Happing with Hedgehog Engine ?

I don’t think the tech is that great, or the game that good . I’m more of a BlueDragon fan , has a game, and for the incredible tech But they again people like Matsumumoto were SEGA trained

[quote]
You maintain that you haven’t played 2/3rds of SOJ’s output because SOA/SOE don’t localise them and/or you aren’t interested in the platforms (PSP/DS?)[/quote]

No I maintain I haven’t imported Yakuza III ,. Don’t own a DS and not really interested much in my PSP.
But there again I wasn’t into the Cube much , SEGA still delivered the goods on other formats , wasn’t at all into the Gear Gear all , but again SEGA delivered in on the Big Boy console.
These days SEGA Japan can’t do that , they’re simply poor , way behind on games , and way behind on tech .
Not the SEGA I grew up to love and respect , But a short term looking quick and simple fixes SEGASAMMY .

Wii bullshit again. What did I say about the Wii? It’s the weakest home machine this gen, so was the Saturn (in 3D, and SEGA did primarily 3D), so was the Genesis, that didn’t stop you from being a SEGA fanboy. Hell, so was the PS2 (after the DC’s death) yet most games came out for it instead and nobody complained. You completely ignore all this just to bring up the Wii, to do what? Change the course of this discussion? Why are you having it if you don’t want it? And yes, COD5 is on Wii, as is 3 & 4. COD6, no, I don’t see the “Wii fanboys” getting it. That doesn’t mean a game of that scale is impossible on Wii, only that this particular engine is NOT optimised for Wii and it’s a miracle even the 2 ports it got so far were done so succesfully. I do have it on PC and it’s pretty shit though, a marginal new lick of paint for the concepts found in 4, yet with no real substance of their own. If that’s the way gaming’s going thanks to tech races over gameplay substance, it’s pretty fucking sad. All you’re doing is falling for the hype those who want to turn the gaming industry into a new interactive Hollywood want to do. Someone else put it much better than me, and I quote:

*Because the Wii doesn’t reflect the values of the videogame industry and the videogame media. It’s clear that the industry wants to be Hollywood. That is why Graphics are worshiped at a fanatical level and given the highest priority. Devs don’t want to make games anymore - they want to make cinematic experiences that make you cry. They want games to look as real as possible in order to make these pseudo movies.

This fanaticism has gotten to the point where a game that was amazing a few years ago is treated like a piece of shit simply because it doesn’t look as good as something made today. You hear buzz words like “standards” and “dated” in order to justify the illogical and irrational devaluing of older games based on how they look. It’s sad when someone says they can’t play a game they supposedly loved anymore because of how it looks.

Gameplay which is what makes a game a game and not a CGI movie is treated as secondary, and as such we have games today that look amazing but have the same gameplay as those of last gen and before. Of course making HD graphics is easy and making compelling, innovative gameplay is hard, and that’s another reason why the industry wants gamers to value graphics above anything else. If they can sell you the same game every year with a prettier coat of paint then they’ve got you.

Game X on Wii may be essentially the same game that you saw on the 360, but since it doesn’t have that HD sparkle that makes internet nerds go fap, fap, fap it will be dismissed and derided. It doesn’t matter that it plays the same, has the exact same content or has superior controls. It’s not in HD and that’s what matters to - sadly - the vast majority of people who call themselves the “hardcore” in the media and industry.*

If you really cared about tech so much you shouldn’t even consider consoles since the PC platform offers image quality and technology far greater than anything the comparatively puny PS360 can ever hope to achieve. On the other hand, while I do have a gaming PC of this caliber, and play many of the same games you do with better visuals and in higher resolution, somehow I find the Wii is not beneath me, while you find it horrible. That’s a joke honestly, a bad one at that. I guess I shouldn’t be playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on my PSP either because the tech is oh so lang gen, who cares about the actual game experience, huh? And those DS gamers! How can they be enjoying casual games, JRPGs, shooters, dungeon crawlers, and other games with so shitty graphics?!

Thankfully, not everyone thinks that way and even on my technologically superior PC I have games that don’t rely 100% on visuals but instead put the gameplay first. Games that don’t need 50 million dollars to create after being greenlit by suits who don’t know what the fuck video games are and base their decisions on sales data and charts, but cheap, solid, playable titles created by people with heart and a great love for gaming, as it should be, and in that the Wii helps by having lower visual standards, much like the portable systems, and lower development costs. I shouldn’t have to mention how many studios have been merged/bankrupted/sold off, or otherwise butchered, after having a flop on the expensive to develop for HD platforms. Who cares, eh? As long as we have Activision making multibillions with yet another Call of Duty game, the industry’s healthy and should keep going how it’s going with its tech race! Win for the consumer, win for the developers! Lol…

Anyway, I’ll say it again so you don’t miss it. Anyone that goes on about technology but isn’t strictly a PC gamer is a hypocrit. Don’t even try to bring up the cost issue as any $600 PC (the initial price of the PS3) will be able to run games at visual quality far beyond the PS360. Let’s not even mention how all this “technology” has somehow made this generation’s console standard 30 fps. We had more 60 fps games last gen than this gen for Christ’s sake. Thankfully the PC leaves all that behind and lets the user decide the fps based on what he wants, yet you still rant about how the Wii is evil and shit and the PS360 the standard. Laughable. You even admitted that Valkyria Chronicles is a good game, then you admitted that Valkyria Chronicles 2 plays much like the original based on the demo, yet earlier you said you don’t care about it. Because of tech? I pity such fools.

