Xbox Series X - the next Xbox

Solo the much more powerful One X plays all Xbox One, Xbox S and One X games. That’s not going to be an issue if MS look to bring out an even more powerful console than Series X.

That price is incredible too £250 for a powerful next-gen console, add in Gamepass, complete BC with One and MS from day one have a family friendly mass-market price point for its console, with a ton of games… It’s incredible. I can’t wait for the series X and its price point is insane too for the spec.

Now if only MS actually showed games running on the systems

Sounds like the Series X will be £399, which is still pretty good.

What’ll really be interesting to me is how the games look on Series S vs Series X - if they are just as beautiful but at a lower resolution, that’d be fantastic. If they lose effects and quality and most importantly FRAMES then that’s a problem.

With the Series S not having a drive at all per rumors, how is backwards compatibility going to work? Are they planning on charging for digital copies of those games? I don’t particularly like Steam as my gaming rights are limited, hence why I buy what I can at GoG. I definitely won’t buy a console without a disk drive.

It be just like how BC was handled on the One or how digital games were handled on the One . If you bought the game digitally any BC game is automatically added to your download list going back to the OG Xbox to your new system.

Sadly that won’t apply for retail disc owners, you’ll have to get the Series X

I mean, on the game cases, it’s not clear which Xbox consoles a game is compatible with. For example, look at this picture of the game cases for The Witcher 3 next generation version:

Is it compatible with just Series X? Series S as well. Xbox One? It likely says on the back of the box, but it’s not clear at a glance. Compare that to the clarity of the distinct PlayStation generations.

Microsoft talked to many players, and one of the motivations of the Series S (which goes up to 1440p) was because many players preferred framerate over resolution. So I’m hopeful. That, and Microsoft is pushing 120fps as an option on both new Xboxes, suggesting that 60fps will be more prevalent this generation.

We know that some older games are having 120fps and HDR patched in, which makes the new Xbox consoles quite compelling from a backward compatibility point of view.

We had a similar discussion to this on Discord recently. My concern with physical games is that they often don’t include important patches, so you still end up being dependent on a digital service anyway. So, from a preservation point of view, I think GOG is the way to go. But when it comes to buying digital games from the Xbox Store, it’s no better or worse than Steam or PlayStation Store from that point of view, and most new games only come to those three platforms.

The Series S is obviously being used to push Game Pass subscriptions, with physical media being a premium option for those who pay extra for a Series X. That said, I don’t really see a huge issue so long as it remains an option (and Microsoft seem committed to giving players a lot of choice after the Xbox One launch debacle). The industry is shifting toward digital as the primary means of distribution, but if we look at music and movies, there’s still a market for collectors there.

You’re getting a little confused with games that are enhanced for series X to games that will work on the system. To be clear XBox Series X is fully BC with all XBox One games same for Series S (or so MS says) games like Witcher 3 are also enhanced with new and better graphics and you don’t need to pay for an upgrade and so not only will you see a Series logo on it but also a smart drive logo too.

I can’t see many games that aren’t cross gen or last gen games that run at 120p on the Series X. It looks far more like 60 FPS at native 4K for most. That’s good enough, though I am looking forward to playing Dirt 5 at 120Fps on my LG TV

I just meant from the causal consumer’s point of view there might be some confusion. It’s easy enough for us core gamers to research what works on what, but if you’re a parent walking into a games store who just knows that their child has an Xbox, it’s going to be less obvious.

Yeah, I think 60fps is sufficient for this console generation; 120fps is a nice to have. So long as we’re moving toward higher framerates as a standard, I consider that progress. I hope we can get to a point where 60fps is considered the baseline instead of 30fps.

1 Like

That might have been the case before Smartphones and Google. But even small kids are pretty clued up these days, they can tell the various different Galaxy or iPhone models just by looking at them

This age kids just text their mum or days what they want or mum will just need to show a photo on the phone. I don’t see it being an issue in this day and age.

120 fps will be in some games, but at what cost to the screen res and graphics?. It’s looking like PS5 and Series X are really going to target 60 fps in a lot of their games.

I can’t wait for them to ship and for us to be done with those Jaguar cores LOL

Daaaaamn, MS just bought ZeniMax (with Bethesda, id, Arkane, Tango, etc.). That’s a power move if I ever saw one. Glad this won’t affect PC negatively (I suppose some of the already coming games will still release on competing consoles as contracted/timed but they’re definitely getting exclusives out of it).

I guess after this deal just about anything goes and is plausible this gen. Who’s gonna buy Capcom, lol.

Well, er, Halo Infinite is targeting 120fps and, heh, we know how that reveal turned out…

Only for the multiplayer side. I never agreed with the outcry over Halo Infinite. It didn’t look ‘that bad’ at all IMO.

Got my new Series X on launch day and just loving it. What a system and now one can play Orta and Daytona USA in HDR

2 Likes

How is this possible on a 450 quid console?

1 Like

This game is just stunning

It is a good Panzer Dragoon Orta machine.

1 Like

It lools gorgeous but, am I right in saying it only runs at a maximum of 40fps?

I’m happy with 30 FPS in Both games. Also really enjoying these too. Great time to be on GamePass

And yeah Orta looks great on the Series X with added HDR support. I’m also amazed how good Sonic Gen looks in BC mode too

The new Sonic game is ace

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Hi-Fi Rush

I’m really enjoying these games at the mo on my Series X

1 Like