NiGHTS into Dreams? ? in HD ? XBLA, PSN, Windows download

Alright, I sent them a support request. Hopefully someone at Sega will take notice if they get a few of these.

In related news i guess i got the NiGHTS fever and bought a used copy of JoD on amazon.

I heard there where some complaints by NiGHTS fans about it? Anyone here has played it ?

Nice, I’ll contact them tomorrow as well. I also made this thread on the NiD forums about contacting support:
http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum/topic/4407-contacting-sega-about-the-control-problems/

You could say that… I think there’s a thread somewhere on this forum about the game.

I’ve played Journey of Dreams. My thoughts on JoD can be found in this topic: forums.thewilloftheancients.com/ … php?t=3272

[quote=“Windrider”]In related news i guess i got the NiGHTS fever and bought a used copy of JoD on amazon.

I heard there where some complaints by NiGHTS fans about it? Anyone here has played it ?[/quote]

Journey of Dreams is sort of a mixed bag. The environments are wonderful, charming and endearing to observe. The music is very nice on the ears (on par with Nights Into Dreams). The downside is: unfortunately, the major levels are split up into various side missions. These missions split up the game into different game play segments. To give you an idea:

Level 1: Pure Valley

1st mission - Chase Mission/First Encounter with Donbalon
(You fly through the main level like “NIghts Into Dreams” although it is vastly different (you chase after a key for a few laps until the level ends).

2nd mission - Link Challenge
(chase after an octopus flying through its rings until the level ends)

3rd mission - Fluffy Catch
(Save a bunch of Nightopians by paralooping them.)

4th mission - River Rescue
(Race down river rapids rescuing Nightopians until you reach the bottom.)

5th mission - vs. Donbalon (Will’s 1st Boss Stage)

I’d only recommend the game if you are a true Nights fan though. If not: just stick to Nights Into Dreams. I give it a 7 out of 10.

We appear to be making some progress with the support tickets, with Sega saying they’re now looking into the problem. Doesn’t have to mean anything yet but it’s something.

Meanwhile, I got all the achievements. It’s still a great game and while the controls hurt the replayability, everything else about the game still offers a really unique experience. It’s definitely worth the money and I really hope it manages to sell.

I find it hard to believe that something so fundamental to the game could have been overlooked like this. Testers must have brought this to the attention of the developers, so either the developers simply don’t care or it was a rush job.

I just sent a brief support ticket to Sega Europe with a link to Draikin’s Youtube video. I’ll post Sega’s response when I get it. I hope these control issues get fixed in time for the PC release.

[quote=“RYB”]I find it hard to believe that something so fundamental to the game could have been overlooked like this. Testers must have brought this to the attention of the developers, so either the developers simply don’t care or it was a rush job.

I just sent a brief support ticket to Sega Europe with a link to Draikin’s Youtube video. I’ll post Sega’s response when I get it. I hope these control issues get fixed in time for the PC release.[/quote]

Its certainly not a game breaker, far from it. To be honest, to me it really doesn?t matter, i have no trouble getting A ranks and the controls are more than precise enough to make you come back and play a little more, i?m really having a blast.

Getting A ranks wasn’t hard to begin with. What made NiGHTS so replayable, like any time attack style game, was the ability to perfect your runs and achieve absurdly high scores. Being restricted to 8 points of movement on an analog stick works against that. Instead of being able to form smooth ellipses or an elongated S curve as you fly from a lower point to a higher point, you are restricted to sharp angles and shapes that resemble something from geometry class. Instead of paraloops, you at best robotically construct fucked up octagons.

It’s not unplayable, but as someone who loved getting absurdly high scores and having an unlimited link chain in course 1 of Frozen Bell on the Sega Saturn release, being unable to fly smoothly in this version is very disappointing.

Most people aren’t as demanding and perfectionistic as we are. Sega probably felt that it just wasn’t worth it.

I’d much rather Sega focus on making quality games for a large niche audience than emulate Wallstreet, but the whole games industry has become infected now.

But you know what, I will highlight the fact that that’s just my opinion before anyone makes an issue out of it.

You’d think that if a series had a much larger audience things would improve as well but that’s not necessarily the case. If you still buy the product the maker doesn’t really care that much.

I’m glad it was re-released though.

I used to play with the D-pad - maybe i’m just being weird, or the saturn v2 contral pad was a lot more awesome than i thought, but the controls were still better using the dpad.

All the control problems are gone when you play the saturn remake version. I have been playing the remake version rather than the HD remake!!
It seems faster too…

[quote=“Windrider”]In related news i guess i got the NiGHTS fever and bought a used copy of JoD on amazon.

I heard there where some complaints by NiGHTS fans about it? Anyone here has played it ?[/quote]

I didn’t like it at all

So i got all trophys and have the game at 100%

But i still see “???” at the main menu, how do i unlock that?

EDIT: Got it, forgot about completing christmas nights

Picked this up as soon as it was available and forced a few friends to grab it as well.

Playing the HD remake made me realise that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I played the original on my Saturn. I’ve quickly learnt so many things that I didn’t know before. I didn’t even manage to get all C ranks on the original game and now I’m blasting A’s haha.

Anyway, for the average player, it’s great. I love that the Saturn is seeing some…love. As you get more in depth and need some precision the control issues do show.

It was a fine excuse to start a new bet with a friend of mine to see who could get the highest scores. I’ve already won 2 years worth of Xbox Live from him on the Sonic Generations 30 second time trials, looking for year number 3.

Out of interest, has anyone made any marks on the Xbox leaderboards? I noticed that (I think) no one had pushed over one million yet.

A patch has been released. Unless I’m suffering from some weird placebo effect it looks like the controls have been fixed. Draikin, can you confirm that the controls are now the same as the Saturn version?

I’m currently ranked 24th in the world for Soft Museum (Xbox 360 version). 300764 points.

Huh. I’ll have to give it a run as soon as I can. If Sega genuinely patched it, then I have to give them props for that, even as they’re shitting all over their Shining Force fan community.

Thanks for mentioning that Solo, I didn’t know about the update yet. I just tried the controls for a bit, and it does seem like they have been improved considerably. They now seem to be about the same as the Sega Ages version, which makes sense since it’s a port of that version to begin with. While that doesn’t actually make them the same as the Saturn version, I think we can definitely say that they’ve been fixed. And I could be imagining things, but but is NiGHTS actually moving faster than before? That could be the controls making it seem that way, not sure.

In any case, thanks to everyone who contacted Sega, and also Sega for listening to the fans. This is definitely a nice surprise.

EDIT: apparently the PS3 version hasn’t received an update (at least not yet).

It seems that way. If you try using the D-Pad to control NiGHTS, the movement is a bit slower. Perhaps this was the speed that NiGHTS moved at before the update was released?

[quote=“Solo Wing”]
I’m currently ranked 24th in the world for Soft Museum (Xbox 360 version). 300764 points.[/quote]

Nice! I’ve not managed over 300k on any levels as of yet. I’m around rank 80 for Splash Garden I believe. There’s a big gap between rank 1 and the following 10 ranks, the person at the top is smashing everyone else.

Oh excellent news about the patch!

80 is good going too. You might like to friend myself and others here on Xbox Live so we can compare scores. Here’s a topic for sharing Gamertags: forums.thewilloftheancients.com/ … php?t=2930

Chucked my gamertag up, will definitely add a few people.

Managed to get rank 29 for Stick Canyon on the Xbox Leaderboards, feeling pretty good about that.