Sonic Omens (The best 3D Sonic fangame I've ever played!)

So I just beat the first episode of the Sonic fangame Sonic Omens and it was…AWESOME! This is how a 3D Sonic fangame should be done! SEGA you better take notes! Music, story, level design, gameplay, all original. It has the tone and personality of a Sonic Adventure game and Sonic has his cool, carefree personality back. Apparently the game is being released in episodes. But this fist episode will keep you busy for hours: playing as Sonic, Shadow and flying the Tornado with Tails.

The gameplay is a combination of platforming and boost. Not to mention a few Tornado flying levels. And I think this is a good balance. The game is surprisingly challenging but in a good way! As the levels are broken up, ranging from boost gameplay to stopping from time to time to do some carefully designed platforming. Much like the Sonic Adventure games. The graphics look really nice, using Unreal Engine 4. Especially the level where you’re climbing up a giant tree and later escaping a massive flood rushing behind you at maximum velocity! It’s really exhilarating! Also, the music throughout the stages, to my knowledge is all original and sounds very professional.

I’ve never played a 3D Sonic fangame that had this much passion and care for the series. Just the presentation in the cutscenes alone is miles above anything SEGA themselves have done in the past few years. As the cutscenes themselves have a high quality cinematic feel. The voice acting is nothing special but the voices match up with how the characters are supposed to sound. Even if you can hear their Russian accents from time to time: as the game was developed by a collaboration of Russian developers called “Mania team” lead by Alex Dmitriev aka Bolt, which was later disbanded and merged with “Ouroboros Studio”.

In conclusion I think the devs of this fangame have pulled off something even SEGA hasn’t been able to do with the franchise, and that is: actually make a good 3D Sonic game! So, try it out and see for yourself!

Download Link

https://gamejolt.com/games/SonicOmens/469351

Gameplay:

This is going to be awesome! Sonic Omens final episodes! Releasing August 2022!

The second and final half of the game is out now! This is such an awesome Sonic fangame!

https://gamejolt.com/get/build?game=469351&build=1269764

It seems there was a bit of drama during development but nothing that damning really. The whole Patreon thing is blown out of proportion imo. It was people’s decision to donate to it or not.

First of all, there in no proof of that texture. Unless someone digs into the games files this can not be proven. Second, regarding the Patreon. It was fan’s decision to donate regardless of how they worded it. Lastly, the game is free. Free to play right now. They are making no profit off of the finished game.

I can understand the harassment thing. But I was on their discord and they all made up and continue to be friends. Also apparently the Maria texture was made without their knowledge by one of the graphic designers. Although I dont agree with what it represents of course.

This video sums up what I’ve been saying pretty well:

Also,

This is Eggman VA’s post in owr social network

(Google translate):

About yesterday’s stream, the situation is not pleasant, not beautiful, but a number of factors have developed there: the oppressive heat that has been plaguing us for a week now and the game only warms up the room and the person who is sitting at the computer even more, the first experience with new episodes and bosses and misunderstood co-hosts. I flared up, I was unpleasant, but time passed, we talked, apologized and understood each other. We don’t hold grudges against anyone, these are our colleagues, our friends, and spoiling relationships just like that because of yesterday is stupid. I am ready to forget the grievances, forgive and move on.

A post by one of the members on the Sonic Omens Discord:

Mifu, Kyuna’s sibling — Yesterday at 6:53 PM

Honestly Gamejolt ads are enabled by default so fuck you all thinking this has been enabled by bolt himself

[6:54 PM]

Second, Artist gets paid by doing commission over this IP, sonic omens can be considered as an art for some persons, so since one person does think that way it is considered as an ART. If omens cannot get money out of this, then Artist can’t either.

[6:55 PM]

Third, All of that story about the controversy is pissing me off and if i see anyone talking about it i’ll just block them instantly.

