Sin city is

pretty damn intense. i saw it two nights ago and it was quite a trip. it’s certainly not for everyone, as was demonstrated by the few groups of people i saw walking out of it, but anyone accustomed to takashi miike films should be able to handle sin city. i think the reason those people walked out was because they were expecting sky captain or batman and had no clue what frank miller’s sin city actually was.

again, if you are a fan of takashi miike (ichi the killer, audition, happiness of the katakuris, gozu and many many many many many many many more) or if you were extremely comfortable with the most violent segments of kill bill, sin city is a damn fine film.

i don’t know if or when this will reach you europeans and new zealanders (have you even heard of it yet?) but here’s a couple trailers to whet your pallete: apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

Yeah I’ve heard of it and plan on seeing it when I get the chance.I heard Tarantino had a a part (not a role) in it.Is that true?

deleted

and he did it for $1 too, it was the completion of a deal the two had made when rodriguez scored killbill for $1.

i thought elijah wood and rutger hauer (hadn’t seen him since bladerunner!) were perfectly creepy. did you detect a bladerunner reference in the scene where [size=9]mickey rourke killed rutger hauer? it looked like he crushed his head the same way rutger hauer had crushed the tyrell corporation CEO’s head in bladerunner[/size]. maybe i’m remembering it differently…

I saw the movie the day it came out. People i’ve talked to seemed to have a love it or hate it mentality to it. I on the other hand thought it was o.k.

I like it was made pretty much frame by frame from the books, but for me the constant narration by the main character for that part of the movie got annoying eventually.

well i’m glad it took the number one spot in the States instead of the dross like Beautyshop.

I hearted it.

it’s not noir without the internal monologues.

Guess noir isn’t my thing then. I always liked trying to decide on my own what the character was thinking in a movie atleast.

i can appreciate it for how infrequently it comes up these days; memento is the only other modern movie i can think of that employed the noir method of storytelling. i admit i have a personal interest in the 40s era and that likely influences my view of it all - but frank miller also wrote the story that way (and actually, most comic books use internal monologues).

side note: i was looking through some old topics and noticed that you had addressed a few messages to me that i had not seen. i’ll read more carefully from now on.