Azel & Edge; Azel’s Epilogue; and related. Clarification. (J)

Dialogues between Edge and Azel after Edge brought Azel back; after the battle with Infested Grig Orig, before the Tower

Edge found Azel in Underground Ruins of Uru

Edge: (!? あれは…)
(アゼル!!)

Translation.

「Edge: (!? That is…)
(Azel!!)」

Dialogues in the camp in the forest, before the Seeker’s Stronghold

The first dialogue

Edge: …落ち着いた?
Azel: ええ
ごめんなさい… 心配、かけて
Edge: 君は、あそこで生まれたんだね
Azel: 私も、そう思っていた…
でも、違ったの
Edge: え… ?
Azel: 生まれたんじゃない…
ただ、造られただけ
Edge: …戻ろう、アゼル
ガッシュ達だって
悪いようにはしやしないさ

Translation.

「Edge: …Calmed down? [Said with a soft voice]
Azel: Yes
I’m sorry… For making you worry
Edge: You were born there, right?
Azel: I thought so, too…
But it’s not like that
Edge: Eh…?
Azel: I was not born…
But just created
Edge: …Let’s go back, Azel
Gash and the others
Won’t do anything bad」

FAR, Azel

Edge: (つらかったんだろうな、アゼルも…)

Translation.

「Edge: (It must have been tough for you, Azel…)」

About the Tower (1) – [塔の話]

Azel: 塔が…
また、新しいしもべを造っている…
Edge: そんな事がわかるのか?
Azel: 一度同調すると、伝わってくるの
…知りたくなくても
Edge: ここから、塔を止められないのか?
Azel: だめ… じかに接続しないと
でも、それは…
Edge: うん… わかってるよ

Translation.

「Azel: The Tower…
Again, it’s creating new servants…
Edge: How do you know that?
Azel: Once I am synchronized, it will be transmitted
…Even if I don’t want to
Edge: Can you stop the Tower from here?
Azel: No… I have to connect directly
But, that is…
Edge: Yes… I understand you」

About the Tower (2)

Azel: あの塔は、完全に目覚めたわ
私のせいで…

Translation.

「Azel: That Tower has completely awakened
It’s my fault…」

About Sestren (1) – [セストレンの話]

Edge: セストレンって遺跡の事、知らないか?
Azel: 名前くらいなら、入力されてるわ
でも、詳しいことはわからない
私の役目は、塔の制御だけだったから…

Translation.

「Edge: Have you heard about the ruins of Sestren?
Azel: This name has been entered
But the details are unknown to me
My role was only to control the Tower…」

About Sestren (2)

Azel: あなたも… 扉を開いてほしいの?

Translation.

「Azel: You too… want me to open the gate?」

About Craymen (1) – [クレイメンの話]

Edge: クレイメンの事は… 気の毒だと思ってる
Azel: どうして?
敵だったんでしょ、あなたの
Edge: 最初はそう思ってたけど…
正直、わからなくなったんだ
いろんな人が、戦いで死んでいったけど
敵を倒せばすむってもんじゃなかった

Translation.

「Edge: About what happened to Craymen… I’m sorry
Azel: Why?
Wasn’t it your enemy?
Edge: I thought so at first, but…
Honestly, I don’t know anymore
Many people died in the battles, but
Defeating the enemy turned out not to be the answer」

About Craymen (2)

Azel: 私にとっては、大切なひとだったの
それだけは、わかってほしい…

Translation.

「Azel: To me that was a special person
I just want you to understand that…」

[Note: “special” may be translated as “very important”, since 大切 is often used in this meaning].

About Azel (1) – [アゼルの話]

Edge: なんだか、感じが変わったね
…別人みたいだ
Azel: え…?
Edge: 前は、もっと冷たい感じだった
とりつくしまがなかったって言うか…
Azel: 本当は、それが普通なの
でも、私は、規格外のドローンだから
Edge: 規格外?
Azel: そう
塔と同調するための、特別製
だから、物思う力が強すぎる…
Edge: ふうん…
僕は、今の方が普通だと思うけどな
Azel: … … …
Edge: あ …
何か、まずい事言った?
Azel: 違うの
どう答えたらいいか、わからなくて
確かに、何かを感じたんだけど…
Edge: そうか…
そのうちわかるようになるよ、きっと

Translation.

「Edge: Somehow, the feeling of you has changed
…You are like a different person
Azel: Eh…?
Edge: Before, I felt you were colder
No island to cling to, I would say…
Azel: In truth, that is normal
But I’m a non-standard drone, that’s why it is so
Edge: Non-standard?
Azel: Yes
Created specifically to synchronize with the Tower
Because of that, the power of thinking is too strong
Edge: Hmm…
I think you are more normal now than before, though
Edge: Oh…
Did I say something wrong?
Azel: Oh no, no
I just don’t understand how to answer
However, I certainly felt something…
Edge: I see…
I’m sure you will understand it soon」

[Note. “No island to cling to” is an idiom, here it means “unapproachable/distant/difficult to communicate with”].

About Azel (2)

Azel: 規格外品の思考は、人間に近いの
でも、身体は違う…

Translation.

「Azel: My thinking, of a non-standard type, is almost the same as human’s
But my body is different…」

[Note. More literal translation:

「Non-standard’s thinking is almost the same as human’s
But the body is different…」].

About the dragon (1) – [ドラゴンの話]

Azel: どうやって同調してるの?
Edge: 同調って、何と?
Azel: あなたのドラゴンと
Edge: 僕には、そんな事できないよ
普通に乗ってるだけさ
Azel: でも…
あなたは、普通の人間と違う感じがする…
力が目覚めたから、わかるの

Translation.

「Azel: How do you synchronize?
Edge: Synchronize with what?
Azel: With your dragon
Edge: I can’t do anything like that
I’m just simply riding
Azel: But…
I feel that you are different from ordinary humans…
I know that, since my powers have been awakened」

About the dragon (2)

Azel: あなたとドラゴンの間に、何かを感じるの
命のつながりのようなものを…

Translation.

「Azel: I sense something between you and your dragon
Something like the connection of life force…」

At the Excavation Site, before the funeral ceremony

FAR, Azel

Edge: (アゼルは、じっと発掘物を見ている)

Translation.

「Edge: (Azel, intently looking at the excavated items)」

NEAR, Azel

Azel: もう、大丈夫…
逃げたりしないから

Translation.

「Azel: Now it’s alright…
I will not run away again」

In the camp at the Seekers’ Stronghold

Before the funeral ceremony

FAR, Azel

Edge: (つらかったんだろうな、アゼルも…)

Translation.

「Edge: (It must have been tough for you, Azel…)」

NEAR 1, Azel

Azel: もう、大丈夫…
逃げたりしないから

Translation.

「Azel: Now it’s alright…
I will not run away again」

NEAR 2, Azel

Azel: よくしてくれた人もいたのに
塔のせいで、死んでしまったわ
あの子も… もう、いない…

Translation.

「Azel: There were people here that were kind to me, but
Because of the Tower, they died
That girl too… Now is not there…」

After the funeral ceremony

FAR, Azel

Edge: (早く決着をつけなければ…)
(彼女のためにも!)

Translation.

「Edge: (I must end this soon…)
(For her sake!)」

[Note.
In the English version the second sentence is translated as 「For her sake as well!」.
But, as far as I understand, particle も in the end of this sentence doesn’t mean “also”, as it usually means, but used for emphasizing the reason, that Edge is doing it for Azel.
も can be used this way in combination with ために, forming “ためにも”, - “tamenimo”].

NEAR 1, Azel

Azel: 私は、地の底で何千年も眠っていたわ
あのひとが目覚めさせてくれるまで…
でも、その闇の中で…
あなたを見たような気がするの
Edge: 僕らは、発掘所で一度会ってるんだよ
まだ、僕が帝国に雇われてたころにね

Translation.

