Possible explanation for change of art direction in Orta

[quote=“Lance”]
…because if technologically advanced civilisations were not allowed to grow, the planet could not be threatened.[/quote]

That’s a good starting point. Work from there. Try different theories (taking into consideration things I’ve said in the past).

The Towers’ functions were not singular, but multilayered.

There was talk a while back on this board about “rebooting the system…”

And also remember what Abadd says in the chamber when he’s all alone…

The Ancients propably wanted to return and rule the planet imo. I mean, if someone is so “nice” that for the “good of the planet” he’s willing to sacrifice so many human lives, then he wouldnt be selfish enough to save himself and plan to return on the planet one day as soon as their plans are completed :slight_smile:
And once they returned I doubt they would destroy their own technology (as to not have any technologically advanced civilizations)
They just wanted to terraform the planet as to have a good habitable environment for themselves. By keeping humans in near extinction they also knew that nothing would threaten them once they returned since their power would be unmatched by anything the remaining humans would have been able to create… Why keep any alive at all though? Well to that I answer that the Ancients obviously were scientists and no scientist wants to see any species lost for good (and also the Ancients themselves might be humans as well so perhaps there was also a few traces of “kindness” left as to not totally wipe out the rest of their kind…)

That’s the general idea of the way I see it…(though it’s nearly 4am here so maybe I’m not seeing clearly atm :P)

PS:I know it’s not thought out too in depth but like I said…4am :stuck_out_tongue:

You really do like teasing us, don’t you Abadd? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that I understand what you mean by the Towers’ functions being multilayered rather than singular. I accept that they had various different functions, but if you mean that they have various different purposes than I concede that I must be overlooking something.

Anyone care to fill me in on the “rebooting the system” idea…? :slight_smile:

Oh and Abadd, if you mean what Abadd (the character) says just after he’s realised that he can’t resurrect his masters, I think that would be the dialogue I’ve pasted below. Off the top of my head I can’t remember another scene where Abadd is alone, so I thought I’d provide it so that everyone can be equally mystified :slight_smile:

Resuscitation program initiated…
Failure.
Resuscitation program initiated…
Failure.
It is too late for my ancient masters.
Resuscitation is 100% impossible.
My mission has failed…
I am alone…
Primary objective aborted.
I must fulfill my mission… I must find a way…

What’s the best way to store fresh meat? Either put it in a refrigerator or keep it alive. >:)

Seriously, the only reason I can think of for keeping humanity out of extinction’s way, was because the ancient ones were human themselves, or highly evolved sentient beings (such as genetically engineered uber-humans who use 100% of their brain power) who believed they deserved to dominate the will of lesser races. Heh.

Alex: Your post above is pretty much my own opinion on the Ancients’ plans, except I’ve never been so sure that they were trying to oppress humankind specifically or trying to keep any humans alive specifically. I thought it was possible that the Towers had simply been left to guard the world, and that they would indescriminately “deal with” anything that threatened the delicate balance of reparation that they were creating.

I theorised that the Ancients who built the Towers simply didn’t want the war-devastated planet to die, and that they were prepared to sacrifice anything - even the lives of the countless generations to come after them - in order to achieve this goal. The Towers would obviously be the means to that end. I reasoned that, because these Ancients could save themselves through whatever kind of stasis/hibernation/cryogenic preservation they had access too, they did; and they left Drones like Abadd behind, with the task of resurrecting them after the global healing. (Which, as we know, could never actually be achieved.)

That was my take on things up to this point, anyway…

Close, but no cigar.

You are not a winner!

Try again soon!

:smiley:

As for the Towers, let’s just say their purpose was a multi-phased one, to clarify. And that purpose was directly related to the dragon program… (que dramatic music… dum dum dum!!!)

