What about a new Comix Zone?

Well guys, after taking a look at the colorfull and amazing Rayman Origins, i just can?t stop wondering how a new 2D Comix Zone would look like today.

What do you guys think?

I’ve only played the demo but to me Rayman Origins looks and plays like a Flash game and tbh I never liked Comic Zone on the MD.

I really like to see a lavish 2D XBLA/PSN 2D update to Streets of Rage myself

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]I’ve only played the demo but to me Rayman Origins looks and plays like a Flash game and tbh I never liked Comic Zone on the MD.

I really like to see a lavish 2D XBLA/PSN 2D update to Streets of Rage myself[/quote]

WHAT?

Oh common, a flash game? Theres no way you could get those hand painted graphics in a flash game. And the controls are just as good as any 2D platformer before it, great sound, seriously, you don?t like Origins?

Comix Zone was a lot of fun IMO, Streets of Rage might be my favourite Beat em up on the MD but after it comes Comix

[quote=“Windrider”]

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]I’ve only played the demo but to me Rayman Origins looks and plays like a Flash game and tbh I never liked Comic Zone on the MD.

I really like to see a lavish 2D XBLA/PSN 2D update to Streets of Rage myself[/quote]

WHAT?

Oh common, a flash game? Theres no way you could get those hand painted graphics in a flash game. And the controls are just as good as any 2D platformer before it, great sound, seriously, you don?t like Origins?

Comix Zone was a lot of fun IMO, Streets of Rage might be my favourite Beat em up on the MD but after it comes Comix[/quote]

I don’t think other than screen res and colour that the graphics in Rayman Origins are that great . I’m more impressed with the likes of Astal, Yoshi Island but I’m only going on the demo the final game could be much much better

I didn’t really like Comic Zone much on the MD truth be told, I just couldn’t get it too

I’ve played the demo for Rayman Origins and I can’t say I was that impressed either. I think the problem is really that, while the HD graphics look great, the game just seems to lack atmosphere (this could have been the demo’s fault though). Hand painted or not, it all seemed more of a tech demo to me (and in a way it’s meant to be), perhaps this has to do with the fact that the game started as a smaller XBLA title. The 2D shooter sections for example seem really average gameplay wise.

Games like Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee for example had a similar wacky setting but it did an incredible job of creating a believable yet completely alien world. More recent examples are Aquaria, Braid, Limbo, Muramasa: The demon Blade. For some reason these games impressed me more than any of the HD footage I’ve seen from Rayman; Origins. I’d have to play the full game to see if I got the wrong impression from the demo, but I’ll wait for the inevitable price drop. I’m not sure what Ubisoft is thinking releasing the game now at full price. It’s not going to sell, which of course gives them an excuse to cancel BG&E 2. Again.

Concerning Comix Zone, I didn’t even know that game existed. I’m impressed that they managed to create a game like that with such limited hardware capabilities. if anyone’s interested the game is apparently available on PSN now and for only $2.99 until the end of the month. I guess that also means a sequel might not be out of the question. Still, the number one 2D game I’d like to see revived though is Ecco: the Dolphin. The Tides of Time was meant to have a sequel (The Dreamcast game doesn’t follow the original storyline), and if it used the UbiArt framework it should look incredible. Ancel apparently wanted to make the framework open source, but it’s unclear whether Ubisoft is going to let him do so.

I really don?t get it.

To me Origins so far is possibly the best 2D platformer i?ve ever played.
Platforming is just incredible, it has good pace, and the atmosphere is incredible.

How come you say it has no atmosphere, i mean, every single level has its own personality, graphics and music whise, its far from beeing a generic level where everything looks pretty much the same ( like Super Mario does for me, just as an exemple).

The 2D shooting sections remind me of the old arcade shooter, personally i think they are great, challenging, why very good mechanics overall.

I really don?t get the “hate”.

Like I said, I might be getting the wrong impression from the demo. The reviews certainly seem to agree with you. Have you played the demo? Maybe it was just trying to show too many different gameplay elements.

I think I have been spoiled by the likes of Trine. Trine 2 is a must play platformer for me!

Trine is good, but Rayman gave me a fun rush like i didn?t have in a long time, except for some of the recent Sonic games.

Its just 2 different 2D platforming styles, Trines is more about slow careful platforming with some puzzle elements, Rayman is more similar to Sonic in a sense, run as fast as you can while platforming precisely

And whit all the bright colours and cheerful music, i really felt like a 6 year old playing a video game for the first time.

The only game to make me feel this happy and have this much fun during the recent months was my beloved WipEout HD, yes, i know, has nothing to do with the platformer we are talking about, but i just felt like telling the world that just thinking about WipEout HD can put a smile on my face xD