Xbox Series X - the next Xbox

The reason to wait is price and other than Nintendo with the N64 or the Snes all the best games come latter down the line. The Die hard gamers are the ones who just can’t wait and will find a way the get the money ready for launch.

Your point about the Switch and Wii is sort of mute since all they had were ports of Zelda games off the Cube and Wii U. Not that I even class the Switch as a console, it’s quite obviously a follow up to the 3DS since Nintendo had dropped all support of that system. And Nintendo can also play the mid gen console updates, like it did with the GameBoy and Color or the 3DS and ‘new’ 3DS

BTW coming with Kinect did’t mean the XBox One came with less memory (it had the same as the PS4) and in fact made sure the One came with the most powerful audio systems ever seen in a console. MS just made the mistake of thinking GDDR5 wouldn’t be ready to fit inside a console in time and made a horrible call.

Not happing next gen mind you …

I meant processing power: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-17-how-the-xbox-one-gpu-reserve-unlock-actually-works

“When Xbox One launched, 10 per cent of the console’s GPU was reserved for use with the Kinect sensor. But this month Microsoft began selling the Xbox One without Kinect for a reduced price, and to coincide with that unlocked the 10 per cent reserve for developers to use as they see fit.”

Twilight Princess might have been a port but in its own case it had added motion controls which means it wasn’t a simple port. And Breath of the Wild came out on the Switch first. Technical details aside, they were quality titles that sold consoles and you weren’t a “die hard gamer” if you chose to buy an upgraded port of Twilight Princess or in Breath of the Wild’s case, have the game before it came out on the Wii U and with added portability.

In the end, people have different reasons to get consoles at launch. But, what they don’t account for is manufacturing defects, bad, initial design choices and monthly/yearly upgrades.

That has nothing to do with system memory. And sorry the Zelda games were simply ports from older consoles and of course Nintendo looked to charge you full price for such ports, while on the XBox One you could play the 360 or OG XBox games for free (if you still had the original)

I’m don’t really buy a console on day one for a game made for the last gen myself.

I meant processing power. It just proves my point for the need to keep releasing upgraded models and complete updates based on bad design at launch. Even if you buy the console at launch there is some inconsistency that will be later remedied in a slight upgrade or completely new model.

Nintendo charged full price for both versions of the Zelda games because they came out at the same time, you just chose what version you wanted on what console. Nobody was being ripped off there.

The Zelda games and consoles being bought despite being ports, or any other console, still doesn’t justify calling someone a die hard gamer. And like I said those games had added incentives than mere 1 to 1 ports could offer. There are many other reasons why someone would want a new console at launch, whether it be for the launch line up or just to have a new experience.

They just have to deal with all the bullshit that comes along with it, until the defects are ironed out.

Do you remember playing the original Shadow of the Colossus on PS2? Released at the end of the system’s lifespan, it pushed the hardware to its limits, resulting in a low frame rate. At the time I remember wishing the game had been released on more powerful hardware. If the PS2 Pro had existed back then, maybe my first play through of SOTC would have been a smoother experience.

I don’t want to have to wait for the next full generation to get the best experience. I want the option. As @frelled pointed out, there’s the question of why not just go to the PC if you want options. I’d say the three main reasons to get an upgraded console instead are lower cost, exclusives, and gamepad based UI. As @Team_Andromeda pointed out, PC and consoles are certainly quite different platforms, but when purchasing it’s going to cost even more to buy both, so in practice people are likely to put their money into one or the other.

But, it’s sort of ridiculous. For instance: you buy the original PS4 and then you buy the PS4 Pro because you just have to have the upgraded features. So, you end up spending more money anyway in the end and owning two of the same system.

And even if you do a trade in, you still lost out on money and spend more in the end because you bought the same system twice!

Nintendo looked to charge full price for its HD Remaster of Zelda, never mind asking full prices for its Wii U ports on the Switch (games like Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong)

Why people love Nintendo so much, give them so much credit and lap up all their moves is beyond me TBH.

Why is that so ridiculous when with Nintendo to see the Game Boy Advance screen one had to buy SP or how we had the 3DS and then the 3DS XL and then the ‘new’ 3DS. One can sell their old system while going for the new.

I’m so happy with the One X and also much rather the PS4 Pro to the standard one. There’s a big difference in the quality of the image and to me, I see it very like the old Add-On days whereas a PC Eng and Mega Drive owner I looked to upgrade to the PC Eng CD-Rom and Mega-CD

But Solo PC have always really had the advantages and the most options . I don’t remember Saturn owners saying they didn’t need a PS as their best games like FF7, MGS, Colin McRae, Tomb Raider series were all on the PC and looking and running better thanks to 3D cards.