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]The Ancients propably wanted to return and rule the planet imo. I mean, if someone is so “nice” that for the “good of the planet” he’s willing to sacrifice so many human lives, then he wouldnt be selfish enough to save himself and plan to return on the planet one day as soon as their plans are completed :slight_smile:
And once they returned I doubt they would destroy their own technology (as to not have any technologically advanced civilizations)
They just wanted to terraform the planet as to have a good habitable environment for themselves. By keeping humans in near extinction they also knew that nothing would threaten them once they returned since their power would be unmatched by anything the remaining humans would have been able to create… Why keep any alive at all though? Well to that I answer that the Ancients obviously were scientists and no scientist wants to see any species lost for good (and also the Ancients themselves might be humans as well so perhaps there was also a few traces of “kindness” left as to not totally wipe out the rest of their kind…)

That’s the general idea of the way I see it…(though it’s nearly 4am here so maybe I’m not seeing clearly atm :P)

PS:I know it’s not thought out too in depth but like I said…4am :P[/quote]

I don’t think this is the case at all. I personally think that the Ancients completely devastated their world to the point where it was virtually uninhabitable by anyone, therefore, they created the Towers and a faction of them went into hibernation. They probably didn’t expect any humans to survive when the world was nearly destroyed the first time, which is why they decided it was best to go into hibernation and see the fruits of their labors. But as we all know, humans did survive through the chaos…but survival had a steep price…they literally forgot that they were the Ancients, over time, and regressed into primitive tribes.

I also do not think they expected the revival of their planet to take this long - somewhere along the line, the Towers began to malfuntion and were not performing their assigned duties according to program. This lead to a unwanted regression in the ecosystem. This is the reason why Abadd says, “I have woken prematurely” - even though, little does he realize, that he, and his masters, overslept.

Hey, it’s always good to know that I’m wrong :smiley:

(If that was aimed at me and not Al3x or Geoff, that is. This could get confusing…)

But I have no idea whatsoever about how the Towers tie in with the dragon program. (Assuming that the dragon program = the black dragon symbol entity that started off in Sestren and used to inhabit the physical dragon.) Although it always struck me as odd that the primary Sestren AI’s forms were both related to dragons as well; the way it appeared first as a golden dragon symbol and then as an evil-looking Solo Wing. I considered that they might have been twin AIs, but that was just vague speculation…

I’ll try and come up with something later on, after I’ve refilled on coffee :slight_smile:

Hmm… I wrote in my previous post that they wouldn’t destroy their technology once they were back but perhaps I was wrong…after all the Heresy Program WAS part of their plan, it was just activated prematurely…
So maybe all they wanted to do REALLY was just to protect the planet…

Phase one - terraforming begins after the fall of the ancient age and the annihilation of the world

Phase two - regeneration of the world continues and at the same time every threat to the environment is dealt with by use of the biomonsters, humans are driven to near extinction as a side effect of that.

Phase three - regeneration is completed, Heresy program is activated.

Phase four - Heresy program destroys the Towers.

Phase five - Abadd ressurects his Ancient Masters and they return to a fully healed and perfectly habitable environment without the threat of their own creations (towers/monsters since they were dealt with by the Heresy program). This might also show they ARE humans and that’s why the monsters if they remained would attack them on sight as well. That’s why they had to be dealt with prior to their return…

But if that’s more or less the case, what are their plans after that?

Anyway just random thinking trying to put together what we know of the Ancients’ original plans…And, you guessed it, it’s 4:30am :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Hmm… I wrote in my previous post that they wouldn’t destroy their technology once they were back but perhaps I was wrong…after all the Heresy Program WAS part of their plan, it was just activated prematurely…
So maybe all they wanted to do REALLY was just to protect the planet…

Phase one - terraforming begins after the fall of the ancient age and the annihilation of the world

Phase two - regeneration of the world continues and at the same time every threat to the environment is dealt with by use of the biomonsters, humans are driven to near extinction as a side effect of that.

Phase five - Abadd ressurects his Ancient Masters and they return to a fully healed and perfectly habitable environment without the threat of their own creations (towers/monsters since they were dealt with by the Heresy program). This might also show they ARE humans and that’s why the monsters if they remained would attack them on sight as well. That’s why they had to be dealt with prior to their return…

But if that’s more or less the case, what are their plans after that?

