The Last of Us Part I

A new version of The Last of Us is coming to PS5 (and later PC. :anjou_happy:)

Announce trailer:

Comparison with The Last of Us Remastered (PS4):

There’s some further details in this Rock Paper Shotgun article:

This isn’t a straight port of that 2013 game, or even of the PlayStation 4 remaster, but a more ambitious remake that substantially ups the fidelity of the world and its characters. Interestingly, Naughty Dog mentioned during the Summer Game Fest that it uses the mo-cap performances from the original release, but maps that animation data onto the new look characters.

My thoughts: based on the footage we’ve seen so far, this looks like a significant upgrade visually. However, the PS4 remaster by no means looks bad, so if you just play that (for probably a cheaper price), it’s likely not going to be a significantly worse experience. Even though I’ve already played it on PS3 and PS4, I’ll likely get The Last of Us Part I when it comes out on PC because I’m fan.

In some ways I’m glad that The Last of Us Part I appears to be the same story, rather than reimagining things - why mess with what fans already loved?

It remains to be seen if they’ll update the gameplay mechanics which were a weaker aspect of the original (compared to Part II). But even if this is just a visual upgrade, it will make playing Part I and II back to back feel like more of a cohesive whole.

This game came out in 2013 and it’s already getting a remake… Why?

It’s a good question. Unlike the Bloodbourne remake that Sony released on PS5, there is already a PS4 remaster of The Last of Us that is backward compatible.

My guess is that the status of The Last of Us as one of the most important PlayStation games has a lot to do with it, which translates into a low risk project for Sony.

From a player’s perspective, the tech has aged in comparison to Part II (which got a free update on PS5 improving some things). If Part III comes out later in the PS5’s life and is the final part of Ellie’s story (I’m assuming it will be), we’ll get to play all three parts built with a similar level of technology. The name “Part I” rather than “Remake” leads me to believe that this is the intent.

The most pointless remake ever

1 Like