[6:56 PM]

It’s been fucking 2 years now. F******* GROW UP OVER THINGS GODDAMNIT

[6:58 PM]

Fourth, all of what he said other than the money things are true. People shouldn’t matter about all of it at all.

There was a cheat code of the first Tomb Raider game release to have the playable character completely naked. And did anyone complain about it as it could be enabled by a 10yo ? No ? Then why would you f******* complain to a joke, unused texture or not shown texture of a pantie OF A F*******

F I C T I O N A L C H A R A C T E R

[7:02 PM]

Anyways, I’m out and i better not see anyone talking about the controversy for now (Especially in a bad way.). I might end up killing you at one point.

legaia, why do you feel the need to defend bad behavior? These responses only make me want to steer clear of the game due to the developer being an ass. What part of these responses are addressing the issue and making the situation better? Swearing at someone asking questions and saying none of this matters isn’t resolving any of the concerns.

Honestly Gamejolt ads are enabled by default so fuck you all thinking this has been enabled by bolt himself

If they know this, why not disable them?

Second, Artist gets paid by doing commission over this IP, sonic omens can be considered as an art for some persons, so since one person does think that way it is considered as an ART. If omens cannot get money out of this, then Artist can’t either.

Considering they are using someone else’s IP (Sega), they legally shouldn’t be monetizing any of this.

Third, All of that story about the controversy is pissing me off and if i see anyone talking about it i’ll just block them instantly.

That will make it better, surely…

It’s been fucking 2 years now. F******* GROW UP OVER THINGS GODDAMNIT

With responses like this, no wonder people are still conflicted.

Fourth, all of what he said other than the money things are true. People shouldn’t matter about all of it at all.

I disagree. Monetizing someone else’s work without their permission shouldn’t happen. This should be freeware with no expectation of monetary gain.

There was a cheat code of the first Tomb Raider game release to have the playable character completely naked. And did anyone complain about it as it could be enabled by a 10yo ? No ? Then why would you f******* complain to a joke, unused texture or not shown texture of a pantie OF A F*******

F I C T I O N A L C H A R A C T E R

It wasn’t right then, it isn’t right now.

Anyways, I’m out and i better not see anyone talking about the controversy for now (Especially in a bad way.). I might end up killing you at one point.

Sociopath maybe?

2 Likes

I didn’t read that part at the end there. That person is going a little bit crazy lol!

Also, just verified. Eva Musido on the Sonic Omens Discord made the Maria texture and she is a girl so…But, she should have known what would happen though since we live in ‘cancel culture’…

Because it’s a bunch of trivial nonsense that is being blown way out of proportion. And the game shouldn’t be damned because of it.

-It was up to you to give them money. Your choice
-Again the game is free to play
-All the devs made up and are still currently friends
-Regarding the Cars song, people put other people’s music in ‘fan games’ all the time. And the game isn’t official anyways
-The Maria texture as I pointed out above was made by a female dev. And of course cancel culture is trying to destroy the game because of her poor choice of a joke.

Are people really going to miss out on a good Sonic fangame because of this garbage?

I understand that and you don’t have to but ‘in my opinon’ the devs have explained their side of the story with most issues being resolved. And most of it is trivial at best is all I’m saying.

All of the accusations have recently been addressed by the development team:

If this conflict is not resolved as of now, I would like to point out a few things.
1:The evidence for the evidence of the person who made the texture is not full, and does not show a good enough chunk of the conversation to prove that it was all in good fun.
2:We would need a good explanation from the VA of Eggman to PROVE that they are in good terms, and without the other devs watching, as to know that he is comfortable or not speaking of the situation.
3:In the Censorship Drama paragraph, there is no evidence of anyone being toxic to players or devs.
4:There is no evidence that they we’re unaware of the ad revenue on GameJolt.
5:There’s no evidence of a #Sonic-Omens-Leaks channel in the screenshot.
Anyway, I just wanted to put my personal input on this old drama. I would like to remain unbiased. Sorry if this causes any problems.