Anyway just random thinking trying to put together what we know of the Ancients’ original plans…And, you guessed it, it’s 4:30am :P[/quote]

The Heresy Program was not created by the Ancients who created the Tower network. If it was, then Sestren would not have considered it an ‘impurity’. I think the Heresy program was created by the rebel faction within the Ancients - the same ones who were against the creation of the Towers in the first place.

Kadamose, you say “not at all like that” and yet you didn’t say anything much different apart from elaborating on things I skipped since they’ve been said before (all the malfunctioning of the towers) and the Ancients not expecting the humans to be there. (the thing u said about humans = ancients was mentioned as a possibility in my post as well)

And to that I answer that they DEFFINITELLY were aware of humans’ existence since if they didn’t think there would be humans there would be NO NEED for biomonsters to protect the planet like that. The only species capable of harming the planet were the humans.

And Abadd did wake up prematurelly, I’m sure the Ancients didn’t make an exact time schedule, things could always go wrong with such huge tasks causing them to slow down so I bet Abadd was meant to be awaken not at a set time period but whenever the regeneration of the planet was completed. However he was awaken by the Empire before that as we saw in Orta.

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Phase one - terraforming begins after the fall of the ancient age and the annihilation of the world

Phase five - Abadd ressurects his Ancient Masters and they return to a fully healed and perfectly habitable environment without the threat of their own creations (towers/monsters since they were dealt with by the Heresy program). This might also show they ARE humans and that’s why the monsters if they remained would attack them on sight as well. That’s why they had to be dealt with prior to their return…[/quote]

Ah, I forgot all about the theory of the Heresy Program being intended to “turn off” the Towers when they were no longer needed. That would extend the theory I posted above to its logical conclusion… the question is, is it correct? que drumroll

Kadamose could you not quote so long posts please? You could just say you are replying to me.(This is just me, not ordering you, asking you, I’m not a mod or anything)
Either way I’m pretty sure we’ve seen that the Heresy Program was actually part of their plans and it was just awakened prematurely for some reason (either malfunction or altered by the rebels or something else)
I might remember wrong, anyone else?

Edit: I guess it wasn’t a fact but just a theory like Lance said…Dunno

Still if it wasn’t part of their plans at the beginning why would Sestren converse with it and say all the things it says near the end of PDS about the program defying the ancient masters and returning with a human etc…?

Which part exactly is it identified as an impurity in?

[quote=“Al3xand3r”]Either way I’m pretty sure we’ve seen that the Heresy Program was actually part of their plans and it was just awakened prematurely for some reason (either malfunction or altered by the rebels or something else)
I might remember wrong, anyone else?[/quote]

Well if the Heresy Program was indeed a part of the Towers’ greater schedule - as Abadd implied above - then presumably it must have been created by those same Ancients. The fact that it looks exactly like one of the primary Sestren AI’s own forms does hint that they had the same origins, too.

… so, regarding the nature of the Towers: were they there to repair the world, or did they destroy the world in the first place?

Now I’ve always assumed that the Ancient Age ended in war, and that the Tower network was set up in order to salvage the devastated environment. But there’s always that haunting legend that “the Towers burnt three continents in a night”. So could the first phase of the Towers’ programme have been some massive planetary cleansing of the Ancients’ enemies?

We know that the Ancient wars must have been phenomenally hard-fought, so maybe such a hand-made apocalypse was the only way to ensure victory? The Towers’ creators could have then gone into hibernation while the Towers repaired the world that they had destroyed, so that the Ancients could rule it without opposition.

I’m just speculating here, and going on the assumption that at least one major detail of my previous theory was wrong…

Actually, Kadamose, Al3xand3r is closer in his theory than yours. Sorry =\ (Still not right, but closer.)

And Lance… not bad. Not bad at all :smiley:

See, the trick here is not only trying to figure out what the Ancients’ plans were, but what went wrong with them.

