Similar Universe

So guys, i was wondering if you guys ever have tried to find a similar universe to the one in panzer dragoon? i like the idea of Vast nothing with Specks of civilization…With this idea i found some. with this, please be gentle i mean this in a very vague connection. but the World in the games Ico and Shadow of Colossus on the PS2 really remind me of thew world in Saga, or Zwei, like vast ruins with lots of space in between. any thoughts? or do i seem like an idiot

No need to be so cautious about it Brigadewing, trust me. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Panzer Dragoon fan who doesn’t also appreciate Team ICO / Fumito Ueda’s worlds - assuming they’ve played those games of course.

A lot of people seem to regard them as the only peers of an otherwise peerless category.

ah well, i didnt want to seem like the new guy on the forum that just seems silly. but im glad others appreciate it, i mean given its regarded as “oh that must play game” but i still enjoy it enough to put up with goobers that wont shut up about it. Is their any other games kind of like that? its not really a genre i can throw a name on. “games with vast nothing and very vague story” haha.

I definitely agree with Shadow of the Colossus! The only other game I can think of now with similar themes is Skies of Arcadia. :anjou_happy:

Some similar themed anime you might want to check out include:

Last Exile
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa Valley of the Wind
Vision of Escaflowne

Welcome to the forums, Brigadewing.

I enjoyed Ico and Shadow of the Colossus as well and await The Last Guardian with anticipation.

Interestingly, the Ico series has gone from sequel to a (possible) prequel like the Panzer Dragoon series. I wonder if The Last Guardian will tie up some of the loose ends like Panzer Dragoon Saga did (if indeed it is part of the same series) or if all of the unanswered questions in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus will remain unanswered. Fumito Ueda has stated that he wanted to leave the question of whether Shadow of the Colossus was a prequel open to the player’s interpretation, so it may be that the stories of it and Ico will be left alone (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

By the way, does anyone know of a good Team Ico fan site? I’ve come across thecursedlands.com but it seems kind of abandoned. It has some nice art, but there’s spare updates and the forums are full of spam (a bit like TWOTA’s guestbook at the moment :anjou_embarassed:).

Just found these two sites on Ico and Shadow of the Colossus:

youwerethere.com/
theforbiddenland.com/

Looks like I have some interesting reading to do.

yea man i totally forgot about skies of arcadia, thats right in there isnt it?

and the next team ICO game is going to be rad, cant wait for that.

Yeah the Last Guardian! But yesterday it was posted that Sony abandoned the ‘trademark’! I’m assuming it only means that they will renew it or, change the name soon. I hope at the very least… I’ve been waiting for this game for a long time and so have the fans. I hope everything works out and the game is released soon. As in early next year.

So, I don’t know; can anyone think of any other games that have Panzer-like themes or atmosphere?

Besides the fairly recent PSN game Journey and Beyond Good and Evil: there is one other game I discovered and played not too long ago called Outcast. It was very unique and had a similar feeling to Panzer Dragoon’s alien world: Here is a trailer: You can even ride a Coolia-like animal!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHTNj_hSl0)

Oh, and the music is just simply amazing! :anjou_happy:

Has anyone played Journey on the PS3? I have yet to play it, but it definitely seems to fit in this category of games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhS6tXtN7U

Other than that, I’d also include Ecco the Dolphin and its sequel in this list. The setting is of course underwater and there’s not a lot of open space (at least not for the 16bit games, I haven’t played the Dreamcast game) but it does convey that sense of loneliness as you explore the levels that you’d find in games like Panzer Dragoon.

Here are some images of Outcast:

squarefaction.ru/files/game/964/ … ae96c0.jpg
dakkster.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/364.jpg
joystickdivision.com/outcast.jpg
gridcycle.com/wp-content/upl … cast1b.jpg
image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/i … een002.jpg
outcastii.free.fr/www/main/scree … oc1/p4.jpg
starfetch.com/keywords/Outca … _PC__9.jpg

[quote=“legaiaflame”]Here are some images of Outcast:
[/quote]

I have to say those images look awesome, though the bag of onions sure makes me want to play the game.

Xenogears has some similarities with the ancient excavated tech (except it’s mechs, not dragons) and overall bleak atmosphere, although it’s intersected with more lighthearted elements iirc. The game feels a bit unfinished compared to higher budget Square games like Final Fantasy (for example the mini games aren’t quite as numerous or fun as those in FFVII, and the game is only on two discs so doesn’t have the same wealth of content either) but it’s worth playing.

Xenoblade is worth playing too but isn’t nearly as bleak or with that sort of theme, it’s more like a single player MMORPG with a huge varied world a unique combat system and some downfalls that come with it all. At least up to the point I’m in, it’s kinda joined my backlog lately, but I fully intend to finish it at some point, I just got distracted by some other games then didn’t pick it back up.

I can’t really think of any games that are similar to Panzer Dragoon, maybe just also interesting to explore. I’d maybe list things like Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, the Avernum series, and other such CRPGs. Oh, and if Ecco the Dolphin counts than Aquaria probably should also.