Xbox 360, a buffed up Sega Saturn?

In an interview published in the latest issue of Famitsu Xbox Magazine, Tecmo producer and Team Ninja head honcho Tomonobu Itagaki talked more about his impressions on the Xbox 360. When asked about the console’s triple-core IBM PowerPC processor design, Itagaki called it a “buffed-up Sega Saturn,” as the old console was also multi-processor, coming with two, 32-bit CPUs. He said that a single-CPU machine is easier for programming, but multi-core structures have become the recent trend.

Also…

"When asked for his opinion on the PlayStation 3, Itagaki commented that he respects the fact Sony is trying to “create a computer that comes from Japan.” However, he also added that he hopes Sony will make a machine that actually runs according to its listed hardware specs. “A machine that doesn’t run according to its promised CPU frequency is out of the question,” he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/01/news_6128504.html

I lol’d.

Yeah. I saw this. Go go gadget wars.

Well, from that perspective, so is the PS2 and PS3. While technically the PS3 is a “single core” console, it is a single core made up of multiple cores working together… so, same thing.

Wouldn’t read too far into that, guys.

I’m not sure how people are going to react to Mr. Itagaki comparing the Xbox 360 to the Saturn. Since the Saturn was a popular console in Japan, that kind of comment might receive a warm welcome there. It’s a different story here though.

I never read too much into anything. I just found the commentary hilarious.

Probably the same way the people said Saturn was a nightmare to develop for, but the PS2 was a joy as you could code to mental .

They’ll overlook it, if its suits them