TWotA Survey (please do this!)

I’ve just written up a few questions, which I would really appreciate if everyone answers. Your answers will influence the future direction of this site; it isn’t just for statistics sake. At the moment I am presently unsure of where to take The Will of the Ancients. There isn’t, after all, much in the way of new Panzer content around, so any comments about what you guys want will help when making future decisions about how this place is run.

I would be really helpful if everyone could do this, not just a select few. Even if you just copy/paste one (or more) of the possible answers for each question that I’ve listed, that alone would be a great help.

Also, if you want to keep it anonymous for some reason, feel free to email or PM your answers to me.

Thanks a lot!

1. What operating system(s) do you use?
  • Windows XP
  • Windows (other, please state which version)
  • Linux (state which distribution)
  • Mac OS (state which version)
  • BSD
  • Unix
  • Other (state which)
  1. What web browser(s) do you use?
  • Internet Explorer 5
  • Internet Explorer 6
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • Firefox
  • Opera
  • Netscape
  • Safari
  • Konqueror
  • Internet Explorer (Mac or older than version 5)
  • Other (state which)
  1. What resolution(s) do you view this site in?
  • 640 by 480
  • 800 by 600
  • 1024 by 768
  • 1152 by 864
  • 1280 by 1024
  • 1920 by 1200
  • Other (state what)
  1. What devices do you view this site with?
  • PC
  • Laptop
  • PDA
  • Mobile Phone
  • Console, such as a Dreamcast
  • Other (state what)
  1. When it comes to forums, how do you prefer topics to be viewed?
  1. How do you find the size of the forum text?
  • too big
  • too small
  • just right
  1. How do you find the forum colour scheme?
  • too bright
  • too dark
  • just right
  1. When formatting posts, which of the following would you prefer (in order of preference)?
  • BBCode, like these forums use, for example: **bold text**
  • HTML, the language that web pages are written in, for example <strong>Bold text</strong>
  • Wiki code (like Wikipedia uses)
  • A WYSIWYG editor (like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer)
  • No formatting should be allowed, just plain text.
  1. What do you think of the way these forums and the main site are moderated?
  • The forum moderators are too strict.
  • The level of moderation on the forums is just right as it is.
  • There isn’t enough moderation on the forums.
  • There isn’t enough quality control on the main site.
  • There needs to be a more user-driven way for the forums to be run.
  • There needs to be a more user-driven way for the site to be run.
  1. With the lack of Panzer Dragoon content at the moment, would you be happy if more general content was added to the site?
  • The main site should only feature Panzer Dragoon content, as it does now.
  • The main site should have other content besides Panzer Dragoon (such as other similar games or games on the Saturn).
  • The forums should only feature Panzer Dragoon topics, scrap the off topic boards completely.
  • The forums should contain off topic posts, but just as it is now.
  • The forums should contain more off topic boards than it does now.
  • Windows XP
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • 1280 by 1024
  • PC
  • Flat view (like this one)
  • just right
  • just right
  1. When formatting posts, which of the following would you prefer (in order of preference)?
  • A WYSIWYG editor (like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer)

Although I’ll happily get used to anything, as long as there’s a “How to” FAQ.

Nobody get it’s right all the time, but I am usually happy with moderation on this site.
Got no issues with the main site, apart from the recent “Theory” definition problem

1. With the lack of Panzer Dragoon content at the moment, would you be happy if more general content was added to the site?

*I think it would dilute some of the sites authority and impact (as you’re one of very few dedicated PD sites out there) to suddenly change it to "PD and freinds. I do think though that a “Please visit our sister site!” button or similar on the main page would allow for new content to be covered without eating into what makes this one different from all the rest.

Forums aren’t really busy enough IMO to warrant boards more specific than ones now - I’d personally just keep an eye on things if any expansion goes ahead and go from there.*

I hope that’s been helpful, Solo.

1–Primary PC: Windows XP

2–IE 6

3–1024 by 768

4–Laptop

5–Flat view (good lord, FLAT VIEW)

6–just right

7–just right

8–BBCode

9–The level of moderation on the forums is just right as it is

10-- The main site should only feature Panzer Dragoon content, as it does now.
– The forums should contain off topic posts, but just as it is now.

01 - Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux
02 - FireFox
03 - About 1280x800, usually*
04 - PC
05 - Flat view
06 - Just right
07 - Just right
08 - It’s all good
09 - There isn’t enough moderation on the forums. The website is fine.
10 - Other content is fine for both the site & forums**

• My desktop is set @ 1680x1050 but I usually don’t maximise the browser windows which are set to a bit less than that size.