「Azel: I was sleeping under the ground for many thousands of years
Until that person woke me up…
But, in that darkness…
I have a feeling, that I saw you [/more literal: 「I saw you, I have such feeling」]
Edge: We met once at the Excavation Site
When I was still working for the Empire」

[Note. Azel calls Craymen “あのひと” (“anohito”), which may be translated as “that human” or “that person”. She also calls all other humans in a similar manner, not by their names or designations, except Edge, - Azel often calls him by his name].

NEAR 2, Azel

Azel: 夢を見てから、何か…
ふしぎな感じがする…
Edge: え? 具合が悪いのかい?
Azel: 違うわ… そういう時は、すぐわかるから
Edge: ふうん…
塔とつながったせいかな?
Edge: あ… ごめん
Azel: いいの… たぶん、そうだと思う
Edge: …で、どんな感じ?
Azel: 眠っていた機能を、無理に開かれたみたい
苦しいわけじゃないけど…
少し… 怖い

Translation.

「Azel: After that dream, for some reason…
I feel strange…
Edge: Eh? Are you feeling unwell?
Azel: No, this is something different… Otherwise, I would know immediately
Edge: Hmm…
Can it be because you connected to the Tower?
Edge: Ah… I’m sorry
Azel: No, it’s fine… Perhaps you are correct
Edge: …So, what kind of feeling is it?
Azel: It is as if dormant functions were forcibly unsealed
It is not painful, but…
I’m a bit… Scared」

NEAR 3, Azel

Azel: 少し前まで、たくさん人がいたのに…

Translation.

「Azel: Not long ago, there were many people here…」

[Note. In both instances when Azel calls seekers “people”, it may also be translated as “humans”].

NEAR 4, Azel

Azel: 塔に行くのは、今でも怖いけど…
何もわからないままでいたくないの

Translation.

「Azel: I’m still afraid to go to the Tower, but…
I don’t want to stay like this, not knowing anything」

At the Excavation Site, after the funeral ceremony

FAR, Azel

Edge: (早く決着をつけなければ…)
(彼女のためにも!)

Translation.

「Edge: (I must end this soon…)
(For her sake!)」

NEAR 1, Azel

Azel: 塔に行くのは、今でも怖いけど…
何もわからないままでいたくないの

Translation.

「Azel: I’m still afraid to go to the Tower, but…
I don’t want to stay like this, not knowing anything」

NEAR 2, Azel

Azel: 力が目覚める前…
アトルムに乗って、いろんな所を見たわ
でも、大地を歩いたことは、なかった…

Translation.

「Azel: Before my powers awoke…
I saw many places riding Atolm
But walking the land, never…」

It’s interesting that Azel seems to be aware of her encounter with Edge at the excavation site, even though she was still asleep. Presumably their minds connected somehow, rather than it being that she literally saw him. There is the vision where her eyes are open, but I didn’t realise this was intended to be from Azel’s perspective (as well as Edge’s) at this point in time.

As I understand this, Azel saw Edge not literally with her physical eyes (she was still sleeping), but it seems to be clairvoyance.

She saw him with her soul.

She is shown standing in white space, which tells that it is happening in “another world”.

After Azel was woken up, she was in “depressed” mental state, so she “forgot” about meeting Edge, but after her emotions and feelings were “unsealed”, her “spirit arose”, she “recalled” the meeting.

It seems to be shown in the last part of FMV in the Tower, - after Craymen’s corpse fell to the ground, Edge’s blinking eye in inverted colors is shown. And after this Azel shifted her gaze, as if she suddenly recalled something, she was not looking at Craymen’s corpse, her eyes widened, as if she was emotionally affected, then she sighed and fainted.

Edge didn’t see that vision at the Excavation Site. But, obviously, he felt “something”. And they were really like in synch, but in spiritual meaning.

And something else, speaking about this FMV. There is that guardian monster, - its eye was not glowing red, unlike all other monsters of this type, and it acted as if it was not hostile, but just wanted to release Azel. It didn’t kill Edge immediately, and then didn’t attack again until Edge picked up the rocket launcher.

1 Like

Also, I forgot to mention, about “computerized” Edge in Panzer Dragoon Orta, maybe it will help to clarify the situation with Azel meeting him.

“Computerized” doesn’t mean that Edge lost his human form. It doesn’t mean that he is in the form of computer code.

There are enemies and vast surreal landscapes in Sestren, - they are “material”, but they are “computerized”, because they exist only in Sestren.

Orta also was “computerized” when she was in Sestren, but she was able to go back from there and become normal, “de-computerized”.

But if Edge is trapped in Sestren, then he is “computerized” permanently, but it is possible to see him there in his normal form.
Something like “Fused Edge”, but not “fused”, not “resurrected”, but real, like Orta when she was in Sestren, - she was real, but, in the same time, “computerized”.

Everything, what is in Sestren, is “computerized”, because cybernetic vocabulary is used for describing Sestren in Panzer Dragoon Orta. But it is not in a literal sense, - it is still like “other world”, and everything there is “material”. But conceptually it is different from Sestren that is in Saga.

Sestren in Panzer Dragoon Orta is a place “where all memories are gathered”, but Edge is not a “memory”, but a real human trapped there.

Also, as I’ve mentioned in the .docx document, while Edge’s name is not given (at least in the main story), Akihiko Mukaiyama, director of Panzer Dragoon Orta, basically confirmed that Edge is Orta’s father; Polygon interview:

“I don’t think [the Western release] is clear about whether Orta is the daughter of Edge and Azel. They purposely left that ambiguous”.

And also, I’m planning on posting translations of all narration screens from the main story of Panzer Dragoon Orta, but after the important information regarding Saga, or maybe along with it.

1 Like

That’s an impressive document @Nickolay, nice work! I haven’t been able to read everything, but you make a lot of good points.

Did you ever have the feeling that the English writer was sometimes missing parts of the translation? From what I remember, the English writer didn’t know Japanese and was given a more direct Japanese->English translation of the script. In the prototypes, we can still see some parts of that direct translation.

For example, Azel’s dialogue in the “FMV, the Control Room” section. In the English version she says “Sestren will not be able to escape”. This seems like a mistranslation, as she’s actually saying that she’ll destroy the Tower so the “people” (I assume she meant the Seekers) can escape. And the line afterwards is also very different, as if there was no translation available and the English writer had to guess what Azel was saying.

Curiously, the prototype actually has a different, more accurate, translation for this:

Original version
Azel :When you leave for Sestren, I will destroy this Tower. Sestren will not be able to escape.
Edge I won’t let you. Azel, what will happen to you?
Azel I am… the only one… that can destroy the Tower.

Prototype
Azel : When you leave for Sestren, I will destroy this Tower. Then they can escape safely too.
Edge : I won’t let you. …What will happen to you, Azel?
Azel : I do not know, but I will be okay… It is not that I will die…

Another example of how the prototype is different from the released version:

Original
Impurity detected… Pursue at once… Impurity located… Activate Shelcoof…
Too many mutants are born these days.
Impurity near, eliminate it… Impurity reacquired… Eliminate it once more…
…Activation of D Type 01… confirmed…

Prototype

Error… delete failure… Pursue at once… Point confirmed… Activate Shelcoof
Too many mutants are born these days.
Sealing of an error, verified… Revival of the error, verified… Seal it once more…
…Activation of D Type 01, confirmed…

Original version

Now, it shall end…
This voice… the dragon!?
The will of the ancients… It is now with me… The Divine Visitor must destroy me. …That is why I have returned.

Prototype
Now, it shall end…
This voice… the dragon!?
The ancient ruins, Everything is now with me… Now, kill me, ‘Absolute Guest’. …That is why I have returned.

In those examples, you can see that the translation in the prototype is more direct, but not really fit for an English audience. So it was rewritten for the release.

Thank you, @Draikin!

I don’t think there are any missing parts.

But, in my opinion, the problem with the English translation is that the translators decided to rewrite some parts of in-depth lore for no reason. The problem is not in stylization or in something that was “lost in translation”, but in the wrong information.