That attitude is all that’s wrong with gaming as far as I’m concerned and I will not respond to any more of your ridiculous, biased rants that hide under hypocritical wishes for technology that don’t even apply in your case since you do not support the most technology-driven platform of them all, the PC. Still, you got what you wanted, a discussion about the Wii. Enjoy ranting over it as I’m sure you plan to do, but you aren’t fooling anyone, and least of all myself.

Not being a PC gamer doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t find powerful tech important. There are other reasons for deciding against purchasing a PC, and instead buying the most powerful console (assuming technology is most important thing to the buyer, other than these reasons).

1. Price. A gaming PC offering the same performance is typically going to cost at least twice as much as a console. Compare that to the difference between the Wii and 360’s price, which is notably smaller.
  2. Ease of use/minimal configuration. Even on a well configured PC, it isn’t going to be as simple to get a newly purchased game up and running. You have to install the game and (sometimes) activate it online using questionable DRM systems. With a console you put the game in and it ‘just works’.
  3. Multiplayer splitscreen. The experience of playing mutiplayer Halo, for example, with people in the same room isn’t possible on the PC, without buying multiple PCs. And as with point 1, that costs a lot more, and also requires more hardware. Sometimes gamers just want a few simple games of multiplayer splitscreen with a few friends. A split screen console game requires minimal setup, unlike seting a whole LAN in the garage.
  4. Lastability. The life of a console, for tech oriented games, is longer than that of the typical PC. For example, you could buy a fairly powerful PC for Crysis. In three years, it’s debatable whether you’ll be able to play the next big game with a decent framerate. If a console sells well it’s going to last at least five years, probably longer for this generation.

So in conclusion, there are a number of differences between PCs and consoles that are going to stop some people from buying a gaming PC, even if they’re interested in tech. Notably price and simplicity.

I agree with your point that technology isn’t the only thing that matters though. From that perspective, there’s plenty of reasons to consider all systems.

If tech was so important then learning the minimal know-how required to maintain a PC wouldn’t be of any consequence. The same goes for the price which with a little market research isn’t that high and you eventually save it from the generally cheaper games. After all, these hypocritical tech junkies that bought consoles still had to invest in a HDTV which added to the price quite a bit indeed. Split screen has been all but forgotten this generation sadly, it’s the exception rather than the rule (some PC games also support it), and even if it’s there the game design isn’t centered around 2-4 players but for online play. Lastability isn’t that far. A PC will last about 5 years if you buy near top of the line gear, perhaps with an upgrade inbetween for a particular component like the graphics card, which again isn’t a big deal given the cheaper games, which for one who buys many will mean a lot of money saved. Not to mention a vast catalogue of games with minimal requirements that would take more than a lifetime to explore by now, meaning even when your PC starts being outdated there’s still plenty of gaming for you to do. Still, this is the tech race part I guess, but again, if you want tech, you go PC and the sacrifices required are minimal and the more you learn of it the more minimal they become. Timing is important in purchases, as is some research into what’s coming ahead. Still, if one’s interested in tech, he researches it somewhat at least I would think. I do. And there are many places that do it also and can act as guides for people who don’t want to do the whole research on their own. I should also add that, while this generation of consoles may last longer than usual, this may also leak onto PC hardware. Many games are enhanced ports of console games, that means they can be optimised for lower-end hardware which in turn means if the PC port is good it won’t have that high requirements while still offering a superior visual result. MW2 & RE5 are good examples (and incidentally the latter is a good example of tech not being the all important factor as the mechanics are near identical to RE4 and as a game it’s actually inferior).

I’m glad you agree about the tech issue. That’s a dying breed of gamer lately. Well, if you go by forum discussions and such on mainstream websites. I’m sure there are communities with rational and real gamers like that, they probably steer clear of those websites exactly because of that.

I just want to go on record saying I don’t have and idea what this thread is about anymore.

Yeah, sorry about that. GO NIGHTS!

My point here, was that there is a difference between the desire to use powerful tech and the desire to tinker with it. Some people would rather all of the power and none of the pain. Personally, installing games and setting a screen resolution isn’t a huge issue for me (DRM however, is), but I can see why some people would prefer a plug and play approach.

PC games are, generally, slightly cheaper than their console counterparts, and this is one of the attractions to the platform. However the cost of the hardware is significant, even with market research. You’d need to buy a lot of games to break even. From my experience, an equivalent gaming PC is going to cost at least twice the amount of a console. I welcome any evidence to prove this claim wrong, of course.

There are plenty of split screen games this generation. Big Xbox 360 games such as Halo 3 and Gear of War support split screen. It’s certainly a legitimate form of multiplayer, and a great reason to purchase a console instead of (or as well as) a PC.

I agree that’s there’s plenty of reasons to keep gaming on a 5 year old PC. Just as there is plenty of reasons to keep gaming on an older console (the PS2 is my primary game system at the moment). However, in terms of being able to run the latest games for that platform, you’d need to invest quite a large sum of money into building your PC in 1999 for it to be capable of running Half-Life 2 at a decent frame rate in 2004 (five years later). If that’s even possible? Most likely, you’d need to upgrade some components along the way.

If you’re prepared to invest that kind of money into a gaming PC, then great. I’ve built or had built gaming PCs on multiple occasions. But in terms of value for money, the 360 is a good compromise between price and fairly powerful, lasting tech (when its not dying of the RRoD!).

Sorry, we kind of high-jacked your topic.

Nonetheless, my points were in response to something which I feel needs clearing up. I can split the topic if you feel strongly that it needs to be.