Balan Wonderworld (new game from Yuji Naka)

Also, this video is hilarious!!:

I agree Billy H is a great game. I loving Wonderworld too but I guess if its Duspter Fire on YouTube it must be true rollseyes

All the more amazing when YouTube praises utter crap like Outriders :frowning:

Cool little Easter eggs I noticed. The circus hat Billy uses is Nights’ hat and at the end of the game Billy uses the Ideya of Purity against the final boss!

And there are Nights and Sonic cameos too!

Damn this is pretty sad…Yuji Naka is leaving Square Enix due to the failure of Balan Wonderworld. I’m not surprised though. I mean right at the start with the game having over 80 abilities, the game wasn’t planned out very well. Back to the drawing board for him I guess…

He should just go back to SEGA and help them reboot or make another Sonic or Nights game…

Also, I don’t know how true this is but apparently, the gameplay of Balan Wonderworld was outsourced to another developer in the same way Shenmue 3’s npc’s were outsourced to a developer in India. Splitting your main development team up and putting something as vital as the gameplay into someone else’s hands was sure to have consequences!

Teken from a comment in the twitter article:

“Poor guy. He’s made a lot of mediocre to bad games after Sonic, but from what I’ve heard most of the big releases have been screwed over by the companies he was working with. Rodea never got the Wii release he wanted and Balan seems to have been farmed out to some shovelware dev for the actual gameplay to cut costs. I wish him well, but honestly if I were in his shoes I would pack it up and do something else after all this.”

Outsourcing happens in almost every game in the modern era. If we’re talking about India, that’s usually for art and well it’s only what Turn 10 and many others do for character or car models or if it’s not India It’s China and many games even from Naughty Dog, Capcom, Guerrilla Games have all look to the likes of China to help out

You speak of Shenmue hell to get that game done SEGA had to draft in almost every In-House studio to help AM#2 and even outside companies to help get the game on track with the likes of Land Ho drafted in to help out and that was back in 1999.

Shame whats happened to Blan and the wonderful hate on the wonderful Internet.

So apparently Yuji Naka has made some comments about Balan Wonderworld’s troubled development and even filed a lawsuit against Square Enix! And surprisingly, they let him go 6 months before the game was finished and released the game in an unfinished state!!!

I can understand now why the game was so unpolished. If Yuji Naka had his way the game would have been delayed another year like it should have been! Square Enix just didn’t care! I feel bad for him now…

1 Like

Shame regarding the Balan news. I actually enjoyed my time with the game albeit definitely feeling that something was missing. The news does explain that yes, Artzest really dropped the ball on this one.

1 Like

I just think that’s Naka being a cry baby and looking to blame other’s, not that I found the game to be bad at all. I loved it.

1 Like