Some changes are understandable, - the addition of “She’s beautiful” and “I love you”, and similar (and these additions just highlight what was already in the game).

Omitting Shella’s death in the dialogues, since seemingly it could raise game’s age rating (or maybe they just didn’t want to make the situation more depressive).

Translating monster’s names differently, since some of them are really difficult to translate properly, not just writing how they are pronounced in Latin letters.

And other not very important changes.

But some changes are completely unnecessary.

Like completely different Atolm descriptions, especially for the 3rd and 4th forms, which are important; adding information about him being “Guardian of the Ancient Age” and that “his appearance strikes fear into hearts of the most hardened warriors”.

Changing Azel’s line at the Excavation Site, that she saw many places riding Atolm before Craymen woke her up, not before her powers awoke.

Or omitting in what degree Azel was incomplete, which is said in the Japanese version (basically she was 99% complete).

Or renaming “Relive Room”, “Dragon Relive” and “Lagi Ranch”; changing the descriptions of Solo Wing forms.

These and similar unnecessary changes complicate the understanding of what’s happened before the events of Saga, connections to the other games, and in-depth lore in general.

Changes in the descriptions of Sestren Dragons and Sestren itself make it more difficult to understand what could have happened to Edge in the end (these descriptions imply that he could have survived).

And there were no reasons to hide the fact that many (if not all) of Enemy Data entries are written by Edge himself (which makes Enemy Data entries his diary or journal, “logbook”).
For example, descriptions of some of Edge’s dragons are almost the same as in the Japanese version, but just the fact that they were written by Edge was omitted.

As I understand, because they had changed some parts, they decided to place the removed bits of information somewhere else.

For example, in the English version, in the camp in the forest, after Edge brought Azel back, Azel says about “merging” with the Tower, just once about “synchronizing”, and the dialogue about the dragon is a bit different. But Zadoc says about “synchronizing”, while in the Japanese version he says about “connecting”.

In the camp at the Seeker’s Stronghold when Azel says that she feels strange, the phrase is about the same things, but in the English version they’ve added something from themselves, “After that vision, …no, dream…”, - in the Japanese version this phrase is simpler, without “vision”.

And Edge says that they met once, when Azel was still sleeping, but in the Japanese version he says “When I was still working for the Empire”. In general, phrases are the same, just some bits are different.

Or in some places in the English version, Azel calls Craymen not by his name, but “that man” or “he”, which is closer to the Japanese version.

And seemingly, because they had changed Atolm descriptions, they decided to “add” him in dialogues. But it doesn’t fit in, - for example in the first dialogue in the Tower, when Azel says “Yes, but I’m alright now, Edge, because I believe in you”, while in the English version these phrases have no connection at all, because of Atolm.

And some other phrases became disconnected because of such changes.

And there are other similar instances, when information from some parts from the Japanese version surface in completely different places in the English version.

Or, vice versa, when they translated “difficult” parts properly, how they really should be translated from Japanese.

Or Azel’s epilogue, for example, is the same, line for line, with some minor edits.

I don’t want to “blame” anyone, but from what I can see, the translators knew everything, they had the scripts for everything, but decided to make changes for no reason, just because of their personal “interpretations”.

Judging by what Yukio Futatsugi said in the interview to USGamer, he didn’t know anything about difficulties with translating the game to English.

So, it is just some strange myth.

And once again, Azel’s epilogue is the same.

If translators didn’t know the script, then they basically “nailed” it, in detail, without knowing anything, which was not the case. They knew everything.

Also, Akihiko Mukaiyama, director of Panzer Dragoon Orta, Polygon interview:

“The U.S. localization director took some liberties on the Panzer Dragoon universe. […] Everyone seems to have a slightly different interpretation, so naturally the localization team has their version and it gets filtered through their perspective. There was different ways of interpreting PDS and there’s even more differences in Orta”.

About the FMV in the Control Room before Sestren.

“People” or “humans” are seekers, Azel calls them so.

There is the translation of the whole dialogue in the .docx document, section 1.1, paragraph 22, page 8.

1 Like

It basically comes down to the difference between “translating” and “localizing”. It’s become more of a topic of debate now that people have become more aware of differences between the Japanese and English versions of localized games. Some of the changes you mentioned do seem odd, like Atolm’s descriptions. I’m not sure what reason they could have for making changes there, but perhaps it’s also possible that they weren’t always working from the same script?

It is very difficult to explain this without comparing the texts side by side.
And I haven’t posted all translations, that may be needed for it, yet.

I don’t think it is because of localizing.
Even if the translators didn’t change anything, everything still would be understandable for the Western audience.

And I don’t think they had several different scripts.
As I understand, the Japanese developers were very dedicated to the project, they wanted the game to be the best it could be.
So, I don’t think they provided different scripts, since it could have delayed and overcomplicated the Western release.

Moreover, judging by what Yukio Futatsugi said in the interview to USGamer, seems like the translators had the feedback, so they could consult with the Japanese developers.
And it seems that all changes in the script were coordinated.

I would even say that the translators delved into the lore.
They mixed bits of information from different places. When they made changes, they made them on purpose. There is logic behind these changes, they are very specific and, in some cases, are interconnected.

I’m not speaking about the parts that were “lost in translation” or localized, but only about parts that were changed on purpose without any reason, especially important lore-related ones.

Changes that break the lore, like Atolm descriptions, - seem to be “liberties” and “interpretations” that Akihiko Mukaiyama mentioned in the Polygon interview.

I haven’t seen the prototype of Saga myself, but from your examples, especially from the FMV in the Control Room, I can see that the translators had all needed information from the early stages of translation.

And also, as far as I remember, some parts of the text that were already in English in the Japanese version were also changed.

And, once again, I’m not “blaming” the translators, I’m not saying that the translation is bad, I think it is good. The problem is that some parts have nothing to do with what is really happening in the game. And “Easter eggs” (and similar “additions”) were also completely unnecessary.

Since it is difficult to explain all that, I have an idea.
I will make more in-depth post about my opinion on the situation with changes in the English version.
I won’t do it any time soon, though, - but only after all translations needed for it are posted, so everything will be seen clearly; and after all other important information regarding Saga and other Panzer Dragoon games.

All main dialogues from the first visit to the Tower

FMV. Arrival, dialogue with Craymen

(Arrival)

Craymen: アゼルはそこに下ろしたまえ

Craymen: こっち だ…

(In the room with screens)

Craymen: また君に借りができたな
見たまえ
帝国軍の最後の切り札、
旗艦『グリグオリグ』だ
人間の扱う物ではないのだ…
あの戦艦も、塔も… 旧世紀の全てが
Edge: …おまえはどうなんだ
自分だけ特別扱いか?
Craymen: …ついて来たまえ
君に見せたい物がある

(In the corridor)

Edge: 水?
Craymen: ウルへと通じている
…これがこの『 塔 』と呼ばれる
遺跡の役目なのだよ
すでに死んだ星に
人類が生き続ける環境を作ること…
我々は目に見えない旧世紀の力によって
守られているのだ
Craymen: ここに来るまでに見ただろう
あの大量の攻性生物を
(Edge nods)
Craymen: あれも塔から生まれ出たものだ
彼らは生態系の管理者なのだよ
その行動の全てが
人類を滅亡から守るためのものなのだ
Edge: 守るだって!?
一体どこが!!
Craymen: いいかね
君も帝国に関わってきたのなら
わかるだろう
彼らが行ってきたのは
終りない資源の浪費と戦争だけだ
…塔によって再生しても、
我々人類はそれをあっという間に
消費してしまう
誰かが… そう、
人間以外の誰かがコントロールせねば
我々は自分の首を絞め続ける
永遠にな
そう考えた旧世紀の賢人達に
全てが仕組まれたのだ
塔や攻性生物を含む、この世界の全てが…

(Near Azel, after the corridor)