Here’s what you need to figure out:

1. Who the Ancients were and what was their relation to the world

2. What was the point of Sestren

3. What was the point of the Towers (and on a related question, what were the bio-monsters for?)

4. What was the purpose of the Drones

5. What happened to the Ancients

6. What is the Heresy Program

7. What went wrong with the whole plan?

8. Who is Kenny?

Something else that’s just struck me (I havent’ really considered Abadd’s post yet, but before I forget):

Do we actually know that Abadd-the-character’s “masters” belonged to the same group of Ancients that created the Towers? It’s a pretty fair assumption, but nonetheless we might be taking it a little bit for granted…

Abadd have you seen my terraforming theory in another thread?It was written very simply just to express a random thought so it deffinitelly wasn’t as well thought out as things here but still it might have some things right…

and lol @ who is Kenny :wink:
I had never watched South Park by then and painfully searched the land for clues on Kenny and his killer mind you… I hate TA (or rather the US’s translators of PDS) for that one :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Edit: I’ll quote the theory here but everyone except Abadd (Well actually you too Abadd) feel free to discount anything that conflicts with things said in this thread and also feel free to ignore it since it’s been discussed before, I’m just wondering if anything in it is correct, not questioning things told in here by it. Here goes:

Question: Does the Abadd on this forum have any connection with Team Andromeda and the creation of the Panzer Dragoon storyline? I’m just asking, because his last responses seemed as if he knew the true storyline. I’m not asking out of disrespect…just curiousity.

If the above does not apply, then how is my theory wrong, exactly? Elaborate, please.

My answers to Abadd’s little “questionnaire”:

The Ancients who created the Towers must have been at least relatively powerful in the Ancient Age, as they built the most sophisticated technological apparatus (i.e. the Towers themselves). According to some quotes, these Ancients were apparently opposed in their own time by groups who did not want the Towers to be built. This might imply that the Towers’ purpose was malign, which would fit in well with the quote that said the Towers eventually “burned three continents in a night” (and thus my Tower/apocalypse theory above).

We know that the primary Sestren AI operated the Towers, and that the Sestren System itself ceaselessly monitored the world. It could have been monitoring the world so that the AI would be better equipped to heal the environment via the Towers; that would make sense. (At the same time it might have been keeping tabs on how much of a threat humanity was becoming, for similar reasons.)

As I said above, the towers’ original point may have been to wipe their creators’ enemies off the face of the earth (but only those vague quotes really imply this). Their point after that was apparently to purify the world and repair the environmental damage that had happened before (for whatever reason, war or the Towers themselves). The purpose of the pure-types that they produced seemed to be to protect the environment from any and all possible threats. (And possibly to stop humankind from really getting anywhere in the meantime).

They were probably multi-purpose tools originally, but Abadd’s final purpose was to “resusscitate” his masters, who were probably the ones who created the Towers. They evidently wanted personal survival after the planetary healing process was complete, and the fact that they had planned to go into hibernation hints that they were either the ones who caused the worldwide devastation, or that they knew their Towers were going to make the world pretty inhospitable in the meantime.

Whoever built the Towers probably went into hibernation / stasis; whoever didn’t build the Towers presumably got the worse half of the deal and became the current human race, eternally oppressed by the Towers.

The entity that was meant to forcibly turn off the Towers after the planetary healing was completed? It said itself that its purpose was to “return the world to the hands of the people”, so that could mean the slumbering Ancients just as easily as it could mean the current human races.

Possibly: Sestren hadn’t been able to finish its planetary repair job by the allocated time that the Heresy Program was meant to go active. That would explain why it was fiercely opposed to the Heresy Program performing this forceful shut-down. If the planet wasn’t ready for habitation yet, because the Towers had become worn down / were damaged in the past, Sestren might seriously be unhappy with the Heresy Program trying to bring the whole thing to a close. Which it did anyway.

The previous Divine Visitor. Obviously.

:slight_smile: