NiGHTS into Dreams? ? in HD ? XBLA, PSN, Windows download

If anyone hasn’t bought this game yet, please do. Not only is it a fantastic game, but it’ll also determine the fate of future Saturn rereleases. If NiGHTS doesn’t sell, no Saturn game will. I just played through the game on XBLA, although I’ve yet to get an A rank on all the levels. The game actually looks better than I thought it would, especially in motion. Even today there’s really just nothing like this game, it’s really a unique experience and that alone makes it worth buying.

I will buy this game shortly. Draikin, I think your post is worth putting on TWOTA’s main page (with a mention of Panzer Dragoon Revival, of course).

I?m spreading the message on some portuguese gaming forums, both the petition and support PSN NiGHTS.

Great, thanks for your support Windrider.

I’m reading a lot of complaints from the fans regarding the controls. I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the controls, but it does seem like the controls are simply a lot less precise. DiGi commented on the problem:

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum/topic/4398-digis-final-thought/

As you can see DiGi acknowledged the problem but hopes the fans will still overlook the control issues. I’m willing to do so as we can’t let this fail. If the game is successful there may be a chance to get it patched (although patching it may of course ruin it for the players that got used to the current control scheme).

I’m currently testing the Saturn version on SSF and the XBox360 version, and aside from the noticeable better controls on SSF, I also have to say the graphical upgrade for the HD version is quite impressive. Quite simply, the game looks good on XBLA/PSN. To be able to say that of a port of a 16 year old game that was created on hardware that had poor support for 3D games is really something.

No problem, but i must say there are some REALLY pessimistic people out there. There is this guy who said he won?t sign simply because its wasting time since todays SEGA is just like a big pile of donkeys who won?t listen to fans ( inspite of evidence to the contrary, like the NiGHTS petition).

The controls are just a wee bit different. It’s still an excellent game.

Edit: I do think the Link timer is a little lower than it was though. Like, barely a tenth of a second but still noticable.

There’s a nifty little Easter Egg on the game just now too. After you’ve beaten it, play Mystic Forest again. Claris is rocking a nifty witch costume, and NiGHTS looks like a ghost.

I’ve yet to replay that stage, is this exclusive for the HD version?

goes to check

EDIT: apparently these existed in the PS2 version, but you had to change the system date to get them. This doesn’t seem possible on XBox360 at least if you’re connected to XBox live, and apparently I’m forced to login with my current profile when I start the game. Arcie, are you playing the PSN or XBox360 version?

You should be able to log in with another profile saved on the console’s harddrive if you purchased that game on that same console.

Yeah, but I want to save my progress on my main account…

I?m downloading NiGHTS now, i?ll give my opinions on it later.

I’ve played the game for a bit (ps3) and have noticed the controls are slightly less responsive. It’s a bit harder to fly into and up the loops, seamlessly that is. I am completely certain after having played the Saturn version so much. I’ve heard the analog uses only 8 directions as apposed to the Saturn analog using much more?

It’s not perfect but it sure is pretty to look at. I’ll just have to adjust and get used to the controls now. It’s been a bit frustrating trying to get those A’s!! :anjou_sad:

[quote=“legaiaflame”]I’ve played the game for a bit (ps3) and have noticed the controls are slightly less responsive. It’s a bit harder to fly into and up the loops, seamlessly that is. I am completely certain after having played the Saturn version so much. I’ve heard the analog uses only 8 directions as apposed to the Saturn analog using much more?

It’s not perfect but it sure is pretty to look at. I’ll just have to adjust and get used to the controls now. It’s been a bit frustrating trying to get those A’s!! :anjou_sad:[/quote]

I guess i?m gona be one of the people who will actually prefer the new controls since i played with regular D-Pad back in the day, hehe xD

There is just something about the Saturn analog controller I love. I’m probably blinded by nostalgia though… :anjou_happy: It just grips your thumb so well as apposed to the PS3 stick. And the 360 analog is slightly better (now look at me I’m rambling on!).

I looked into the problem a bit more and made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnj6aRzwk

It really does seem like the controls are simply being converted to those you’d get from a D-pad. I’m currently trying to rally the NiGHTS fans and see if we can get everyone to contact Sega’s support. Some constructive feedback can go a long way.

Actually, so did I, but the analog controls are simply a lot better. But what you said does highlight one potential problem: “fixing” the controls could mean they end up broken for other players who are used to the controls the way they are. This would basically require a new menu option to switch between new and old controls if they do fix it, and that could be more problematic…

Looks like i was right, playing the game with the PS3 analog feels great. Also, i have no problems doing small tight circles, feels very precise.

When I first started playing the re-release, I thought that the controls seemed a bit off. But I put it down to bad memory - it’s been ages since I’ve played NiGHTS. The game is still completely playable and just as fun as I remember.

Draikin’s video shows that the contols could be better though. I’ve liked the video, and it seems that this will serve as a sort of petition to encourge Sega to fix the problem. Maybe we could use change.org or a similar petition site and set up a formal petition?

A menu option would be a bit like the switch on the 3D controller. :slight_smile: I think the analog controls should be on by default though.

I’m honestly not sure, I think it’s better that we contact Sega’s support.