The RPG's top priority--character, battle system, or story?

And I just told you that everything is corrupt and there is no honesty left in the world. This applies to everything; there are NO exceptions. The sad thing is, most people in this world think that they are progressing and evolving, when, in fact, they are devolving back to a more primitive, animalistic state. With that said, I can’t wait until the great purification happens and wipes over 90% of the population out. Good riddance, I say.

Why not 100%? It’s everything after all. Then again, that’s a very contradictory thing to say. If everything is corrupt with no honesty, then that includes you, so you can’t be honest in saying that, therefor it’s a lie and doesn’t apply. On the other hand, if it’s a lie and it doesn’t apply, then you ARE honest so it’s all real. Omg, it’s a paradox.

One could only hope it’s 100% - I know I do. And I was, by no means, excluding myself from that generalization - as they say, it takes a thief to know a thief etc.

I was once told by a psychic several years ago about this too - this is what he said: “I find it interesting that out of all the things you appall in society is the very reflection of who you are today.” So right he was.

Yeah I remember back in the 80’s too… only I take off my global nostalgia goggles every few years and it becomes very obvious that people have been about the same mix of altruists, assholes, activists and animals throughout our history. Just because you were young and open to the world, doesn’t mean it was actually a nicer place. Maybe you were just a nicer person? Disillusionment is a bitch though, believe me I know all about it.

Yeah, pre-puberty has alot to do with how you look at life for sure. I wish I could have all that innocence (if you want to call it that) back.

:anjou_wow:

I bet some workaholic (sp?) shrink out there, who is without a doubt reading this topic right now, will use this topic to prove something groundbreaking about the human mind and how it works some 10 years from now…

As loathe as I am to admit it, I think this is the first post from Kadamose that has made me laugh…

One of the best Hentai Games EVER - Sister Scheme! Incest is best! Hope your psychologist friend sees that one, Gehpnaet.

[Link removed - SWD]

I’m personally looking forward to this one in a month:

[Image removed - SWD]

I think there’s a certain intangible element that not a lot of RPGs even get right. I like to call it feel. How well does everything fit together and progress forward? You can have a great story or you can have a lousy story, but if something is causing you to keep progressing forward, then the game has succeeded, right? That’s why I really hate level grinding. It can turn an RPG with a great story into a boring chore. Case in point, I just finished the original Grandia. The hero is a happy-go-lucky ray of sunshine, and the game has all the typical anime elements, but the game’s power snuck up on me and I was gripped until I finished the game. Very small amount of level grinding. Then I tried to play Final Fantasy VII again. I’m seriously thinking about downgrading my score for that game because it flows about as well as a bunch of rocks tumbling down a hill. My first impression about ten minutes in was “Man what an ugly game.”

Shining Force 3 is a perfect example of a travesty…the sad thing is, most of us who did play the game, never got to experience Disc 2 or Disc 3 (both of which were incredible). Damn you, Sega!

Here’s my question: why is it that most RPGs only give you the “boring” parts to play of a story? If, say, a Final Fantasy RPG were turned into a movie, what parts do you think would be cut out first? The random encounters (with maybe a few exceptions to provide highlights), the walking around and talking to every person on the street, and searching every corner of every dungeon, etc.

Why is it that in between story sequences, generally RPGs are excruciatingly boring? And even then, the story sequences are often boring, too, with poorly done dialog/characterization/etc and each sequence lasts for 10-20 minutes.

I’d like to see an RPG that actually gave you interesting things to do in between battles and story sections. I’d like to see a world that changes outside of your control (because while being able to affect your environment is awesome, the world doesn’t sit around and wait for you). I’d like to see players actually be able to skip entire sections of the game if they figure out something early or do extremely well in specific areas.

And finally, I’d like to see an RPG that isn’t about saving the world =\

Sorry, Abadd, but the RPG genre has become stagnate and there truly is no more room for improvement with the current media limitations. The only way I can see the RPG genre becoming interesting again is through interactive Virtual Reality, and even then some of the problems you have assessed may still remain, but it would be interesting…for awhile.

Thanks for the totally relevant and informative picture, Kadamose.

Not.

[quote=“Kimimi”]Thanks for the totally relevant and informative picture, Kadamose.

Not.[/quote]

You’re just jealous, huh? I bet you’re a flat chested butterball. Of course, that doesn’t really mean anything…other than the fact that I’d never sleep with you.

Also, the post was relevent in that hentai games contain better stories than anything currently on any console (except PDS). Don’t believe me? Play one. If you want a good recommendation, I highly recommend Gore Screaming Show.

makenaidesuwayo.com/2006/07/ … -show-end/

Kadamose - Links and images have to be “safe for work”.

Speaking to my friends in such a manner is not a good way to make an impression around here. Not that you care, so saying this is most likely a waste of time. :anjou_sigh:

I suppose a simple sorry isn’t enough. Oh well, you’re right: I really don’t care.

Great post, Abadd. I think that one of the main reasons this hasn’t been done is that if the world changed “behind the scenes” it would be detail that the player wouldn’t necessarily see. Game designers perhaps don’t think it’s worth putting a lot of time into a feature that players aren’t going to experience the majority of the time, or in some cases, at all.

I agree that such a game would be very immersing and something that I would personally like to play. But many gamers simply like to blast through the game, or through all the game’s “quests”, as fast as possible. They either like to play to the end, or grind their characters to the highest level possible. Much of that extra development time of more background features probably wouldn’t be a selling point to these gamers.

I remember Shenmue being described a bit like this (in magazines) before it was released - players would be able to play through their quest differently to one another, and compare their stories. Fable also promised a kind open ended gameplay where the world and characters would age over time. Too bad these games didn’t/couldn’t live up to the ideas that their designers had for them.

Well Kimmi could post some Yaio pictures for your viewing pleasure to see how you like it too.

Try to be a bit more respectful please.

Worst than that thought was SEGA not bringing Grandia over , which still to this very day gets my skin up. The game was amazing in every way , and to make matters worse that Twat Bernie upsets one of the few corps that ‘might’ have brought Grandia over. All this at a time RPG mania inthe West was at its peak .

In saying that though, I wasn’t a fan of Vic and his school boy tantrums , a move which in the end cost him company , way

[quote=“Team Andromeda”]

Worst than that thought was SEGA not bringing Grandia over , which still to this very day gets my skin up. The game was amazing in every way , and to make matters worse that Twat Bernie upsets one of the few corps that ‘might’ have brought Grandia over. All this at a time RPG mania inthe West was at its peak .

In saying that though, I wasn’t a fan of Vic and his school boy tantrums , a move which in the end cost him company , way[/quote]

Grandia was ok.

As for Vic and Working Designs, who didn’t see that coming? When it takes four freaking years to bring out a first-generation game, you know there’s something seriously wrong (again, we go back to the laziness argument) - that, and that fact that he was a tad bit overbearing, is what ultimately cost him his company. Oh well, good riddance…the only good thing that company did anyway was bring over Falcom’s Popful Mail, which I still prize to this very day.