The Last of Us TV Series

A TLOU TV show has now been confirmed! HBO has a pretty decent track record recently and anyone who has seen Chernobyl will tell you it was excellent (if not completely faithful).

I’m glad they’re going this route rather than a feature film, there’s so much more you can do with a series that the reduced minutes of a film just can’t replicate.

Great news, especially with Neil Druckmann on board and the choice of going with HBO who are known for shows featuring mature content. I’m always a bit weary of video game adaptions, but I think when I comes to game choices The Last of Us is an ideal source material to adapt.

Based on the latest trailer, the show is looking great.

Premieres next month.

The season is now over - and what a great adaption it was! Not only does The Last of Us understand what is important in adapting a video game (the story and world, rather than the gameplay), but it’s a faithful adaption too, following the keys points of the narrative and expanding upon them to give viewers more insight into characters that aren’t playable in the game. Easily the best video adaption I’ve seen.

And we’re getting at least one more season, possibly two, as Part II is a significantly longer game.

I havent watched it yet

Im only a minor fan of the game, I feel like I am aware of most of the storybeats- did they finish the first game in the first season?

They did (along with an episode dedicated to the DLC “Left Behind”).

If you’re familiar with the game, you’ll know that it contains a lot of violence. I feel that the series succeeds by cutting most of that out unless it’s story relevant. It feels more accessible to non-gamers while capturing and expanding upon what was important to the original story. It probably helps that game felt a lot like a TV series to begin with.

I really, REALLY enjoyed this. I just have two real criticisms tbh, one is that there should’ve been more infected, especially later in the season. The idea being that the need for a cure should’ve been driven home harder by using appearances of the infected. The other is, some of the scenes feel a bit fast. Like they’re being rushed.

That said, I did really love the series, and it’s hard to let these things detract from it. They got everything else right, IMO, and I’m looking forward to season 2!

1 Like

It seems Season 2 will have more infected:

“So we did at times have choices to make about how we wanted to present the infected. Even though we were green lit for a season of television, Neil and I felt like we can’t just make a season of television without considering what would come after. There is more The Last of Us to come. I think the balance is not always just about within an episode or even episode to episode, but season to season. It’s quite possible that there will be a lot more infected later and perhaps different kinds.”

There’s the question of how they’ll structure season 2, given that there is a time gap and number of flashbacks as to what happened in between in The Last of Us Part II. If they’re going to expand the series so that Part II is more than one season, potentially they could do a season 2 covering the events of the flashbacks as a set up for season 3 which would be the “main quest” featured in the game, which would flow with the ages of the actors a bit more naturally.