Craymen: むろん、旧世紀の人間達にも反対者はいた
両者の長い戦いの時が過ぎて
…最後に反対者によって作られたものが
これだ
塔を外部から破壊する事は難しい
だが、その内部に潜入し、
コントロールを奪う事はできる
特に、それが攻性生物ならばな
…アゼルはそのために作られた兵器なのだ
皇帝はそれを知り、彼女を探した
私はそれを知り、彼女を強奪した
そう、彼女を…
アゼルを旧世紀の使命から解放し、
新たな目的を与えるためにな…

Edge: 帝国軍!?
Craymen: 彼らは手に入る力
全てを手にしようとしている
愚かな事だ
ただの兵器ですら扱いきれず、
その力に振り回されているというのに
だが、もう止められる者は誰もいない
…いや、君ひとりだけだ
Edge: 僕にどうしろと?
Craymen: 何も…
私は、ただありのままを話しただけだ
これからどうするか
君自身が決めればいい
Edge: 僕は…、
僕はまだおまえを許したわけじゃない

Translation

「(Arrival)

Craymen: Put Azel down there

Craymen: This way… [/or 「There…」]

(In the room with screens)

Craymen: Again, I owe you, I guess
Look at this
The Imperial Army’s last trump card,
The flagship “Grig Orig”
No human should handle anything like this…
That battleship, and the Tower… It all belongs to the Old Century
Edge: …What about you?
You have preferential treatment, right?
Craymen: …Come with me
I want to show you something

(In the corridor)

Edge: Water?
Craymen: It flows to Uru
…This is, assuredly, the role of these ruins, that are called the “Tower”
On the already dead planet
It creates an environment, suitable for living of mankind… [/“living” or “survival”]
We are protected by the invisible power of the Old Century

Craymen: I’m sure you saw them before you got here
Those amounts of aggressive creatures
(Edge nods)
Craymen: They also were born by the Tower
They are, assuredly, the caretakers of the ecosystem
Their actions, all
Are, assuredly, to protect mankind from extinction
Edge: To protect, you say!?
What are you talking about!?
Craymen: Doesn’t it make sense?
You too have been involved with the Empire
So you must have realized
All they’ve been doing
Is nothing more than just endless waste of resources and war
…Even if the Tower regenerates everything,
We, mankind, will consume it all
In the blink of an eye
Someone… Yes,
Someone, who is not a human, must take control
Or we will continue to strangle ourselves
Forever
That’s what the wise people of the Old Century planned
Everything was set up
The Tower, and the aggressive creatures, everything in this world…

(Near Azel, after the corridor)

Craymen: Of course, there were also dissenters among the people of the Old Century
A long period of battles between the two sides had passed
…In the end, something was created by the opposing side
This
It is almost impossible to destroy the Tower from the outside
But it is possible to infiltrate inside,
And take away control of it
Especially if the infiltrator is an aggressive creature
…Azel is, assuredly, the weapon that was created for that purpose
The Emperor knew about it, and searched for her
I knew about it, and stole her
Yes, she is…
I freed Azel from the mission she was given in the Old Century
And gave her a new objective…

Edge: The Imperial Army!?
Craymen: The power they possess
They are trying to obtain it all
How foolish
They cannot even handle usual weapons,
And they are swayed by this power
But, now there is no one left who can stop them
…No, you are the only one
Edge: What do you want me to do?
Craymen: Nothing…
I just told you the truth, that’s all
What to do from now on?
You should decide by yourself
Edge: I…,
I still haven’t forgiven you」

[Notes.

About star or planet.
“星” (“hoshi”) usually translates as “star”, but it also means “heavenly body”, and can be used for referring to a planet.

About “strangle ourselves”.
This phrase “自分の首を絞め” (“jibun no kubi o shime”) means “to strangle oneself”, but the general meaning is something like “to dig one’s own grave”, and may be translated differently. The official translation “to destroy ourselves” is correct, but “to strangle ourselves” is more literal.

About the opposition.
Craymen thought that Azel was created by the opposition, not stolen by them.
It is not true, but Craymen was not lying, he was sure he was right. Craymen knew about the opposition, knew about Azel, so maybe he also knew that there were opposition’s laboratories at the Excavation Site, and because Azel was found there, he also thought that she was created by the opposition.

Also, in memory structures in Underground Ruins of Uru the opposition is called “反対派”, “opposition faction”, but Craymen calls them “反対者”, which is “opponent” or “dissenter”].

Dialogues from gameplay section

Dialogue 1 (right after the FMV)

Craymen: …帝国軍はすでに塔の登頂部から
このコントロールエリアを目指して
侵攻中だ…
Edge: クレイメン… おまえとのケリは
帰ってから必ずつけてやる
Craymen: 私も… 君が無事に帰って来ることを
期待している…

Translation

「Craymen: …The Imperial Army is already at the top of the Tower
They are heading for this Control Area
Edge: Craymen… I’ll definitely deal with you
When I return
Craymen: And I… Look forward to seeing you
Return safely…」

Dialogue 2 (Tower – Bottom Floors)

Edge: 何だここは… これが塔の中心部…?
Craymen: この塔は、そういった空間の連なりで
できている
上へ向って飛びたまえ
最短ルートのゲートはすでに開けてある

Translation

「Edge: What is this place… Is this the center of the Tower…?
Craymen: This tower consists of connected spaces, such as this one
Fly to the top
The gate to the shortest route is already open」

“Dialogue” 3 (Edge is near the needed gate, Tower – Bottom Floors)

Edge: (あれだな…)
(クレイメンの言っていたゲートって…)

Translation

「Edge: (That one…)
(The gate that Craymen was talking about…)」

Dialogue 4 (Tower – Hangar #1)

Edge: (…予想以上に帝国軍の動きが速い…)
(それに数も…)
Craymen: 帝国軍はすでに塔の上層部を制圧した
敵の機動部隊が君のところに向かうまで
そう時間はないぞ…
上層部に出て、敵の本隊を叩け
Edge: 自分はそこで高みの見物というわけか
Craymen: 私としても不本意だがな
今は君に期待するしかない…

Translation

「Edge: (…The Imperial Army is moving faster than I expected…)
(And their numbers…)
Craymen: The Imperial Army has already established control over the upper levels of the Tower
There is not much time left before enemy’s mobile units reach you…
Go to the upper levels, and hit enemy’s main forces
Edge: So you will just sit back and watch, right?
Craymen: I am unwilling to do this
But now I have no choice but to count on you…」

Dialogue 5 (Tower 11F)

Edge: 奴らの本隊まで、あとどのくらいだ!
Craymen: ちょうど真ん中あたりを抜けて
その上の層に出たところだ
急げよ、エッジ君
次の部隊がそこに向かっているぞ…

Translation

「Edge: How far is it to their main forces!?
Craymen: Just fly through the center area
It is on the level above the one you have just reached
Hurry, Edge
The next squadron is heading towards that location…」

Dialogue 6 (Tower – Upper Floors)

Craymen: そこが塔の一番上の層だ
指揮艦の存在を確認した
いよいよだな…
Edge: かん違いするなよ
おまえのための戦いじゃない

Translation

「Craymen: That is the top level of the Tower
The presence of the command warship was verified
This is it…
Edge: You got something wrong
It is not the battle for your welfare」

FMV. The Imperial Army is in the Control Room

Azel: ダメだ!
The Emperor: 役者がそろったようだな
クレイメン、貴様には罪を償ってもらう
そっちのハンターは我々の手で
徹底した実験が必要だ
ドラゴンの力を使えるのだ
普通の人間じゃあるまい
(Craymen shoots at the Emperor)
The Emperor: 皇帝たる私に銃を向けるとは、クレイメン
その罪は万死に値する
(The Emperor fusillades Craymen)
The Emperor: 永かった…
ようやくこの力を我が物にできる…
さあ、アゼルよ、扉を開けるのだ!
我々人類の輝かしい未来への扉をな!