PC and consoles gamers are quite different. I own a 5th Gen i7 running at 3.80 Ghz with 16 Gig Ram and GeForce GTX 1060 which kills the spec of the old base One Ect. I still much rather game on the console to that the PC. It’s just so much easier and simpler, but then you have my uncle who’s a PC nut and looks to have the latest rig and play games at their best.

It’s ridiculous for the sole reason you are spending more money to get the same system over an over again, due to bad design choices whether it be Nintendo or whomever. People can spend their money however they want but it’s still ridiculous.

And I’m still pissed that I rebought the 3DS to have the XL version!

Full price for what Zelda? Wind Waker HD? Twilight Princess HD? Breath of the Wild? Both versions of BotW came out at the same time and WW and TP were completely redone concerning their graphic engines.

I’ll give you Mario Kart 8 but all DLC was included. So why does everyone let certain things with Nintendo slide? I don’t know maybe because they make quality games and systems?..Not to mention they’re always innovating in some way.

Using my Shadow of the Colossus example earlier, was it also a bad purchase to buy a PS3 for the remastered version to finally play the game with a stable framerate? In the case of this particular game, I see the upgrade from PS2 to PS3 and from PS4 to PS4 Pro as very similar.

You could argue that developers should release games with a stable framerate to begin with, but in practice games have always been released with performance issues on consoles. It’s not ideal spending more money, but it’s a trade off for a better experience.

I don’t think we’re fundamentally disagreeing on anything here. I’m looking at this from the perspective of someone who might be prepared to spend money on only a single gaming system, so in that sense the decision may well come down to PC vs console rather than PC and console.

No more silly or ridiculous to getting the latest mobile ever 2 years or looking to buy a new console every 5 years as we did back in the day. Never mind the people who game on the PC and have to up their tech to play the games at their best.

You don’t have to get a One X or Pro but I for one like the option to play games looking better

Very like my uncle TBH he’s always been more of a PC gamer and doesn’t see the need to get a console. But he doesn’t look to compare the 2 formats and always been into PC for love of Flight Sims with the consoles ever really offered

I don’t see why people need to compare the two or even see it as less of a reason to buy a console. I was SEGA all the way and was never bothered with SEGA’s PC range of games.

You seem to be unhappy with upgrades to consoles every 4 years, But seem to have no isues with Nintendo who Brought the switch out 5 yeas after the Wii U. Then unlike MS look to charge full price for Wii U ports like Mario Kart 8 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Zelda . Just look at what Nintendo asked for a HD The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD compared to what most corps charge for their HD versions

And don’t make me laugh over innovating that’s yet another BIG Nintendo con.

I have no issue with the Wii U and Switch releases. They were actually new systems with new inovations. The Wii U’s entire theme was having a screen on your controller. And while not perfect, it was unique for what they tried to do.

The Switch is completely portable and has detachable controllers. Not to mention new rumble technology. So, they are not just simple updates to the hardware like in Microsoft and Sony’s case. If you don’t like the innovations Nintendo brings with each new system fine, that’s your opinion. But for instance, the Wii and Switch sale figures will beg to differ.

As far as Twilight Princess HD goes, again, it’s not just a simple port it got a complete graphical makeover. Nintendo didn’t make you buy it. And I for one didn’t. I was still content with my Wii version.

Nothing new with detachable controllers for a portables system. We had stuff like the Morphus X300 and SEGA made the Nomad a hybrid console . Nintendo didn’t even alter the tech from NVidia shield.

Compare what Capcom looked to ask for the DMC HD to what Nintendo asked for Twilight Princess HD and that goes for a lot of High Def updates for this gen. If it was a full-on remake like The Legend of Zelda Link’s Awakening then fair enough but to charge full price for a HD version was just pure Nintendo greed.

And sales prove nothing about being innovative.

I guess innovation is subjective.

Games are subjective :). Making the rumble pack for the N64 was innovative as was the mic for the N64. I don’t see much innovation with the Switch mind. Not that you need to be innovative to get sales there’s nothing really innovative about the PS4 and its sold millions.

Sometimes just making good games and a good system is all you need :slight_smile:

Something interesting about the next generation… not only will Xbox Series X be backward compatible with older Xboxes, but Series X games will be forward compatible with Xbox One. It will be interesting to see how long they can keep that up; they’re saying it will be for the first two years. For indie games it’s very understandable, but I wonder if this decision will hold back AAA games that have to cater to the older hardware.