** Only as long as it doesn’t take over the website completely. But it’s up to you, it’s your website. If you want to include your opinions on current happenings or something, for example write about how you love your Wii, then that’s fine and I’ll probably wanna see what you have to say anyway.

1. Windows XP
  2. Firefox
  3. 1280x1024
  4. PC
  5. Flat view
  6. just right
  7. just right
  8. BBCode
  9. The level of moderation on the forums is just right as it is (for now).
  10. The main site should only feature Panzer Dragoon content, as it does now. The forums should contain off topic posts, but just as it is now.
  1. Windows XP

2. Firefox

3. 1024 by 768

4. PC

5. Flat view

6. Just right

7. Just right

8. BBCode

9. The level of moderation on the forums is just right as it is.

10. The main site should only feature Panzer Dragoon content, as it does now. The forums should contain off topic posts, but just as it is now. (I’ve never seen the point of forums having about 20 different types of “off topic” board)

1-Ubuntu Linux (and sometimes Win XP)
2-Swiftfox (based on Firefox so as far as compatibilities are concerned I use Firefox)
3-1024 by 768
4-PC(seldomly with a laptop)
5-Flat view is just fine
6-Just right
7-Just right (new colour-schemes/themes would be nice tho)
8-BBCode
9-I can’t complain that much but there are times when a word from the mods on certain topics could be good.As for the main site either keep it how it is (which is good) or if anything would be changed in order to quality control it let it be something the people who read the articles could have a say about.Something like grading each article on a scale.I think everyone should be able to submit their article (just like it works now)
10-The main site should definately be PD only imo.Which doesn’t mean we couldn’t have a separate smaller project about games in general.The forums should remain with this 3forum scheme.

• Windows XP
  • Firefox
  • 1280 by 1024
  • PC
  • just right
  • just right
  • BBCode, like these forums use, for example:
    Code:
    bold text
  • PMed

Thanks people, those answers have been really helpful. :anjou_happy:

Suprisingly, most of you have very similar answers on a lot of the points when it comes to what you want.

Good to see someone who uses something other than Windows here :). For a grading system, do you mean something like digg.com where submissions can be voted up and down depending on their quality, and the most popular articles make it to the top of the list?

Thanks for that idea, I’ll keep it in mind. Although if, in the future, I decide to set up another area for things other than Panzer Dragoon I’ll probably set up another site, as opposed to combining it with TWotA. The general concensis here seems to be that TWotA should stay focused on PD.

What was your opinion on that… that the section should be split or kept the same as it is now?

• Linux (Debian, Ubuntu)
  • Mac OS (OSX 10.4)
  • Firefox
  • 1600 by 1200
  • 1920 by 1200
  • PC
  • Laptop (rarely)
  • Flat view
  • just right - I’m not too fussed on this point however, thats what Firefox’s increase and decrease text size options are for :smiley:
  • just right
    -I don’t care what formatting is used as long as it’s kept sane, no 150px fonts with blink tags please c.c

2. What do you think of the way these forums and the main site are moderated?

Out of curorisity Solo… Whats your answer to the resolution, o/s, broswer questions? (Yes I know I’m a geek, you guys just have no idea how much of a geek ^^)

• Windows XP
  • Firefox
  • 1600x1200
  • Other: 1280x768 (laptop connected to HDTV)
  • Other: 1680x1050 (laptop w/out HDTV)
  • PC
  • Laptop
  • just right
  • just right
  • BBCode, like these forums use, for example: **bold text**
  • The main site should have other content besides Panzer Dragoon (such as other similar games or games on the Saturn).

Sure :slight_smile:

• Windows XP Media Center Edition*
  • Firefox
  • 1024x768 on my Laptop. 1920x1200 on the PC.
  • PC, Laptop
  • Flat view, because threaded topics can be hard to follow chronologically.**
  • It’s about right, although I quite like micro font sites.
  • Just right. I’m biased though.
  • BBCode, although some of the WikiCode tags are better for certain things.

I don’t really feel I’m in the position to answer questions 9 and 10. I mainly asked them because I’m not 100% sure where to go with those areas of the site.

*I’d like to put a flavour of Linux on my laptop though. I’ve just got to take the time to learn how to network XP and Linux together, since I need to have XP on my PC for gaming (unless I used Cedaga or something).

**Saying that, there are certain advantages of threaded view. Conversations can branch out naturally, whereas with a flat view it can sometimes be confusing to find out who is replying to who if people forget to quote who they’re replying to.