Edge: な… 何だ…

The Emperor: 今のは…

Craymen: アゼル… そうか、塔を…

Craymen: エッジ君… 後は…
頼む

Translation

「Azel: It’s a trap!
The Emperor: It appears that all actors have gathered together
Craymen, you will pay for your sins
As for this hunter, we will
Conduct all necessary thorough experiments
You can use the power of the dragon
You are not an ordinary man
(Craymen shoots at the Emperor)
The Emperor: What, to point a gun at me, the Emperor, Craymen?
This sin – deserves death
(The Emperor fusillades Craymen)
The Emperor: It’s been so long…
At last, I will make this power my own…
Now, Azel, open the gate!
The gate to the glorious future for us, mankind!

Edge: A… What is…

The Emperor: What was that…

Craymen: Azel… I see, the Tower…

Craymen: Edge… Do the rest… [/more literal “Edge… The rest is…”]
I ask you」

[Note. In both instances Craymen calls Edge not exactly “Edge”, but “Edge-kun”, which is polite].

Addition

From the Japanese version of the first Panzer Dragoon game, Sky Rider’s last words

奴を…行かせるな…。
行けば、再び…
…頼む。

Translation

「Him…Don’t let get there… .
If gets, then again…
…I ask you.」

Sky Rider’s and Craymen’s last words are structured in a similar manner, and the last phrases are the same, -“頼む”, “tanomu”. It means “to ask someone to do something”, and may be translated as “please”, if fits the context.

Also, Sky Rider’s last words from the English manual are closer to what he says in the Japanese version of the game:

“Don’t… let the Dark Dragon return to the tower… if that happens, the horror of the Ancient Time….”.

From the Official Guide for the first Panzer Dragoon game, from page 26

Comment to the screenshot with Sky Rider

カイルにドラゴンを託した旧世紀人。
彼とその青いドラゴンは、旧世紀の時代の戦いに何らかの形で関係していたのかも知れない。

Translation

「A person of the Old Century who entrusted the dragon to Kyle.
Perhaps he and his Blue Dragon are somehow connected with the battle from the Old Century period.」

[Note: “person”, or “human”, or “man”].

Comment to the screenshot with the Tower

数千年の眠りから覚めた旧世紀の「塔」。
かつて、この星を滅ぼしかけた戦いが、今再び始まろうとしているのか?

Translation

「Old Century “Tower” awakened from thousands of years of sleep.
Is the battle that once almost destroyed this planet about to begin again?」

3 Likes

@Nickolay

This is all fascinating. Are you on the discord server? I would love to talk with you more about these theories and your translations. It’s long bugged me that some parts of the lore are inconsistent in the American version.

Would you have any interest in helping with other translations? Such as lore from guidebooks?

Thank you very much, @Skiad_Ops_Retro!

I’m not on Discord server. Unfortunately, lately I don’t have much time, due to some circumstances, and it is difficult to choose time for online conversations, so ask questions here or via private messages. I will answer as soon as I can.

About other translations – yes, I am planning on translating lore parts from the guide and poster for the first Panzer Dragoon game, some bits of information from “Die Welt Von Panzer Dragoon Zwei”, and information from the Japanese manual for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Also, if it is possible to get scans, I would like to translate important parts from “Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG Official Guide” (Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG Official Guide Front Cover).

And maybe even something from “Panzer Dragoon Azel Novel”, if there are scans (Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Panzer Dragoon Azel Front Cover).

And if there are other official lore-related materials about any Panzer Dragoon games, I can help with translations.

But I don’t promise to do everything at once, though.

2 Likes

Atolm descriptions

Atolm Dragon

アトルムドラゴン1

禁止区域で戦った。
このドラゴンも、伝説と同じく、敵を追う光の矢を武器にしている。
一度に数十本もの光の矢を放つ攻撃が、特に危険だ。

Translation:

「Atolm Dragon 1

Encountered at the Forbidden Zone.
This dragon, similar to the ones from the legends, also uses arrows of light, that chase enemies, as a weapon.
The attack with shooting dozens of arrows of light at once is especially dangerous.」

Atolm, Orbs

アトルムドラゴン2

こいつとは、ウルで再び戦うことになったが、この時も決着をつけることはできなかった。
出会うたびに、新しい力を身につけているようだ。

Translation:

「Atolm Dragon 2

I had to fight with this thing once again in Uru, but this time too, I wasn’t able to settle the dispute.
Each time we come across, he appears to have new powers.」

Atolm, Ancient

アトルムドラゴン3

アゼルが乗るアトルムの最終形態。
巨大な雷撃兵器を装備して襲ってきたが、どうにか倒すことができた。
彼女の唯一のパートナーを奪うことになってしまったが…。

Translation:

「Atolm Dragon 3

The last form of Atolm that Azel rode.
He was equipped with a huge lightning weapon and attacked with it, but I was able to defeat him somehow.
She ended up being deprived of her only partner… .」

Atolm, Orbs II

アトルムドラゴン4 – “Atolm Dragon 4”, the description is the same as for Atolm Dragon 3.

Arangata description

マサーン

塔から生まれ出た純血種がゾアの森に根づいたもの。
森の上空に出ている部分を攻撃しても、力の源である根が活動している限り効きめがない。

Translation:

「Masaan

Pure blood class that was born by the Tower, took root in the Forest of Zoah.
Attacking the part that is in the skies above the forest won’t have any effect as long as the roots, that are the source of energy, are active.」

Infested Grig Orig description

寄生グリグオリグ

帝国軍旗艦グリグオリグに攻性生物がとりついた姿。
皇帝砲はまだ生きていたが人間が操っているわけではなく、ただやみぐもに撃っているだけだった。

Translation:

「Parasitized Grig Orig

The Imperial flagship Grig Orig, possessed by aggressive creatures.
The Emperor Canon was still functional, but it was not operated by humans, it was just shooting mindlessly.」

[Note: “mindlessly” may also be translated as “blindly” or “aimlessly”].

Glide Dragon description

量産ドラゴン

ゾアの森で戦った。
これは帝国アカデミーでの呼び名だ。昔、ドラゴンが帝都に現れた時、
大量に目撃されたらしい。
こいつも、旧世紀生まれの血統書つきなのだろう。

Translation:

「Mass-produced Dragon

Encountered in the Forest of Zoah.
The name – is a common name used at the Imperial Academy. Seemingly, the dragons were sighted in large numbers when they appeared in the Imperial Capital a long time ago.
I think they are also with a pedigree that originates from the Old Century.」

Glide Dragon description from the Official Guide for the first Panzer Dragoon game, page 89

量産型ドラゴン

ドラゴン系攻性生物の量産タイプ。
空中戦用に開発された生物兵器だ。

Translation:

「Mass-produced Type Dragon

Mass-produced type of dragon group of aggressive creatures.
It is a biological weapon developed for aerial combat.」

About aggressive creatures, from the Japanese manual for Panzer Dragoon Saga, page 57

攻性生物

旧世紀の残した人類の天敵。元々は、旧世紀の戦争に利用された道具といわれるが、定かではない。
確かなのは、彼らの存在が人間の生存を脅かす凶悪な生物ということだけである。
その多くは硬い甲皮に覆われ、高度な知能と戦闘能力を併せ持つ。
近年研究が進むにつれ、攻性生物に「純血種」と「変異種」の2種類が存在することが判明している。
純血種はハンターの間で「血統書付き」などと呼ばれ、遺跡の側に生息し、白い甲皮と強力な攻撃方法を持つ。
一方、変異種は群で周回し、移動先の環境に適応したさまざまな近似種が見受けられる。

Translation.

「Aggressive Creatures

Natural enemies of mankind, left behind by the Old Century. It is said that originally they were used as tools in the war in the Old Century, but it is uncertain.

What is certain, is that they are atrocious creatures, whose existence is threatening to survival of humans.
Many of them are covered with strong shell, and have both advanced intelligence and combat abilities.

With progression of studies in recent years, 2 categories of aggressive creatures have been defined, - “Pure Blood Class” and “Mutated Class”.

