Sony's E3

Let’s use this for comments on what they had to show as a whole.

Currnetly (at the time of writing) it should have been (but is delaying) live at:

e3.eu.playstation.com/

gamespot.com/e3/ea-press-conference

gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

polygon.com/2013/6/10/441481 … deo-stream

ustream.tv/playstation

Nothing too exciting for their Vita and PS3 sections, but good for owners I guess.

They kind of glossed knowingly over everything. Now let’s see PS4.

Edit: ugh, kind of ugly… But at least it’s not gigantic.

Talking up TV, movies, music, etc, come on, people watch E3 for video games.

Edit: finally, games!

Just realized, The Last Guardian no show for PS3… Maybe moved to PS4?

Edit: or not finally, games, social media instead! Come on!

Edit: ok, finally games, for real!

I’m getting Nightmare Creatures vibe from this game.

Edit: nope, new IP, The Order. Hopefully it’s not all shooting, L4D style…

Now they’re showing… An FPS. Killzone Shadowfall. Boring footage honestly…

Next, GT6 I guess. I blinked and missed it.

Next, inFamous Second Son. Could be good, we’ll see. Not much gameplay in these.

Next, cartoony platformer brawler thing. Knack. Hmm.

The Dark Sorcerer, looks good if really in game, but who knows what kind of game will be shaped from it. Graphics wise it looks similar to that The Deep tech demo from Capcom, but it shows more things (not just a cave and dragon breath etc) so is more impressive.

Edit: wait what… I dunno what happened there at the end…

Transistor (Bastion successor) looks alright.

Too much 2014 and beyond here.

Indie games I don’t care about now…

Don’t Starve and some side scrolling shooter and octo dad.

Some top down shooter I missed its name looked alright.

A cutesy zombie horde game.

Abe’s Odyssey remake, neat.

An open world top down shmup.

Hmm.

Exclusive console debut on PS4 for all these. Dunno if that means PC too or Xbox One later.

Diablo III. Big, obviously. But also not exclusive (but they have xclusiv items!).

New FF Versus XIII trailer. Looks pretty epic honestly. Hopefully it is.

New Kingdom Hearts, yay. Nice teaser.

FFXIV will be on both PS3 and PS4 (obviously).

Now Assassin’s Creed 4, gonna show more gameplay than Ubi’s conference I think.

Yep, looking good. Hopefully it is (I was so disappointed in AC3).

Now Watch Dogs. Already seen plenty of that but hey. Good stuff.

Except that pointless smartglass, I hope they don’t lock these functions without tablets.

EA with their sports, Bethesda with Elder Scrolls Online, meh.

Mad Max, hmm… Wonder what it’s like.

They’ve clarified used games supported as always, trade in, sell to another guy, lend to a friend, whatever, if it’s a disc it’s yours. No online requirements either. Good stuff.

Edit: I think their PS Plus stuff sounded like you may not be able to play online without paying this time? That… wouldn’t be a good change… Confirmed. Bah! <3 PC.

Bungie’s Destiny. Looking pretty good. I don’t mind non shooting gallery FPS.

It seems like Halo had a baby with Borderlands. Co-op, loot, stuff. Not bad.

Price is $399, 399 euros. Good stuff.

Well, this should be ending soon. I guess this was overall considerably better than Microsoft’s. But in the end most of the goods were still not exclusive to their platform, just with some “exclusive content”. Still both together show a promising start for the gen games wise. And Sony wins by not having the Xbox One restrictions and requirements alone. MS better backpedal. Although Sony took a leap back also with making Plus subscription a requirement for online play, at least the system’s price is considerably better. They learned.

Now to wait for Nintendo’s E3. 11 hours. Hopefully they have more surprises since we already know like 3 of their intended to be hit titles, I mostly want to see what they do with 3D Mario to top Galaxy. I guess they will be announcing a price cut too, 249 for the Premium would be decent, considering the PS4’s announced price. I guess 299 is more likely.

Sony has released a handy step by step video explaining how you share games with friends on PS4. Highly technical procedure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA)

Heh.

It sucks that Microsoft’s bullshit allow Sony to get away with the Plus subscription.

The way to do it should be to add value to Plus, not take value from those without it.

Online play should be subscription free everywhere unless we’re talking costly MMOs.

I can understand the Plus subscription though. When your competitor is charging people for online play and the consumer continues to support that practice, then I can’t really fault Sony for ultimately deciding to do the same thing.

Looks like Tretton commented on The Last Guardian saying it’s on hiatus. Oh well.

Edit: Yoshida said that’s not true, it’s in active development but not ready to reintroduce.

Also, update on used games/DRM from Tretton…

“Well, I mean, we create the platform, we’ve certainly stated that our first-party games are not going to be doing that, but we welcome publishers and their business models to our platform,” Tretton said. “There’s gonna be free-to-play, there’s gonna be every potential business model on there, and again, that’s up to their relationship with the consumer, what do they think is going to put them in the best fit. We’re not going to dictate that, we’re gonna give them a platform to publish on.”

“The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it’s not something we’re going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement,” Tretton added.

Meh. Online passes are here to stay I guess.

Edit: it has been clarified further that he was indeed only talking about online pass style DRM. So, your disc will work on any PS4, but for such functions (which may be integral depending on the game obviously, you don’t buy Battlefield for single player) the publisher may request a fee or not even allow it at all. Oh well. Something tells me discs will be marginalized more and more with single player games’ real endings provided under season passes to enforce this shit on everyone they can. At least they claim first party games won’t, and I guess various smaller publishers don’t attempt that sort of leeching so there’s that, while on Xbox One every single game will be fully locked down by default.

There are also some online games (some f2p) that won’t require the Plus paywall.