USB Saturn pads at PlaySega

Scott - no problem. That’s a nice close up shot. I can see a Saturn logo below the pad - what is it? I can’t make it out.

Also how are you doing on SFIV? Which fighter are you practising with? I’m using M. Bison, I like his speed but I’m finding it a bit difficult to pull off some of his special moves. It’s not the pad, I think it’s because I’m rubbish lol

Have you created a Windows Live account? If so give me your name and I’ll add you to my friends list, it’s empty at the mo :frowning:

Nemoide - have you received your pad yet?

Alex - did you try to place your order again?

Haha oh, it’s on top of my sega saturn :slight_smile:

[quote=“RYB”]Also how are you doing on SFIV? Which fighter are you practising with? I’m using M. Bison, I like his speed but I’m finding it a bit difficult to pull off some of his special moves. It’s not the pad, I think it’s because I’m rubbish lol

Have you created a Windows Live account? If so give me your name and I’ll add you to my friends list, it’s empty at the mo :([/quote]

i’ve been using c viper, shes pretty cool i think. i’m still rubbish though!
my tag is Dantini, i’m not really sure how to use it yet though =S

I haven’t gotten mine yet but I assume it will take longer to get to the USA.

I wish they offered them in the opal color that was available when the PC USB Saturn pads got released in JP :frowning:

That was a very snazzy looking pad!

I’ve seen those pads on eBay looking for Saturn stuff. Most of them don’t seem to be Sega products, they have no logo and when there is a pack shot it says G-Tron. Are those alright, too?

It would be very unnerving to have them imported from China or the U.S. just to find out that they are rubbish. :wink:

Not yet, I’m back to being broke. I’ll try tech support again next time I have money for such things. But them not responding at all wasn’t nice :S

I finally got mine! I haven’t tried it yet but it feels like a quality pad.

(It’s extra-great since I’m temporarily separated from my Saturn.)

I found another solution for all of you which still have Saturn pads in their stash. Wolfsoft sells the Retro Adapter, a generic USB-adapter that can be enhanced to support everything from Atari to PC-Engine.

Good thing is that Wolfsoft is in Germany - bad thing is that the adapter is pricey. 30? for the base module + 14? for the Sega Saturn dongle.

Phew, I can get a whole used Sega Saturn for 44?. But those guys really are retro experts - they even sell mods for Atari 2600 consoles. :anjou_love:

i’d just like to add that i have 25k playsega rings and a cool escape =)

what a colossal waste of productive time

So I haven’t been using my pad as much as I probably should (I canceled my PlaySega account - I dislike playing Genesis games in such a tiny window) but tonight I was in the mood for some emulation.

And now the right direction seems to be broken. :anjou_sad: I wasn’t even using it that hardcore… my normal Saturn pad has lasted me well over a decade and this can’t even withstand a couple hours?
I guess I’ll try opening it up and seeing if anything is obviously the matter. But I’m a bit disappointed.

I can’t even figure out how to open the dang thing. T_T
I took out the screws and the half with the button will pry open but the half with the D-pad. (I don’t really know what I’m doing.)

DEPRESSING!

(EDIT: After looking into it I found out that the pad is actually a cheap knock-off that got licensed rather than being made by Sega. And many people have experienced broken D-pads.)

I’ve just had a quick try of my PlaySega pad and counterfeit pad to see what the differences are compared to the official pad.

The official pad has fluid d-pad movement, the d-pad surface feels smooth and has the least grip against the thumb, and the shoulder buttons can be pressed gently and make quiet clicks.

The PlaySega has slightly stiffer d-pad movement, the d-pad surface feels less smooth and has more grip against the thumb, and the shoulder buttons need to be pressed harder and make louder clicks.

The counterfeit is identical to the PlaySega with the exception that it has very stiff d-pad movement.

The face buttons feel the same on all the pads.

Overall, the counterfeit is not a terrible pad once you get used to it, but it doesn’t feel or perform like the official pad. The PlaySega’s superior d-pad over the counterfeit is its saving grace and makes it worth owning if the official Japanese USB pads are not an option. I’ve only tried the PlaySega pad with Street Fighter IV so far and don’t have any problems pulling off moves.

Nemoide:

I’ve just read the reports on Sega’s forum about the PlaySega pad being a licensed imitation. Comparing the PlaySega with the counterfeit confirms they are one and the same, although the PlaySega’s d-pad is better. What a let down. I wouldn’t have paid for them if I knew I wasn’t getting the original Saturn controller. I think Sega will get away with this because they never advertised it as being the original Saturn controller in the first place. I would expect Sega to issue replacement controllers for those who have defective/broken d-pads. Nemoide have you tried sending them a ticket? I wonder how long the warranty is.

In the United States I would have to call Sega’s general toll-free support line, which is sure to be a pain. In addition to that, the FAQ says that the pad is only officially supported for use with PlaySega games and they take no responsibility for damage caused by playing other games. AFAIK there is no warranty, especially since it’s just a “free promotional item” that comes with the PlaySega account, which I was technically paying for.

Since I don’t even have a PlaySega pay account anymore, I’m out of luck.

That sucks. I guess my account woes were for the best. Lame move SEGA.