Pure Blood Class aggressive creatures are called “with a pedigree” among hunters; they live near ruins, and have strong white shell and powerful offensive techniques.

Whereas Mutated move around in groups, and various similar species, that adapted to the environment to which they migrated, can be seen.」

Wow. Thank you so much for this. I feel relieved the translation was good in and on itself. I also heard for years it was supposedly bad and that the two translators often just guessed. Which would seem weird as who would hire translators who didn’t master the language they were translating from? Also this game was the most expensive video game in history until shenmue so I doubt they would’ve cut on this.

I’m glad it helped!

The official translation is good, but unfortunately the translators decided to rewrite some parts of the lore.

From “Azel – Panzer Dragoon RPG Official Guide”

About Azel, page 17

Text in English – “Character of Azel”

Paragraph 1
数千年の時を越えて目覚めたアゼルは、自分を解放してくれた者のために戦い続ける。

Translation:
「Awakened after thousands of years, Azel fights for the person who freed her.」

Paragraph 2 - 発掘所で眠りにつくアゼル, -「Azel, sleeping at the Excavation Site」

ベッドに半分身を沈めるようにして、旧世紀の時代から数千年間の眠りについていたアゼル。
クレイメンはどこからかアゼルの存在を聞きつけ、帝国の手に渡るよりも早くアゼルを連れ去ることに成功する。
そんな外界の動乱を気づく様子もなくアゼルは眠り続ける。
クレイメンの手によって長い眠りから開放されるときまで…。

Translation

「Half-submerged in the bed, Azel has been sleeping for thousands of years since the Old Century period.
Craymen had learned about Azel’s existence from somewhere, and succeeded in kidnapping Azel before the Empire could get hold of her.
Unaware of the upheaval in the outer world, Azel continues to sleep.
Until the moment she is freed from the long sleep by Craymen…… .」

[Note:
“learned […] from somewhere” may also be translated as “heard […] from somewhere”].

Paragraph 3 - ウル・地下遺跡にて, - 「In the Underground Ruins of Uru」

塔に向かおうとするエッジを阻止するためにアトルムドラゴンで迎え撃つアゼルだったが、ふたりともドラゴンから投げ出されて地下遺跡に落下してしまう。
遺跡内でエッジと出会ったアゼルは、この地から脱出するためにふたりの力を合わせることを提案した。
アゼルが旧世紀から受け継いでいる知識が、ふたりで協力するほうがいいと判断したのだ。

Translation

「To prevent Edge from going to the Tower, Azel intercepted him with Atolm Dragon, but both of them were thrown off from the dragons and fell down in the Underground Ruins.
After crossing paths with Edge in the ruins, Azel suggested to join their forces in order to escape from that place.
Azel inherited the knowledge from the Old Century, and it was decided that it would be better for both of them to cooperate.」

Paragraph 4 - ウル脱出、そして… 「Escape from Uru, and then……」

地下から脱出したアゼルは、エッジをただの敵とは思えなくなっていた。
それでも自分を解放してくれたクレイメンに刃向かう限り、エッジは倒さなければならない存在となる。
そのことを告げると、アゼルはアトルムドラゴンと共に去ってしまった。クレイメンの元へ。
この先、いったい何が待ち受けているのかもわからぬままに…。

Translation

「After escaping from the underground, Azel could no longer think of Edge as just an enemy.
Nevertheless, Edge will have to be killed if he opposes Craymen, who freed her.
After telling him this, Azel left with Atolm Dragon. To Craymen’s location.
Not knowing what awaits her in the future…… .」

About Edge, page 18

Text in English – “Character of Edge”

Paragraph 1
仲間の仇を追うエッジの旅は、運命の流れによって大きく変貌することになる。

Translation:
「Edge’s journey to avenge his companions will be greatly transformed by the flow of fate.」

Paragraph 2 - ドラゴンとの出会い, - 「Meeting with the dragon」

ツァスタバの銃弾を受けながら奇跡的に一命を取りとめたエッジだったが、発掘所地下で攻性生物の群に囲まれてしまう。
その危機を救ってくれたのがドラゴンだった。
翼を持つ巨大な姿におびえるエッジに対し、ドラゴンはその背に乗るようにうながすのだった。

Translation

「Miraculously survived after being hit by Zastava’s bullet, Edge was surrounded by a group of aggressive creatures at the bottom of the Excavation Site.
It was the dragon who saved him from that critical situation.
Edge was frightened by the huge figure with wings, but the dragon urged him to ride on its back.」

Paragraph 3 - 少年時代のエッジ, - 「Edge’s childhood」

傭兵部隊の隊長だった父親を幼い頃に亡くし、傭兵の仲間に育てられた。
傭兵部隊がエッジの家族であり、なかでも隊長は父親がわりとしてエッジに接したのだった。
隊長のエッジに対する思いは、彼の日記から読み取ることができる。
そんな強い絆で結ばれた仲間を目の前で失ってしまったからこそ、エッジはクレイメンを追い続けるのだ。

Translation

「Edge lost his father, who was the captain of the mercenary group, at a very young age, and was raised by the mercenary companions.
The mercenary group was Edge’s family, and the captain tried to be as a father to Edge.
Captain’s attitude towards Edge can be learned from his diary.
Edge saw his companions, with whom he had such a strong bond, killed in front of his eyes, - because of this he pursues Craymen.」

About Craymen, page 24

Text in English – “Character of Craymen”

Paragraph 1
策士か、反逆者か帝国に反旗をひるがすクレイメンの真意どこにあるというのか

Translation:
「A tactician? A traitor? What are the true motives behind Craymen’s rebellion against the Empire?」

[Note: “tactician” may also be translated as “intriguer” or “schemer”].

Paragraph 2 - クレイメン率いる特務部隊, - 「Special Forces led by Craymen」

帝国軍特務部隊を率いるクレイメンは隊員のから信頼が厚く、忠実で優秀な部下が数多くいる。
なかでも副官であるアーウェンは、常に冷静な判断を下す職業軍人である。
他の部隊で問題を起こしたツァスタバがクレイメンに恩義を感じているのも、彼の信頼度の高さを物語っている。

Translation

「The leader of the Imperial Army Special Forces, Craymen is highly trusted by the troops and has many loyal subordinates, including outstanding ones.
Among them, Arwen, his aide, a professional soldier who always makes rational decisions.
What also tells about high level of confidence in Craymen, - is that Zastava, who caused problems in other unit, feels indebted to him.」

Paragraph 3 - 若かりし日のクレイメン, - 「Craymen in his younger days」

かつてのクレイメンは、技術研究を帝国軍特務部隊のアカデミー審査官であった。
そのためにクレイメンは旧世紀の遺物に詳しくなり、そのときに得たなんらかの情報が、今回の反逆に結びついたのではないかと思われるのだが。

Translation

「Formerly, Craymen was the Academy Patent Examiner in the field of technical research for the Imperial Army Special Forces.
Thus, Craymen had become very knowledgeable of the artifacts of the Old Century, and it seems that some information he acquired at that time resulted in his rebellion in the present.」

Paragraph 4 - クレイメンとの再会, - 「Reunion with Craymen」

仇と狙っているエッジと対面するクレイメン。
彼の口から語られる意外な事実が、エッジをさらなる戦いへ導くことになる。

Translation

「Craymen faces Edge, who seeks revenge.
Unexpected facts told him by Craymen lead Edge into another battle.」

2 Likes

Correction of translation, post #34

Parasitized Grig Orig description

“The Emperor Canon” is “The Emperor Cannon”.

About Aggressive Creatures

The last sentence.

Instead of this: “Whereas Mutated move around in groups, and various similar species, that adapted to the environment to which they migrated, can be seen.”

this:

“Whereas Mutated move around in groups; and various kinds of related species, that adapted to the environment to which they migrated, can be seen”.