• Windows XP
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • 1152 by 864
  • PC
  • just right
  • just right
  • BBCode, like these forums use, for example: Code:
    bold text

*****The main site should have other content besides Panzer Dragoon (such as other similar games or games on the Saturn).

I mean it’s not like we’re going to have loads and loads of more content for TWotA and PDS Oasis in the near future, right? Well, unless a miracle occurs and we get the privilege to play PDS 2 (like that’s ever going to happen :anjou_sigh: (sarcasm)!

Okay, here are some suggestions:

Just make a section called Other or Other Video Game Media. Maybe even better a section called The Future of Gaming. This section of the site (what ever you decide to call it) would be for anything that’s not panzer related.

Like for instance: you could have a small news page sort of like http://www.the-magicbox.com (maybe not as complex) and you could state your opinions on important articles or ground breaking influential games, that we would all be interested in and want to discuss. Then, under the article have a link that will bring viewers to a forum topic in which we could all discuss.

Of course, you would have to make another Forum section, just for these discussions.

And if you want to make a section containing media about games that are similar to the Panzer Dragoon series (Which I was thinking about doing myself, but never got around to it, maybe I could help you), make a section called: Panzer-like Games.

And just put these new sections right below the Interactive section of TWotA, that way it would be at the bottom and separate from the Panzer Dragoon Content. These are just some ideas, you can probably think of some better names for these new sections, that is: If you do decide to do it.

I personally believe it’s a good Idea. :anjou_happy:

Windows ME

2. What web browser(s) do you use?

• Internet Explorer 6
  • Firefox
  • 1024 by 768
  • PC
  • Just right
  • Just right
  • BBCode, with perhaps some limited html.
    I don’t even think this site needs much moderation, most members are well behaved.

2. With the lack of Panzer Dragoon content at the moment, would you be happy if more general content was added to the site?
    Keep it mainly Panzer Dragoon. Although if you’re desperate to add content to the site, feel free to dedicate it to the Saturn.

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]

What was your opinion on that… that the section should be split or kept the same as it is now?[/quote]

Personally, I would split that section up (or have a subsection) so that there is a clear definition between the “What if?” and “Isn’t it strange” compared to the more serious “I have come to conclusion because I have looked at information and , as supported by canonical PD facts.”

It’s obvious to most of us here which falls into which, but with the first-time TWotA or new PD fan in mind, I think it’s important we separate the two.

[quote=“Solo Wing Dragon”]

Good to see someone who uses something other than Windows here :). For a grading system, do you mean something like digg.com where submissions can be voted up and down depending on their quality, and the most popular articles make it to the top of the list?[/quote]

Not necessarily.Each article would simply having a grade.The up and down part would only really serve a purpose if we had hundreds of articles.It would be the opinion of the users who had read it.Since theories for example are in most cases unrelated to each other an allaround grading (as in : Read this article not that one) wouldn’t make much sense imo.

Oh and btw if you are new to Linux I would recommend Ubuntu 6.06 (last version so far).It’s really easy to start doing stuff.I only really use Windows for gamiong right now (which means I don’t use it that much) and that’s because I never gave project WINE a shot (even tho it can’t compete with windows…)

1. Windows XP

2. Firefox

3. 1280 by 1024

4. PC

5. Flat view (as far as I can say)

6. just right

7. just right

8. doesn’t matter but I like this actually

9. The level of moderation on the forums is just right as it is. Within the established membership it’s not really possible for things to get out of control anyway.

10. Well this site is an anomaly for me at the moment, I stay away from message boards in general so the off-topic forums here are my only recorded outlet for discussing current events in videogames. I dunno if that’s actually a good thing for me or anyone else, but I don’t think any forums should be taken away.

I think the 3 forums work perfect as they are, as Kimimi said there’s not enough activity to warrant any more boards. However… if your concern is increasing activity then I would be happy enough if more general content was added, I will agree that Saturn dedicated sections would be appropriate for even the main site.

I like the grading/voting idea, and it could possibly take care of any “Theories” section complications if you set it up with something like a slider vote for how fanciful it seems? If enough people were willing to vote it would give new readers some context for how to take the submissions. That might lead to some other distasteful issues but who knows.

• Windows XP
  • Internet Explorer 6
  • 1024 by 768
  • PC
    -Console, such as a Dreamcast (now and again)
  • PSP (now and again)
  • just right
  • just right
  • BBCode, like these forums use, for example: Code:
    bold text
  1. Windows XP
  2. Firefox
  3. 1024 by 768
  4. PC
  5. Flat view
  6. text size: just right
  7. colour scheme: just right
  8. bold text
  9. moderation: Just right
  10. The main site should only feature Panzer Dragoon content, as it does now.