Why is it that with every good game

[quote=“Shadow”]

Generally sequels don’t make as much moolah as the original.[/quote]

I hope for Abadd’s sake that that wasn’t his point!

I’d be amused if it was.

Why would developers make a game they knew was less than perfect? Because of monetary issues, I’d imagine. They can only sell games if they make games, and they can only make games if they sell games. Any money is better than no money, but of course everyone wants to create the next Halo or Final Fantasy. But creating great games doesn’t just require a fantastic development team with lots of time, money, and ideas. Great games just happen. There’s always a certain “je ne sais quoi” that’s required to make ANYTHING great.

Basically, there isn’t a problem with making a sequel that’s not as good as the original, except it’s boring, and not the point of art.

Yes but quality is relative.A sequel can top it’s predecessor in certain areas while not “feeling” overall better.

Even if Orta wasn’t what it could be (bare in mind I’m not talking about topping Saga or coming close [granted we sometimes inflate Saga a bit too much;unreachable quality…] I’m just saying there were some aspects that would make it kick ass like changing the art and music in some keypoints.) it didn’t make Saga any less great and it sure didn’t diminish my love for the series and my dreams for the series.

You say that the point of art is to top yourself along the way and while I agree with you to some extent I think you can only do that with some trial and error.
If it wasn’t so then our series would have died back in November 2002 because Orta just wasn’t a shooter version of Saga.

Thank god that’s not the truth and there are at least ideas flowing around space…

FF6, PDS, Zelda3, MGS3, SeikDen2, Metroid3, Mario3, Mother2, MegaMan2…

Mario 3 and Megaman 2 are usually championed as being the best of their respective series. I hope that’s the point you were making?

(<3 Tengu Man though)

Nope. Irrefutable proof that we MUST have sequels–not necessarily remakes though, despise 'em. I could have added a lot more sequels to that list (Castlevania SOTN leaps to the mind) but we’d be here all day wouldn’t we?

[quote=“Scott”]Why is it that with every good game fans want sequels and remakes???
NiGHTS is a prime example of this, and to some extent Panzer Dragoon Saga.

If there is such a good game why not just leave it be? Of course there are some series like Sonic the Hedgehog that thrive on sequels, but this was probably their intent in the first place.

There are many games I love that i woul dnot like to see sequels/remakes of. NiGHTS is the main one however. hopes nothing NiGHTS oorientated appears on the revolution[/quote]

The ones that you have mentioned are what we like to call “Cult Classics.”