Alternative translation:

“Whereas Mutated travel in swarms; and various groups of related species, that adapted to the environment to which they migrated, can be observed”.

Drone Record, the Japanese version

Description in inventory (from COMMON.DAT)

ドローンレポート, – 「Drone Report」

旧世紀の人型創造物に関するシーカーの研究書, - 「Seekers’ study of humanoid creatures of the Old Century」

The main part (from MENUBK.BIN)

ドローン自律構造体に関する記録

はじめに

スキアド・オプス・ランディと「編み人」ピネハスによる記録。

以下に記すのは、ウル近辺で発掘した情報系構造体に収められていた記録の解読である。
その内容は、「ドローン」と呼ばれる創造物に関するものである。
しかし、このようなものが実際に発掘されたという記録は、「編み人」の間には伝わっていない。

ドローンの機能

他種自律構造体との同調・制御。
複雑かつ巨大な構造体と同調するにはそれに比例して高度な思考レベルが必要となる。
しかし、思考レベル80以上の個体の生産は、自我発生の可能性が極めて高いので、全面的に禁じられている。

自我発生による障害

自我発生症状をきたしたドローンは、以下の障害を併発する。

1)同調機能障害
2)論理パターン混乱
3)命令認識障害

これらの障害の修復は極めて困難であり、ほとんどの症例が廃棄処分となっている。
ただし、同調機能障害については、強度の心理的ショックによって修復する場合がある。

エネルギー補給

エネルギー消費量が極めて低いため、特定の場合(休眠状態からの再起動・ショックによる機能停止時など)を除き、外部からのエネルギー補給は不要である。

生産・稼動状況

思考器官の複雑さゆえに、生産数は微々たるものであり、重要度の高い生産施設の統括用として、優先的に配備されている。
また、高機能攻性生物の頭脳として利用する計画も進行中である。

Translation

「Records about Drone Autonomous Structures

Preface

Records by Sukiado・ Opusu・Lundi and “Compiler” Pinekhas.

What is written below is a deciphering of the records that were stored in the Information System Structures excavated in the vicinity of Uru.
The contents are about creatures known as drones.
However, no records have been circulating among “Compilers” about such objects have actually been excavated.

Function of Drones

Synchronization with other Autonomous Structures and control of them.
Synchronization with complex and huge structures requires a proportionally high thinking level.
However, producing individuals with thinking level higher than 80 is strictly prohibited because of extremely high possibility of genesis of ego.

Disorders due to the Genesis of Ego

Drones in condition of genesis of ego have the following disorders.

1)Synchronization dysfunction
2)Confusion in logic patterns
3)Order recognition impairment

Correcting these disorders is extremely difficult and in most cases such drones are discarded.
However, synchronization dysfunction can be corrected in case of strong psychological shock.

Energy Replenishment

The amount of energy consumption is extremely low, and aside from some specific circumstances (for example, rebooting from dormant condition, stopping functioning due to shock, etc.) energy replenishment from outside sources is unnecessary.

Status of Production and Operation

Because of complexity of their thinking organs, their production rate is very low, and they are prioritized for deployment to control highly important production facilities.
Also, plans are underway for using them as brains of advanced aggressive creatures.」

Notes

“Humanoid” may be translated as “human-shaped”.

“Deciphering” may be translated as “decoding”.

“Genesis of ego” may be translated differently, for example “development of ego/self”, “emergence of ego/self”, “outbreak of ego/self”, or any synonyms that suit better.

“Control highly important production facilities” may be translated as “supervise/coordinate highly important production facilities”.

“Advanced aggressive creatures “, - more literal is “high-performance aggressive creatures”.

Addition

Drone Report is mentioned in the list of all items in V-Jump’s unofficial guide for Saga

[Panzer Dragoon Legacy - V-Jump's Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG Guide Front Cover].

It is on the page 34, line 7 from the bottom of the page.

Name: ドローンレポート, - 「Drone Report」

Description: 旧世紀の人造生物に関するシーカーの研究書, - 「Seekers’ Study of artificial creatures of the Old Century」

Drone Report is not listed in an unofficial guide with black cover.

About an unofficial guide for Panzer Dragoon Saga (black cover; written by Famitsu)
[Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG Guide Book Front Cover]

About Azel, page 154

1 ) Most of the information on the page 154 is taken from the Japanese version of Drone Record (Drone Report), - text from the file MENUBK.BIN that is absent from the game.

There is nothing said about “drone autonomous structures” and genesis of ego in the game, and I haven’t seen anything like that in official materials.

In most cases slightly different terms are used in the guide:

• in Drone Report - “genesis of ego” (自我発生), in the guide - “ego-genesis disorder” (自我発生障害);

• in Drone Report - “thinking level” (思考レベル), in the guide - “thinking quotient/index” (思考指数).

It is said in the guide that drones can be repaired completely from the ego-genesis disorder in case of psychological shock, but in the Drone Report it is said only about correcting synchronization dysfunction.

2 ) In the guide it is said that Azel listened to Craymen because of ego-genesis disorder, but it is not true: until the last part of the game she was more like a simple drone, “no island to cling to”. It is straightforwardly said several times in the game, and even by Azel herself.

And, according to the logic from this guide, if she had ego-genesis disorder from the beginning of the game, it would be impossible for her to control Atolm; and she wouldn’t listen to Craymen, because of order recognition impairment. This is self-contradictory.

And I seriously doubt that Edge’s eye in inverted colors was shown for no reason in the FMV in the Tower before Azel lost consciousness. But there is nothing written about it in the guide.

Moreover, there is nothing said about Azel’s incomplete imprinting, which must be the reason why she listened to Craymen.

3 ) I doubt that Azel was reprogrammed by the “Destruction Faction”, and that they added a will to destroy the Tower and functions to open the path to Sestren.

Azel was created to control the Tower, - Zadoc, and Azel herself, said so.
Craymen thought that she was created by the opposition to take away control of the Tower, not to destroy it.

In the Tower everything is designed for Azel, she was stolen with her “bed”, where her name was written, and she was named not by the opposition.

She didn’t have a will for destroying the Tower; at least there are no signs of it in the game, as far as I can see.

Judging by the information from the memory units from Uru, it is not an easy task to create a drone (before Azel was created, there were at least 16 failed prototypes), and I suppose reprogramming is also not easy.

She was stolen when her imprinting was still incomplete, - maybe the opposition timed the moment of stealing, so they could just “brainwash” her into thinking what they needed without doing any technical alterations.

So, it seems that she had all her abilities from the beginning, without the opposition’s reprogramming.
Azel was left in the opposition’s laboratories in the state she was stolen.

And, to be more precise, maybe the opposition couldn’t even bring her to the laboratories, since they are located much further underground, and the opposition just brought Azel to the vicinity of their hideout and had to leave her there for some reason.

4 ) About “Edge’s will”.

In the last part of the game, in the Tower, it is clear that Edge didn’t want to go to Sestren, he went only because of Azel.
And in the Control Room before going to Sestren, Edge offered Azel to go away. He didn’t want to go to Sestren, it wasn’t his will.

Excavation Site

Excavation Site #74 is actually Excavation Site #4, “4番発掘所”.
It is called so 2 times in the first cutscene.

The number may be important.

Also, the location that is called “Excavation Site #4” in the English version, is “発掘所周辺”, - “Near the Excavation Site” or “Periphery/Outskirts of the Excavation Site” in the Japanese version.

About Solo Wing forms, page 14 of the second part of the guide

Prototype Dragon is listed in the paragraph about the forms from Zwei. But the description is correct, that he is an enemy from the first game.
Maybe it was done just for aesthetic reasons, but still.

Skydart is spelled as “Skydirt”. It is not a big deal, but it is a bit strange, since this guide is by Famitsu, and Famitsu worked on “Die Welt Von Panzer Dragoon Zwei”, where it is spelled correctly several times.

About Craymen

The theory that Craymen is Kyle Fluge originated from this guide.

