Sonic the Hedgehog Movie (Spoilers)

Anyone see the movie? I just got back and I was pleasantly surprised!

I think the best part was Jim Carey’s performance as Dr. Robotnik! He had that spark about him, not seen since his old movies. His off the wall banter and maniacal slap stick portrayal made him a blast to watch!

It all came together for him and Sonic in the scene near the end of the movie, where the two of them are in a heated chase, running and flying through ring portals and spanning multiple locations around the world! It actually felt like the game brought to life and cemented their rivalry in stone.

Sonic’s new design looks good, although I will say he looked kind of fake from far away. I think it looks as good as it can, considering it was a rushed job. I did like Sonic’s personality and the banter between him and Tom felt believable. They actually had good chemistry. The only thing I kind of didn’t like were some of the corny jokes. But, I guess I can’t complain, because I’m a grown man watching a movie made for kids…Sonic for the most part, felt like Sonic and there were a lot of easter eggs for us fans, spread throughout the movie!

Also, the end credits had some crazy scenes with a transformed Dr. Robotnik! As well as a certain character appearing! Although, I don’t see how the sequel will play out, because they are still on earth. I would have wanted Tom and Sonic to go back to Sonic’s world, along with Robotnik….

Overall, it was fun, I enjoyed it. Sonic’s personality shift and other small details didn’t settle with me at first but since watching it I’ve read a few articles that describe this Sonic as being for the current generation. So, as you say, I’m happy to accept it’s not really aimed for me and I appreciate it for what it is.

There’s a lot of fun easter eggs. I’m pretty sure San Fransico being mentioned is a call to Sonic Adventure 2. The ending was a nice touch and if they do drop a sequel, I’ll probably go watch that too. If anything I’m more interested to see what they’ll do with a sequel.

I think the chances of a sequel are pretty good now. And Jim Carry said he’d be back in a heart beat! So, I can’t wait to see his take on Dr. Robotnik’s fully evolved form! It should be maniacally bonkers!