In my opinion, taking into account that this guide is unofficial, and that there are inaccuracies, just the fact that this theory is mentioned there, cannot be a proof that Craymen is Kyle.

Even the authors themselves question their own theory and don’t insist that this is true.

The theory is not baseless, there are clues (written information and visual “symbolism”) in the game and in some official materials that support it, and I investigate it myself.

I don’t know how long it will take me to figure it out (and I am not sure that I will be able to, or that there will be any results), so I will write some facts that potentially may be useful.

[Note: all facts are taken from the official materials, mostly from [ sega.co.jp ]. I will post full translations along with corresponding posts or separately sometime later]

1 ) Before enrolling in the Imperial Academy, Craymen was a simple Imperial citizen.

Kyle Fluge was a hunter. However, it seems that hunters are not considered to be “simple citizens”.

It is written on [ sega.co.jp ] that those, who want to make a fortune quickly or just to go away from the Empire’s control, run away and become hunters or join caravans.

In the same time, it is said that hunters, since they hunt aggressive creatures, have some knowledge of the Old Century.

The first Panzer Dragoon game begins in a remote area, at the frontier.
That area is called “竜の遺跡”, “Dragon’s Ruins”; it is about 97 km from the Imperial Capital, if I am correct.

From the Japanese version of the first game, from the first FMV, when the hunters saw the Imperial battleship:

すごい…
帝国の空中戦艦か。
でも、なんでこんな辺境に?

Translation:

「Wow…
The Imperial Army aerial warship?
But why in such a remote area? [/or “But why at the frontier?”]」

So, if Craymen was Kyle, - then, before enrolling in the Academy, a hunter Kyle somehow had to become a “simple Imperial citizen” Craymen.

There can be many assumptions, - for example, that Kyle gained resources, changed his identity (or not) and returned to the Empire.

On [ sega.co.jp ] it is written that Kyle has not been seen after the events of the first game.
Something similar is written about all protagonists.
About Lundi – that he was sighted among Seekers.
About Edge – that his whereabouts after the events at the Excavation Site #4 are unknown, but he was sighted in Garil Desert and in the Town of Zoah.

Edge was alive after the Town of Zoah, - he was in the Tower, Seekers’ Stronghold (both are hidden locations), burning forest of Zoah, and then again in the Tower.
It may be written this way just to avoid spoilers.

Or those who were monitoring everything lost a sight of Edge, and it may be a hint that they also lost sight of Kyle after the events of the first game.
Also, Edge is usually called a hunter.

Or maybe Kyle was transported to a very remote area and couldn’t get back, or decided not to go back.
But it also may be that developers just silently removed him from the future events.

2 ) To activate the Tower from the first game, all engines from all aerial battleships of the 2nd Armored Regiment were attached to it.

The unit, where Zastava caused problems before he was taken to Special Forces, - is the 2nd Air Cavalry Regiment.

Maybe the 2nd Armored Regiment was restructured into the 2nd Air Cavalry Regiment, since there were no more engines for heavy battleships.

3 ) On [ sega.co.jp ] it is written that since many soldiers supported Craymen’s ideas and left the Empire, there must be some serious reasons behind his actions.

4 ) Excavation Site from the episode 3 from the first Panzer Dragoon is #9.
If the numbers are given sequentially, then excavations at the Excavation Site #4 began earlier.

5 ) In the first FMV in Saga, during the footage of detonation in the Imperial Capital, the first flash is coming from the water, seemingly from the same direction where the Tower was in the first game. This flash has a “broken” pattern that is very similar to the pattern of exploding Tower from the first game.

And maybe it is not a coincidence.
Judging by what the Emperor’s subordinate says in the first FMV in the Japanese version of Saga, Craymen destroyed the Imperial Capital by detonating the underground ruins.
Maybe these ruins were a part of the Tower from the first game, and it is what is left after the destruction of that Tower.

Also, Craymen was not a renegade before the events at the Excavation Site #4.
In the Japanese version Captain said to Edge that he heard about Craymen, the leader of the Black Fleet, and that he thought it was him; and that Edge should pursue him and bring back the “artifact” (Azel), in order to survive.

There are other facts, but I will write about them sometime later, - there is a lot of information to recheck.

There may be other inaccuracies in this guide, but I also need to recheck information regarding them.

According to Wildman, that guide is not really inaccurate. Li Vis is mentioned there before it was in Panzer Dragoon Orta.

From Wildman on our Discord:

The book’s credits say that Sega supervised and provided material support.
In addition, more than 10 Team Andromeda core staffs are listed in the credits under their personal names, including Mr. Futatsugi, Mr. Kusunoki, Mr.Sakai, Mr. Iwade, and Mr.Yokota, Mr. Okunari, Mr.Mukaiyama, etc.

For example, the nation Li Vis was first published in this book and is included in Orta. If this is a writer’s fan-fiction, then there are copyright issues, which means that almost all of the material is sourced from material by Team Andromeda.

Of course, not all of the text was produced by Team Andromeda, as it was written by the Famitsu editorial team. However, they are not mere fan-fiction either, as they were officially supervised by Team Andromeda.
For example, Kyle-Craymen is mentioned in official documents as a manual for PS2 AGES.

I apologize if I wrote something wrong, I just wanted to understand what has happened.

As I know, Wildman works for Sega, and I’m not going to argue with him, - of course, he knows better about the situation.

I’m not saying that everything in the guide is incorrect, but… Still, there are inaccuracies that contradict the game: information about Azel, even if Drone Report is taken into account; the number of Excavation Site is incorrect, - #4 mentioned not only in the game, but on

[https://web.archive.org/web/20010902224542/http://www.sega.co.jp/sega/saturn/andro_hp/yougo/yougo_a.htm ] (the last paragraph, about Edge, “第4発掘所”).

And I’m also suspicious of some other things, for example, that Sestren is an AI.

As I see it, Famitsu were given some arts, information, including what was cut from the game, but still canon to the Panzer Dragoon universe (Drone Report may be an example).
And Famitsu did a plot analysis, but they made some mistakes.

Can it be something like this?

As I understand, the developers of Orta also took some concepts that were cut from Saga.
For example:

• Elder Ponta – concept of Juba [ Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Juba ];

• Spherical Wormriders’ helmets – in the official guide on the page 111, upper screenshot, the Town of Zoah, there is a humanoid figure with a round helmet (at the background, near the reddish tent). This screenshot is also in this unofficial guide on the page 20, but it is very small.

• In the interview from the official guide, about concepts of Azel:

• “[…] the earlier versions of Azel were much more frightening and intimidating […]”;

• “[…] in our first illustrations, she had a hole in her torso […]”.

• Abadd’s design suits the description: Panzer Dragoon Legacy - Abadd

If I am correct about it, can it be the same with Li Vis?

I’m not sure how it works from the legal standpoint, it is a collaboration, so maybe it is a normal practice to supervise unofficial, but still not fan fiction, content that is going to be sold, to ensure that there won’t be anything that may harm the image of the original work. But if it is really an unofficial plot analysis, then the owners of the original work can’t insist on correctness of everything.
But I know that usage of official content is allowed under license.

Also, I didn’t say that the theory about Craymen was not true.

As the developers said in the interview in the official guide: “[…] there were many things we couldn’t include in the game. But because we did depict other things with great detail and care, I think players who diligently gather all the info and hints scattered about the world will be able to imagine what was left unsaid.”

It is what I tried to do, - to find clues in official materials, outside of Famitsu guide.

And there is something else, I wanted to write about it later, thought.

On [ sega.co.jp ], in the block with questions to developers, someone asked about the release of Famitsu guide. And in the answer there is a phrase “Who is Craymen?..”. It may be an indirect confirmation, but, I’m not sure if the answer was serious.

I haven’t seen SEGA AGES manual, but if there, and, especially, in internal Sega documents, Craymen is directly (not indirectly) called Kyle, - then, my “investigation” is really meaningless, I guess.

And, once again, I apologize if I wrote something wrong.

1 Like